Official 2011 Gopher Fall Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

From what I saw, Beal had a solid scrimmage. He stuffed the run on a couple of goal line plays. So he's the starting middle LB for the 2nd team, right? Is the plan to rotate him in with the 1st team throughout games?

As a previous post mentioned, Shortell had a shaky start but he bounced back with some nice throws; wasn't impressive but he did play better throughout the practice.

Kicking game - both punting and FG - looks solid. How long was Hawthorne's FG? 45-yards? It would have easily cleared 50+ yards.

Heard Rallis might have had the flu. How did Beal look? M. Carter any better?

From what I saw, Beal had a solid scrimmage. He stuffed the run on a couple of goal line plays. So he's the starting middle LB for the 2nd team, right? Is the plan to rotate him in with the 1st team throughout games?
It sounds like they will be rotating in lots of people, keeping everyone fresh, Beal will see plenty of playing time starting or not.

Sounds like Gray did not do well, according to daily Gopher anyway...

Anyhoo, M. Carter was not in there, hmmm

Gray had a rough day passing, but if we didn't have touch sacks, he would have piled up a LOT of yards. He would have escaped at least three blitzes.

Hawthorne made the long FG and missed the short, but I was on the field and I think the refs blew the call on the shorter. It was 20 feet over the top of the uprights and looked pretty good. Wettstein may be the kick-off guy. Prediction: Orseske will be all-B1G. Coaching actually helps here.

I think the defense if far better than the offense is struggling--make sense?

I think our running game will be better than average.

Stoudermire on McKnight almost wasn't fair to get a true picture of Gray to McKnight. Keise, Moulton, and Crawford-Tufts (no redshirt here, guys) showed poise and hands. Our WR will be fine--can Gray get them the ball?

Linebackers will be the strength of the D, but our DB are far deeper than we give them credit.

I'm exhausted.

Looks like a different team

Both O and D looked like different teams than what we saw last year. For the most part the teams were crisp and executed well.

I was impressed with the defense - there appeared to be very few broken assignments. Receivers were covered, gaps were filled. They played fast. This is an aggressive, attacking defense which will make things happen this fall. It will be, at least, an average B10 defense which is a lot better than last year.

The O was didn't look quite as good. All of the Qbacks were inconsistent. Shortell and Parish are both better passers than Gray but I think at this point Gray is the best overall at the position. I thought he looked OK running the O and I did not see happy feet as some others did. All of the top three had some bad passed and all had some that were absolutely brilliant. If anyone of the three can become consistent we will have a killer O.

The run game looked pretty good. Edwards and Cobb made some nice runs today. If you look at the NIU highlights you will see this is a signiture of Limegrover. His O line gives the backs some nice holes.

One last note, Rashede Hageman played with the 1s, 2s, and 3s. The folks around me felt he was getting extra reps to hone him for the seasom. He had some nice plays and I would expect him to play a lot this fall.

IMO Gray threw the ball the worst of the 5 QBs that played. Looks like he's pushing the ball instead of throwing it. Quite a few of his passes were no where near anybody. Missed a couple of wide open targets. He did make some nice short throws over the middle. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Kill moves him to wide receiver this week.

Highlights to me were
1) Orseske's punting
2) The pressure put on the punters including a block and several near blocks
3) David Cobb
4) Lamonte Edwards ran hard - he seems to have a big upside
5) Malcolm Moulton made some nice catches in traffic and spin moves after the catch
6) Dexter Foreman - man he looked good to me
7) A really nice deep sideline pass by Shortell - think it was dropped, but a beautiful pass
8) That offensive line - they are a good looking group, in a couple of years they could be outstanding
9) Shady laid a lick on (I think it was) Bennett near the sidelines. The Cretin connection safeties are going to be fun to watch.
10) Ben Perry with a nice sack.
11) Kill's yelling - he had an absolute cow when Gjere had a false start.

Looked like Matilus hurt his knee pretty bad.

In defense of MarQueis, they've been practicing against the same defense all spring and fall now and they have been pretty much playing the base offense to this point, the defense pretty much knows what's coming. I'm also guessing things will open up a bit more for him when the games count and there are no quick whistles and touch tackles and team's will need to account for his running ability.

Is it expected that USC had scouts in attendance today? I assume that they can't actually send a coach, but I"m sure a staff member or someone close to Kiffin that he trusts would be in attendance?? If so, how much can they get out a day like today?

Go Gophers!!

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Kill moves him to wide receiver this week.

LMAO! You've got to be kidding right? Kill has said multiple times he will NOT do this. MG is a QB this year, period. You are basing this opinion off of a scrimmage ten practices into the season. With his athtletic ability all MG has to do is throw adequately to be a very productive college QB. I am not concerned as MG's running ability combined with Kill/Limegrover calling a game that plays to MG's strengths will result in a solid first season for him. Lets play 4 or 5 games before we start screaming about the sky is falling.

Is it expected that USC had scouts in attendance today? I assume that they can't actually send a coach, but I"m sure a staff member or someone close to Kiffin that he trusts would be in attendance?? If so, how much can they get out a day like today?

Go Gophers!!

Not a lot - they run basic stuff and just work on execution and reading the game at full speed. One of the reasons the defense is typically ahead of the offense in these things. I'm sure the wrinkles will start getting put in during the next two weeks when the team is a little further along and practices move behind closed doors.

I've gone to about 5 practices now. In every one, I've walked away wowed by David Cobb the freshman running back.

Rasheed Haggeman or whatever his name is has the body to be a force, he just has to put in the work to become a great DT.

Gray looks bad to me, in a lot of ways. I don't want to explain why because I'm not sure what our limits are for sharing our opinions. But lets just say he has a tendency to set up his receivers to get nailed by a safety or linebacker.

Kicking competion is good, but its obvious Chris hawthorne will be the guy. This kid is a pro level kicker. I've seen him drill a 56 yarder and a 48 yarder with EASE. Both looked like they could go much further. Just needs to work on kickoffs a little, but they always landed at around the 3 yardline, which is outstanding for a sophomore kicker.

A lot to like and a lot to worry about.

Yikes...not so encouraging news in this thread. If Gray is as far away as people say, we're in for a very long season.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Great, now we get to spend the next couple weeks having people worry that Gray isn't the second coming of Payton Manning!

It takes some game experience for the QB to get the timing and touch set up with the WR's. Most of the top athletic QBs have all gone through this, just look at Ohio State, Auburn, Michigan, etc... Kill has already said the lack of game experience will be a problem for Gray, but we do not have any experienced QBs. Kill is confident that Gray has the tools and his legs will make up for some of the bumps in the passing game. Remember a QB named Foggie?

Surely Gray will need more time to form a rapport with the receivers, but it's worrisome for our record this year if his throwing is so far away. I'll admit I haven't seen much of him this preseason, but reading comments here isn't encouraging. If we want to overachieve, Gray's arm will be a big big part of it. I hope that either the observations above are wrong or that the next several weeks bring that improvement you mention above (or a combination of both) because it will mean better things for our Gophers.

I find it amazing the number of people who are ready to jump off the Marquis Gray bandwagon already. We spent the last 2 years calling for Brew to put Gray in the game more. Now that MG is is the guy, everyone is freaking out because he isn't the next Fran Tarkenton. Good Grief.

The reality is that MG is the only QB on the roster that gives us a chance to win a few games. He is that talented and is a man among boys. When I watch, I see pass plays break down, then he takes off and make some nice moves to break free. He may struggle with accuracy, but we should be used to that after the past several years.

My biggest fear is that MG might get killed if he has to run that often. If MG gets hurt, we may be in big trouble, since we have 3 freshmen as backups. For all you Alipate lovers, get with the program and understand he will not play QB for Kill. He flat out is too big & slow and cannot move enough to run this offense. He is behind 3 freshman and took less than 5 snaps at Saturday's scrimmage. The other practice I watched, he never took a snap with the 1st, 2nd or 3rd string offense. That should tell you something. He ain't as good as the hype sold to us.

As for the other posters who are concerned about the lack of excitement over the first 10 practices, take a dose of reality. There is a reason that Kill allowed all the practices to be open to the public. It is because the work is pretty vanilla. Do you think he is going to offer any tendencies that anyone can watch or learn about? For example, NIU ran the ball about 60% of the time, yet it seemed the scrimmage yesterday was tilted 70% pass vs run. The coaches are looking at technique and effort to see who they will go with once the season actually starts. The real work begins on Monday during the closed sessions.

Though there is nothing to get overly excited about at this point, what I learned by watching practice & the final scrimmage is the following:
The coaching staff has worked extensively to improve the kicking/punting game. That was on full display as witnessed by Hawthorne's long FGs and some fantastic punts.
The team is much more organized/disciplined. There is no confusion about which players need to be on/off the field. The players get in/out of the huddle quickly, ready to run a play.
The coaches have found a way to bring freshman up to speed quickly. A lot of true freshman play quite a bit on the 2nd unit. Even the freshman QBs seem able to run the basic offense. Foreman had a really nice drive at the end of the scrimmage. This is really encouraging for future seasons.

I'm going to choose to remember the beautiful TD drive by Gray at O$U two years ago rather than get in a panic over his scrimmage results. It is a long season.

Methinks that the worries about QB are at best merginally relavent to what we begin to see in two weeks. Till now this has been orientation. The next two weeks the doors close, the shades get pulled down and prep for the real exams begins. The Defense will no longer be able to T off on a ten play offense.

Gray is not nearly as bad as some make it seem.

Shortelle is not nearly as good as some people make it seem.

IMO gray had a better day THROWING the football than max did. Max looks closer to 3 than 1 right now.

As for alipate, I've been telling you all for 3 years he doesn't have a chance. He was honestly the 4th best QB in the lake conference and 2nd best QB in Bloomington during his 3 years as a starter.

Aber > alipate Aber is at winona state if I am not mistaken.

Gray is not nearly as bad as some make it seem.

Shortelle is not nearly as good as some people make it seem.

IMO gray had a better day THROWING the football than max did. Max looks closer to 3 than 1 right now.

As for alipate, I've been telling you all for 3 years he doesn't have a chance. He was honestly the 4th best QB in the lake conference and 2nd best QB in Bloomington during his 3 years as a starter.

Aber > alipate Aber is at winona state if I am not mistaken.

He was. He is now playing baseball at a small school in Iowa i believe.

I haven't followed him much since he left, he was better at Kennedy than alipate was at jefferson.

Good Grief

I find it amazing the number of people who are ready to jump off the Marquis Gray bandwagon already. We spent the last 2 years calling for Brew to put Gray in the game more. Now that MG is is the guy, everyone is freaking out because he isn't the next Fran Tarkenton. Good Grief.

The reality is that MG is the only QB on the roster that gives us a chance to win a few games. He is that talented and is a man among boys. When I watch, I see pass plays break down, then he takes off and make some nice moves to break free. He may struggle with accuracy, but we should be used to that after the past several years.

My biggest fear is that MG might get killed if he has to run that often. If MG gets hurt, we may be in big trouble, since we have 3 freshmen as backups. For all you Alipate lovers, get with the program and understand he will not play QB for Kill. He flat out is too big & slow and cannot move enough to run this offense. He is behind 3 freshman and took less than 5 snaps at Saturday's scrimmage. The other practice I watched, he never took a snap with the 1st, 2nd or 3rd string offense. That should tell you something. He ain't as good as the hype sold to us.

As for the other posters who are concerned about the lack of excitement over the first 10 practices, take a dose of reality. There is a reason that Kill allowed all the practices to be open to the public. It is because the work is pretty vanilla. Do you think he is going to offer any tendencies that anyone can watch or learn about? For example, NIU ran the ball about 60% of the time, yet it seemed the scrimmage yesterday was tilted 70% pass vs run. The coaches are looking at technique and effort to see who they will go with once the season actually starts. The real work begins on Monday during the closed sessions.

Though there is nothing to get overly excited about at this point, what I learned by watching practice & the final scrimmage is the following:
The coaching staff has worked extensively to improve the kicking/punting game. That was on full display as witnessed by Hawthorne's long FGs and some fantastic punts.
The team is much more organized/disciplined. There is no confusion about which players need to be on/off the field. The players get in/out of the huddle quickly, ready to run a play.
The coaches have found a way to bring freshman up to speed quickly. A lot of true freshman play quite a bit on the 2nd unit. Even the freshman QBs seem able to run the basic offense. Foreman had a really nice drive at the end of the scrimmage. This is really encouraging for future seasons.

Thanks WHB Brewer for giving some perspective to the reality of what is taking place at fall camp. Contrary to some people's beliefs the sky is not falling. Kill Coach has stated that his goal is to get better every day and that is what he is focusing on and that is what is happening. It may not always appear to be the case but there is a great deal of learning taking place every day.

I too will summarize this by saying "Good Grief" people you need to get a handle on yourself.

Thanks WHB Brewer for giving some perspective to the reality of what is taking place at fall camp. Contrary to some people's beliefs the sky is not falling. Kill Coach has stated that his goal is to get better every day and that is what he is focusing on and that is what is happening. It may not always appear to be the case but there is a great deal of learning taking place every day.

I too will summarize this by saying "Good Grief" people you need to get a handle on yourself.

Amen! At the scrimmage yesterday, a couple people behind me were complaining about play selection when they were running the inside the 5 yard line drill and tried to pound it in 4 times. They wanted to see a play fake. I sat there thinking, "You will. And where you see it is called an actual game." The practices are all about teaching fundamentals. The scrimmage is about building on that teaching, applying it to game-like situations, and giving the coaches a chance to observe enough to finalize the depth chart.

I don't know if this has been posted.

My favorite part of the scrimmage-Coach Kill after a pass was dropped on third down "Get him the he-- off of the field" I believe he was talking about #81 Rabe?

I don't know if this has been posted.

My favorite part of the scrimmage-Coach Kill after a pass was dropped on third down "Get him the he-- off of the field" I believe he was talking about #81 Rabe?

If you heard that whole conversation he actually tore into one of his asst coaches for Having the kid on the field too many plays in a row. He said it was the coaches fault. I thought that was interesting.

Top Bottom