Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Howell was supposed to announce his decision on Wednesday but he has now pushed it back.

Dang. I'd love to get a couple receivers. I like Canty's size, but I can see why he doesn't have as many offers as others - not exactly a burner. I know nothing about either Louis or Thomas other than Louis had some offers, and Thomas is a JUCO, but both have good size, and I was hoping for some wheels (oh, and legit interest in coming here).

I do like Drewski and Jones a lot, and maybe Carter will be a contributer(?). We need a dynamo.

There might be something going on with WR recruiting right now. Word over at GI is that we cooled on Louis (not to sound like Sconnie) and now Thomas rescheduled his visit until January after talking with coach Anderson.

Ryan Burns ‏@RyanBurnsGI 1m Just got confirmation that #Gopher RB commit Jeff Jones (@WaveyJJ_10) will be taking an unofficial visit to #Minnesota this weekend.

Huge recruiting weekend. Both Ragnow and Jones will be in attendance, not to mention the 9 (?) official visitors.

And all of those other teams just decided to not offer after the Gophers did? Sorry, not buying it. Again - I have no problem with offering Lingen as a player. I have a problem with their recruiting strategy in this instance and them offering him when they did. I had the same problem, in reverse, when they waited so long to offer Rucker, who then took his first big offer from Iowa. Their timing of offers to in-state prospects needs refinement.

So what is your take? Should the staff offer kids that they think will help them regardless of their offer sheet (Lingen) or should they wait and be patient and risk not being the first big offer (Rucker)?

Nothing about Lingen's recruitment needed refinement, in fact it was executed brilliantly. The kid was injured his junior year and didn't play, therefore he had little recruiting interest. He camped with the Gophers, they liked him a lot, and figured that they could wait to offer until they saw film from him in the fall. They were able to hold off because he only had two offers: FAU and Air Force. Given that he had these offers, we were never going to get him as a PWO.

For a team that consistently uses 2 and 3 TE sets, we need as many TEs as WRs. We now have 2. Plus, Lingen gives us the ability to potentially move Elmore to DE if that's where he is best. Outstanding moves all around by the staff.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Lingen end up an OL.

A 6'5" 245 lbs 16-17 yr old can pretty easily become a 6'6" 285 - 290 lbs 21 yr old.

So what is your take? Should the staff offer kids that they think will help them regardless of their offer sheet (Lingen) or should they wait and be patient and risk not being the first big offer (Rucker)?

They've been doing this for a long time - they know the type of offers a player is going to get. As I said at the time, it was obvious quickly that Rucker was a multiple-high-major offer player, and the Gophers need to be first in line for in-state players of that caliber. I've never once said that Lingen doesn't deserve a Gopher offer, and that he can't or won't be a quality player for us, but you can wait on a guy like that because people aren't going to be lining up for his services. You never know if a better player might've been interested and now won't give you a look because you have another player locked up. If they think Lingen is the best they could possibly do at his position, then fine, but we'll never know now.

They've been doing this for a long time - they know the type of offers a player is going to get. As I said at the time, it was obvious quickly that Rucker was a multiple-high-major offer player, and the Gophers need to be first in line for in-state players of that caliber. I've never once said that Lingen doesn't deserve a Gopher offer, and that he can't or won't be a quality player for us, but you can wait on a guy like that because people aren't going to be lining up for his services. You never know if a better player might've been interested and now won't give you a look because you have another player locked up. If they think Lingen is the best they could possibly do at his position, then fine, but we'll never know now.

Rutgers was supposedly going to offer Lingen the weekend after we did. There was another HM that I can't remember (maybe Pitt?) that was planning to offer or looking very seriously at Lingen too.

Any sightings of the recruit(s) in town? Let me guess, they are having dinner at Fogo De Chao! :pig::drink:

I'm going to go out on a limb: We beat Wisconsin, and Ragnow and Jones will both end up being gophers. After seeing something like that, you'd think they would be all in.

Top Bottom