Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

So Snelson is still taking some additional official visits? Maryland, Miami, and FSU were mentioned in his post-game interview following the state championship.

We have deleted a number of posts in this thread that moved off-topic. Thank you for keeping this thread focused on 2016 recruiting updates.

Was there any steam to the Patrick Kasl story (that we're going after him), or was that a "solid in my commitment" clickbait article.

So if we have 4-6 recruits left, what or who are the priorities for Claeys?

The plugged in guys at 247 were commenting there are going to be "several" and perhaps many transfers after the bowl game, and we will be "disappointed". Said some guys are on the fence, presumably waiting on the coaching hires but may bolt. I would guess these pending departures will affect recruiting, assuming the coaches are aware.

The plugged in guys at 247 were commenting there are going to be "several" and perhaps many transfers after the bowl game, and we will be "disappointed". Said some guys are on the fence, presumably waiting on the coaching hires but may bolt. I would guess these pending departures will affect recruiting, assuming the coaches are aware.

Dang. I hope it isn't anybody important.

"Several" would probably be bad but "many" would likely spell disaster.

I would assume guys that are buried or aren't a good fit with the new offense, whatever that may be. Waiting on those hires Coach C...

We'll be fine. We knew the ride would get turbulent after Limey was let go. Personally I would have liked to see someone already hired, and perhaps he knows who he wants. Then again. Claeyes isn't a bull****ter and has said he's going through an interview process.

Happens every year. This year won't be any different. Maybe worse than normal. Offensive guys that had other offers that never see the field are always likely candidates and often the ones who leave. We can all name a few of those.

Happens every year. This year won't be any different. Maybe worse than normal. Offensive guys that had other offers that never see the field are always likely candidates and often the ones who leave. We can all name a few of those.
Yes, there's always transfers, but the part that might concern some is the mention that people will be "disappointed". No idea what that actually means of course, but in my own mind when a guy buried on the depth chart leaves to play FCS, I wish him well. When a starter (or contributor) leaves for another FBS team, I'm disappointed. Guessing on candidates is silly, but hey, it's a message board:

Berkeley Edwards
Melvin Holland
Desmond Gant

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yes, there's always transfers, but the part that might concern some is the mention that people will be "disappointed". No idea what that actually means of course, but in my own mind when a guy buried on the depth chart leaves to play FCS, I wish him well. When a starter (or contributor) leaves for another FBS team, I'm disappointed. Guessing on candidates is silly, but hey, it's a message board:

Berkeley Edwards
Melvin Holland
Desmond Gant

Well, only one of those names would "disappoint" me.

Berkeley Edwards
Melvin Holland
Desmond Gant

Wasn't it Jeff Jones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So if we have 4-6 recruits left, what or who are the priorities for Claeys?

QB#2: Keon Howard
RB: Byrd or Daniels
OL: Castillo and Cush
DT: Watts
DE: Epting and ???
LB: Pine

What about Kieran Johnson? Why aren't my beloved Gophers interested in this kid? (Maybe they are). He's from Tartan high school, Oakdale MN. NJCAA First team All American wide receiver. Leads the nation in touchdowns with 24, first in yards per game with 127.6, first in total yards of 1404, fourth in receptions with 69 and fourth in yards per catch with 20.3. He tells me that there is no current Gopher receiver as good as him. Now that Seth Green has signed, he wants to play for the home team.

The disappointment to me is when we start losing redshirts thru transfers.

Many of these guys I presume you won't see on the field until their fourth and fifth years in school. The ones that don't see the field are the unsung heroes who help fill up practices making them run efficiently where they have enough bodies to run multiple groups.

The investments in coaching up and weight room will impact the team long after they are gone.

Berkeley Edwards
Melvin Holland
Desmond Gant

Berkeley, Johannesson, Femi-cole spring to mind as the definition of buried. If we're going to open up the offense those young WRs will be necessary so I really hope youre wrong. There isn't much experience at WR.

Only a few really know, and they aren't saying.

What about Kieran Johnson? Why aren't my beloved Gophers interested in this kid? (Maybe they are). He's from Tartan high school, Oakdale MN. NJCAA First team All American wide receiver. Leads the nation in touchdowns with 24, first in yards per game with 127.6, first in total yards of 1404, fourth in receptions with 69 and fourth in yards per catch with 20.3. He tells me that there is no current Gopher receiver as good as him. Now that Seth Green has signed, he wants to play for the home team.

Sounds good I'll tell Tracy

Well he does have that coveted Troy offer. :rolleyes:

Random insomniac thoughts:

Can't wait to see Femi-cole and Johannesson on the field next year. They looked stoked. Are we going to see any of these two spend some time at FB?

I hope that any of the 2014 RsFr WR trio of Holland, Gant, and Gentry can contribute to the team new look offense next season. Extra practices prior to a bowl game this year benefit players like these. That is why you do not turn down a bowl invite in spite of a dismal 5-7 record. They could have easily been 7-5. They lost a couple of real close hard breakers.

I would love to see Edwards' speed utilize more.

It is hard to gauge how highly regarded players coming out of HS are going to pan out at the next level with higher level of competition. Once they get to college, they have to distinguish themselves from the pack. Unfortunately, some are just not that good as advertised, or a serious injury/health condition put their whole career in doubt.

Others like like Maxx they are as good as advertised. Then you've got sleepers like Murray, and I think that Ko Kieft kid will be one.

Players just have to work hard and keep a good head on their shoulders and grab every opportunity for playing time like it is their last chance. David Cobb is a good illustrious example.

Cobb contemplated transferring, talk to the coaches and other advisers who all convinced him to stay the course. He changed his attitude, worked hard, believed in himself, and took advantage of an injury situation and never looked backed.

There are probably multiple reasons Claeys let Limegrover go. In all fairness, injuries derailed a season full of promise. That is no excuse though. Other teams deal with injuries. The offensive line was a disaster. The play calling was too vanilla at times. If Limegrover was really a dink to his players, that really set a bad tone. I can see where that had to be fixed. The fans in the stands cast their votes against Limegrover.

Even though Claeys says he is not changing the offense that much, I think there is a clue in the revamping of the offensive line. I am hungry for some sort of exciting offense. It will be great and fun for the players too.

Hiring the right OC is really super critical at this juncture of the Kill/Claeys rebuilding era. The coaches know they are auditioning for a permanent job, and they've got three years or less...

When Foster to decommited, I was disappointed at first since he was 4* recruit. Losing Kegel, a potential four year starter hurts.

I am happy we get JC players Garrison Wright and Vincent Calhoun. The impact of these two will be immediate. It will be awesome if they can get Trystan Castillo and Lloyd Cushenberry to replace the lost of Kegel and Foster.

Random insomniac thoughts:

There are probably multiple reasons Claeys let Limegrover go. In all fairness, injuries derailed a season full of promise. That is no excuse though. Other teams deal with injuries. The offensive line was a disaster. The play calling was too vanilla at times. If Limegrover was really a dink to his players, that really set a bad tone. I can see where that had to be fixed. The fans in the stands cast their votes against Limegrover.

When you have worked as co-workers for a number of years as peers, you get a very good sense of whom you want to "keep" and whom you think is not the type or capability you want on your team. We all see this every day at work, The fact that Limey was let go so quickly suggests TC has little respect for Limey and the QB coach. Let's hope the grass is greener with the new OC and TC is as good of a talent evaluator for HS talent as he is for a coach. I have interviewed many for jobs. It's a bit of a crapshoot, which is why I imagine Kill always kept his staff together because getting new blood is a bit of a risky proposition.

When you have worked as co-workers for a number of years as peers, you get a very good sense of whom you want to "keep" and whom you think is not the type or capability you want on your team. We all see this every day at work, The fact that Limey was let go so quickly suggests TC has little respect for Limey and the QB coach. Let's hope the grass is greener with the new OC and TC is as good of a talent evaluator for HS talent as he is for a coach. I have interviewed many for jobs. It's a bit of a crapshoot, which is why I imagine Kill always kept his staff together because getting new blood is a bit of a risky proposition.

I was listening to Clay's interview on KFan. This was what I grasp trying to listen to a radio station that was just starting to get out of range. So I was having a hard time hearing but this is what I think was the main point at that time of the interview. He said he didn't like two people calling the plays. They needed one boss. He also said the defenses were getting so complicated that the offensive line coach needed to be on the sidelines helping the players deal with situations that arise in the game. All made sense to me. He hinted that Limegrover didn't necessarily agree.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the offense. Its all about having the right mix of players, talent and execution.

TC needs to work with what he has on offense and with prime focus on building the OL.

Sounds like it could be anywhere from 4-10 not sure if that was already counting Jones or not. Sounds like at least 1 or 2 will be DBs which is the reason why the staff has brought in so many this year. I think the staff is well aware of who will be transferring or is thinking about it and that is why they are targeting a class of around 28 total signees.

Sounds like it could be anywhere from 4-10 not sure if that was already counting Jones or not. Sounds like at least 1 or 2 will be DBs which is the reason why the staff has brought in so many this year. I think the staff is well aware of who will be transferring or is thinking about it and that is why they are targeting a class of around 28 total signees.
That sounds like a lot, I have a hard time believing that there is that much discontent on the team, my guess is that they are trying to sell subscriptions.

As for recruiting, we are in a dead period thru mid January, don't expect a lot of action anytime soon.

Top Bottom