Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Tommyboy coming in here and talking up the kid is going to have any impact on anything. None of us have any control on whether or not the Gophers recruit him. Tommyboy is clearly very passionate about the kids future but it does zero good to come in here touting this kid over our currently committed future QB.

Tanner Morgan is the perfect example of someone who was under-recruited coming out of high school. But he is the exception more then the rule. Typically if nobody is offering there is a reason. maybe they are all wrong but there is a reason.

I am not saying coming in here and being a "proud papa" is going to have any impact (we are human), I am saying if they act like that in the real world and make statements like this it is not good for the kid. Also, regardless I would be embarrassed as a kid if my relative was building me up in an online forum. Nothing more, nothing less, he can take it or leave it. It was just my observation that may be way off base.

Just speaking the truth, lets all see what happens in a few years that is all I am saying. Look at the kid from Blaine who is playing for Stanford, I do not believe the U of MN even looked at the kid. Honor student who contributed as a freshman. The type of kid you want to fill your school with.

Just speaking the truth, lets all see what happens in a few years that is all I am saying. Look at the kid from Blaine who is playing for Stanford, I do not believe the U of MN even looked at the kid. Honor student who contributed as a freshman. The type of kid you want to fill your school with.

Annotation.png

"As a Freshman - Did not see action"

Contributed as a freshman to what? The number of players standing on the sideline?

He went to Stanford as a PWO. Assuming his family can afford it, anyone who would choose to walk on at the U of M over walking on at Stanford is an idiot.

And I assure you that if you "fill your school" with Jason Kauls at the Power 5 level, you will likely lose all of your games.

Look, I'm sorry that your son isn't getting an offer to play for the Gophers, but the reality is that he's probably just not good enough. And there's no shame in that - very few HS football players are good enough to play in the Big Ten.

Wow! Can you say angry. It is a discussion on sports, lets get real. Not my kid, and by the way the kid has a few Div. 1 offers already and he is 16. I know a lot of kids in the state. Just for your information the kids got a A as a 16 year old through the University's engineer program course this year. I would fill my team with players like Kauls any day of the week, smart kid, 6' 4" great athlete and family. Same type of kid that attends St. Johns. I believe he was recognized as a special teams player in the conference as a true freshman.

Wow! Can you say angry. It is a discussion on sports, lets get real. Not my kid, and by the way the kid has a few Div. 1 offers already and he is 16. I know a lot of kids in the state. Just for your information the kids got a A as a 16 year old through the University's engineer program course this year. I would fill my team with players like Kauls any day of the week, smart kid, 6' 4" great athlete and family. Same type of kid that attends St. Johns. I believe he was recognized as a special teams player in the conference as a true freshman.

At least have your story straight if you are going to stand on your soapbox. DPO posted the kids bio from the Stanford website where it clearly says he didn't play as a freshman. So I find it really hard to believe that the conference recognized him for his special teams play.

As for your obsession over at TG, you have made your case. If the U decides to recruit him at some point great. If they don't ever offer I will be willing to put my trust in the guys whose livelihood depends on recruiting that there was a good reason for why they didn't.

Wow! Can you say angry.

I'm not angry at all, just annoyed and you and posters like you coming on here to pimp out your son/nephew/friend/classmate/etc. No one who makes decisions for the Gophers reads these boards. If you really want to help your son out, build relationships with the coaching staff and get your son's materials over to them.

It is a discussion on sports, lets get real. Not my kid, and by the way the kid has a few Div. 1 offers already and he is 16. I know a lot of kids in the state.

giphy.gif

Not your kid, and yet almost every post you have is about him. Yes, we all believe you.

And I never said he wasn't worthy of Division I offers. There is a tremendous difference between the bottom of Division I and the Big Ten. He's not going to play for the Gophers, unless he wants to walk on. Get over it.

Just for your information the kids got a A as a 16 year old through the University's engineer program course this year.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything, but congratulations to him. And you would totally be in a position to know this if you aren't his father. Totally.

I would fill my team with players like Kauls any day of the week, smart kid, 6' 4" great athlete and family.

In the Big Ten? Go ahead - you would lose virtually every game. There's a reason he didn't get scholarship offers and walked on at Stanford. I'm sure he is very smart (he's going to Stanford), but that alone won't win you football games.

Same type of kid that attends St. Johns.

St. John's would get annihilated in every single game if they played in the Big Ten. They no longer even compete nationally at their own level. If I'm coaching football for the University of Minnesota and recruiting to fill out my roster, I could not care less what type of player attends St. John's. Those players are not worth my time.

I believe he was recognized as a special teams player in the conference as a true freshman.

I believe you are wrong. As posted above from Stanford's own website, he did not see the field. How would he get recognized as a special teams player if he literally did not play a down?

Right, just like the kid starting at NDSU. They have it all figured out, that is why 50% of 5 star QB's out of high school are in the portal or not starting.

I'm not angry at all, just annoyed and you and posters like you coming on here to pimp out your son/nephew/friend/classmate/etc. No one who makes decisions for the Gophers reads these boards. If you really want to help your son out, build relationships with the coaching staff and get your son's materials over to them.

giphy.gif

Not your kid, and yet almost every post you have is about him. Yes, we all believe you.

And I never said he wasn't worthy of Division I offers. There is a tremendous difference between the bottom of Division I and the Big Ten. He's not going to play for the Gophers, unless he wants to walk on. Get over it.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything, but congratulations to him. And you would totally be in a position to know this if you aren't his father. Totally.

In the Big Ten? Go ahead - you would lose virtually every game. There's a reason he didn't get scholarship offers and walked on at Stanford. I'm sure he is very smart (he's going to Stanford), but that alone won't win you football games.

St. John's would get annihilated in every single game if they played in the Big Ten. They no longer even compete nationally at their own level. If I'm coaching football for the University of Minnesota and recruiting to fill out my roster, I could not care less what type of player attends St. John's. Those players are not worth my time.

I believe you are wrong. As posted above from Stanford's own website, he did not see the field. How would he get recognized as a special teams player if he literally did not play a down?
Only three QB's threw for over 5,000 yards in the country this year and one was from St. John's. They also have a lineman participating in the Reeses Bowl and he will be drafted.

Only three QB's threw for over 5,000 yards in the country this year and one was from St. John's.

Again, that has literally nothing to do with anything, but congratulations to him. He wouldn't see the field in the Big Ten.

They also have a lineman participating in the Reeses Bowl and he will be drafted.

Wonderful. He is probably the best player in St. John's history. Meanwhile, the Gophers have had 267 players drafted into the NFL - and they've been a bad-to-mediocre Big Ten team for most of the past 50 years.

Kaul’s stats actually show he played in one game and made 1 tackle. Whether or not that’s accurate, it’s a far cry from being “recognized” by his conference.

It was a very good tackle, earning him ST recognition in PAC 12

Right, just like the kid starting at NDSU. They have it all figured out, that is why 50% of 5 star QB's out of high school are in the portal or not starting.

Not one person would be stupid enough to claim that recruiting is an exact science. As I posted earlier Tanner Morgan is a perfect example of a kid who was under recruited out of high school and was headed to the MAC until Fleck was hired here and brought him along for the ride. It happens all the time.

Maybe your boy will be another one of those stories of the kid who was overlooked and blew up. To be clear, none of us are rooting against him (although if you keep pushing so hard some of us might turn). He just isn't a factor to us because as of this point the Gophers have not offered so there is really no point in investing a lot of energy in him.

Again, that has literally nothing to do with anything, but congratulations to him. He wouldn't see the field in the Big Ten.

Jackson Erdmann had quite the journey. Walked on at Penn State, and eventually transferred to St. John's where he has lit it up. So your point is valid, couldn't cut it in the Big Ten so he dropped down to a level where he could play and do really well.

Tommyboy citing the # of yards he threw for at St. John's is just silly because it has no bearing on anything since the level of competition is so different then what a player would face in the Big Ten.

Jackson Erdmann had quite the journey. Walked on at Penn State, and eventually transferred to St. John's where he has lit it up. So your point is valid, couldn't cut it in the Big Ten so he dropped down to a level where he could play and do really well.

Tommyboy citing the # of yards he threw for at St. John's is just silly because it has no bearing on anything since the level of competition is so different then what a player would face in the Big Ten.
Once again just reporting facts, pretty impressive to be one of 3 QB's in the country to throw for over 5,000 yards, let alone in Minnesota weather, pretty cool.

Does 247 only put up profiles for 3* and above?

Just curious why Jason Kaul didn't have a 247 profile. At least I don't see one on Google. I saw that he was 2018 KARE All-metro, for whatever that is worth. So seems like a player the Dakotas would offer, at least?

Just would be curious to know who offered him scholly and PWO.

I'm sure there are plenty of All-metro players who never get a P5 scholly offer, and that's fine.

I'm pretty sympathetic to the idea that the Gophers miss on a couple instate players a year that usually end up at NDSU or similar. Although I think this is mostly OL and DL; I'm much more confident in school's ability to evaluate skilled positions like QB while talent and potential on the lines is more unpredictable.

But coming on here like this to tout your kid (or relative/friend/whoever) is pathetic. I'm sure he would feel the same. Please stop embarrassing him. If he's a talented HS QB things will be fine for him however they may play out.

Once again just reporting facts, pretty impressive to be one of 3 QB's in the country to throw for over 5,000 yards, let alone in Minnesota weather, pretty cool.

It is an impressive number and makes for an interesting trivia question very few would get right but it doesn't mean much of anything when you factor in the competition he was up against.

You mix facts like this in with your crusade for your guy at TG and act like they somehow prove you are right.

It is an impressive number and makes for an interesting trivia question very few would get right but it doesn't mean much of anything when you factor in the competition he was up against.

You mix facts like this in with your crusade for your guy at TG and act like they somehow prove you are right.
Once again just sports facts in our state, I did not know the hall monitor was in charge of all the conversations in the hall. The only reason I keep on talking about the TG QB is people keep on making comments that are looking for a fight. Not looking for one.

PJ placed his bet on his horse, already. He's not going to take the TG QB unless it's as a PWO.

I'm pretty sympathetic to the idea that the Gophers miss on a couple instate players a year that usually end up at NDSU or similar. Although I think this is mostly OL and DL; I'm much more confident in school's ability to evaluate skilled positions like QB while talent and potential on the lines is more unpredictable.

But coming on here like this to tout your kid (or relative/friend/whoever) is pathetic. I'm sure he would feel the same. Please stop embarrassing him. If he's a talented HS QB things will be fine for him however they may play out.
Hello NE Minneapolis, not touting anyone, if you know kids that have played in our state their whole lives and know the kids and their friends, you would be routing for all of them, which I am. all I have done is respond to comments that have been directed towards me. I love watching these local kids develop and achieve.

PJ placed his bet on his horse, already. He's not going to take the TG QB unless it's as a PWO.
I would agree to that, he even gave up a scholarship to his brother to get him. Both QB are really good, I have watched both of them complete.

Only three QB's threw for over 5,000 yards in the country this year and one was from St. John's. They also have a lineman participating in the Reeses Bowl and he will be drafted.

Yes, the QB was a walk-on at Penn State....couldn't cut it and transferred to SJU. (I"m assuming you're trying to allude to him being able to play D1 due to your following up of a teammate potentially getting drafted.)

Yes, the QB was a walk-on at Penn State....couldn't cut it and transferred to SJU. (I"m assuming you're trying to allude to him being able to play D1 due to your following up of a teammate potentially getting drafted.)
Not really, just thought it was impressive that we had 1 of 3 QB's in the country throw for 5,000 yards. I heard that some teams are looking at him for the practice squad, like the old Gopher QB.

Just curious why Jason Kaul didn't have a 247 profile. At least I don't see one on Google. I saw that he was 2018 KARE All-metro, for whatever that is worth. So seems like a player the Dakotas would offer, at least?

I'm sure there are plenty of All-metro players who never get a P5 scholly offer, and that's fine.
They seem to only do a few major players early, and then fill out the rest of the class as they move into their senior season. They only just added Eastern when he committed to the Gophers back in December.

I bet I could throw for 5000 yards against middle schoolers. Maybe the U needs to offer me.

You will find profiles for 2* and lower players but I am sure there are plenty of guys that get missed. No idea what criteria they use to determine who gets a profile and who doesn't.

Side note, it sounds like the OL from Illinois is going to be visiting
#15 Illinois recruit in Cameron James a 6"8 OT is visiting with his parents and has a MN Crystal Ball on 247
#13 Illinois recruit is also on campus this weekend. Jameson Geers a TE.

We already have 3 top 17 Illinois recruits committed in.

#3 QB Athan Kaliakmanis
#4 Ath Sam Jackson
#17 WR Dino Kaliakmanis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom