Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

@traviswsn: Somerset (WI) junior TE Gaelin Elmore after visiting Wisconsin for spring game today: "Wisconsin's Stock UP" #Badgers #Gophers #Huskers

Go Gophers!!

@matt_seitz030: Great visit at Minnesota with @4romenesko! Amazing facilities and great coaches! #B1G #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

I saw Matt Seitz walking in today. He, along with a couple other recruits who are usually there, were the only ones who size-wise could play in the B1G.

I saw Matt Seitz walking in today. He, along with a couple other recruits who are usually there, were the only ones who size-wise could play in the B1G.

Maybe there is another Tyrone Carter in that group.

Well Greg Menard who was there (class of 2014 from Lakeville) already has a couple offers and he's a big kid for being about 5'10". So point taken on that good sir!

Rivals lists that he's 6'3". Am I missing something?

That is a good question. It appears to me that either HopherGole is missing 5" in his assessment or Rivals/Greg Medard has exaggerated his length by 5". I have been told that it is not uncommon for boys/men to do that so my money is on the 5'10". On the other hand, he could be just having a growth spurt. I have also noticed that for some kids their height and weight measurements stats can change quite a bit from year to year on these sites.

@knarfwongar: Just received and offer from The University of Pittsburgh #blessed

Go Gophers!!

Q&A with 2014 Gopher target Andrew Stelter in the Owatonna Peoples Press.

Quoted as saying, "If I had to put one at the top, it would be Minnesota because I know the coaches better and I’ve been around the program more. And I really like it up there,” Stelter said. “(Head coach Jerry) Kill is just an awesome guy. He’s so down to earth and real and easy to talk to, and their whole coaching staff is like that. They’ve been together for so long, I know I’ll be around them if I go up there.”

http://www.southernminn.com/owatonn...cle_aa062f72-e9df-55d1-b359-27a8e0a235bd.html

That is a good question. It appears to me that either HopherGole is missing 5" in his assessment or Rivals/Greg Medard has exaggerated his length by 5". I have been told that it is not uncommon for boys/men to do that so my money is on the 5'10". On the other hand, he could be just having a growth spurt. I have also noticed that for some kids their height and weight measurements stats can change quite a bit from year to year on these sites.

There is no way on this planet that he's over 6 feet tall!!! lol Not a chance in hell. I'm 6'3" and I could see right over his fro when he walked by me. ha

When some posts a twitter comment can they please list the player name as well?

Wonder why MN has not offered Reid Travis yet? So far just Iowa, BC and Rutgers.

ESPN 150 for class of 2014 came out.. and Jeff Jones was not on it. Big surprise (sarcasm). they do however now have a scouting report for him and apparently think he's going to be a better corner or safety because he lacks "running back skill set." Normally I respect a paywall, but screw'em.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...valuation/_/id/166744/jeff-jones?refresh=true

Jones is a big-framed running back with a good combination of size and straight-line speed. With his current measurables and athleticism he might get recruited as an athlete with potential production at cornerback or safety. He lacks a natural running back skill set as well and tends to run high and upright. He has a tall, well-built frame with room for growth. Displays good upper-body playing strength and appears durable withstanding a hit and retaining his forward progress. He's quicker than fast and a short strider who doesn't appear to have home run speed. Fast enough to pick up yards quickly when he breaks into the first level.

He runs from both a true running back position and from the Wildcat and shows the ability to read linebacker flow quickly and cutback through the hole with good anticipation when he breaks into the second level. More of a one-cut slasher than a natural pick-and-slide runner. Flashes more than adequate power and balance on contact but needs to play with lower center of gravity if he is going to break tackles at the next level. Will attack defenders and is aggressive when in traffic working to finish over his pads and keep his legs driving. Will effectively bounce out of the pile. Displays the lateral quicks to break to the outside extending his runs, but shows some hip tension changing direction and is not real elusive in space. Flashes the ability to slide off the edge but doesn't appear to possess the top-end speed needed to be a difference maker at the college level. He lacks smooth movements, balance out of his cuts and body control. Good hands with check down and release route receiving potential. Added bulk with improved playing strength could lead to carry-the-load status, but he will still need to run lower behind his pads. He's an aggressive perimeter defender who will close the cushion quickly and clean up on the short pass or perimeter running game. Could develop into a quality underneath zone defender or a safety/hybrid type.

Jones has a good blend of size, speed and ball skills. He might be a better overall football player than running back prospect at this point.

I'm not really surprised that he isn't on the Rivals150, he didn't have a huge year (because of injury reasons), it's hard to retain such an elite ranking with being injured a lot in your JR season.

I've only seen Jones play once and he was impressive. I have always said that I cannot tell much about HS RBs, there are just so few good RBs to come out of MN that I have virtually no point of reference. That said, he looked dynamic and like a natural runner.

My only issue with the ESPN analysis is that it seems a bit at odds with itself.

It said he wasn't a natural runner, but then it goes onto say that he has a good ability to read linebacker and cutback through the hole with good anticipation. It says that he finishes off runs well. It talks about him being quick laterally.

per Doogie:

"A Nebraska assistant coach was at Chanhassen high school on Thursday, as they recruit junior offensive lineman Frank Ragnow. Gophers head coach Jerry Kill and Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen were also in recently. Ragnow only has three official offers, although that will change in the near future: Minnesota, Florida State, and South Florida."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/The_Scoops_Could_Rick_Adelman_wind_up_replacing_David_Kahn041813

Go Gophers!!

Ragnow is as good of an OL that I've seen in MN outside of Henderson. (I never saw Pirsig in HS).

I was hoping his recruitment wouldn't get this hot until later, after we built up a big lead, but he is going to be a big time recruit. Lets hope he likes the idea of turning the U around and having a dominant OL from MN.

Tweet from Connor Mayes: @PuppyloveMayes: Confirmed that I'm playing in the US Army All American Bowl! Beyond blessed! #ArmyBowl

Go Gophers!!

New GopherHole Q&A: Top TE Prospect Gaelin Elmore Talks Gophers, Recruiting and Working on His Game

Gopher Hole: I know that you were at the Minnesota practice last week. Have you had a chance to go to many practices this spring?

Gaelin Elmore: That was my first practice. Before, I went ahead of time and toured the campus a little bit. We got to see the dorms and everything about the school.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Gaelin Elmore: Just that they want me to pretty much go there a lot. I am pretty much getting mail from them every day and talk to the coaches weekly. Right now, it just comes down to how comfortable I am with the players. I haven’t officially had a chance to meet the players and start building that relationship with them. That is it right now.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/249541?referrer_id=388419

Wonder why MN has not offered Reid Travis yet? So far just Iowa, BC and Rutgers.

I thought the same thing. However QBs (unless 4-5 stars) are typically offered later. The Gophers have yet to offer the top MN quarterbacks in 2014. Seems likely that Travis will be playing basketball in college. He also isn't the prototypical QB, just a phenomenal athlete. I would like to see him at TE.

Well Greg Menard who was there (class of 2014 from Lakeville) already has a couple offers and he's a big kid for being about 5'10". So point taken on that good sir!

Menard was listed on Lakeville North's roster at 6'2 215 last season. Rivals has him listed at 6'3 220. As I spoke with him on Saturday, I can confirm his at least 6'2. 215 or 220 sounds right. Leads the group with FCS offers with two at this point.

Menard was listed on Lakeville North's roster at 6'2 215 last season. Rivals has him listed at 6'3 220. As I spoke with him on Saturday, I can confirm his at least 6'2. 215 or 220 sounds right. Leads the group with FCS offers with two at this point.

With the fro maybe! No offense VAmes but he's closer to you in height than 6'3"....it's impossible. But he's a good player. I don't get too hung up on measurables if they can compensate elsewhere.

However QBs (unless 4-5 stars) are typically offered later.

Huh? The QB position is usually the first (or among the first) position recruited, and are typically the first/among the first to commit.

Huh? The QB position is usually the first (or among the first) position recruited, and are typically the first/among the first to commit.

That was once the case, but colleges need more time to scout that position before offering. There are some D1AA schools whom have yet to make a QB offer still this year. It also used to be that schools wouldn't offer recruits until their senior season and we don't see that anymore either.

That was once the case, but colleges need more time to scout that position before offering. There are some D1AA schools whom have yet to make a QB offer still this year. It also used to be that schools wouldn't offer recruits until their senior season and we don't see that anymore either.

If by "once the case", you mean, "currently happening", then you are correct.

Every QB of consequence on the current Gopher roster (as well as recent departees Shortell and Parish) were the first or among the first players to commit in their respective classes. The only recent exception is Gray, who delayed his commitment because he wanted to make a big splash at the Army AA game.

The reason Reid Travis isn't relevant to the discussion is that he will probably never play Division I football, and if he does, the Gophers aren't going to tie up a scholarship/commitment slot at a position as important as QB with a guy who might never put on a football uniform. I personally think he isn't a Division I QB and the programs telling him that he is are just telling him what he wants to hear - but what do I know.

If by "once the case", you mean, "currently happening", then you are correct.

Every QB of consequence on the current Gopher roster (as well as recent departees Shortell and Parish) were the first or among the first players to commit in their respective classes. The only recent exception is Gray, who delayed his commitment because he wanted to make a big splash at the Army AA game.

The reason Reid Travis isn't relevant to the discussion is that he will probably never play Division I football, and if he does, the Gophers aren't going to tie up a scholarship/commitment slot at a position as important as QB with a guy who might never put on a football uniform. I personally think he isn't a Division I QB and the programs telling him that he is are just telling him what he wants to hear - but what do I know.

I have no idea if Travis is a D1 QB, but he is a D1 athlete. He is already 6'8" 240 lbs and extremely athletic. If QB didn't work out, he could easily transition to DE or TE and be an absolute freak athlete for that position.

If this kid decides to play football (not likely), it should really bother people that we have been so slow to offer. Extending this kid an offer has no downside.

QBs are the first playes to get offers and to commit (usually).

New GopherHole Q&A: Top TE Prospect Gaelin Elmore Talks Gophers, Recruiting and Working on His Game

Gopher Hole: I know that you were at the Minnesota practice last week. Have you had a chance to go to many practices this spring?

Gaelin Elmore: That was my first practice. Before, I went ahead of time and toured the campus a little bit. We got to see the dorms and everything about the school.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Gaelin Elmore: Just that they want me to pretty much go there a lot. I am pretty much getting mail from them every day and talk to the coaches weekly. Right now, it just comes down to how comfortable I am with the players. I haven’t officially had a chance to meet the players and start building that relationship with them. That is it right now.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/249541?referrer_id=388419

This kid seems to be very interstead in the gophers. wanting to meet players... wanting to work with TE coach

With the fro maybe! No offense VAmes but he's closer to you in height than 6'3"....it's impossible. But he's a good player. I don't get too hung up on measurables if they can compensate elsewhere.

Hopher...I am guessing you know who I am than as I do indeed stand 5'8...barely. I mentioned 6'2 was the roster height. Perhaps he is 6'1.5! Either way he is a solid player. Not sure if he will pick up a BCS offer, but he leads our group with FCS offers at two.

Hopher...I am guessing you know who I am than as I do indeed stand 5'8...barely. I mentioned 6'2 was the roster height. Perhaps he is 6'1.5! Either way he is a solid player. Not sure if he will pick up a BCS offer, but he leads our group with FCS offers at two.

haha Yes I recognized you Saturday. I've seen ya there a few times. I TOO start to recognize the familiar faces around practice.....or just check nametags.

Top Bottom