Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Most teams lose a few every year, so that's not surprising. If the Gophers lose anywhere close to 10, this program is in trouble. That's nearly half a recruiting class.

Most teams lose a few every year, so that's not surprising. If the Gophers lose anywhere close to 10, this program is in trouble. That's nearly half a recruiting class.

ANy examples of that happening anywhere?

I highly doubt we lose that many DBs.... The defensive coaching staff has been untouched.

In piecing things together from all the sites, Isaiah Gentry is all but confirmed to transfer.

In piecing things together from all the sites, Isaiah Gentry is all but confirmed to transfer.

That sucks if true. He couldn't stay healthy, but he looked the best of last years FR WRs when he was.

I highly doubt we lose that many DBs.... The defensive coaching staff has been untouched.

That's what I would think too...I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Johannesson is gone. He'll either be transferring after the semester and before spring ball, or he may wait until the end of the year. He was promised that he would stay at running back and has been told earlier this fall that they want to move him to linebacker. He is suppose to be transferring to NDSU who was his other finalist.

Johannesson is gone. He'll either be transferring after the semester and before spring ball, or he may wait until the end of the year. He was promised that he would stay at running back and has been told earlier this fall that they want to move him to linebacker. He is suppose to be transferring to NDSU who was his other finalist.
Is that confirmed or a rumor? They are not that deep at RB and have not gotten a RB commitment yet this year, I'm not sure why they would move him to LB.

If true I would be interested to know why. Of the 3 RsFrWR he was clearly the one they trusted the most and that would have the most opportunity - if he was able to stay healthy. Lots of other reasons to leave other than PT - I am just curious to hear why. Really sucks as he had a skill set we need badly at WR. He is not the one of the 3 that I would have guessed would leave.

I'm going with Ray Buford and/or Dior Johnson.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'd say Alonzo Craighton would definitely be the #1 candidate to transfer of the DBs then those two would be second and third most likely. Those three are the only DB's that I can see transferring though.

If true I would be interested to know why. Of the 3 RsFrWR he was clearly the one they trusted the most and that would have the most opportunity - if he was able to stay healthy. Lots of other reasons to leave other than PT - I am just curious to hear why. Really sucks as he had a skill set we need badly at WR. He is not the one of the 3 that I would have guessed would leave.

I agree. The only thing I could think of is that he really wasn't injured as long as it was suggested and that academics could have become an issue - ala Jeff Jones. Purely speculation on my part though.

That sucks if true. He couldn't stay healthy, but he looked the best of last years FR WRs when he was.

That's what I would think too...I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Have seen speculation some places that injuries might have not been his only problem. May be something to do with putting in the necessary time to be a D1 football player.

I'd say Alonzo Craighton would definitely be the #1 candidate to transfer of the DBs then those two would be second and third most likely. Those three are the only DB's that I can see transferring though.
I can't really see any of the freshmen DBs transferring. Buford and Johnson have been receiving tons of praise and I expect both to contribute next year and Craighton hosted Durr on his visit and Durr just committed which just makes me think it would be kind of unlikely he would be transferring. My best guess for one would actually be a guy who saw the field this year but struggled and may see a reduced role next season and could have been a reason for us targeting the JUCO DBs since he would be a JR as well. My guess would be Craig James who when first injured was supposed to be back before the end of the season and we really haven't heard anything about.

I would never consider myself an insider. My info is so limited, but worth sharing. I was told by a legacy family that there is concern that they could lose 2 RB's, 2 WR's and at least one lineman. I don't know any names, but my personal guess would be Johannesson and Gentry based on the chatter on Gopherhole. I could see the RB's looking at the two freshman starters this year, and realizing they have good players in front of them.

PiPress: Iowa Western helping make future Gophers

The Gophers essentially pulled off a trade last week with Iowa Western Community College.

Minnesota sent former star recruit Jeff Jones to Iowa Western in exchange for defensive tackle Merrick Jackson. Technically, Jackson committed to be a JUCO transfer to Minnesota on Dec. 10, and Jones going to Iowa Western for academic reasons happened Wednesday.

While the circumstances in these two moves are unique, the relationship between the two schools is now routine. Jackson is the fourth player since 2010 to travel north from the junior college in Council Bluffs, Iowa to Dinkytown.

Jackson is also one of four JUCO players to enroll at the U in January with expectations to contribute next season. The others are offensive guards Vincent Calhoun and Garrison Wright and defensive back Elijah Battle.

Iowa Western coach Scott Strohmeier started the Reivers' program seven seasons ago and has helped more than 100 players earn Division I scholarships.

"I developed those relationships" with college coaches, Strohmeier said. "What is part of it is when you are honest and up front with them about a player, and then he's a good player."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

This thread is for 2016 recruiting updates. If you want to talk about other topics please start a new thread. Thank you.

Go Gophers!!

Hmmm....Durkin trying to poach other B1G recruits other than Gophs?
Not sure, but the ESPN bottom line is telling me they hired an O Coordinator today. Betting he wants Snelson and knows it's a package deal. Recruiting is a tough, dirty business -- and you're dealing with kids, literally. Hope all 3 end up at Minnesota, but we won't know until February.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Maybe someone with more recruiting knowledge can help me out here, but how does Maryland make 3 offers during the NCAA dead period?

I don't think the dead period applies to mail. I also think that recruits can initiate phone calls.

So it's a dead period in name only, what's the point?

So that coaches don't feel compelled to travel during the holiday break and families don't have to worry about coaching visits on top of family visits/travel.

Top Bottom