Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Don't see that happening for a while. Right now it's all about entertaining the 4 and 5 stars until they verbal elsewhere. Looks like the MN kids will take a backseat for a bit but it will be interesting to see how it progresses leading into the fall.

I don't think that it is about MN kids taking a backseat, it has more to do with evaluating players by position and need. Every team has holes to fill and it is necessary to fill those positions with the best players that fit your scheme. I am betting that there will be offers made to MN kids this summer, after they have had a chance to see them at camp and evaluate them side by side.

I don't think that it is about MN kids taking a backseat, it has more to do with evaluating players by position and need. Every team has holes to fill and it is necessary to fill those positions with the best players that fit your scheme. I am betting that there will be offers made to MN kids this summer, after they have had a chance to see them at camp and evaluate them side by side.

+1 What people need to remember and realize is that Kill and his coaches are very deliberate in how they evaluate players and their needs. They have developed a process that works. It is through in its nature and is designed to avoid making mistakes. Kill has often remarked that if you make a mistake you probably have wasted a scholarship for four years. This process can be very frustrating for fans but they are not about to change because we get frustrated. I suspect we may loose a recruit one in a while because of it but I also believe it has proven to be effective.

New Q&A with Reid Travis:

Gopher Hole: What about football. What is the latest there? Any new offers or any new schools that you are hearing from for football?

Reid Travis: No. Rutgers offered about two weeks ago, so that is probably the newest one.

Gopher Hole: How many Football scholarships are you up to?

Reid Travis: 3 (Iowa, Rutgers and Boston College).

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/245391?referrer_id=331171

+1 What people need to remember and realize is that Kill and his coaches are very deliberate in how they evaluate players and their needs. They have developed a process that works. It is through in its nature and is designed to avoid making mistakes. Kill has often remarked that if you make a mistake you probably have wasted a scholarship for four years. This process can be very frustrating for fans but they are not about to change because we get frustrated. I suspect we may loose a recruit one in a while because of it but I also believe it has proven to be effective.
Kill says that, but every year they throw out a ton of offers. I'm not saying that's a bad thing; it's a necessity, frankly.

But, we should all take the "offers are a precious thing" argument with a grain of salt, because honestly what else would you expect him to say? The proof is in the pudding. Last year we offered 174 kids. That puts us well over Northwestern (92), Wisconsin (107), Penn State (111), Iowa (120), Michigan (132), Michigan State (137) and Ohio State (146). We were well under Indiana (204), Nebraska (270), Illinois (270), and Purdue (304) who apparently gave out offers like they were hotcakes.

So...that would put us 8th in a 12 team league in terms of scarcity of offers. That's hardly noteworthy or anything that makes Kill's regime particularly unique. They might be a little slower in rolling the offers out (in fact the #s this year suggest they are), but they will eventually come pouring out, particularly after summer.

Lucas Trickle ‏@LucasTrickleGI 28m
@Alex_Mayes76 will be joined by his brother and 2014 #Gopher target Connor Mayes @PuppyloveMayes. #Gophers

Just saw this tweet. Visiting this weekend?

Lucas Trickle ‏@LucasTrickleGI 28m
@Alex_Mayes76 will be joined by his brother and 2014 #Gopher target Connor Mayes @PuppyloveMayes. #Gophers

Just saw this tweet. Visiting this weekend?

Maybe a commitment? "Join" is a vague term.

@preston_woods: Gopher Scrimmage was Live had a great time @GopherFootball I loved the intensity #Gophers #BigTen

Go Gophers!!

Woods is great player! Thick kid and very physical in the trenches. Hard to offer him this early when he's only 6'1"-6'2". I saw him at practice and he's a thick guy, could be a great guard if ends up at the U.

@puppylovemayes: Had a good lunch on campus with Coach Kill, Coach Limegrover, and Coach Poore! #Gophers #Minnesota #TheU

Go Gophers!!

Offering local kids is different than offering kids from 1,000 miles away. It is no big deal if you quit calling a kid in alabama who has offers from five other programs. Pull an offer on a local kid and the U is a bunch of jerks to a lot of people.
Alabama expects local guys to go to their camp to get offers. Kill believes in the same thing and will do it that way unless the player is so good there is no doubt, e.g. Ragnow. He may lose a kid that way, but he really hates wasting scholarships, and if you look at the way Brewster wasted them, it is hard to argue with the point.

Fantastic coverage! The amount of depth Vames put into that report is outstanding!

I am afraid there is way too much researched factual information and thoughtful opinions in his report for this site. If we allow this to happen where will we get our material for pissing matches?

I think the Woods kid at South St Paul is a baller.

Woods is great player! Thick kid and very physical in the trenches. Hard to offer him this early when he's only 6'1"-6'2". I saw him at practice and he's a thick guy, could be a great guard if ends up at the U.
I concur, this kid stays on his blocks to the whistle. I like Woods, hopefully he continues to grow but he has
a lot of strength for a guy that will first be a junior.

I am afraid there is way too much researched factual information and thoughtful opinions in his report for this site. If we allow this to happen where we get our material for pissing matches?

I will do my best to make something up in the lists. Although there probably is some area to discuss regarding 40 times! And I do round up as well when it comes to height/weights hence JC Hassenauer is up to 6'3 when he reported he was 6'2.5.

I will do my best to make something up in the lists. Although there probably is some area to discuss regarding 40 times! And I do round up as well when it comes to height/weights hence JC Hassenauer is up to 6'3 when he reported he was 6'2.5.

Sorry that I exposed that you round up! I am sure that will hurt your credibility here. Thanks again - You and DL add so much to this site.

I'm excited to read the write-ups Vames provides. There is no one else who can provide such in depth analysis on MN football recruits anywhere else. Can't imagine the time/effort it must take. Big thanks! I'm a homer and love to learn more about our local talent. I really enjoy the work.

Just saw that JC Hassenauer from East Ridge picked up second BCS offer from Vanderbilt. Interesting.....

@elmore2014: Iowa State just offered me #Number5 #Cyclones

Go Gophers!!

Lakeville North DE/OLB Greg Menard 6'2 215 has picked up his second FCS from SDSU to go along with NDSU. Am guessing he picks up a few more FCS offers then a FBS offer or two will follow.

ESPN 150 for class of 2014 came out.. and Jeff Jones was not on it. Big surprise (sarcasm). they do however now have a scouting report for him and apparently think he's going to be a better corner or safety because he lacks "running back skill set." Normally I respect a paywall, but screw'em.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...valuation/_/id/166744/jeff-jones?refresh=true

Jones is a big-framed running back with a good combination of size and straight-line speed. With his current measurables and athleticism he might get recruited as an athlete with potential production at cornerback or safety. He lacks a natural running back skill set as well and tends to run high and upright. He has a tall, well-built frame with room for growth. Displays good upper-body playing strength and appears durable withstanding a hit and retaining his forward progress. He's quicker than fast and a short strider who doesn't appear to have home run speed. Fast enough to pick up yards quickly when he breaks into the first level.

He runs from both a true running back position and from the Wildcat and shows the ability to read linebacker flow quickly and cutback through the hole with good anticipation when he breaks into the second level. More of a one-cut slasher than a natural pick-and-slide runner. Flashes more than adequate power and balance on contact but needs to play with lower center of gravity if he is going to break tackles at the next level. Will attack defenders and is aggressive when in traffic working to finish over his pads and keep his legs driving. Will effectively bounce out of the pile. Displays the lateral quicks to break to the outside extending his runs, but shows some hip tension changing direction and is not real elusive in space. Flashes the ability to slide off the edge but doesn't appear to possess the top-end speed needed to be a difference maker at the college level. He lacks smooth movements, balance out of his cuts and body control. Good hands with check down and release route receiving potential. Added bulk with improved playing strength could lead to carry-the-load status, but he will still need to run lower behind his pads. He's an aggressive perimeter defender who will close the cushion quickly and clean up on the short pass or perimeter running game. Could develop into a quality underneath zone defender or a safety/hybrid type.

Jones has a good blend of size, speed and ball skills. He might be a better overall football player than running back prospect at this point.

@a1_pericoo: Just picked up an offer from Minnesota Golden Gophers #B1G !!!!!!!!!

Go Gophers!!

per Doogie:

"A Nebraska assistant coach was at Chanhassen high school on Thursday, as they recruit junior offensive lineman Frank Ragnow. Gophers head coach Jerry Kill and Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen were also in recently. Ragnow only has three official offers, although that will change in the near future: Minnesota, Florida State, and South Florida."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/The_Scoops_Could_Rick_Adelman_wind_up_replacing_David_Kahn041813

Go Gophers!!

Ragnow is reporting that he picked up an offer from Missouri.

Top Bottom