Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Wins and losses are incredibly overrated in terms of their immediate impact on recruiting. They only really matter if they appear to be putting a coach's job in jeopardy, or if they begin to erode the overall support of the program.

Not for Ragnow. I think he's hesitant about the culture of losing up here and a game like yesterday hurts us with him, I would guess.

Not for Ragnow. I think he's hesitant about the culture of losing up here and a game like yesterday hurts us with him, I would guess.
But that's taking into account 40 years of losing. Do you understand what I'm saying? The entire premise of the argument isn't based on us losing one game to Syracuse, it's based on us being a losing program for 40 years. 40 years of wins and losses matters. ONE win or loss does not.

If we had a history of success, losing to Syracuse isn't going to change that. And if we beat Syracuse the question of if Minnesota can really be a consistent winner isn't going to change either.

But that's taking into account 40 years of losing. Do you understand what I'm saying? The entire premise of the argument isn't based on us losing one game to Syracuse, it's based on us being a losing program for 40 years. 40 years of wins and losses matters. ONE win or loss does not.

If we had a history of success, losing to Syracuse isn't going to change that. And if we beat Syracuse the question of if Minnesota can really be a consistent winner isn't going to change either.

I hear what you're saying but don't entirely agree. FSU has a history of being a great program, but I doubt Frank would have them in his top 2 if they were 6-6 this year. JC Hassenauer isn't at Bama if it was the Bama of 10 years ago. Likewise, if the Gophers had finished 11-2, Frank would be a virtual lock to attend the U regardless of what has transpired for the last 40 years. The fact that we won 4 in a row in B1G play helped our cause, he's said as much.

It's obviously going to be a close call between the U and Florida St. for him, and the last impression we left was a bad one, while FSU is playing in the national championship game. Obviously this isn't guaranteed to swing him, but it surely doesn't help our cause.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just got off the phone with Boise State <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Blessed&src=hash">#Blessed</a> &#55357;&#56911;</p>— Martavius Mims 1⃣3⃣ (@Mims_NotHot) <a href="https://twitter.com/Mims_NotHot/statuses/417126800415019010">December 29, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just got off the phone with Boise State <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Blessed&src=hash">#Blessed</a> ��</p>— Martavius Mims 1⃣3⃣ (@Mims_NotHot) <a href="https://twitter.com/Mims_NotHot/statuses/417126800415019010">December 29, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

still don't really see any way he doesn't come here with the way the offers stand as of now.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Minnesota <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> football recruit Gaelin Elmore (TE) scores his 1000th career point on the basketball court tonight. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23wisbb&src=hash">#wisbb</a></p>— Travis Wilson (@travisWSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/travisWSN/statuses/417140608545718272">December 29, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Minnesota <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> football recruit Gaelin Elmore (TE) scores his 1000th career point on the basketball court tonight. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23wisbb&src=hash">#wisbb</a></p>— Travis Wilson (@travisWSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/travisWSN/statuses/417140608545718272">December 29, 2013</a></blockquote>

Can he play QB?

I hear what you're saying but don't entirely agree. FSU has a history of being a great program, but I doubt Frank would have them in his top 2 if they were 6-6 this year. JC Hassenauer isn't at Bama if it was the Bama of 10 years ago. Likewise, if the Gophers had finished 11-2, Frank would be a virtual lock to attend the U regardless of what has transpired for the last 40 years. The fact that we won 4 in a row in B1G play helped our cause, he's said as much.
You're talking about a difference of 5-6 games, not one.

You're talking about a difference of 5-6 games, not one.

It's obviously going to be a close call between the U and Florida St. for him, and the last impression we left was a bad one, while FSU is playing in the national championship game. Obviously this isn't guaranteed to swing him, but it surely doesn't help our cause.

I thought the multiple uniform combos and white helmets were supposed to settle these things. It's what the kids like, right?:cool02:

But I also listen to what he has to say and our performances matter to Frank.

Of course our performances matter, but if being on a contending team is Ragnow's main concern......would he even be considering the Gophers? I don't think that one game is going to have the impact that you think it will.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>2014 B1G Recruiting Update <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> National Rankings Scout 65, Rivals 68, 24/7 - 67</p>— Gerry DiNardo (@gerrydinardo) <a href="https://twitter.com/gerrydinardo/statuses/417687692319531008">December 30, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

I guess we just have a different definition of "very few" and "not many". The #2 ranked 2014 class on rivals right now is Tennessee. They haven't gone to a bowl game since 2010. They have two 5* and 15 4* commits right now. Kentucky has nine 4* recruits. They just won two games and haven't gone to a bowl game since 2010 as well. NC State has one 5* and two 4* recruits after not winning a single conference game this season.

There are 28 5* recruits on rivals for 2014. 19 of those have announced a commitment. Two are going to Virginia, two are going to Tennessee, one North Carolina, and one NC State.

I was never arguing that just as many pick playing time over program success. I just think kids pick places where they think they can play earlier more often than you are stating.

Good information. To me, this information lends some credence to the fact that these star ratings are a bit over-blown. Perhaps it's more about player development then what some guys at a recruiting service or website think of the tape they saw.

I realize this is a message board so speculating on things is natural. But, we do we keep trying to decide what one 18 year old kid is thinking about the results of one game? If a good recruit is actually serious about attending Minnesota, the results of one game would seem unlikely to sway him. Though, we have no idea if he's serious or if it would.

I'd rather just wait until he makes his decision and see what he says are the reasons for it.

I am going to start this out by saying I am a die hard Gopher fan and not a troll. I grew up in Chaska and know Ragnow's Dad quite well. His Dad told me when I was back from AZ this summer that the Gopher's had no chance, then my brother saw him around Thanksgiving and he told him he was not going to the Gopher's, then my brother saw his Dad again last week and he said there is no chance he is going to sign with the Gopher's. I know he has acted like he is interested but my brother's take is that he is a very nice kid and doesn't want to tell Kill no at this point. My brother said he was very non committal on where he is going but sounded like FSU and Arkansas where the two favorites. Believe me I would love it if another kid from my home town (I know he goes to Chan) became a Gopher but I do not think his Dad would be saying this if it was not true.

I am going to start this out by saying I am a die hard Gopher fan and not a troll. I grew up in Chaska and know Ragnow's Dad quite well. His Dad told me when I was back from AZ this summer that the Gopher's had no chance, then my brother saw him around Thanksgiving and he told him he was not going to the Gopher's, then my brother saw his Dad again last week and he said there is no chance he is going to sign with the Gopher's. I know he has acted like he is interested but my brother's take is that he is a very nice kid and doesn't want to tell Kill no at this point. My brother said he was very non committal on where he is going but sounded like FSU and Arkansas where the two favorites. Believe me I would love it if another kid from my home town (I know he goes to Chan) became a Gopher but I do not think his Dad would be saying this if it was not true.
Ron-Burgundy-Saying-I-Dont-Believe-You.gif

I don't think you know when to use an apostrophe.

Good information. To me, this information lends some credence to the fact that these star ratings are a bit over-blown. Perhaps it's more about player development then what some guys at a recruiting service or website think of the tape they saw.

Perhaps it's wise to not consider recruiting rankings infallible, as no credible person has ever claimed they are. Go ahead and ignore massive amounts of correlative data - that's your prerogative.

Yeah, well... My neighbor's maid's daughter is Ragnow's girlfriend, and she says that he is going to be a Gopher. (I tried) :)

Incredible! I noticed that you also have connections with Derek Engel's family from an earlier post. Perhaps when Sid finally decides to put away his Smith-Corona or, God forbid, finally takes a dirt nap, you would be the logical heir apparent for his gig at the Strib.

Ragnow and Jones seem to be looking to leave. They have about a month to get things hammered out. I hope the choose to be Golden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member when Rashad Vaughn said the gopher would be in it until the end? Well how did that work out. All I'm saying is that nothing is set in stone yet.

Top Bottom