Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

It must suck for a player like Jevonte Herrod who seems like a gopher lean but the Gophers would have Jones, Howell already and I think they want Deron Thompson so Herrod who has an offer from Minnesota but would have to commit to a team like App. State/Utah State to get playing time.

How is this even a competition.....

I'm expecting Howell to commit somewhere else and Herrod to commit to the U right after his visit. I think they both want to come here, but the staff prefers Herrod.

The point I failed to illustrate was Roseville was pass heavy, every team knew it, and very few slowed it down. This season Perra completed 60% of his passes for 3100+ yards 35 tds & 5 interceptions.
I think #7 had a little something to do with his success. He and Perra have the corner jumper down pat. Very hard to defend this play.

Minnesota's recruiting is not going to get better by competing against ourselves for recruits. I still don't like the Lingen offer, but at least he has offers from FAU and Air Force. Perra doesn't have any offers. If he's good enough for a Gopher offer, he'll get some lesser offers before signing day and maybe we can throw one his way if we have an open spot. If those don't come, and he doesn't want to pay to go to school here, he can pay to go to school somewhere else. If his dad is the "#1 back surgeon in the state of Minnesota":rolleyes: he can afford to pay for his son to attend the U.

You mean the same Brandon Lingen that Scout just rated higher than Elmore?

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=4&pid=19&yr=2014

- Minnesota commit Brandon Lingen is a kid we believe the Gophers stole. He's an extremely tenacious blocker with good feet and explosiveness in that department. The Gophers do use the tight end quite a bit, so do not sleep on Mr. Lingen.
http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1341425.html

I think #7 had a little something to do with his success. He and Perra have the corner jumper down pat. Very hard to defend this play.

I agree. Some of Perra's deep passes would have been INTs for the most average college DB. In high school you get away with that when you receiver can sky over a corner on an under-thrown ball.

Canyons know anything about the Chaska OL? Some big boys and least two Juniors ans a Sophomore playing.

247 says we have 10 officials going to the Wisky game. But Coach Kill said we have 11. Anyone know who the 11th recruit is?

I'm expecting Howell to commit somewhere else and Herrod to commit to the U right after his visit. I think they both want to come here, but the staff prefers Herrod.
They've been on Howell for a long time, so if they are on the fence about having a spot for him they have a funny way of showing it.

It could be an issue of them telling him he'll play defense, however, whereas he may prefer to play runningback, even if it's at a smaller program.

Do you have inside knowledge on that or are you talking out of your ass?

Do you have inside knowledge on that or are you talking out of your ass?

Just a hunch. They've been showing Herrod a lot of love lately, whereas Howell visited a while ago and we've been his best offer for a while but he still hasn't committed. They're similar backs, but in my opinion Herrod's tape is more impressive. I don't think they'd take both, so considering Herrod is the hotter name right now I just think it makes sense. We'll see.

Yes. Scout sucks.

The thing on Lingen is that he was injured pretty much all of his junior year. That likely put a dent in his recruiting status and downgraded his ranking coming into his senior year. He may have been in line for a lot of other offers had he not committed to us when he did.

247sports now has 2 contributors saying Ragnow to Minnesota. Perhaps Frank enjoyed his visit for the Penn St game will be at TCF on Saturday. Hopefully he is superstitious and took his vomiting before boarding the plane to Florida St as a bad omen.

247 says we have 10 officials going to the Wisky game. But Coach Kill said we have 11. Anyone know who the 11th recruit is?

Craig James will no longer be visiting this weekend because he has a playoff game, however, James Folston has upgraded his unofficial to an official.

He may have been in line for a lot of other offers had he not committed to us when he did.

And all of those other teams just decided to not offer after the Gophers did? Sorry, not buying it. Again - I have no problem with offering Lingen as a player. I have a problem with their recruiting strategy in this instance and them offering him when they did. I had the same problem, in reverse, when they waited so long to offer Rucker, who then took his first big offer from Iowa. Their timing of offers to in-state prospects needs refinement.

And all of those other teams just decided to not offer after the Gophers did? Sorry, not buying it. Again - I have no problem with offering Lingen as a player. I have a problem with their recruiting strategy in this instance and them offering him when they did. I had the same problem, in reverse, when they waited so long to offer Rucker, who then took his first big offer from Iowa. Their timing of offers to in-state prospects needs refinement.

As you said in response to a poster on another thread, "unknowable and unprovable." Who knows what others may or may not have done. Lingen gave his verbal at the beginning of October. Minnesota is lightly recruited and who knows how much film Lingen sent out. Gophers were probably the one of the only FBS teams to see him live and as such, I don't have a problem with the offer.

In regards to Ragnow's missed official visit to FSU, how does that work? Assuming the school pays for the flight and hotel arrangements, that stuff does not just get refunded. Does that still count as his official even though he didnt go?

In regards to Ragnow's missed official visit to FSU, how does that work? Assuming the school pays for the flight and hotel arrangements, that stuff does not just get refunded. Does that still count as his official even though he didnt go?

I'd guess the school's buy refundable tickets and hotels are generally pretty lenient with regards to cancellations. Because this happens all the time my guess is that they've got it figured out and it does not counta s his official visit.

Nothing about Lingen's recruitment needed refinement, in fact it was executed brilliantly. The kid was injured his junior year and didn't play, therefore he had little recruiting interest. He camped with the Gophers, they liked him a lot, and figured that they could wait to offer until they saw film from him in the fall. They were able to hold off because he only had two offers: FAU and Air Force. Given that he had these offers, we were never going to get him as a PWO.

For a team that consistently uses 2 and 3 TE sets, we need as many TEs as WRs. We now have 2. Plus, Lingen gives us the ability to potentially move Elmore to DE if that's where he is best. Outstanding moves all around by the staff.

Brewster got some rewards points, so it's all good.

According to Steve Wiltfong (247) Ragnow might be taking another unofficial this weekend for the Wisconsin game. I think our recent success has really caught his eye and we've got a good shot at him.

Perhaps Ragnow has decide to commit to the Gophers and the flu was just a face-saving way to get out of a planned official??? And now he's coming to the Wisky game….and 247 folks are starting to pick him at Minnesota….hmmm…maybe we get another great verbal this weekend.

Top Bottom