Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Question Gopher Recruiting

In years past, the Gophers have recruited out of need. They had no depth. Classes had relatively few red-shirts. Last years recruiting class seemed to have two huge needs: linebackers and receivers. They definitely hit on them just as they hit on them, just as they hit on defensive backs.

My observation this recruiting season is that they can go after "wants" more than "needs". If they had no recruiting class and had to play with the players they have, the only area I would have any concern would maybe be linebacker since it seems to be the only place they would be needing to rely on red-shirts coming through.

So, does this really change how they recruit this year? Are they able to gamble more on which guys they hold out for?

Any ideas?

Here is Mounds Views 2013 highlights I'm only on post #3 now but that sure looks like Wing-T

Not saying nobody runs it. I said I haven't seen much. I see South Suburban stuff and some state games. That's probably why I haven't seen it. I think TG was running it the last time I saw them...probably 3-4 years ago.

I was chuckling at your complicated comment; it was written like Wing-T is the most popular offense in the state.

I was chuckling at your complicated comment; it was written like Wing-T is the most popular offense in the state.

The point I failed to illustrate was Roseville was pass heavy, every team knew it, and very few slowed it down. This season Perra completed 60% of his passes for 3100+ yards 35 tds & 5 interceptions.

If Jerry Kill lets J. Perra get away from Minnesota it will be a travesty. Hudl Highlights His father is the best back surgeon in the state of MN. The kid has a 3.8 gpa and ran the most advanced/complicated offense I've seen in the state of Minnesota in a long time. We aren't talking wing T here folks. Imagine him on a heavy run team waiting to throw the dagger off play action.Gophers need to extend an actual scholarship ASAP.

Don't get wadded up MN4Life, I think Perra has a legitimate chance to get a scholarship offer from the Gophers staff, at least I think they would consider a Grayshirt offer for January since the PWO is likely not going to fly. With 14 scholarships this year the coaching staff has to be pretty picky on who they give the full rides to this year. Perra is easily the best QB prospect in Minnesota this year,
Wilkie is a good QB too, but I guess I would want the guy that has a little better wheels and stronger arm in this case.
There is a chance that Perra get's an offer.

Does he even have another offer from anyone else? Rivals and 247 aren't showing any.

Not saying nobody runs it. I said I haven't seen much. I see South Suburban stuff and some state games. That's probably why I haven't seen it. I think TG was running it the last time I saw them...probably 3-4 years ago.

Shakopee and Elk River are the two big schools that run it. Owatonna ran it but got away from it as they built their strong program. The MN teams that are good more often then not are run heavy. They can win this way and don't have to develop a pass game.

Look at the B1G conference. Teams still want to run more and the successful teams can run at will, but can also pass better.

NFL is more a passing gave because it is the best of the best.

Running is the foundation and if you can't do it, you likely will not be very successful.

Does he even have another offer from anyone else? Rivals and 247 aren't showing any.

According to the webcast last night, it is his only offer. I'm sure things will pick up for him over the next two months.

Shakopee and Elk River are the two big schools that run it. Owatonna ran it but got away from it as they built their strong program. The MN teams that are good more often then not are run heavy. They can win this way and don't have to develop a pass game.

Look at the B1G conference. Teams still want to run more and the successful teams can run at will, but can also pass better.

Running is the foundation and if you can't do it, you likely will not be very successful.

I haven't seen EP this year, so i don't know if they're still wing-t heavy, but for my money nobody does the classic wing-t better than Prior Lake. I really like what they do with their offense. They make you defend the whole field.

I was really impressed with Perra as a passer last night. To me he looked like the real deal. He has decent size, too. However, even though he gained good yardage on some running plays last night, i was not impresed with him as a runner. He didn't seem super athletic. Maybe i'm wrong having seen only 1 game, but does he run well enough for Limegrover's offense? Does he need to?

Assuming we are taking a QB in this class, I feel he's a no-brainer offer. He threw for over 3000 yards and 35 touchdowns, and led a historically mediocre Roseville team to the brink of a State Championship game. He's big (6'3", 200 lbs), he's fairly fast, he's strong, and if the Metro Player of the Year article is any indication, he's a very hard worker. Not only that, he's an intelligent kid, and he WANTS to go to the U of M. And although his speed isn't Philip Nelsons, his arm is better than Phil's was coming out of high school, so I feel like that's a wash.

Roseville is the 6th best football program in their own conference (CDH, Stillwater, Moundsview, East Ridge, White Bear Lake). For them to make the state semi's is ridiculous. I wonder if he'd already have a scholly offer if he went to a more historically dominant high school.

I wonder if he'd already have a scholly offer if he went to a more historically dominant high school.

Don't wonder about it... Mediocre at best Ricardo Johnson III (QB) from CDH has a free ride to Hawaii and only started his senior year.

does he run well enough for Limegrover's offense? Does he need to?

He runs well enough to keep defenses honest and his accuracy in the pass game probably would allow Limegrover to take advantage of some different things.

Agree...love a ground control game! I never mentioned anything about running the football; only that the wing-t has become a small part of MN HS football. Furthermore, you can run the ball effectively without running a wing-t.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack!!!! Done.

If Jerry Kill lets J. Perra get away from Minnesota it will be a travesty. Hudl Highlights His father is the best back surgeon in the state of MN. The kid has a 3.8 gpa and ran the most advanced/complicated offense I've seen in the state of Minnesota in a long time. We aren't talking wing T here folks. Imagine him on a heavy run team waiting to throw the dagger off play action.Gophers need to extend an actual scholarship ASAP.

I am allergic to hyperbole so I stopped reading after the first sentence.

Pretty hard to question our staff on their recruiting decisions. My bias is to offer the hometown kid and keep him in the fold but our guys know what they are doing. If it were Brew mess it up, but not these guys.

Pretty hard to question our staff on their recruiting decisions.

Thats fair, so I searched and watched the film, hudl, on the QB, D. McKinzy (KS), that committed in the spring. Then I looked at the schedule, 4-5 on the season. The film showed pretty poor coverage and competition, the schedule reflected that. As far as McKinzy I was more impressed with his hit stick on D then I was his TD's on 4 verts out of the 3x1 set.

My bias is to offer the hometown kid and keep him in the fold

Obviously, this is my bias as well.

Tyrone Carter tweeted congrats to Davis Anderson for becoming the newest Gopher, guessing as a walkon?

Which Gopher fan poisoned Frank's food? Sounds like his FSU visit has been put on hold.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Instead of getting ready to head to the airport for Tallahassee I'm at home throwing up &#55357;&#56852;</p>— Frank Ragnow (@KNARFWONGAR) <a href="https://twitter.com/KNARFWONGAR/statuses/401391076532965377">November 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Which Gopher fan poisoned Frank's food? Sounds like his FSU visit has been put on hold.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Instead of getting ready to head to the airport for Tallahassee I'm at home throwing up ��</p>— Frank Ragnow (@KNARFWONGAR) <a href="https://twitter.com/KNARFWONGAR/statuses/401391076532965377">November 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
He must have read about Jameis Winston's troubles.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Instead of getting ready to head to the airport for Tallahassee I'm at home throwing up ?</p>— Frank Ragnow (@KNARFWONGAR) <a href="https://twitter.com/KNARFWONGAR/statuses/401391076532965377">November 15, 2013</a></blockquote>

Brewster made his chili too hot.

Minnesota's recruiting is not going to get better by competing against ourselves for recruits. I still don't like the Lingen offer, but at least he has offers from FAU and Air Force. Perra doesn't have any offers. If he's good enough for a Gopher offer, he'll get some lesser offers before signing day and maybe we can throw one his way if we have an open spot. If those don't come, and he doesn't want to pay to go to school here, he can pay to go to school somewhere else. If his dad is the "#1 back surgeon in the state of Minnesota":rolleyes: he can afford to pay for his son to attend the U.

best part of those highlights is at 2:38 when the ref falls over

Minnesota's recruiting is not going to get better by competing against ourselves for recruits. I still don't like the Lingen offer, but at least he has offers from FAU and Air Force. Perra doesn't have any offers. If he's good enough for a Gopher offer, he'll get some lesser offers before signing day and maybe we can throw one his way if we have an open spot. If those don't come, and he doesn't want to pay to go to school here, he can pay to go to school somewhere else. If his dad is the "#1 back surgeon in the state of Minnesota":rolleyes: he can afford to pay for his son to attend the U.

Thought the exact same thing when I saw his dad was a back surgeon. Why can't they pay his way.

I was unaware there was a legitimate rating system for physicians in Minnesota.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Instead of getting ready to head to the airport for Tallahassee I'm at home throwing up ?</p>— Frank Ragnow (@KNARFWONGAR) <a href="https://twitter.com/KNARFWONGAR/statuses/401391076532965377">November 15, 2013</a></blockquote>

This just reeks of John Wooden and the infamous '48 snowstorm. I bet Ragnow commits to the Gophers tomorrow.

I was unaware there was a legitimate rating system for physicians in Minnesota.

There is but it is all based on hand timed results so we think it has little value.

Top Bottom