Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

As a big proponent of us getting as many good "in-state" players as we can, I hate bringing this up, but - is it just me or do a disproportionate amount of highly rated MN football players end up doing absolutely nothing in college?

I'm just thinking of recruits off the top of my head, but remembering Andre McDonald, Lamonte Edwards, Jimmy Gjere, Willie Mobley, Seantrel Henderson, Moses Alipate, Matt Garin, Sam Maresh, and even Walker Lee Ashley the past several years makes me wonder how obsessive we should be over the top players.
I'm wondering if Jason Whitlock's Brady-Hoke/Michigan argument, RE: highly touted players are softer, egotistical, and prima donnas - has anything to do with this? Someone like that wouldn't be as good at taking criticism, would be easily frustrated if they were benched or passed on the depth chart, and might not buy into the team-first philosophy. Now I'm not saying we shouldn't go after highly touted players, and certainly there are a few of those players I mentioned who probably had a good attitude and just got injured (Gjere, Garin for instance), but my point is that for all the hoopla some of these guys put on with their recruiting process, maybe we're better off not wasting a roster spot with them?

I only bring this up because I feel this team is doing particularly well with lesser-touted players - Cockran, Wells, Travis, Murray, Cedric Thompson, Alex Keith, Isaac Fruechte, Derek Engel, Mitch Leidner, and even Jalen Myrick. Or perhaps the reason Kill's teams overachieves vs. his recruiting rankings is because he gets high character guys who buy-in and work hard. Anyways, I hope we get Ragnow and Jones as much as everyone else, but just because they're a high-rated player doesn't mean they will automatically be successful.

Mitch Leidner and Phillip Nelson were both early commits that bought in to the coaching staffs that were recruiting them, hence not the large amount of offers or other programs recruiting them, as likely would have been the case. I hope Leidner sticks with Minnesota, the kid can play and if he and guys like Strevlar bide there time and stay with the system they have a chance to develop in to players that could possibly have a chance to play on Sundays. The quarterback coach at Minnesota is far better than anything we have had in a long time. Changing systems and coaches so much really hurt Weber as a player, and even Gray, I hope that doesn't happen to any of our current quarterbacks.

would love to see mitch learn and take over for hsi senior year followed by streveler

Mitch Leidner and Phillip Nelson were both early commits that bought in to the coaching staffs that were recruiting them, hence not the large amount of offers or other programs recruiting them, as likely would have been the case. I hope Leidner sticks with Minnesota, the kid can play and if he and guys like Strevlar bide there time and stay with the system they have a chance to develop in to players that could possibly have a chance to play on Sundays. The quarterback coach at Minnesota is far better than anything we have had in a long time. Changing systems and coaches so much really hurt Weber as a player, and even Gray, I hope that doesn't happen to any of our current quarterbacks.

i can't see leidner leaving unless streveler takes the lead over him. I think he realizes that given the system, the backup QB sees a lot of snaps and can become the starter on any given play. would really like to give streveler time to learn so he isn't thrown to the wolves like nelson and leidner each were

My sense of Eden Prairie is that they are the ultimate "system" team. Other teams may have more "star" power, but EP has a system that works, and they run it until it becomes part of the players DNA. What is that system - find the strongest kids you can, and beat the bleep out of the other team. It's not flashy, but it's effective. Other teams may have better skill players, but EP wins by sheer physical dominance. Bottom line - Mike Grant is trying to win MN HS championships - not develop players for college.

Yep, it's just a matter of depth.

I played at CDH. We were kind of the opposite of Eden Prairie. Our top 3-4 players are better than what the EP's. However their 5-22 were much better than ours. I won a state championship at Cretin and it's because we had great underclassmen (to fill out the depth), but typically, CDH only has 4-5 players who would start on Eden Prairie

When is signing day this year?

It is February 5th. I believe that is a Tuesday. If it is Tuesday then it is always the first Tuesday in February. Likewise if that day is a Wednesday, then it is always the first Wednesday in February.

It is February 5th. I believe that is a Tuesday. If it is Tuesday then it is always the first Tuesday in February. Likewise if that day is a Wednesday, then it is always the first Wednesday in February.

February 5, 2014 is a Wednesday. It is almost always the first Wednesday in February.

One reason this bye is coming at a good time is the staff can go out and recruit having won 4 straight with plenty of positive things to sell to players.

One reason this bye is coming at a good time is the staff can go out and recruit having won 4 straight with plenty of positive things to sell to players.

Great bye week to set up shop at the Dome for the State Semi-Finals, Thursday-Saturday. Having a presence may help with the walk-on program.

There is a lineman on the gophers from Rosemount.

There's a difference between the words "many" and "any". You may have gotten the words switched around and thought he said any. :D
Many implied he knows a few who play in the FBS, but only a few.

Great bye week to set up shop at the Dome for the State Semi-Finals, Thursday-Saturday. Having a presence may help with the walk-on program.

i would guess this will not be kill and co's main focus. i'm guessing they'll be all over the country selling the rise of this program to anyone and everyone they can. the kids here see it on saturday's. they see the walk ons contributing. no doubt kill has made this clear to them already

You can be sure someone will be there evaluating, even if they know who they want this year, they'll be looking hard for future prospects.

You can be sure someone will be there evaluating, even if they know who they want this year, they'll be looking hard for future prospects.

Correct. You want winners on the roster.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Safe travels to all of our coaches out on the road recruiting this week! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— GopherGridiron (@GopherGridiron) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherGridiron/statuses/400271683962929152">November 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/KNARFWONGAR">@KNARFWONGAR</a> have fun but remember where you came from! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SkiUMah&src=hash">#SkiUMah</a></p>— David Michael (@Mn_Sports8) <a href="https://twitter.com/Mn_Sports8/statuses/400274063244816384">November 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/KNARFWONGAR">@KNARFWONGAR</a> have fun but remember where you came from! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SkiUMah&src=hash">#SkiUMah</a></p>— David Michael (@Mn_Sports8) <a href="https://twitter.com/Mn_Sports8/statuses/400274063244816384">November 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Here's hoping that Brewster's chili is cold this coming weekend.

Any word out there on preferred walk-ons for next year? Do any of the QB's have the potential for position changes to become Gophers?

QB
Jacques Perra-Roseville, 6'3" 210
QB
Keaton Studsrud
Benilde St. Margaret's 6'1" 180
QB
Ricardo Johnson III
Cretin-Derham Hall 5'11" 168
QB
Thomas O'Neil
Waseca 6'1" 190
QB
Nick Rooney
Minnetonka 6'2" 200
QB
Connor Wilkie
Andover 6'5" 202

Any word out there on preferred walk-ons for next year? Do any of the QB's have the potential for position changes to become Gophers?

QB
QB
Keaton Studsrud
QB
Ricardo Johnson III
QB
Thomas O'Neil
Waseca 6'1" 190
QB
Nick Rooney
Minnetonka 6'2" 200
QB
Connor Wilkie
Andover 6'5" 202

I really wonder if they don't try to find a spot for Perra, maybe a grayshirt if not a full offer. He's had a seriously impressive senior year. I saw him at the game Sat with the receiver he throws to, both looked like they belong physically. The numbers have been impressive, and Roseville is on a playoff run like they've rarely(ever?) had.

QB
QB
Keaton Studsrud
QB
Ricardo Johnson III
QB
Thomas O'Neil
Waseca 6'1" 190

QB
Nick Rooney
Minnetonka 6'2" 200
QB
Connor Wilkie
Andover 6'5" 202

That would be so cool if a kid from my lil' old high school became a Gopher! Plus we could have our own Tommy Football! (Yes, that is what the locals actually call him)

QB
QB
Keaton Studsrud
QB
Ricardo Johnson III
QB
Thomas O'Neil
Waseca 6'1" 190
QB
Nick Rooney
Minnetonka 6'2" 200
QB
Connor Wilkie
Andover 6'5" 202

Perra has a PWO offer from the U and Ohio State, but after reading Monter's article, he really sounds like a Gopher lean. We should really just offer them all a PWO spot. I've seen several of them play; they'd all be exceptional PWOs.

It's a toss up

QB
QB
Keaton Studsrud
QB
Ricardo Johnson III
QB
Thomas O'Neil
Waseca 6'1" 190
QB
Nick Rooney
Minnetonka 6'2" 200
QB
Connor Wilkie
Andover 6'5" 202

I want either Perra or Wilkie. Both would fit nicely into our scheme and put up big pass numbers. Perra is playing right now against Rosemount at the dome, probably have staff there watching I'm sure. Wilkie's team lost in a close one last week. He tweeted his highlights from this year today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h99hOS-x6Wc

wilkie kind of has taylor martinez arm punt action going on...

If Jerry Kill lets J. Perra get away from Minnesota it will be a travesty. Hudl Highlights His father is the best back surgeon in the state of MN. The kid has a 3.8 gpa and ran the most advanced/complicated offense I've seen in the state of Minnesota in a long time. We aren't talking wing T here folks. Imagine him on a heavy run team waiting to throw the dagger off play action.Gophers need to extend an actual scholarship ASAP.

If Jerry Kill lets J. Perra get away from Minnesota it will be a travesty. Hudl Highlights His father is the best back surgeon in the state of MN. The kid has a 3.8 gpa and ran the most advanced/complicated offense I've seen in the state of Minnesota in a long time. We aren't talking wing T here folks. Imagine him on a heavy run team waiting to throw the dagger off play action.Gophers need to extend an actual scholarship ASAP.

Thank you Dr. Perra. (post #1) I don't know what hs football you've been watching, but I haven't seen much Wing-T, other than EP since the early to mid-2000's.

Thank you Dr. Perra. (post #1) I don't know what hs football you've been watching, but I haven't seen any Wing-T, other than EP since the early to mid-2000's.

Adam Webber did pretty well with the Wing-T at Mounds View, Odd Stack (post #344).

Like I said....mid-2000's. His senior fall was '05

Moundsview still runs Wing T.
Perra is legit, here's to hoping Kill can get him on board some way somehow that keeps a talented MN QB home.

Top Bottom