Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Got some bad news, my best friends' son goes to Chanhassen with Frank and he said that today at lunch Frank was eating pork rinds, was reading a 2-Point conversion chart and was wearing socks he bought at Walmart...all signs point to Arkansas!

And dreaming of living off campus with a dozen or so of his teammates in a double-wide.

Just to reiterate, the other BCS offers of our commitments:

Poock: TCU and Illinois
Blasingame: Northwestern
Elmore: Iowa St., Indiana, Michigan St., Nebraska, Wisconsin
Gibson: Iowa
Jones: Florida, Michigan St., Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, and others
Kafo: Iowa, Pittsburgh, Nebraska, Purdue
Mayes: Baylor, Kansas St., Ole Miss, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and others
McKinzy: Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska
Stetler: Iowa St.

That's 9 of our 13 commitments.

Thanks for doing the leg work, this was precisely my point. The offers of our commits are much more impressive with this year's class than Kill's previous classes.

Gentry i would think would excel in the 100 and 200 meters by looking at his film, he doesn't appear to have a good burst but he has good speed once he gets his legs going and is pretty similar to Crawford Tufts. still a dime a dozen if you ask me

I disagree, you don't find a ton of guys with that kind of size and speed. There aren't many on the Gopher roster anyways.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>We would like to welcome our 4 newest <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> to Campus Dimonic McKinzy, Cody Poock, Riley Ohara and Miles Thomas! Ski-U-Mah! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BrickByBrick&src=hash">#BrickByBrick</a></p>— GopherGridiron (@GopherGridiron) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherGridiron/statuses/425644285279490049">January 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Colerain senior QB/athlete Kelvin Cook verbally commits to Miami University <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23enqr&src=hash">#enqr</a> <a href="http://t.co/Eg3wY8S67d">http://t.co/Eg3wY8S67d</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/Enquirer">@Enquirer</a></p>— Mike Dyer (@MikeDyer) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeDyer/statuses/425649777343086592">January 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jonathan Celestin, LB from GA will visit on 1-24. From same HS as RB Rodney Smith.

Scales committing must have put some wheels in motion here.

Cook/Scales might have been a package deal of some sort, or at least a carrot to further convince Scales.

Now the staff seems to be looking for another potential linebacker in Celestin.

I'll say this, he's got a nice highlight tape, which is never a fullproof indicator but nevertheless. Playmaker, good speed, hits hard and ballcarriers snap backwards at impact. He even fights through blocks really well for a small guy. That might be the main rub, he's probably 6' 0-6'1, 190-205.

Possibly Delatavious Mcghee II but at LB?

I had the same thought Ole. Cook and Scales ended up at different schools, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kill and company tried to pair them.

Celestin is really below the radar, but that doesn't mean he's not a good player.

The thing I love about this coaching staff is that they do recruit nationally. We're offering (and getting) more kids out of the Deep South than I can remember going way back.

Cook/Scales might have been a package deal of some sort, or at least a carrot to further convince Scales.

I'll say this, he's got a nice highlight tape, which is never a fullproof indicator but nevertheless. Playmaker, good speed, hits hard and ballcarriers snap backwards at impact. He even fights through blocks really well for a small guy. That might be the main rub, he's probably 6' 0-6'1, 190-205.

It is hard to fathom how a kid with 130+ tackles, conference Defensive POY, district Defensive POY could have no legit offers, but his size explains it I guess. This is who we are for right now, recruiting guys who're just a step slow, a couple inches too short or a few pounds too light. These players can be coached up, but the player must have intangibles (which I think the staff as fantastic at identifying) and it's important not to expect immediate impact from these types of players. We've got to red-shirt them & look for them to be serious contributors as r-Jr's.

Looks like he plays full speed until the whistle blows too. Rivals reports a 3.7 GPA.

Demetrius Kemp will be making a decision between Minnesota and Wake Forest in the near future.

S/Ath Demetrius Kemp and HS teammate WR/Ath Cortez Leweis are both soft commits to Wake Forest. Both players also show continued interest in Boise State and.... Minnesota. Package deal?

There are so many potential recruits at this point I can't keep up. Too many names to concern myself with. (that's an awesome thing for the Gophers though). :)
At this point, I'm going to worry about Jones, Ragnow, Holland Jr., and Rodney Smith. If anyone else becomes a Gopher, then welcome aboard!

How many schollies do we have left to give? 7ish?

Ragnow-We probably wait for him regardless and throw Weyler a spot if he goes south
Holland/Gentry/Lenius-How many Wrs?
Smith-RB likely would commit but waiting on Jones to firm up, does he stick if Jones stays?
James/Campbell/Kemp-2 or 3 DBs?
Does Celestin get a late offer? What about this Walter Brady that's visiting on the 31st.
Anyone else I'm missing?

Ragnow-We probably wait for him regardless and throw Weyler a spot if he goes south
Smith-RB likely would commit but waiting on Jones to firm up, does he stick if Jones stays?
Does Celestin get a late offer? What about this Walter Brady that's visiting on the 31st.
Anyone else I'm missing?

Kill said he would ink 18-20 and there are 13 listed on the Rivals commitments page. I'm not sure if Kill's number goes up with the departure of Nelson and McDonald, but I am guessing it includes those openings. Rivals doesn't mention Riley O'Hara and Miles Thomas, so I'm assuming they are PWO players and not scholarship players.

Anyone else I'm missing?

Pretty good breakdown of where I think we're at as well Ole. The two positions where we still "need" commits from are WR and DB.

WR: Holland and Lenius are the top 2 targets IMO. If we get 1 or neither, Gentry is an option and Kemp is a possible WR as well. Conner Krizancic is another possible fall back.

DB: James and Campbell are the top 2 IMO. James is a possible silent verbal. If we miss out on Campbell then Nilijah Bellow, a current Louisville commit, is a possible target, and Kemp could play here as well if we get him. Isaiah Warton is another name still out there.

I think we'll end up with 2 WR's and 2 more DB's, with Kemp as a flex WR/DB if he commits. The rest of the spots will be given to best talent available regardless of position. My ranking for the remaining players (non WR/DB) would be:

1. OT Ragnow
2. RB Smith (I think the staff would like him regardless of the outcome of Jeff Jones's situation)
3. LB Celestin
4. OL Weyler

It's possible I'm missing someone and other names could pop up as well.

Top Bottom