Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Tweet from Jashon Cornell:

@jay_rock16: Just received my 13th offer from the University of Vanderbilt #VandyCommodores

Go Gophers!!

New Q&A: Cretin's Blake Banham: It would be fun to have the “Banham Trio” at the U

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers right now?

Blake Banham: I am hearing a little bit. They, obviously again, want to see me at their camp and see if they can make an offer from there.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play for the Gophers? Obviously, your sister goes here and your brother started at Mankato before transferring to Minnesota. What would it mean to be at the same school as the two of them?

Blake Banham: It would be fun to play with my brother and sister. It would be fun to have the “Banham Trio” there. It would mean a lot to play with my brother and also my sister here as well.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/251921?referrer_id=388419

The GI guys have said that both Stelter and Hassenauer have told them they have been close to committing for while. It will probably happen soon with both of them.

I have heard similar rumblings on Stelter. I don't follow recruits around, but I was talking Gopher football with someone who is the a friend of a friend of a friend of the Stelter family and he thought Stelter had pretty much decided.

@oakleaffootball: 2014 LB Darrion Owens got an offer from Minnesota today from Coach Anderson ! #gophers

Go Gophers!!

New GopherHole Q&A: Owatonna DE Andrew Stelter Says Gophers His Favorite, Would Like to Play in Front of Family

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about what schools that you definitely want to take official visits? Have you thought that far yet?

Andrew Stelter: I haven’t thought a whole lot about it, but the Gophers, for sure. I’d go to Iowa State. Those are the only ones that I know that I would go to for sure right now, based on the offers. We’ll see what happens.

Gopher Hole: It seems like from reading some stories and talking to you in the past, it seems like Minnesota seems to be the favorite. Is that right?

Andrew Stelter: Yes.

Gopher Hole: What makes them the favorite in your eyes?

Andrew Stelter: I just know the program the best and the coaching staff. Where they are going in the future, I think the future looks bright there and I think that it would be fun to be a part of turning that program around.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/252041?referrer_id=331171

@MattHomeTeam: On the site: #Minnesota #Gophers are latest offer for NCT DE Rohan Blackwood (2014).

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Reid Travis, the outstanding DeLaSalle football and basketball player, is getting visits from coaches in both sports, according to GopherHole.com. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska and Michigan State have had basketball representatives talk to Travis. And in football, Pittsburgh is recruiting him as well as Ohio State and Vanderbilt.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/205898151.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Rohan Davey was a QB from LSU a few years ago. I think he either got drafted or signed as a free agent with the Patriots and was their 3rd QB for a while.

Slew of offers to Minnesota Preps this past week:

Owatonna jr. DE Andrew Stelter (6'4 245) picked up an offer from Duke and another Ivy league offer from Yale.

Lakeville North jr. DE/LB Greg Menard (6'2 215) picked up an FBS offer from Army and his third FCS offer from South Dakota.

Former Champlin Park/now NDSCS JC DL Bryson Johnson (6'4 290) picked up an FBS offer from South Alabama and is picking up BCS interest.

Cretin-Derham Hall so DE Jashon Cornell (6'4 225) has recently picked up BCS offers from Ohio State, Wisconsin, Missouri, Cal, and Vanderbilt.

Slew of offers to Minnesota Preps this past week:

Owatonna jr. DE Andrew Stelter (6'4 245) picked up an offer from Duke and another Ivy league offer from Yale.

Lakeville North jr. DE/LB Greg Menard (6'2 215) picked up an FBS offer from Army and his third FCS offer from South Dakota.

Former Champlin Park/now NDSCS JC DL Bryson Johnson (6'4 290) picked up an FBS offer from South Alabama and is picking up BCS interest.

Cretin-Derham Hall so DE Jashon Cornell (6'4 225) has recently picked up BCS offers from Ohio State, Wisconsin, Missouri, Cal, and Vanderbilt.

As a reminder, Vames' full Class of 2014 Minnesota HS Football Recruits list can be found here:

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/758743-class-of-2014-minnesota-hs-football-recruits

Vames keeps is updated regularly with the latest offers and notes of Minnesota's 2014 class.

Ames Tribune: Catching up with Reid Travis and Jarvis Johnson

Travis’ recruitment certainly isn’t of the standard variety as he’s also a highly-touted football prospect.

“(Football) factors in,” said Travis, a quarterback. “I’m trying to get to some camps. I think I’m going to the Nike Elite camp down in Chicago, trying to get on campus a few places.”

There’s even some chance he could try his hand at both sports in college.

“It would have to be the perfect situation,” said Travis. “It’s tough, especially once you get to that level.

“There’s a little percentage of me that it might happen, but, at the end of the day, it’s hard.”

http://amestrib.com/blog/hines-on-hoops/catching-reid-travis-and-jarvis-johnson.html

Go Gophers!!

@bigcountypreps1: #Minnesota offered Anthony Davis today. Chamberlain 2014 LB. #gophers ain't playin around in Tampa Bay

Go Gophers!!

@gopherhole: 2014 #Gophers WR recruit => RT @AllAroundStarr: Minnesota fans stand up #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

@gerrydinardo: 2014 B1G Recruiting Update #Gophers National Rankings Scout 39, Rivals 48, 24/7 Composite 48

Go Gophers!!

@jshankerespn: #Minnesota #Gophers are recruiting in the Pittsburgh area today.

Go Gophers!!

@gopherhole: Offensive guard from Alabama - #Gophers offered yesterday: RT @ColeHardin: Minnesota just offered!! #GoldenGophers #SkiUMah

Go Gophers!!

Vames (or anyone), who do you think will be the next in-state kid to get an offer? Four guys is abnormally low, especially coming off of last year where we also only offered four guys.

Preston Woods seems to be the front-runner, especially now that we seem to have our QB and Connor Wilkie is a less-likely option.

If I had to guess at candidates, I would think that Woods would be a candidate indeed. I would agree there probably isn't a QB in the group that Minnesota will offer, but it will be interesting to see how Wilkie, Johnson, and Perra perform this summer and next season. I know Johnson's performance on the field will be the best indicator of his potential. Other than Jones, Eji Ejodeyman from Spring Lake Park and Josh Parks from Chisago Lakes have D1 potential. WR is pretty thin, but TE Zach Hovey from EP and Behr from East Ridge seem to be picking up BCS interest. WR Scherff from Albert Lea has decent size. Banham is probably a walk-on candidate. At DL, I would think Triplett is also a good candidate at 6'4 285. Former Champlin Park/NDSCS DL Bryson Johnson (6'4 290) has good size and has picked up an FBS offer from South Alabama. At LB, Menard has picked up 4 FCS offers and FBS offer from Army. There are a couple of other good size linebackers in the group. Gordon is the only DB with an offer at the moment. I think this class has already passed last year's class as a number of players have multiple BCS offers (Jones, Ragnow, Stelter, Hassenauer, and Travis.....although Travis is probably a BB recruit). I know the HS Coaches Association is having their Recruiting Fair tonight. Not sure how many D1 schools will be attending, but it will be interesting to see if offers are extended.

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/758743-class-of-2014-minnesota-hs-football-recurits

Vames (or anyone), who do you think will be the next in-state kid to get an offer? Four guys is abnormally low, especially coming off of last year where we also only offered four guys.

Preston Woods seems to be the front-runner, especially now that we seem to have our QB and Connor Wilkie is a less-likely option.

Ejodamen Ejiya - incredibly productive as a sophomore and junior for Spring Lake Park. Has size to play multiple positions, too.

@gerrydinardo: 2014 B1G Recruiting #Gophers Commit Steven Richardson 5'11" 280 DT Scout has no rating or video. No other published B1G offers

Go Gophers!!

Here is a question that is kind of off topic, but vames mentioned NDSCS's DL Bryson Johnson earlier which got me thinking, why do we not sign more NDSCS athletes? The last few years I see that they have had some 1-A players come out and chosen other schools. Are there reasons for them going elsewhere? Is it a case of we tried but they wanted to get away from home, or does The U not think it would be that much of a benefit to build that relationship with the school and coaches? I don't know, just curious.

Jashon Cornell tweet: @jay_rock16: Just received my 16th offer from Indiana University #Hoosiers

Go Gophers!!

@EricSwinney: Minnesota just offered...

Go Gophers!!

Here is a question that is kind of off topic, but vames mentioned NDSCS's DL Bryson Johnson earlier which got me thinking, why do we not sign more NDSCS athletes? The last few years I see that they have had some 1-A players come out and chosen other schools. Are there reasons for them going elsewhere? Is it a case of we tried but they wanted to get away from home, or does The U not think it would be that much of a benefit to build that relationship with the school and coaches? I don't know, just curious.

Yeah, it's an interesting question. I'm not sure I have a solid answer for you, but you have to keep in mind the nature of JuCo athletics. They are often really difficult to gauge. Guys who don't belong can look dynamic in the right JuCo situations. So it largely can depend upon relationships.

Kill has relationships with a few of the Kansas JuCo coaches (which is also better JuCo competition), so when one of those coaches tells him to keep an eye on a certain kid and he might even say "so and so is a hard worker, etc.", Kill has relationships with those coaches that he trusts. You can get burned by JuCo players who have inflated rankings and coaches who inflate their value (see Pittman and Hayo). So, with Kill, I think it's largely because Kill knows the JuCo guys in Kansas, so when we look to add a JuCo, it's typically from there.

Yeah, it's an interesting question. I'm not sure I have a solid answer for you, but you have to keep in mind the nature of JuCo athletics. They are often really difficult to gauge. Guys who don't belong can look dynamic in the right JuCo situations. So it largely can depend upon relationships.

Kill has relationships with a few of the Kansas JuCo coaches (which is also better JuCo competition), so when one of those coaches tells him to keep an eye on a certain kid and he might even say "so and so is a hard worker, etc.", Kill has relationships with those coaches that he trusts. You can get burned by JuCo players who have inflated rankings and coaches who inflate their value (see Pittman and Hayo). So, with Kill, I think it's largely because Kill knows the JuCo guys in Kansas, so when we look to add a JuCo, it's typically from there.

Two JC players out of NDSCS that warranted consideration were Derek Earls (6'3 220) from Waconia, who signed on with Arizona and started for two years. The other was Jacob Fahrenkrug (6'3 320) from Robbinsdale who signed with Florida State. Started 12 games in 2011, but think he was injured in 2012.

I think one JC that Kill should be watching is Iowa Western that sent 12 players to BCS schools last year.

John Rabe was from Iowa Western I believe, but yes I agree. Indiana has been one program recently that has really hit up Iowa Western hard.

John Rabe was from Iowa Western I believe, but yes I agree. Indiana has been one program recently that has really hit up Iowa Western hard.

Pretty sure he was from Ellsworth Community College in Iowa Falls.

Top Bottom