Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obviously from EP, more of a DE than the 3-4 rush end he’s been at Georgia. No inside info but might be one to keep an eye on.

From what I can tell, Johnson played two years at Georgia. Nothing overwhelming, he contributed some tackles and some sacks. I assume he has one year left due to this year not counting. It would be very interesting if he wanted to come back and try and improve his NFL stock on his home turf.

Very interesting. A position of need too. He would definitely be worth a look I would think if he wants to come home.

I go to the University of Minnesota, you probably live in one of the ghettos around it.
Assuming this tool Tommyboy is banned after a statement like this. I hope you can read this TommyTool; go ahead and start a UST Tommie board and try to sell your BS there but this time, cut out the bigot speech.

Assuming this tool Tommyboy is banned after a statement like this. I hope you can read this TommyTool; go ahead and start a UST Tommie board and try to sell your BS there but this time, cut out the bigot speech.
I am pretty sure tommyboy of reference to a Chris Farley character

If it was a UST thing it’d be Tommieboy

Obviously from EP, more of a DE than the 3-4 rush end he’s been at Georgia. No inside info but might be one to keep an eye on.

I weighed in on the thread about him speculating that we wouldn't have interest in 2 one year guys at the same position (LB). But if he projected as a DE in our system that could change things and might up the interest the staff would have in him.

I weighed in on the thread about him speculating that we wouldn't have interest in 2 one year guys at the same position (LB). But if he projected as a DE in our system that could change things and might up the interest the staff would have in him.
Yeah, he might work as like a Thomas Rush type. Not sure he’d fit well as a true linebacker in our system. I’m honestly not that intrigued. I’d rather have Spielman if I had to pick one.

I see Allen Trieu just flipped his crystal ball for Townley from Minnesota to ASU. Drats. Who will fill that spot? Johnson on a transfer?

He does have it as a 1 on his confidence level which does leave a little bit of hope there. I'm gonna cling to it
I have zero confidence.

Seen this show so many times before, usually with basketball though. Young man is supposedly "agonizing with the decision", but they always go elsewhere.

Just come out and say it. You want out of Mpls/Minnesota, for a change in your life. Nothing wrong with that.

Worst thing you can possible do: string people along. Just makes them even more bitter. (like me)

Yeah, he might work as like a Thomas Rush type. Not sure he’d fit well as a true linebacker in our system. I’m honestly not that intrigued. I’d rather have Spielman if I had to pick one.

If Jermaine Johnson has interest in coming home, you absolutely take him. Would be NUTS not to with the current state of the defense. The Gophers are in the market for all the defensive help they can get right now, and JJ would be one of the 3 best guys on our defense next year. He has had 4 sacks in the past 5 games in the SEC.... he's legit.

I have zero confidence.

Seen this show so many times before, usually with basketball though. Young man is supposedly "agonizing with the decision", but they always go elsewhere.

Just come out and say it. You want out of Mpls/Minnesota, for a change in your life. Nothing wrong with that.

Worst thing you can possible do: string people along. Just makes them even more bitter. (like me)
The only thing with this one is that I'm not overly concerned about it because we already have a really good recruiting class. It would be great to have him but he's not essential with all of the guys PJ has put together. PJ has proven his ability to recruit.

Pitino is a different story as it always seems like the guy we're waiting on would be Pitino's top recruit.

If Jermaine Johnson has interest in coming home, you absolutely take him. Would be NUTS not to with the current state of the defense. The Gophers are in the market for all the defensive help they can get right now, and JJ would be one of the 3 best guys on our defense next year. He has had 4 sacks in the past 5 games in the SEC.... he's legit.
He would have to play Mafe’s position. I don’t think he would work as a linebacker in a 4-2-5 scheme.

He would have to play Mafe’s position. I don’t think he would work as a linebacker in a 4-2-5 scheme.
Sorry, where are you getting this notion that he HAS to play in Mafe's spot?? He's an athlete... you put him opposite Mafe and have them roll with D'Angelo Carter and a TBD on the inside and finally we'd have a formidable DL for the first time in who knows how long.

Also, I don't mean to come off rude about this btown :). I could've worded better I guess, just my strong opinion.

Last edited:

Totally agree with this. Georgia is my second favorite team and I’m telling you, Johnson has the kind of athleticism that we rarely get to come to Minnesota. He starts immediately if he comes here and you find somewhere, anywhere, to get him on the field. The only question in my mind would be does he want to come? With him on one side and Mafe on the other, QB’s are not going to be comfortable playing us.

Sorry, where are you getting this notion that he HAS to play in Mafe's spot?? He's an athlete... you put him opposite Mafe and have them roll with D'Angelo Carter and a TBD on the inside and finally we'd have a formidable DL for the first time in who knows how long.
True he could probably play the other DE spot if he can hold up vs the run. Seems more suited for the weak side. He’s going to want to start I’m guessing, that seems to be why he is leaving, wants more snaps. I’m okay with taking him, but think he would just be a bonus, doesn’t fill a huge need in my opinion.

Also, I don't mean to come off rude about this btown :). I could've worded better I guess, just my strong opinion.
We could have the first formidable d-line since 2019? You don’t say.

We have what, 7 sacks on the season? Yeah you take him.

I don’t really remember us being in the running at all the first time around, would be a little surprised if Johnson was interested now, but who knows, maybe he has family here still and wants to be closer.

I go to the University of Minnesota, you probably live in one of the ghettos around it.

No, you don't. I've never heard anyone refer to the areas (some of which are ghetto) as "one of the ghettos around it". Those ghettos have names and anyone who is really a student would have referred to it by the name.

I remember talking to Coach Kill at his first Sota Signing Day event. He indicated that he was working the phone long into the evening the night before. Must be tough for many players as well as they develop relationships with coaches and now they must turn one down or two.

Go for it Fleck!

No, you don't. I've never heard anyone refer to the areas (some of which are ghetto) as "one of the ghettos around it". Those ghettos have names and anyone who is really a student would have referred to it by the name.
Maybe he goes to Morris?

per Megan:

Deven Eastern sat in P.J. Fleck's office, his mother and his mentor by his side.

"Where have you been in your life up to this point," the Gophers coach asked the 17-year-old, "and what do you need in your life right now?"

The Shakopee defensive end could have given a surface-level answer, anything to preserve a recruiting relationship for the unranked player 12 months before Wednesday's early signing day. Telling the true story, all of its uncomfortable and vulnerable parts, was a risk.

But Eastern opened his mouth, and his heart came spilling out.

"He teared up and started talking to the coach about his life and what means the most to him," said his mentor, Mike Morris. "And it was very, very, very real."

Eastern spoke about his struggle with emotional behavioral disorders, his mom, his devotion to football, his dream to play in the NFL but more important, to be a good man. By the end of his deliverance, everyone was crying.

"He gave me a chance," Eastern said of Fleck. "He knew everything about my past. And he knew I had the potential to grow and become a better person. And that I've been working so hard.

"And he was the first guy to tell me that 'We'll get through it, and I'll help you through this. And we're more than just football here. We're family.'"

Go Gophers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom