Official 2011 Gopher Fall Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

Pull him now. He sucks. Replace the best athlete with a Freshman.

Why don't we wait and see how he looks, oh, I don't know, 3 to 10 weeks from now???? :banghead:

Holy crap.

Hence the "midseason"

Our pets heads are falling off!!!!!!!!!!!

More Injuries

Foster Bush went in to Ferguson who seemed to be injured according to a tweet. Starting to see that 18 is a good number for OL scholarships on the roster. Depth or lack of is starting to show early if guys don't stay healthy.

Any Comments on the Big Ten Tour Show? Man, was it boring. Barely showed anything or talked about anything. Some real bland interviews. I guess it was more for the broadcasters to get to know the team a bit better.

Agree but will go with my comments and observations:

1) BTN appears to have newbies in the sound tech department. The wind being picked up by the microphones while people were trying to ask/answer questions, was annoying,

2) You can pretty much take it to the bank that Gerry Di Nardo will ALWAYS mention the phrase "match-up" opponents in some of these B1G previews and, true to form, he mentioned that,

3) Dave Revsine did his usual "bowl movement grunt" when going to the commercial saying "Next.......OOOOON the Biiiiiiiiig 10 Network,

4) In a nice change of pace, I did not hear Howard Griffith utter the word "PARTICULARLY". He is a close runner-up in the use of words ending in "LY". (Champion is Mike Greenberg from Mike and Mike in the morning). I do like and appreciate his passion for technique and the emphasis on little things winning games which he said our coaches were doing, and

5) I did enjoy the "suprise players" picks.

Buck

The fumbling by Gray is a bit disconcerting. He needs to resolve that problem or else he may not be the starting qb by mid-season. There is no question that Kill will pull anyone if he is not performing.

What makes you say that? Has he done this in the past or is this a guess? Maybe he'll let Gray play through the struggles.

What makes you say that? Has he done this in the past or is this a guess? Maybe he'll let Gray play through the struggles.

Gray has already been playing through struggles when it comes to handling the football. He has way too many fumbles in his career when you consider the number of touches he has. I was hoping he would fix it, but it sounds like he hasn't. I'm not saying he shouldn't be starting, but I am very concerned about his ability to protect the football.

Agree but will go with my comments and observations:

1) BTN appears to have newbies in the sound tech department. The wind being picked up by the microphones while people were trying to ask/answer questions, was annoying,

2) You can pretty much take it to the bank that Gerry Di Nardo will ALWAYS mention the phrase "match-up" opponents in some of these B1G previews and, true to form, he mentioned that,

3) Dave Revsine did his usual "bowl movement grunt" when going to the commercial saying "Next.......OOOOON the Biiiiiiiiig 10 Network,

4) In a nice change of pace, I did not hear Howard Griffith utter the word "PARTICULARLY". He is a close runner-up in the use of words ending in "LY". (Champion is Mike Greenberg from Mike and Mike in the morning). I do like and appreciate his passion for technique and the emphasis on little things winning games which he said our coaches were doing, and

5) I did enjoy the "suprise players" picks.

Buck
I thought that the Claeys and Limegrover interviews were really insightful. I took away that we are really lucky to have these two guys on our staff. They are definitely an extension of Kill. To the Networks defense, they were basing things on the first couple days of practice and no pads on the players. I'm sure that ESPN and FOX Sports headhunt any talent.

The offense was pretty sloppy today and Coach Kill let them hear it. So it is hard to gauge if the defense improved matched up against the offense not clicking. I thought Parrish looked better than Shortell. It appeared that Shortell earned #2 reps early, but Parrish earned more reps as the scrimmage went on. I didn't stay the entire time, but didn't see Alipate get any snaps. If he is the #4 going into his 3rd year in the program at 6'5 275, maybe it's time to consider a position change or a transfer to UMD.

It looks like we will be better at RB. Bennett looks good and Cobb doesn't run like a freshman.

This is the time for team leadership to surface. Experienced players who can get in the minds of the players and get them focused. The guys are likely getting tired and need to reach inward for strength and motivation. Sometimes a bit of after practice stuff between players can remedy things. The coaches can only so so much and at times can be counterproductive with all their harping, rants and putdowns. I am sure Coach Kill is on top of all this as there is still a ways to go with two a days.

I remember reading that Kill was quick to bench Harnish when he was struggling, so it could happen.

1500: A slew of miscues, injuries mar Gophers' first full scrimmage:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...juries_mar_Gophers_first_full_scrimmage081611

GopherSports: Camp Blog Day 9: Gophers Hold First Scrimmage

http://www.gophersports.com/blog/

FSN: Gray gets his chance to lead the Gophers

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/08/15...nding_gophers.html?blockID=548092&feedID=3590

STrib: Kill finds the positives in sloppy scrimmage

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/127913863.html

STrib: Jacobs is fine with coach's interior motives

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/127802138.html

Go Gophers!!

I was there, though they handed out sheets asking us not to post what we saw on boards, as with the other practices I've been to

Was MarQueis thrown out of practice yesterday? I caught the tail end of a conversation on KFAN this morning and they were talking about how he was thrown off the field yesterday and Mike Morris mentioned that there must be an attitude problem there if Coach Kill didn't even make him stay and watch practice. Don't know where they got that. Seems like quite an over-reaction to the first scrimmage yesterday.

We need to stay healthy though. Hate hearing about all these players being out every day.

I don't think so. He was sent to the sideline for fumbling.

From Miller's Blog in strib.

Quarterback MarQueis Gray fumbles a couple of snaps from backup center Zach Mottla? "MarQueis, you're killing us right now!" Kill yelled before banishing his starter to the sideline for a series.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I don't know where they got the "thrown off the field" bit....obviously a misinterpretation which then made it sound worse than it was.

Limegrover interview at noon today

There is supposed to be an interview with Limegrover at noon today on KFAN.

There is supposed to be an interview with Limegrover at noon today on KFAN.

Unfortunately, it's with Hawkey. I actually like all the rest of the on-air talent at KFAN (even Gaard, who is good on radio but has no business doing Gopher games), but Hawkey just plain sucks. I cringe every time he talks.

Was MarQueis thrown out of practice yesterday? I caught the tail end of a conversation on KFAN this morning and they were talking about how he was thrown off the field yesterday and Mike Morris mentioned that there must be an attitude problem there if Coach Kill didn't even make him stay and watch practice. Don't know where they got that. Seems like quite an over-reaction to the first scrimmage yesterday.

We need to stay healthy though. Hate hearing about all these players being out every day.

i heard that segment as well. mike morris was simply speculating on his own. i.e. thinking out loud. it came up because coach limegrover was going to be on the power trip morning show on KFAN and morris was saying out loud that he wanted to ask limegrover if there was something more to why coach kill had gray leave the field for a series besides just fumbling a few snaps from the back-up center during the scrimmage.

imo, nothing to see here. was just morris talking out load on his own.

Unfortunately, it's with Hawkey. I actually like all the rest of the on-air talent at KFAN (even Gaard, who is good on radio but has no business doing Gopher games), but Hawkey just plain sucks. I cringe every time he talks.

The one thing Hawkey has going for him is that he's a Gopher football fan ... season ticket holder. He likes the Gophers, wants them to be good, wants the season to start. That puts him above most of the others on that station.

Ok, I see where the Hawkey hate came from in the extremely tardy thread I posted. And I completely disagree with dpo on Hawkey. He's not my favorite on-air personality, but I'd take him over Burrito, JG and even Common on some occasions.

Hawkey has some great anti-Sludge stuff (the fo-hawk song was great) and totally love Hawk's fandom of the Gophs.

What I really miss is the PA and Dubay show. Dubes wasn't my favorite and I always listened to the show for PA, but he brought an awesome Gopher-centric dynamic to the show. That was also when JG was decent as well.

From the moment Kill got here he has been talking about how no one has a starting position. It took him a while to name Gray the starter at QB. Kill has also said that he will put the best person on the field even if it is a freshman. Do you think that if Gray is fumbling the ball several times a game that Kill will just over-look that and keep him in? If so, you have not been listening to what Kill has been saying.

From the moment Kill got here he has been talking about how no one has a starting position. It took him a while to name Gray the starter at QB. Kill has also said that he will put the best person on the field even if it is a freshman. Do you think that if Gray is fumbling the ball several times a game that Kill will just over-look that and keep him in? If so, you have not been listening to what Kill has been saying.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
While both are fumbles, I think that a center/ QB exchange fumble and fumbling while being tackled are different issues. In the first case the QB and center have to get together and perfect that exchange - when a new center, or new QB, enters a game or scrimmage it may take a play or two to get that straightened out. If that exchange is fumbled who gets benched? The QB, center or both? If Gray is fumbling while running with the ball he has to learn to carry that ball "high and tight." In this case Gray will get likely get benched.

I think the biggest problem the have is the center snaps. The offense features under center, pistol and spread. Then you change the center and the velocity, arch, spiral, etc is just a little different. Gray focusing on everything else line calls, route tendencies, formation. He takes his eyes off the ball and fumble. The two things the QB cannot do is fumble or be sacked. If teams note we are having this problem they will shift a tackle over the center to add pressure to the snap. Best to get it down now. No report on other QB's having this fumble problem?

Did Shortell really only have one offer (counting the Gophers)? That's hard to believe...

Top Bottom