Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI All-American Top 25 Football Recruiting Class Rankings

18. Minnesota (19)

17 Verbal Commitments, 2 in the SI99

PJ Fleck and company recently added Florida defensive lineman Luther McCoy to the 2021 haul in a group headlined by defenders. It's led by a pair of Nickel prospects we dig in Steven Ortiz and Avantae Dickerson. However, do not sleep on QB Athan Kaliakmanis. His moxie, movement skills, competitiveness and solid arm talent are traits to be developed into a starter for head coach PJ Fleck. TE Jameson Geers should be a factor in the passing game around the seams in a few seasons.

Go Gophers!!

Haven’t heard much buzz for anyone other than Townley. Do we only really have a spot or two still open?

Haven’t heard much buzz for anyone other than Townley. Do we only really have a spot or two still open?
Depends on TBD decision regarding if super-seniors from covid count against scholarship limits.

Yeah, secretly hoping Ortiz and the guys pushed him to flip and given Michigan's season, we could flip

I think it depends on how we treat the SR class this year. It's really a guessing game this year. I'd guess we have 1-2 guaranteed spots but we also want some flexibility because there will be a lot of grad transfers and essentially player movement chaos over the next couple of years.

That's just my guess too.

Remember - with SR's being granted another year of eligibility, it is up to each school to decide whether they want to fund extra scholarships. Some schools may say 85 is a hard limit - other schools may fund additional scholarships to accomodate returning SR's and still sign a full class of FR.

Fleck has said that he will be allowed to have more than 85 players on scholarship next year, but he did not give an exact number.

So it all depends on that that number is - and how many SR's want to come back.

Remember - with SR's being granted another year of eligibility, it is up to each school to decide whether they want to fund extra scholarships. Some schools may say 85 is a hard limit - other schools may fund additional scholarships to accomodate returning SR's and still sign a full class of FR.

Fleck has said that he will be allowed to have more than 85 players on scholarship next year, but he did not give an exact number.

So it all depends on that that number is - and how many SR's want to come back.
Do you have a link on the more than 85 allowed next year? Have not seen any official decisions on that yet. Thank you

Honestly I don’t blame kids for leaving but playing in the PAC-12? Laughable.

Why? If he chose ASU, he'd be playing under a HC who was a long time NFL HC and is widely admired as a phenomenal human being, co-DC's that are a long time NFL HC/DC and a Pro Bowler w/ a Super Bowl ring, and a defensive line coach that was assistant and understudy to Andre Patterson the previous 5 years. Their DL coach can legitimately claim "Look, I saw how Danielle Hunter, a freakshow athlete that was behind on football experience and technique, became who he is now and was a part of it. Here's how we'll do the same with you."

And if he turns into an NFL talent, one of the offensive assistants and presumptive OL coach soon is a HOFer that was a 2x president of the NFLPA in Kevin Mawae. And the AD was a long time agent. They've got advice that goes far beyond "This is how you use your hands".

If he chose Oregon State or something, absolutely it would be weird, but ASU is a presumptive top 3 finalist for the #1 player in the nation at the exact same position and there's a reason for it. If a guy's trying to get to the NFL and he knows he needs a lot of coaching in limited practice hours, there have been worse decisions.

That being said, I hope you guys get the Nebraska kid. We had a comparable CB not sign, though we're told his issues are transcript.

And if Townley doesn't go to ASU, I very much hope it's MN. So long as it's not Pedo State.

Last edited:

Why? If he chose ASU, he'd be playing under a HC who was a long time NFL HC and is widely admired as a phenomenal human being, co-DC's that are a long time NFL HC/DC and a Pro Bowler w/ a Super Bowl ring, and a defensive line coach that was assistant and understudy to Andre Patterson the previous 5 years. Their DL coach can legitimately claim "Look, I saw how Danielle Hunter, a freakshow athlete that was behind on football experience and technique, became who he is now and was a part of it. Here's how we'll do the same with you."

And if he turns into an NFL talent, one of the offensive assistants and presumptive OL coach soon is a HOFer that was a 2x president of the NFLPA in Kevin Mawae. And the AD was a long time agent. They've got advice that goes far beyond "This is how you use your hands".

If he chose Oregon State or something, absolutely it would be weird, but ASU is a presumptive top 3 finalist for the #1 player in the nation at the exact same position and there's a reason for it. If a guy's trying to get to the NFL and he knows he needs a lot of coaching in limited practice hours, there have been worse decisions.

That being said, I hope you guys get the Nebraska kid. We had a comparable CB not sign, though we're told his issues are transcript.

And if Townley doesn't go to ASU, I very much hope it's MN. So long as it's not Pedo State.

If Herm Edwards was so good, why didn't he offer Kristoff kryasjdkfnsklsmle from Totino Grace?

If Herm Edwards was so good, why didn't he offer Kristoff kryasjdkfnsklsmle from Totino Grace?

Well I'm sure they tried but from what I am to understand, he was all Tommie and they had no chance.

Since he wouldn't give ASU the time of day, I gather we're just going to ride what we have or take marginal 3 and 4 stars until that Jaden Rashada legacy guy (who probably sucks) shows up in a few years.

edit: also, if Jaden Rashada happens to deep dive google looking for his name in the next few years, ASU people don't think you suck. That was the joke. Go to Tempe #1 QB in the class.

Last edited:

Well I'm sure they tried but from what I am to understand, he was all Tommie and they had no chance.

Since he wouldn't give ASU the time of day, I gather we're just going to ride what we have until that Jaden Rashada legacy guy (who probably sucks) shows up in a year or two.

That sucks for the rest of us. He was 6'2" in the 10th grade. 6'2" IN 10th GRADE!!!!!!!!

That sucks for the rest of us. He was 6'2" in the 10th grade. 6'2" IN 10th GRADE!!!!!!!!

I mean you can't win all of them.

Memes aside, I hope the kid does well. I know nothing about him beyond that I guess his dad or #1 fan posts a lot here. I'm sure he'll be a good player. If he turns into Aaron Rodgers 2.0, please have his father/fan let Herm Edwards know. Though I guess I assumed NDSU had the 'criminally underrated upper midwest QB' market on lockdown.

Last edited:

Honestly, not reading all that. I was joking.

Do you have a link on the more than 85 allowed next year? Have not seen any official decisions on that yet. Thank you

1st - from a 247 recruiting site:

247Sports’ Greg Biggins said in the recent 247Sports Recruiting podcast that he’s hearing from coaches that the NCAA is expecting programs to return to the limit of 85 scholarship players by 2022.

"I was talking to a couple college coaches and here is the situation -- the 2021 class won't be affected at all," Biggins said. "Schools are going to be able to sign over their 85 limit. ... They are going to allow seniors to basically re-classify and play their senior year again. The '21 class won't be affected by that. You can have 95 guys on scholarship next year.

And from Chip Scoggins in the Strib:

Normally, the NCAA limits FBS football teams to 85 scholarships. With the eligibility waiver in place, schools are permitted to go over that number. Whether they do so is up to each individual school.

Football teams could have more than 100 players on scholarship next season. Some undoubtedly will stick to 85 because of the extra cost in a tough economic climate, but rest assured that others — perhaps many in Power Five leagues — will exceed that limit since they have the option.

Fleck said Monday that he "definitely will be able to go over the limit," but that he doesn't know the exact number. "It's not going to be an astronomical number," Fleck said.

Coaches are also expecting the transfer portal to be without penalty this year, or at least hoping. As in a dude who played at Bama a few weeks ago might be able to transfer, even without grad status, and still be immediately playable.

It's not official and might not happen, but there are some that believe it will be a thing and are planning accordingly.

Coaches are also expecting the transfer portal to be without penalty this year, or at least hoping. As in a dude who played at Bama a few weeks ago might be able to transfer, even without grad status, and still be immediately playable.

It's not official and might not happen, but there are some that believe it will be a thing and are planning accordingly.
Dear Transfer Portal,
Please send us a kicker, a punter, 3 linebackers, and maybe a safety or cornerback.
Sincerely,
Word

Carson Hinzman

Carson Hinzman Saint Croix Central (Hammond, WI)
6-4 / 270
112 4 2
Cool+22 others
OG

Does anyone know about this kid? Any insight?

Carson Hinzman

Carson Hinzman Saint Croix Central (Hammond, WI)
6-4 / 270
112 4 2
Cool+22 others
OG

Does anyone know about this kid? Any insight?
Looks like a 2022 rated #2 in Wisconsin and Crystal Ball is 100% Wisconsin right now. Has offers from everyone including Alabama according to 247. Wisconsin has 3 4* OL's in the state for next year.

Looks like a 2022 rated #2 in Wisconsin and Crystal Ball is 100% Wisconsin right now. Has offers from everyone including Alabama according to 247. Wisconsin has 3 4* OL's in the state for next year.

He stinks.

ASU has loads of nfl coaching experience, BUT they’ve never actually developed and put a DE in the nfl at this point. It looks good on paper though.

So in other words he is an offensive lineman, likely a guard, trying to play QB and impress the coaches at summer camps that his dad paid for. Coaches take a look and say "wow look at that O lineman playing QB"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom