Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

We now have ZERO available scholarships except for however many may arise out of the possible expulsions.
I believe that they are at 23 now and could go as high as 28. Am I calculating wrong?

Does it account for offering cashman and the kicker too?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

$man and ECarp can't be offered until next year's scholarships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$man and ECarp can't be offered until next year's scholarships.

So the scholarship count for this year goes until? When does next year start?

So the scholarship count for this year goes until? When does next year start?

Sometime in the Fall. They have to wait due to Walk-on rules. Someone else will know more detail. Been discussed on here.

Claeys didn't want him to stay- he didn't match the OC system. In fact, with his lack of arm strength and mobility he doesn't match any system. Don't get me wrong- I love the kids guile, perseverance, dedication and loyalty- but to act like this was a major get is embellishing at best

I stand corrected on his getting the boot...but what the heck was Claeys going to do without Leidner, Rhoda, Williams and Green? After the 10 were suspended he didn't get him back....he had Croft and McLaurin....that's awfully thin ice to be walking on in January. Was he going to pray that neither got injured or hope that William's and Green's suspensions got lifted? Fleck seems to have gotten control of the situation where the suspensions/expulsions won't sink the ship. I am not sure that was what would have happened under Claeys. I did not say getting Rhoda was a "major get" BTW. I think the body of his work....13 recruits and Conor Rhoda...14 guys who wouldn't have been here under Claeys...that is what is awesome.

Sometime in the Fall. They have to wait due to Walk-on rules. Someone else will know more detail. Been discussed on here.

Thanks for the info. I had asked about it yesterday but was still unclear about specifics

Walk on scholarships only count against the 85 if they are given after 2 years...before that they count against the 25 in the recruiting class. If your recruiting class was' t full, ie. like Minnesota's 2016 total of 21, I am not sure why you couldn't give one now especially since Moore transferred and perhaps Brian Smith had a scholarship (or not, he was a walk-on too) and he left. Does anyone know? Would a walk on scholarship for Carpenter/Cashman count against the 2016 or 2017 class capped at 25?

I believe that they are at 23 now and could go as high as 28. Am I calculating wrong?

It's not a matter of only being at 23- we have 85 total on scholarship including the commits. Obviously more will open up after January 27

I can't see a scenario where less than 5 scholarships open between now and National Signing Day so I'm assuming we'll have the full 28 allotment. I actually anticipate that we will use 28 and still enter the season with less than our full allotment of scholarship players.

Ryan Burns said in the last Gopher Gridiron Podcast that there are ways the Gophers can sign above 28. He didn't elaborate on that but I thought it was interesting.

Ryan Burns said in the last Gopher Gridiron Podcast that there are ways the Gophers can sign above 28. He didn't elaborate on that but I thought it was interesting.

May be referring to Grey Shirting although I would think PJ would rather keep his scholarships for next recruiting year when he has a full year to work his magic and sign 4* guys rather than settle for low-mid 3* guys.

May be referring to Grey Shirting although I would think PJ would rather keep his scholarships for next recruiting year when he has a full year to work his magic and sign 4* guys rather than settle for low-mid 3* guys.

Are you including the players with eligibility left who aren't coming back next year in your count?

Just listed to it again. Here is what Ryan Burns said

You might be thinking can't the Gophers only sign 25? Well no not Technically because they can sign three back and there are some other ncaa rules that I won't get into to confuse you even more where they can sign up to 31.

Ryan said he thinks this class will end up between 27-29.

I don't think so:
QB- 6. Rhoda, Croft, Green, Williams, Morgan, McLaurin

RB-6. McCrary, Smith, Brooks, Femi-Cole, London, Ibrahim.

WR- 11. Carter, Holland, Gentry, Still, Register (may be a S as we've discussed), Johnson, Howard, Drew, Bell, DD, van Dyne.

TE- 8. Woz, Lingen, Beebe, Witham, Kieft, Paulson, Umlor, Bursch.

OT- 5. Greene, Oseland, Connelly, Sassack, Andries.

OG- 9. Mayes, Calhoun, Wright, Weyler, Stieber, Dovich, Schlueter, Abojei, Schmitz.

OC-1. Olson.

DE- 7. Elmore, Gibson, Delat, Johnson, Devers, Otomewo, Hickox.

DT- 6. Jackson, Stelter, Richardson, Moore, Chambers, Croslen.

ILB- 4. Poock, Williams, Waters, Barber.

OLB- 6. Celestin, Huff, Coughlin, Martin, Guthrie, Jackson.

CB- 8. Shenault, Hardin, Buford, Thomas, Craighton, Durr, Creamer, Layne.

S- 5. McGhee, Ayinde, Huff, Johnson, Winfield.

K- 1. Ryerse.

P- 1. Santoso.

LS- 1. Jordahl.

I think that makes 85.

I don't think so:
QB- 6. Rhoda, Croft, Green, Williams, Morgan, McLaurin

RB-6. McCrary, Smith, Brooks, Femi-Cole, London, Ibrahim.

WR- 11. Carter, Holland, Gentry, Still, Register (may be a S as we've discussed), Johnson, Howard, Drew, Bell, DD, van Dyne.

TE- 8. Woz, Lingen, Beebe, Witham, Kieft, Paulson, Umlor, Bursch.

OT- 5. Greene, Oseland, Connelly, Sassack, Andries.

OG- 9. Mayes, Calhoun, Wright, Weyler, Stieber, Dovich, Schlueter, Abojei, Schmitz.

OC-1. Olson.

DE- 7. Elmore, Gibson, Delat, Johnson, Devers, Otomewo, Hickox.

DT- 6. Jackson, Stelter, Richardson, Moore, Chambers, Croslen.

ILB- 4. Poock, Williams, Waters, Barber.

OLB- 6. Celestin, Huff, Coughlin, Martin, Guthrie, Jackson.

CB- 8. Shenault, Hardin, Buford, Thomas, Craighton, Durr, Creamer, Layne.

S- 5. McGhee, Ayinde, Huff, Johnson, Winfield.

K- 1. Ryerse.

P- 1. Santoso.

LS- 1. Jordahl.

I think that makes 85.

This assumes that the 10 players aren't expelled or kicked off team.

That's already been expressed ad nauseum in my posts today referring to the CB situation. Some of the 10 aren't scholarship players though.

I thought Rhoda was only given a scholarship for last year with nothing promised beyond that. I could be wrong on that though. And is Jordahl on scholarship?

I thought I read somewhere on GH that was part of how PJ got him to come back. Yes Jordahl is on scholarship acc to 2 sources.

Claeys didn't want him to stay- he didn't match the OC system. In fact, with his lack of arm strength and mobility he doesn't match any system. Don't get me wrong- I love the kids guile, perseverance, dedication and loyalty- but to act like this was a major get is embellishing at best

There is nothing wrong with his arm strength.

Just listed to it again. Here is what Ryan Burns said

You might be thinking can't the Gophers only sign 25? Well no not Technically because they can sign three back and there are some other ncaa rules that I won't get into to confuse you even more where they can sign up to 31.

Ryan said he thinks this class will end up between 27-29.

I think taking that many would be very shortsighted. We only have 17 seniors next year- would be nice to have more offers with which PJ could work than that.

Believe the B1G allows you to over sign by 3. So the limit is 25 but you can over sign by 3 which gets you to 28 and then you can back date 3 early enrollees to your last class if you had room and that would get you to 31.

Believe the B1G allows you to over sign by 3. So the limit is 25 but you can over sign by 3 which gets you to 28 and then you can back date 3 early enrollees to your last class if you had room and that would get you to 31.

Again, we are at the max 85 scholarships as of this morning with 23 of them being committed this recruiting cycle. We may have up to 8 more available to use after Jan 27th. In my opinion it would be unintelligent to use all of those extra scholarships this year as there is already a significant imbalance between classes with only 17 seniors graduating this coming year.

Again, we are at the max 85 scholarships as of this morning with 23 of them being committed this recruiting cycle. We may have up to 8 more available to use after Jan 27th. In my opinion it would be unintelligent to use all of those extra scholarships this year as there is already a significant imbalance between classes with only 17 seniors graduating this coming year.

I'm sure some will leave the program like they always do.

Rather have 25 be available for PJ to have a whole year to fill rather than settle for 3* kids this year who will likely redshirt

Top Bottom