Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Oregon: I don't think Fleck has to prove anything to Coyle or Kaler...they fired a 9-4 coach to hire him...to do that he had surely already proven himself. I think he is going to get as many guys as he can so that he can start shaping the culture of the team. I can see your concern about the DBs...we also have in excess, wide receivers who can not catch a ball. I know that Kill liked to recruit QBs, WRs and RBs and move them to other positions because they were the best athletes on most HS teams. Perhaps some of those WRs will become DBs and get the other team to drop the ball instead of doing it themselves? I don't know but I would be awfully surprised if Fleck starts the year without a plan to address weak positions.

Or maybe feels a need to prove he's an elite recruiter by attaining a falsely elevated class ranking by taking 31 players this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, because he seems like that type of guy. Like he's into what other people think. Moreover, that he's more concerned about that vs winning.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

We are going to have some offense.

You don't remember the same claims at the signing of Gentry, Holland, etc. let's see the kids play before we start exulting in their abilities.

Oregon: I don't think Fleck has to prove anything to Coyle or Kaler...they fired a 9-4 coach to hire him...to do that he had surely already proven himself. I think he is going to get as many guys as he can so that he can start shaping the culture of the team. I can see your concern about the DBs...we also have in excess, wide receivers who can not catch a ball. I know that Kill liked to recruit QBs, WRs and RBs and move them to other positions because they were the best athletes on most HS teams. Perhaps some of those WRs will become DBs and get the other team to drop the ball instead of doing it themselves? I don't know but I would be awfully surprised if Fleck starts the year without a plan to address weak positions.

My thoughts exactly on converting crappy WR into decent DB

Question- have we had a truly successful conversion of a WR to DB or is this just window dressing to show depth where it doesn't exist?

If our main concern was inability of these guys to separate from DBs, how will they keep up with WR who in general are likely to be faster than many/most DBs?

Question- have we had a truly successful conversion of a WR to DB or is this just window dressing to show depth where it doesn't exist?

If our main concern was inability of these guys to separate from DBs, how will they keep up with WR who in general are likely to be faster than many/most DBs?

Isn't it probably more likely that Fleck has insight into the fate of the suspended players that the public does not have. I'm guessing he has a good idea of who will be available next year, as opposed to doing a bunch of position changes and not recruiting enough DBs.

Troy Stoudermire worked, can't recall other attempts.

I don't know about WR to DB conversions in the past...but we haven't needed DBs as that has been the position of strength...we've needed WRs. Who knows? But I would be very surprised if Fleck doesn't have a plan. Sit tight and let's see what happens.

Eric Murray was a crappy HS receiver turned into stud DB

This take is laughable.

Possibly. However, there are a ton of offers out there for what will be at most 8 available scholarships (9 may become available but can only use 8 for year max of 31). Of those 8, 2 may be used to honor the prior regimes promises to Cash and the BIG kicker of the year. My overall take if you didn't bother reading last nights discussion (which you so eloquently added to this morning) was that I would think it would be to PJs advantage to save multiple scholarships for next year when he has an entire recruiting year to tout his program and the new facilities to the high 3* and 4* kids that he doesn't have access to at this late date. Why fill a class with kids who aren't elite and just exaggerate the class imbalance that exists? Our class structure as it is now is 17 seniors, 15 juniors (incl the CC QB), 20 sophomores and 33 freshmen (11 redshirt and 22 true). After Jan 27th this disparity will be further magnified by the loss of non-freshman being replaced by freshmen. I await your 4 word response with anticipation.

Possibly. However, there are a ton of offers out there for what will be at most 8 available scholarships (9 may become available but can only use 8 for year max of 31). Of those 8, 2 may be used to honor the prior regimes promises to Cash and the BIG kicker of the year. My overall take if you didn't bother reading last nights discussion (which you so eloquently added to this morning) was that I would think it would be to PJs advantage to save multiple scholarships for next year when he has an entire recruiting year to tout his program and the new facilities to the high 3* and 4* kids that he doesn't have access to at this late date. Why fill a class with kids who aren't elite and just exaggerate the class imbalance that exists? Our class structure as it is now is 17 seniors, 15 juniors (incl the CC QB), 20 sophomores and 33 freshmen (11 redshirt and 22 true). After Jan 27th this disparity will be further magnified by the loss of non-freshman being replaced by freshmen. I await your 4 word response with anticipation.

More than four words, but I would defer to PJ over you to know what would be to his advantage.

Isn't it probably more likely that Fleck has insight into the fate of the suspended players that the public does not have. I'm guessing he has a good idea of who will be available next year, as opposed to doing a bunch of position changes and not recruiting enough DBs.

Given all the talk about legality of discussing confidential info- if Fleck has gotten inside info on how the review board is going to rule there's going to be a lot of $ being delivered to the 10 men.

True but I think the coaches saw him as a DB from the beginning

I saw an interview with Claeys about Murray (profiling his ascension to becoming an NFL caliber DB). Claeys said when they offered him, they told him, he'd play DB. If that's not what he wanted, he should look for a different school. So he knew exactly what the coaches had in mind for him from the moment he was offered

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

If Fleck thinks there's more of a dire need at DB than WR, maybe he tries to move Tyler Johnson to that side of the ball? I was surprised that they used him as a WR last season.

Our WR core is suspect at best, but there's a lot of unknowns with them because Mitch didn't exactly put them in the best position to succeed. So they might not be as bad as we think if there's a competant QB that can accurately throw a ball to them

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

More than four words, but I would defer to PJ over you to know what would be to his advantage.

Fair enough- but isn't this board full of discussions about what we think are issues and concerns. If we're just going to wait and see what PJ does and accept that as the best thing for the program then why have this board- other than to read your witty retorts that is.

It's 44 on Rivals now. Add 8 guys of the caliber we have been offering over the last week and how can it not be? Obviously the wild card to the possibility is signing 31 guys. He's not on the road recruiting...we don't visits set up with guys who have not committed if we are done.

Look at the 10 12 teams right below them. Once those teams fill out their classes, I expect Gophs to be right around 50...where they have been the past several years.

Fair enough- but isn't this board full of discussions about what we think are issues and concerns. If we're just going to wait and see what PJ does and accept that as the best thing for the program then why have this board- other than to read your witty retorts that is.

Perhaps, but some of these discussions are pretty stupid. I would think that the coaches would know best.

I wouldn't be surprised if all 10 are gone. Between the EOAA process, PJF setting some 'culture', and kids not wanting to walk the streets of the U after being labeled a rapist, I actually expect all 10 to be gone. Some choosing a fresh start even if cleared by the kangaroos.

Sure it is possible, not doubt. I just think those 2-3 possibilities would seriously weigh sitting a year or playing right away for Fleck, and lean towards staying and playing.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

1. There are always way more offers out there than available scholarships.
2. Maybe it would be to his advantage to save scholarships, maybe not. No way to really know that. Maybe he doesn't look at the roster and see that as a luxury he has.
3. None of this backs up your take that he is doing this to show off his recruiting prowess, if he wanted to do that why wouldn't he do what you suggest and save his scholarships for next year. Everyone can already see that he has more recruiting prowess than Claeys, as far as getting higher rated recruits anyways.

1. There are always way more offers out there than available scholarships.
2. Maybe it would be to his advantage to save scholarships, maybe not. No way to really know that. Maybe he doesn't look at the roster and see that as a luxury he has.
3. None of this backs up your take that he is doing this to show off his recruiting prowess, if he wanted to do that why wouldn't he do what you suggest and save his scholarships for next year. Everyone can already see that he has more recruiting prowess than Claeys, as far as getting higher rated recruits anyways.

Yes, c'mon Oregon. Anyone can plainly see that his 50th or so ranked class is way more prestigious than Claeys 50th or so ranked class was.

Yes, c'mon Oregon. Anyone can plainly see that his 50th or so ranked class is way more prestigious than Claeys 50th or so ranked class was.

Someone did it in 2 weeks. And last year out of our 10 top rated recruits, 8 were MN kids. This year only 2 are.

They're averaging a half star better and I'm thinking their recruiting class will be bigger than the current 14. Look at the 10-12 teams right below Gophs...good chance 6-7 pass them in the end.

Well, you're kind of trying to suck all the joy out of the room. We're up now, Iowa's down, time to celebrate.

Top Bottom