Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Maryland doesn't even have an indoor practice facility for Football.

Aren't they building an amazing new indoor facility? That was part of their "investment" in entering the B1G.

I don't know that recruits look at the nuance between conference divisions. The only thing that gets you is division titles - our West champion still has to beat MSU or OSU or Mich or whoever in the CCG.

And in the last 10 years UMD won 3 bowl games, to zero for the Gophers.

Trying to be as non biased as possible though I would still choose MN especially if I were a D-back. We have 3 former Gopher D backs on NFL rosters right now and another 2 that will likely be drafted this spring.

Now as a wide receiver I would probably not look at MN as my top choice.

I agree having been to College Park Maryland and on there campus

DC is one of my favorite cities. That city is amazing. College Park is a different story

I have been to a game at Maryland prior to Big 10 conference, a bit dated 12 and 14 years ago. There stadium situation sucks worse than our's does as far as viewing games from the upper deck and even the first deck home sideline views can be obstructed when your down low. Extreme steep angle going up and not much room to sit. Big gap between the second and first deck with a lot of wasted space. They have a concession stand that blows a lot of smoke back in to the stadium. They don't have beer, or have as good amount of concession stands and restroom situation compared to us and people even complain about TCF.

There campus for an Urban campus setting seems more dissonant, and plain, dumpy modern buildings, and has higher crime statistics. They didn't previously have an indoor facility when I was there perhaps they are building those facillity's now.
We were behind in facilities too, but will be building all of those before this group of recruits leaves campus.
Like others have said they have Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State to deal with every season, I think Minnesota's chances of jumping up and winning the West are better than Maryland's will ever be winning the Big 10 East.

It's not like Maryland is pushing out NFL players either, Yeah there winter is shorter but that is about the only advantage they have. If you want Swamp A$$ humidity and 90 degree heat in the summer time especially in July and August during conditioning, and then when fall camp starts than Maryland is your cup of tea. I know I am biased being an alumn an all of the U, but from what I have seen from our game day atmosphere and what they have we actually have it pretty good in Minnesota. Maryland's game day atmosphere is probably a lot like Indiana, decent tailgating but everything inside the stadium as far as fan enthusiasm sucks.

That's your biased opinion. Whatever list or metric you want to look at, DC is right up there with Minneapolis for college grads and young professionals, plus it's warmer. I don't blame any recruits for considering Maryland over Minnesota.

I have spent lots of time in DC because I have family there. Place is a sh!t hole. Probably only rates higher than Minneapolis in metrics such as more crime and being more dangerous. OK place to visit for the obvious reasons. Besides I love our cold winters. This winter sucks.

This is quickly becoming the "Minnesota vs Maryland" thread.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is quickly becoming the "Minnesota vs Maryland" thread.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That is because those Posers the University of Maryland, are trying to poach our recruits the "Trio". They will see when they visit Maryland and college Park are pretty dumpy compared to here.

Trying to be as non biased as possible though I would still choose MN especially if I were a D-back. We have 3 former Gopher D backs on NFL rosters right now and another 2 that will likely be drafted this spring.

Now as a wide receiver I would probably not look at MN as my top choice.

How many defensive players has D.J. Durkin coached that are either now in the NFL or will be between Stanford, Florida, and Michigan? I bet it's more than 3.

I hope the Gophers can keep the trio. But the blind homerism and lack of reality on here of how Minnesota is perceived compared to other places in the US is both funny and sad.

How many defensive players has D.J. Durkin coached that are either now in the NFL or will be between Stanford, Florida, and Michigan? I bet it's more than 3.

I hope the Gophers can keep the trio. But the blind homerism and lack of reality on here of how Minnesota is perceived compared to other places in the US is both funny and sad.

This will only be relevant when the Daniels set up official visits for Stanford, Florida or Michigan. And your blathering about blind homerisim is about as interesting as the weather.

I have been to a game at Maryland prior to Big 10 conference, a bit dated 12 and 14 years ago. There stadium situation sucks worse than our's does as far as viewing games from the upper deck and even the first deck home sideline views can be obstructed when your down low. Extreme steep angle going up and not much room to sit. Big gap between the second and first deck with a lot of wasted space. They have a concession stand that blows a lot of smoke back in to the stadium. They don't have beer, or have as good amount of concession stands and restroom situation compared to us and people even complain about TCF.

There campus for an Urban campus setting seems more dissonant, and plain, dumpy modern buildings, and has higher crime statistics. They didn't previously have an indoor facility when I was there perhaps they are building those facillity's now.
We were behind in facilities too, but will be building all of those before this group of recruits leaves campus.
Like others have said they have Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State to deal with every season, I think Minnesota's chances of jumping up and winning the West are better than Maryland's will ever be winning the Big 10 East.

It's not like Maryland is pushing out NFL players either, Yeah there winter is shorter but that is about the only advantage they have. If you want Swamp A$$ humidity and 90 degree heat in the summer time especially in July and August during conditioning, and then when fall camp starts than Maryland is your cup of tea. I know I am biased being an alumn an all of the U, but from what I have seen from our game day atmosphere and what they have we actually have it pretty good in Minnesota. Maryland's game day atmosphere is probably a lot like Indiana, decent tailgating but everything inside the stadium as far as fan enthusiasm sucks.

All those things might be true but no 17-18 year old crfes about that stuff. They could care less what the viewing angles are for the fans. They also probably don't care much about the settings or the crime (hot college girls on their visit will be what they are concentrating on!)

I also don't know exactly what they have going on with their facilities but I can bet that with the Big 10 money they are now getting AND with Under Armor being there, they can probably be getting any new facility they might need.

In regards to who might win a division first. I also don't think they take that into account all that much. The players, as they should, believe that with them on the team, they will have a chance to win the Big10. I honestly wouldn't want to recruit a kid that thought differently either.

And maybe they think that the path to quicker playing time will be to go there instead of here. It's blessing and a curse to have good, established players. If kids don't want to compete for a spot, so be it. I am also not going to act like I know anything about MD secondary but if they think they can go there and play on day 1 where here they will probably redshirt, that's probably appealing. Regardless of who or how many guys have gone to play in the NFL.

With that said, I want all of them to come here instead of there or any other college, but let's not act like the Gophers have so many advantages over any other major schools that kids would be foolish to not want to come here. We should be proud of what we have to offer but let's not be so ignorant to think we are their only path to successful lives. Not to mention I am sure the new coach is blowing a lot of hot air up anyone's A$$ who is willing to listen!

But let's let it play out and I want to wish all fellow Gopher fans Happy Holidays!

you cant count on what you never had on campus imo ... good riddance if they choose to go else where..

This will only be relevant when the Daniels set up official visits for Stanford, Florida or Michigan. And your blathering about blind homerisim is about as interesting as the weather.

Lol so the names of schools, not being recruited and coached by good coaches put players in the NFL. Ok. :rolleyes:

Lol so the names of schools, not being recruited and coached by good coaches put players in the NFL. Ok. :rolleyes:
Florida, michigan, and stanford were all working with two star d-backs with few power 5 offers? Yup......the school is irrelevant. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Florida, michigan, and stanford were all working with two star d-backs with few power 5 offers? Yup......the school is irrelevant. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Stanford was 1-11 the year before Harbaugh showed up and Durkin became a position coach. But I'm sure Durkin had nothing to do with bringing in talent there. Florida and Michigan always have more talent, but Michigan was better on D this year compared to last. The fact that Durkin can land those jobs tells you that he's a good coach.

Are you saying Maryland can't attract high level talent? The Vikings best receiver was a 5* recruit who went to Maryland.

Stanford was 1-11 the year before Harbaugh showed up and Durkin became a position coach. But I'm sure Durkin had nothing to do with bringing in talent there. Florida and Michigan always have more talent, but Michigan was better on D this year compared to last. The fact that Durkin can land those jobs tells you that he's a good coach.

Are you saying Maryland can't attract high level talent? The Vikings best receiver was a 5* recruit who went to Maryland.
Diggs was a 5 star recruit no major programs would touch with a 10 foot pole with the baggage he was brining out of high school.

Maryland's $155 million project to renovate an existing field house. They are also farther along than we are.

Your statement:

PoorArgumentGuy said:

So you are saying that teams that commonly bring in top talent year after year are sending more players to the NFL than the Gophers who working with significantly less talent? WOW! What insight. Clearly Durkin added all those extra stars to the players attending these schools. :rolleyes:

Diggs was a 5 star recruit no major programs would touch with a 10 foot pole with the baggage he was brining out of high school.

Right, that's why he took official visits to Florida, Ohio St., Auburn, and Cal. Schools pay for cross-country travel all the time for players they're not interested in signing.

Forest lake Ranger

As someone who graduated from Forest Lake, it's sad that the school's first big recruit, in a long long time, has to be going to Wisconsin.

Please come back home! Please!

I'll give you that Minnesota has a better chance of winning the west than Maryland does the east, but that's the only advantage Minnesota has. To most outside of Minnesota, DC is a more desirable location with better weather, facilities that are farther along, recruiting base, and now a better coaching staff.

I don’t know how three teenagers from Florida perceive Minnesota viz-a-viz Maryland, and it’s their perception that in the end will be the only thing that counts. I only know how I perceive the two. I was born in Minneapolis, and raised in Minnesota. But I have lived in Washington. D.C., and its environs for a total of fifty years. The DC area is beautiful and it’s rich in history. College Park, where the University of Maryland is located, however, is not a particularly desirable location. It’s a suburban location and the surrounding area is not that attractive. Nor is the campus particularly attractive. Yes, there is a campus subway station that gives students easy access to downtown DC, but I have doubts as to how important that is to the average student. I’m biased, but I prefer the Minnesota campus by a wide margin.
As for facilities, I think we have the edge. At the moment, Maryland is the only BIG school without an indoor football practice facility. Yes, they are working on one, but we have one and are replacing ours. And we have a clear advantage in terms of our stadium.
In terms of weather perception, this is probably our biggest disadvantage. There is no question that Minnesota has cold winters: perhaps not so much colder than some of our BIG rivals, but cold. But Minnesota also has beautiful summers and falls. And DC area summers can be pretty brutal, but not as brutal as Florida. Moreover, there is a big difference between the Twin Cities and the DC area in terms of dealing with snow removal. Our local DC area governments are challenged. Commutes home during a snow can take several hours. Again, not a concern of teenage football recruits.
Where I think Minnesota has the clear advantage is in terms of academics. When Lenny Bias died of an overdose, there was an inquiry, which concluded, as I recall, that Maryland was placing a greater emphasis on sports than academics. I think Maryland has made a concerted effort since then to reverse their priorities, but I think they still lag behind the BIG schools academically, including the University of Minnesota. I don’t know how important academics are to the Florida trio.

As for respective coaching staffs, I think that is an open question.

In the end, I suspect the Florida trio will make their collective decision based upon their feelings about coaches, playing time, and like factors. And, unfortunately, the fact that we don’t have an OC in place isn’t helpful in that regard. Let’s hope for the best.

I'll give you that Minnesota has a better chance of winning the west than Maryland does the east, but that's the only advantage Minnesota has. To most outside of Minnesota, DC is a more desirable location with better weather, facilities that are farther along, recruiting base, and now a better coaching staff.

I'm sorry, I failed to focus on your better coaching staff assertion. What makes you confident that this is true? Durkin has no prior head coaching experience - whether he is able to run his own program remains to be seen.

Can we please get rid of the picture associated with this thread on the main page? This is a Gopher fan forum! I don't want to look at a Maryland facilities project every time I come on here. How about you replace it with the Gopher one???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we please get rid of the picture associated with this thread on the main page? This is a Gopher fan forum! I don't want to look at a Maryland facilities project every time I come on here. How about you replace it with the Gopher one???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1000. Get those pics off the thread title overview!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom