Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Who will the next big commitment announcements for the Gophers? We are in the home stretch and expect to see a frenetic jockeying for the uncommitted.

Are we expecting ten to twelve commitments?

I look for exciting and maybe surprising announcements to come mid-month on.

Who will the next big commitment announcements for the Gophers? We are in the home stretch and expect to see a frenetic jockeying for the uncommitted.

Are we expecting ten to twelve commitments?

I look for exciting and maybe surprising announcements to come mid-month on.

National Signing Day is 30 days from now. Potential Gophers have many visits to other schools. My guess is that most of those players will sign the week before and on NSD.

I think we've cooled on Johnson, I don't think he's heard from us since his visit.

This guy was a heavy Louisville lean.. I bet Strong jumping ship to Texas was a huge blow for him. Might be considering other options if so.

I may be wrong, but I thought I heard Kill say we will have two maybe three early enrollees. A lb, qb, and one more. Who would be the qb?

Yep. What is so hilarious?
We cooled on him? No. That's Badger talk.

We didn't cool on a guy with offers from Georgia, Louisville, Ole Miss, and UNC to spend our focus on guys with offers from App State and Southern Mississippi. We heavily recruited him up to the point that he openly said Louisville was his favorite. We then wisely decided to focus elsewhere on guys that were serious about us (who frankly had less options). Now that Strong is gone I'd expect us to get back the in the game.

The ol' "we cooled on him" is the equivalent of "you're not breaking up with me! I'm breaking up with you!"

We didn't cool on a guy with offers from Georgia, Louisville, Ole Miss, and UNC to spend our focus on guys with offers from App State and Southern Mississippi. We heavily recruited him up to the point that he openly said Louisville was his favorite. We then wisely decided to focus elsewhere on guys that were serious about us (who frankly had less options). Now that Strong is gone I'd expect us to get back the in the game.

The ol' "we cooled on him" is the equivalent of "you're not breaking up with me! I'm breaking up with you!"
Okay, good, he would next a really nice player to have but I guess you could say I'm star gazing too much

I highly doubt the Georgia, Ole Miss, and UNC offers are committable at this point. Ole Miss and Georgia both have 2 RB commits that are rated higher. Per Carolina's 247 site, they only have one more spot for their 2014 class and Johnson isn't a target. He hasn't visited those schools either. In fact, the only visit he's made is to Minnesota, and he has one scheduled with Louisville on January 17th. His options aren't as good as you're making them out to be. I'm not saying we cooled on him because I'm upset we didn't have a shot at him, I just mean we literally stopped recruiting him, whatever the reason is doesn't really matter. Maybe we'll start going after him again since Strong is gone, I guess we'll find out.

I just mean we literally stopped recruiting him, whatever the reason is doesn't really matter.
Of course it does. "Cooled on him" is universally understood to mean that the coaching staff decided that they were no longer interested in said player. It's something that Badger fans do all the time when they lose out on a player and it's beyond petty.

Of course it does. "Cooled on him" is universally understood to mean that the coaching staff decided that they were no longer interested in said player. It's something that Badger fans do all the time when they lose out on a player and it's beyond petty.

I was under the impression we cooled on him after he was given a 6 game suspension for 'fighting', but I don't know for sure. There's actually footage of the play of youtube and it barely even warranted a penalty imo.

This seems like a positive development with Strong leaving UL.

That's my understanding as well. The Gophers took a step back in recruiting him on their own accord not because they thought he was out of reach.

Whatever you may think, according to Ryan Burns we indeed cooled on Johnson.

I highly doubt the Georgia, Ole Miss, and UNC offers are committable at this point. Ole Miss and Georgia both have 2 RB commits that are rated higher. Per Carolina's 247 site, they only have one more spot for their 2014 class and Johnson isn't a target. He hasn't visited those schools either. In fact, the only visit he's made is to Minnesota, and he has one scheduled with Louisville on January 17th. His options aren't as good as you're making them out to be. I'm not saying we cooled on him because I'm upset we didn't have a shot at him, I just mean we literally stopped recruiting him, whatever the reason is doesn't really matter. Maybe we'll start going after him again since Strong is gone, I guess we'll find out.

is his Minnesota offer committable?

We didn't cool on a guy with offers from Georgia, Louisville, Ole Miss, and UNC to spend our focus on guys with offers from App State and Southern Mississippi.

So what you are saying is that there is no way the coaches would prefer a kid with "lesser" offers over a kid with "better" offers. No chance they would think that someone would be a better fit or have less chance of admittance or off-field issues if they had "lesser" offers?

Thanks for your enlightened posts. Each one is further off than the previous.

Really wish we could address are WR group with this class, but with that said are qb play needs to get a lot better to attract good wide outs.

I was under the impression we cooled on him after he was given a 6 game suspension for 'fighting', but I don't know for sure. There's actually footage of the play of youtube and it barely even warranted a penalty imo.

If anyone knows fighting, it is Russ Archambault.:)

So what you are saying is that there is no way the coaches would prefer a kid with "lesser" offers over a kid with "better" offers. No chance they would think that someone would be a better fit or have less chance of admittance or off-field issues if they had "lesser" offers?

Thanks for your enlightened posts. Each one is further off than the previous.
Well aren't you just a little peach?

I'd answer you seriously, but what's the point?

Really wish we could address are WR group with this class, but with that said are qb play needs to get a lot better to attract good wide outs.

Both Melvin Holland Jr. And Isaiah Gentry are on the radar. Both are big athletic WRs. Seems that the Gophers have a good chance with Holland Jr haven't heard much about Gentry's interest. Holland visits 1/17 and Gentry visits on 1/24.

Both Melvin Holland Jr. And Isaiah Gentry are on the radar. Both are big athletic WRs. Seems that the Gophers have a good chance with Holland Jr haven't heard much about Gentry's interest. Holland visits 1/17 and Gentry visits on 1/24.

Holland would be a HUGE get. He tops my wish list right now.

Top Bottom