Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Here are the "Uncommitted Visitors" this weekend. There are some surprises here. Comments:

Name…………………… School……………………………………………………….. Position.. Ht/Wt…. School/Interest

Kris Weatherspoon. Hinds C.C. (Raymond, MS)………………………… S…………… 6-1/195… Troy

Tai'yon Devers……… Georgia Prep Sports Academy (Atlanta, GA)* WDE…….. 6-4/225… Cool

Elijah Battle………….. Dodge City C.C. (Dodge City, KS)*……………… CB………… 6-1/190… West Virginia

Amir Watts………….. Phillips Academy (Chicago, IL)*………………… DT………… 6-3/270… Warm+5 others

Antoine Winfield Jr. The Woodlands (The Woodlands, TX)……...* S…………… 5-9.5/183. Cool+11 others

Lloyd Cushenberry.. Dutchtown (Geismar, LA)*………………………… OG……….. 6-3/310… South Carolina

Of these six, I'd love to see Amir Watts and Lloyd Cushenberry play for the Gophers the most. We seem to get aced out of key players late in the recruiting game. Let's hope our luck changes for the better.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There could be a few more by the time the weekend is over as well.

I know Brew Crew always thought it was a great idea to move dbacks to linebacker and linebackers to defensive line, but I'm kind of curious what the plan is here. The defensive backfield recruits have all been guys with good offers, so that doesn't bother me. I just wish we could get a few more linebackers and defensive linemen with the same sort of resume. And a complete overhaul on the offensive side.

Anyone else think it's odd we have 27 defensive backs committed this year?

I don't think a for sure four from the high school ranks is an unusual high amount. Jucos could help to balance the numbers being low in next year's senior and junior classes. Dbacks are used a ton in special teams in addition to usually playing more than the traditional 4 these days on defense.

Dredrick Snelson's team (Flanagan HS) won the Florida 8A state championship tonight as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Dredrick Snelson's team (Flanagan HS) won the Florida 8A state championship tonight as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I watched the game and my thoughts of Snelson are he was effective in the short passing game and is a physical blocker. He had 3 catches for 14 yds all on short out routes. While the stats don't pop out, It appeared that Osceola adjusted and left opportunities in the middle that Flanagan was able to advantage of. Flanagan converted two TDs after that on passing plays between the hash marks after that. Snelson had a nice block on one of the TDs. He was also targeted on 3 other passes, 2 that were intercepted (one he bobbled and the other was an underthrown deep ball in triple coverage). The third pass was catchable but he had to lay out to get it and couldn't bring it in. I'm not sure he is a top 100 recruit like espn has him rated but I think he can affect a game in many ways. I like his knack for getting open on quick outs.

I watched the game and my thoughts of Snelson are he was effective in the short passing game and is a physical blocker. He had 3 catches for 14 yds all on short out routes. While the stats don't pop out, It appeared that Osceola adjusted and left opportunities in the middle that Flanagan was able to advantage of. Flanagan converted two TDs after that on passing plays between the hash marks after that. Snelson had a nice block on one of the TDs. He was also targeted on 3 other passes, 2 that were intercepted (one he bobbled and the other was an underthrown deep ball in triple coverage). The third pass was catchable but he had to lay out to get it and couldn't bring it in. <b>I'm not sure he is a top 100 recruit like espn has him rated </b>but I think he can affect a game in many ways. I like his knack for getting open on quick outs.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. To view him as overrated by watching one game on TV is probably a bit over the top tho.

Anyone else think it's odd we have 27 defensive backs committed this year?

Well, I didn't feel we had good depth at DB this year when we started playing walk-ons after some injuries. Also, realizing we are losing EM, BBC, and AJ and I'm not too concerned if TC wants to take a bunch of DBs this year.

Well, I didn't feel we had good depth at DB this year when we started playing walk-ons after some injuries. Also, realizing we are losing EM, BBC, and AJ and I'm not too concerned if TC wants to take a bunch of DBs this year.

I think we had good depth, the injuries just piled up so much. Hard for anyone to overcome that many injuries.

I could be wrong but I don't know that they'd have taken both Lucas and Devers. Both are undersized, both will need time to develop, Claeys doesn't necessarily have that time to develop them. If they grab another DE I would suspect it to be a JC guy. Amir Watts would be nice too, although I suspect they see him as a DT.

I could be wrong but I don't know that they'd have taken both Lucas and Devers. Both are undersized, both will need time to develop, Claeys doesn't necessarily have that time to develop them. If they grab another DE I would suspect it to be a JC guy. Amir Watts would be nice too, although I suspect they see him as a DT.
Lucas was a definite take and top DE target on the board for a while but he has also been a Duke lean for a while. He would have been able to help early at least as a pass rusher while Devers is a pretty likely redshirt candidate.

I think we had good depth, the injuries just piled up so much. Hard for anyone to overcome that many injuries.

Not really. In 2013 the only DB we took was Jalen Myrick. In 2014 we only landed Craig James. We failed miserably recruiting DBs for 2 classes in a row, and it came back to bite us this year big time when we had injuries.

Lucas would have been one of the top-rated D-line recruits in years and was absolutely a take.

It's time to step up the d-line recruiting if we are going to field a competitive squad in the next 4-5 years. The d-line was atrocious this year, couldn't stop the run and couldn't get any pressure on QBs. We whiffed on Peppers, Hinojosa, and Salzwedel in earlier years which has come back to hurt us. Kafo barely saw the field this year. We only took 2 d-line recruits last year (Hall and DeLattiboudere) who both appear to be projects. This year isn't looking much better as we have a 210 lb. DE and a JUCO d-tackle whose other option was Iowa St.

Overall this class is shaping up pretty well, but the d-line recruiting leaves a lot to be desired.

Top Bottom