Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Again, we are at the max 85 scholarships as of this morning with 23 of them being committed this recruiting cycle. We may have up to 8 more available to use after Jan 27th. In my opinion it would be unintelligent to use all of those extra scholarships this year as there is already a significant imbalance between classes with only 17 seniors graduating this coming year.

We had fewer graduating this year so I don't quite see your point. We will have something like 14 RS juniors in 2017. Many of them will move on because they'll have graduated. Plenty of spots for next year.

We had fewer graduating this year so I don't quite see your point.

We also had a bunch of open scholarships which is what enabled us to get a full class this year (along with several juniors leaving early)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We also had a bunch of open scholarships which is what enabled us to get a full class this year (along with several juniors leaving early)

Pretty sure this is why we had the openings.

Don't think we had 11 juniors leave early?

Don't think we had 11 juniors leave early?

At least eight with eligibility left. TC also let one go during the season. Would have to research to see who else left during season.

Again, we are at the max 85 scholarships as of this morning with 23 of them being committed this recruiting cycle. We may have up to 8 more available to use after Jan 27th. In my opinion it would be unintelligent to use all of those extra scholarships this year as there is already a significant imbalance between classes with only 17 seniors graduating this coming year.

We are at 85...I think only Djam doesn't have a scholarship of the 10...we have taken our 3 early commits which will make us able to get 25 more (for a recruiting class of 28) and stay under the max. Thus we have 20 recruits (plus 3) and 5 more spots. If all 10 are gone, that would leave 76 used scholarships with 9 spots. We can use 5 spots and still stay under the 85 by 4.

The fact that Fleck is still recruiting hard when we are at 85 might be evidence that those players are not going to be back on the team no matter what happens on Jan. 27th. That he is continuing to recruit QBs might be evidence that Green and Williams are gone and if they are gone...then all of them are probably gone with the possible exception of Shenault.

We are at 85...I think only Djam doesn't have a scholarship of the 10...we have taken our 3 early commits which will make us able to get 25 more (for a recruiting class of 28) and stay under the max. Thus we have 20 recruits (plus 3) and 5 more spots. If all 10 are gone, that would leave 76 used scholarships with 9 spots. We can use 5 spots and still stay under the 85 by 4.

The fact that Fleck is still recruiting hard when we are at 85 might be evidence that those players are not going to be back on the team no matter what happens on Jan. 27th. That he is continuing to recruit QBs might be evidence that Green and Williams are gone and if they are gone...then all of them are probably gone with the possible exception of Shenault.

Firm grasp of the obvious. He'd be an idiot if he didn't keep recruiting since the fate is unknown. Extremely doubtful all are gone...2-3 have very strong cases due to the very wide net EOAA cast.

At least eight with eligibility left. TC also let one go during the season. Would have to research to see who else left during season.

The 8 that you refer to that were recognized at senior day included 4 non-scholarship players- Fahning, Matt Leidner, Conway and Harte. JJ, Moses Hall transferred. There were several left open to try and balance classes at the end of last recruiting cycle.

Your numbers are correct- hard to believe Green is gone given his complete lack of involvement. I certainly see that he could/should use several spots for DB depth and other needs and then he has 4 spots to add to next years small class.

We had fewer graduating this year so I don't quite see your point. We will have something like 14 RS juniors in 2017. Many of them will move on because they'll have graduated. Plenty of spots for next year.

We only have 15 soon to be juniors- 2 of which are likely gone and included in the possible availability later this month calculated above. Jordahl, Huff, Huff, Smith, Brooks, Still, Greene, Weyler, Moore and Gibson likely to be important cogs moving forward. Hopefully Gentry and Holland find themselves or else I could see them joining Williams as being "encouraged" to use their degree and start a career. That's not a lot of early exits although some underclassmen could also transfer obviously. I'd just rather not tempt it and rather give pj the chance at an elite class by saving some from this year.

Nobody knows I don't think, but

This is the scenario I see developing.

It's not if they are low 3* and our coach is capable of getting us elite commits with a year of recruiting.

Don't you think coach thinks through this, and will make a competent decision? If there is one thing not worth arguing about it's how many they should take - the coaches will balance the classes as they need to, based on a lot of factors.

Or maybe feels a need to prove he's an elite recruiter by attaining a falsely elevated class ranking by taking 31 players this year?

Kaler and Coyle

Kaler and Coyle to start. Coyle said Tracy was fired for having a bad recruiting class. PJ having the highest rated class in (blank) years would impress the BOR and Kaler and Coyle. PJ gets rubber stamped approved by the BOR. He makes Coyle look good and they are off on their honeymoon.

He looks great in headlines all over the midwest. It sparks interest in the program. It elevates the legend of PJ. 99% of people don't know 18 signees from 31...anybody understands a top 20's class headline.

I could see this scenario as well as a course to cleaning house and changing the culture. Plus the wow whatta guy hype. Buy tickets now...

Very interesting to look at the distribution of scholarships and the fact that all 85 are currently accounted for, so thanks for your work on that Oregon Gopher. I would assume, like many others in this thread, that there is going to be attrition from that group. I think it's easy to speculate on a few kids who are not currently suspended, but whom will likely either choose to move on or be asked to move on. I do understand Oregon Gopher's concern with filling a bunch of scholarships late instead of planning for a really big class next year. I do think that Fleck will probably make sure he has close to 25 to give in his first full year on the recruiting trail, even if it is not entirely clear how he gets there today.

Kaler and Coyle to start. Coyle said Tracy was fired for having a bad recruiting class. PJ having the highest rated class in (blank) years would impress the BOR and Kaler and Coyle. PJ gets rubber stamped approved by the BOR. He makes Coyle look good and they are off on their honeymoon.

He looks great in headlines all over the midwest. It sparks interest in the program. It elevates the legend of PJ. 99% of people don't know 18 signees from 31...anybody understands a top 20's class headline.

I could see this scenario as well as a course to cleaning house and changing the culture. Plus the wow whatta guy hype. Buy tickets now...

They won't be close to a top 20 class. He's taking players he feels that can succeed here I doubt he cares what anyone thinks about a class thrown together in a month.

Can't say - maybe to his new bosses, zealous fans and /or skeptical press or maybe to justify the treatment of his predecessors. I know to you I'm overly concerned about our DB situation- but we now have a full class until Jan 27 with an unbelievably paltry secondary. I imagine that PJ recognizes this and will try and address it with some of the upcoming openings but this is not guaranteed. Another concern is with all the offers that have been issued it appears PJ is coursing toward a max class of 31 (assuming 8 players are gone after 1/27) which will leave us with 2 very small classes coming up- 17 next year and 14 the following. Not exactly class sizes to make his mark as a recruiter and not an ideal situation for the long term balance of the program.

well

They won't be close to a top 20 class. He's taking players he feels that can succeed here I doubt he cares what anyone thinks about a class thrown together in a month.

It's 44 on Rivals now. Add 8 guys of the caliber we have been offering over the last week and how can it not be? Obviously the wild card to the possibility is signing 31 guys. He's not on the road recruiting...we don't visits set up with guys who have not committed if we are done.

Firm grasp of the obvious. He'd be an idiot if he didn't keep recruiting since the fate is unknown. <b>Extremely doubtful all are gone...</b>2-3 have very strong cases due to the very wide net EOAA cast.

I wouldn't be surprised if all 10 are gone. Between the EOAA process, PJF setting some 'culture', and kids not wanting to walk the streets of the U after being labeled a rapist, I actually expect all 10 to be gone. Some choosing a fresh start even if cleared by the kangaroos.

It will be interesting to see how the offense and defense unfold on PJ's first year at the helm. At this point, there lots of question marks until we get into Spring and Fall practices.

QB, DB and S are a concern pending the outcome of the appeals process.

per Chip:

Minnesotans still were trying to process P.J. Fleck’s blowtorch introduction when the Gophers new football coach revealed a different side of himself. His shark recruiter side.

Hours after stepping off a private plane for his first day on the job, Fleck began salvaging a recruiting class by poaching recruits that had verbally committed to his previous employer, Western Michigan.

He flipped one, then two, then three, then four. By the end, nine members of Western Michigan’s recruiting class changed allegiances and decided to flock with Fleck.

In one fell swoop, Fleck drained his former team of some of its best incoming talent. Some observers decried that kind of pilfering as bad optics.

News flash: Of course it looks ruthless. Since when did recruiting become our moral compass?

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...-recruits-comes-with-the-territory/410789705/

Go Gophers!!

Or maybe feels a need to prove he's an elite recruiter by attaining a falsely elevated class ranking by taking 31 players this year?

You're getting way out into conspiracy theory land with this one. There's going to be more turnover with the suspensions or even some that we don't know about yet. He's not going to jeopardize his future talent and job security to sign as many as he can this year just to boost the rankings.

Kill signed 26 his first class, 19 after he was hired in December and didn't have 10 looming suspensions. As the recruiting experts mentioned, they think Fleck will sign in the 27-29 range.

Top Bottom