Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Agree 100%

I also agree! He's a guy who's really elevated his game who people are just starting to take notice of. Sounds like we have a good shot at getting a commit from him.

Melvin Holland is a really polite kid. He has retweeted and thanked a number of Gopher fans for the nice things we say about him. Hopefully he becomes a Gopher, I think he will be special.

That's my understanding as well. The Gophers took a step back in recruiting him on their own accord not because they thought he was out of reach.

Does anyone here actually have any real knowledge (with sources?) about whether they really did take a step back and if so what the reason was?

Sounds like Holland is on LSU's radar if they miss out on a few other WR recruits:

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2014/01/a_look_at_lsus_2014_recruiting.html

Maybe this question has been asked many times on the site (I'm rather new so forgive me) but I wonder how this "we want you, but only if we miss out on these three other guys first" thing plays with a recruit?

I'd imagine it varies depending on the kid and the school, but I'd have to imagine if a coach from Minnesota is showing sincere interest in me (thinking like 18 year old me) and then as others decide to go elsewhere, LSU comes swinging in, the team with the most equity in me would be my choice.

As for Holland. It sounds like he's attracted a lot of recent attention so maybe no one has that type of relationship that would trump an offer like LSU?

Maybe this question has been asked many times on the site (I'm rather new so forgive me) but I wonder how this "we want you, but only if we miss out on these three other guys first" thing plays with a recruit?

I'd imagine it varies depending on the kid and the school, but I'd have to imagine if a coach from Minnesota is showing sincere interest in me (thinking like 18 year old me) and then as others decide to go elsewhere, LSU comes swinging in, the team with the most equity in me would be my choice.

As for Holland. It sounds like he's attracted a lot of recent attention so maybe no one has that type of relationship that would trump an offer like LSU?

Yeah, I think it varies by person. Think back to when you were applying for college. Say you were accepted to the UofM but waitlisted at Harvard and if a spot opened up they'd take you. I can see why many people would still hold out hope for that spot at Harvard and how some might say 'screw them' and stick with the U.

Yeah, I think it varies by person. Think back to when you were applying for college. Say you were accepted to the UofM but waitlisted at Harvard and if a spot opened up they'd take you. I can see why many people would still hold out hope for that spot at Harvard and how some might say 'screw them' and stick with the U.

Hmmm- I love the U and went there for undergrad and grad- but I'm thinking that if I thought enough of Harvard such that I went through the hassle of doing the umpteen essays, etc for the application, the second the acceptance letter comes from Harvard I'm learning to mispronounce my "ar" words.

Looks like Melvin Holland Jr and Sr are the latest targets of ***********A's pestering on twitter. Using the weather to try to scare him away, lame. Hope he becomes a Gopher!

*Wow, didn't realize PntherHwk's name is starred-out on this forum! Anway, that's who the stars are mentioning in my comment above.

Well just hope that LSU radar indicates they do not miss out on other WR recruits

Sounds like Holland is on LSU's radar if they miss out on a few other WR recruits:

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2014/01/a_look_at_lsus_2014_recruiting.html

Would be great opportunity for Holland Jr. if LSU were to offer him but for selfish reasons the fewer helmet schools involved and larger offers we would have to compete with the better. God I am hoping because our coaches were amongst some of the first to notice that he likes Minnesota. Gophers would have him on the fast track to the league because this kid would likely come in and play as a freshman, not just because he is good but because we flat out need more wide recievers.
(The Gophers were once a helmet school, not since the 1960's I know)
Here is hoping our coaching staff and academics are enough to get Holland jr. to the U. He is the type of receiver that we need more of, big athletic guy, good runner, that can highpoint a ball and bring in the tough catches. Plus sounds like a smart kid too, multiple positions played, terminology and sounds like grades are no issue, so academics and qualifying to get in to the U will not be an issue.

Panthertweeter source of U of M hatred

Looks like Melvin Holland Jr and Sr are the latest targets of ***********A's pestering on twitter. Using the weather to try to scare him away, lame. Hope he becomes a Gopher!

*Wow, didn't realize PntherHwk's name is starred-out on this forum! Anway, that's who the stars are mentioning in my comment above.
Yep pantherdweeb is an internet tough guy and a poser in costume dressing for star wars.

Panthertweeter's source of Minnesota hatred must be some cute bessy cow he saw being showcased at the Minnesota state Fair by a FFA U student. When the bessy turned down his advances with a big giant dump at him, he must have vowed to forever hate and stalk the Gophers. That or he tried his Jedi nerd crap powers on a Minnesota girl and she told him to get bent dweeb.

Pantherdweebs hot Friday date, counting pennies by hand and putting them in those stupid coin wraps to bring to the bank, not realizing there are these new machines at the bank that will count the coins for you.

That pretty much sums up Pantherstalkers life, counting pennies to pay for gas, and freeloading in mom and dads basement sitting on the internet all day.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Unreal game <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23wow&src=hash">#wow</a></p>— Frank Ragnow (@KNARFWONGAR) <a href="https://twitter.com/KNARFWONGAR/statuses/420427342029127680">January 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Any news on D'Ernest Johnson? I see on rivals that were the only school he has taken a official visit to, I'm wondering if he's waiting to see what Jones deciding to do.

Any news on D'Ernest Johnson? I see on rivals that were the only school he has taken a official visit to, I'm wondering if he's waiting to see what Jones deciding to do.

you can go to page 101 of this thread where we talked about him for a while

@Elmore2014: For the record. I haven't talked to a College Coach, that isn't on the Minnesota Gopher staff, about football in approximately 4 months! &#55356;&#57288;〽&#55356;&#57288;

Yep pantherdweeb is an internet tough guy and a poser in costume dressing for star wars.

Panthertweeter's source of Minnesota hatred must be some cute bessy cow he saw being showcased at the Minnesota state Fair by a FFA U student. When the bessy turned down his advances with a big giant dump at him, he must have vowed to forever hate and stalk the Gophers. That or he tried his Jedi nerd crap powers on a Minnesota girl and she told him to get bent dweeb.

Pantherdweebs hot Friday date, counting pennies by hand and putting them in those stupid coin wraps to bring to the bank, not realizing there are these new machines at the bank that will count the coins for you.

That pretty much sums up Pantherstalkers life, counting pennies to pay for gas, and freeloading in mom and dads basement sitting on the internet all day.

Love how Melvin's dad gave it right back to PntherHwk on twitter! It was great to see.

@Elmore2014: For the record. I haven't talked to a College Coach, that isn't on the Minnesota Gopher staff, about football in approximately 4 months! &#55356;&#57288;〽&#55356;&#57288;

This guy is already one of my favorite Gophers!!!!!

It seems like Melvin Jr. and his dad really like Minnesota, but I have a feeling we have no chance if a better offer than Rutgers comes from a team on the east coast or SEC country.

Quit being a defeatist, you're the fan of a big time university. Act like one.

Quit being a defeatist, you're the fan of a big time university. Act like one.
To be fair, Melvin's dad is out there pushing for an LSU offer, saying his son deserves big offers and is "SEC quality".

With both Wisconsin and LSU showing interest in Holland, it seems like this may be a kid to watch.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Badgers could use RT <a href="https://twitter.com/TomVH">@TomVH</a>: Louisville WR decommit George Rushing says he visits Wisconsin Jan. 17, LSU Jan. 24 and TCU midweek on Jan. 29.</p>— ESPN Big Ten (@ESPN_BigTen) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPN_BigTen/statuses/421001408218157056">January 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He may be for the prestige of it all but he will realize were his quickest path NFL

To be fair, Melvin's dad is out there pushing for an LSU offer, saying his son deserves big offers and is "SEC quality".

Guy's like Melvin Holland jr can help put the Gophers back on the map, and Gopher fans have been pretty ecstatic that he is taking a visit and considering us. Once he meets coach Kill and coach Swavell,
see's the playing time that is likely available to him, and that this coaching staff keeps in touch with their players,
and that coach Kill genuinely takes care of people and makes sure they are prepared for life after football he will see we can match up. Besides that, why not be a big fish in a growing pond, in our league I think the Minnesota program is adapting faster to the speed aspect of the game like the SEC(Similar to what Iowa is doing) and that once we turn the corner there will be no looking back. We run the ball a lot but need playmakers that can do things with the ball in there hands. Maxx Williams has started to emerge so have Wolitarsky and Dohnavahn Jones, but we need more kids that can do things with the ball in their hands. Minnesota is a place he can be a showplace player, not just another guy that will be forgotten, and the stuff about having opportunity after college with a degree from a Big 10 University like Minnesota is something that matters. How many fortune five hundred company's, even fortune 20 company's does Baton Rouge have? There is a reason that we build large company's and corporate giants in this place,(strong work ethic and educated work force) and it is not just by happenstance.
If kid's do well here there is opportunity to network, apply for internships and make connections. Were a smaller division of a larger corporation headquartered here, and 80 % of our college interns are U students.

per Shama on McKinzy and Poock, not sure why Shama just didn't name them:

Expect a high school quarterback and junior college linebacker to enroll at the University of Minnesota later this month. Both would take part in spring football, with the quarterback having four years of eligibility and the linebacker three.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

@deronTHETRUTH20 Deron Thompson has just tweeted he is announcing his commitment today on twitter. Are we in the mix for him?

I know he visited but not 100% certain if we gave an offer?

Top Bottom