Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

It's time to step up the d-line recruiting if we are going to field a competitive squad in the next 4-5 years. The d-line was atrocious this year, couldn't stop the run and couldn't get any pressure on QBs. We whiffed on Peppers, Hinojosa, and Salzwedel in earlier years which has come back to hurt us. Kafo barely saw the field this year. We only took 2 d-line recruits last year (Hall and DeLattiboudere) who both appear to be projects. This year isn't looking much better as we have a 210 lb. DE and a JUCO d-tackle whose other option was Iowa St.

Overall this class is shaping up pretty well, but the d-line recruiting leaves a lot to be desired.

So what youre saying is if we're vulnerable to the run up the middle we better hope our corners can play man and we better hope our offense can score and hold the ball.

Maybe Claeys will go to a 3-4 out of necessity in a few years...

Recruiting isn't over, every year we seem to gnash our teeth over one position group or another and they fill in the gaps. This was a particularly bad year injury-wise.

It is too bad we miss out on a few good recruits like Lucas.

I am curious as to why Seth Green hasn't commit yet. Our local media have been speculating that he will be committing soon. If he is graduating early, and plans to enroll in January isn't it getting late to officially commit?

our coaching staff should be embarrassed losing kids to duke

Duke has fantastic academics, an equal football program to us with an awesome coach, wonderful climate, and close to many top highschool athletes. Other than that I see your point.

Don't think so think they are more interested in adding 1 or both of the jucos who were visiting this weekend.

Well they just added 1 of the JUCOs.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not really. In 2013 the only DB we took was Jalen Myrick. In 2014 we only landed Craig James. We failed miserably recruiting DBs for 2 classes in a row, and it came back to bite us this year big time when we had injuries.

Also brought in McGhee in 2013 and signed Ra'Shaun Croney in 2014 (ended up at Ellsworth CC). I get what you're saying but we went into the season with 7 guys who had a good amount of college football experience. Everyone is going to have problems when you have that many injuries.

Go Gophers!!

our coaching staff should be embarrassed losing kids to duke

1. I'll never fault a kid for going to a great academic university like Duke
2. I wonder if we are only taking one freshman DE this year and when Devers committed the coaches pulled the offer? Just speculation though.
3. Duke has averaged nearly 9 wins the last three seasons. This isn't the old Duke football team most of us are used to.
4. Even if you think our program is better than Duke's, players often commit to "lesser" programs all the time. Coughlin, Green, Snelson, etc.

2. I wonder if we are only taking one freshman DE this year and when Devers committed the coaches pulled the offer? Just speculation though.
3. Duke has averaged nearly 9 wins the last three seasons. This isn't the old Duke football team most of us are used to.
4. Even if you think our program is better than Duke's, players often commit to "lesser" programs all the time. Coughlin, Green, Snelson, etc.

Not that you were saying we weren't...but just wanted to say Minnesota is a great academic institution as well. By some measures better than Duke.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Amir Watts, you are on the clock.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

By my count, they are up to 20 commits. That leaves 3-5 to go, unless they get some transfers. There are still in the running for some pretty good guys too.

Kris Weatherspoon - DB - JUCO - Troy commit
Elijah Battle - DB - JUCO - West Virginia commit
Amir Watts - DT
Lloyd Cushenberry - OG - South Carolina commit
Chase Allen - TE
Trystan Castillo - OL - Missouri commit
Arkeem Byrd - RB
Keon Howard - QB

Lucas definitely still had an offer, he was and has been the top DE target for a long time. Lucas has also been a Duke lean for a while now and despite a great visit to Minnesota last weekend I don't think the staff was surprised to see him commit elsewhere. Will be interesting to see what our DL recruiting looks like for the rest of this class as really the only known top target is Amir Watts.

Crossing my fingers for Amir Watts....

By my count, they are up to 20 commits. That leaves 3-5 to go, unless they get some transfers. There are still in the running for some pretty good guys too.

Kris Weatherspoon - DB - JUCO - Troy commit
Elijah Battle - DB - JUCO - West Virginia commit
Amir Watts - DT
Lloyd Cushenberry - OG - South Carolina commit
Chase Allen - TE
Trystan Castillo - OL - Missouri commit
Arkeem Byrd - RB
Keon Howard - QB

You would think the staff would want more than just one more freshman defensive lineman in this class. Hope they are able to land Watts in the coming days.

Top Bottom