Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I think it's a combination of the staff being picky and WR recruits being a little skeptical. To be honest, if I was a WR I'd be a little hesitant to want to play here. We ran the ball 70% of the time last year and our QB play was erratic at best. The coaching staff can sell immediate playing time and the "potential" of our passing game and QB's but that will only take you so far.

FWIW, Isaiah Gentry will probably be deciding very soon and coach Kill and coach Anderson are visiting Holland's home tonight. I'm confident we'll get 2 of Holland, Lenius, and Gentry.

Agreed. Also have to consider that our two highest rated WR recruits from the past few years are not even with the team any longer. I could see why these guys are hesitant.

We have Wolitarsky, Jones and Carter from last year. They are going to be a solid group with more experience. Our O-line is all returning…including an all-american freshman…and we are adding an all-american in Connor Mayes. Can't help but think the quarterback will have more time to make better passes. With a better O-line, better running (we didn't discover Cobb until a ways into the season…and we are going to add Edwards and probably Jeff Jones)…I am not really all that worried. Our WRs were creating space by the end of the year. We may not have Nelson, but Leidner is certainly more experienced as a RS soph and Strevler, Conway and Rhoda coming off red shirt years and Dexter Foreman being a junior and McKinzey and Perra coming on board…certainly it would be better to have Nelson, but we also got rid of quarterback controversy..and it is easy to see that Leidner likes the run, run system. It is hard to see how this offense doesn't improve whether or not we get the 2 WRs we are hoping for.

I agree with all you stated, the offense will be better but the question becomes will we pass more? I think we will but i woudl like to see more of it in the non conference to build up confidence. just think of how defenses will play if they dont have 8 in the box? i beleive we have guys in place that can really do damage in hte passing game as well.

But we will be better with the two WR's than without them- long term

We have Wolitarsky, Jones and Carter from last year. They are going to be a solid group with more experience. Our O-line is all returning…including an all-american freshman…and we are adding an all-american in Connor Mayes. Can't help but think the quarterback will have more time to make better passes. With a better O-line, better running (we didn't discover Cobb until a ways into the season…and we are going to add Edwards and probably Jeff Jones)…I am not really all that worried. Our WRs were creating space by the end of the year. We may not have Nelson, but Leidner is certainly more experienced as a RS soph and Strevler, Conway and Rhoda coming off red shirt years and Dexter Foreman being a junior and McKinzey and Perra coming on board…certainly it would be better to have Nelson, but we also got rid of quarterback controversy..and it is easy to see that Leidner likes the run, run system. It is hard to see how this offense doesn't improve whether or not we get the 2 WRs we are hoping for.

I agree the offense should continue to get better just with players already on the team but with the current structure of the Oline it could be downright scary with the potential additions of Jones, Holland Jr, Gentry, Smith and Elmore at the skill positions.

The interviews from Gentry and Holland have been extremely positive. I'll be surprised if Gentry doesn't commit within a few days and I think we're the favorite for Holland too. No need to panic.

Agreed. Also have to consider that our two highest rated WR recruits from the past few years are not even with the team any longer. I could see why these guys are hesitant.

Those two guys had discipline issues. Being a WR is just a coincidence. Stay on the straight and narrow and there wont be any issues.

The interviews from Gentry and Holland have been extremely positive. I'll be surprised if Gentry doesn't commit within a few days and I think we're the favorite for Holland too. No need to panic.

I agree. This class is coming together nicely. Just need to get one more DB (assuming Craig James is a silent verbal). I'm hoping this class finishes up strong with Jones, Ragnow, Holland Jr, Gentry, James and one more DB (I'm holding out hope for Christian Campbell). The Gophers appear to be in a very good place with all of them.

I agree. This class is coming together nicely. Just need to get one more DB (assuming Craig James is a silent verbal). I'm hoping this class finishes up strong with Jones, Ragnow, Holland Jr, Gentry, James and one more DB (I'm holding out hope for Christian Campbell). The Gophers appear to be in a very good place with all of them.

That's what I'm hoping for too, and it's really not that crazy to think we could get all of those guys. The biggest question mark is Campbell considering he said it's his dream to play in the SEC, but at least he didn't commit to Missouri over the weekend on his visit and has already tweeted he's planning on making the trip to Minnesota this weekend.

No doubt it would be nice to get a couple DBs. The world is not lost if we don't…we have Davis Anderson walking on as a safety and Alec Kocour is hopefully going to be a PWO (he has 8 scholarship offers). People seem optimistic that Craig James will commit as a CB. You can't get everything in such small classes…but what you get you want to plug the holes and 3 of our 4 starting DBs are returning….

Just watched Lenius highlight tape, he is a very impressive wide receiver. You can find a spot for a guy that big on any team in the country he would provide a pretty good mismatch with his size. I wonder how seriously he is considering us, i know he has strong interest in Miami. A combination of Lenius, Holland, and Max Williams would be a quarterbacks dream!

Just watched Lenius highlight tape, he is a very impressive wide receiver. You can find a spot for a guy that big on any team in the country he would provide a pretty good mismatch with his size. I wonder how seriously he is considering us, i know he has strong interest in Miami. A combination of Lenius, Holland, and Max Williams would be a quarterbacks dream!

Lenius, Williams and 6-9 Wozniak

Any of these guys at WR would be big gets. The fact that we are down to the last week and they are considering us is great. Many good players wait until the last week for the spotlight. These are some of the kids we want to be in on. Kill also acknowledged on the radio yesterday that they have to go get some WR's this week. He knows the pressure is on and he and staff have to get it done.

You really have to be a special/confident player to come into a situation where you could play right away and have to upper class players to learn from. We need two. Go get them coach.

Also pretty sad that MN can't develop one D1 WR each year.

Ryan Burns ‏@RyanBurnsGI 3m
BREAKING NEWS: Virginia WR Melvin Holland (@MelloYllw21) has committed to #Minnesota. Huge get for the Gophers.

Minnesota has produced one or more Division I scholarship signees at WR in every year since at least 2003.

My bad, I was thinking Gophers. 4 have signed with the Gophers. Two under Kill.

McDonald
Fruechte
Tufts
Decker

Did Isaiah Gentry get a scholarship offer this weekend? I was just looking on GI and it doesn't have a offer for him. I would think if we did it wouldnt be to hard to get him here instead of kent state.

Did Isaiah Gentry get a scholarship offer this weekend? I was just looking on GI and it doesn't have a offer for him. I would think if we did it wouldnt be to hard to get him here instead of kent state.

we offered him over the weekend

Awesome PWO Class adds P Logan McElfresh to the following six. I don't recall last year having so many this early…am I wrong?
QB Jaques Perra
FBs Miles Thomas and Riley Oharah (already enrolled)
LS Payton Jordahl
S Davis Anderson
K Emmit Carpenter
I seem to recall reading somewhere that they got a PWO commitment from a punter too, does anyone know anything about that?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>GI can confirm that <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Minnesota&src=hash">#Minnesota</a> just picked up it's second commit of the hour in Dayton (Ohio) Centerville OL Jared Weyler. Boom.</p>— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsGI) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsGI/statuses/427960574819840000">January 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I seem to recall reading somewhere that they got a PWO commitment from a punter too, does anyone know anything about that?

Is Carpenter really a PWO? He is listed on the 247 site as a scholarship commit. Do we know for sure if he is taking up a spot in this year's class??

Throw in Lenius or Gentry and the Gophers have one hell of a group of big bodied, athletic receivers. A legit presence at WR will make big running lanes even bigger.

Top Bottom