Official 2011 Gopher Fall Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

Personally, I think MV does a nice job of cutting through the spin at FBT today:

#QBGAZE2K11 is in full swing among the print media folk, with a volley of articles disseminating from the Twin Cities' beat reports around a few Kill sound-bites that honestly sound rather innocuous when centrifuged free of spin. Marcus Fuller champions his not-so-subtle Max Shortell ascension, as he scribes on the remarkable progress Shortell has made in only two and half weeks of fall camp. Do pay particular attention to how Marcus (a good dude, by the way) phrases this PiPo lede:

Gophers football coach Jerry Kill called the transition MarQueis Gray is making from starting wide receiver to starting quarterback "kind of remarkable." But Kill seems more impressed with the improvement of freshman quarterback Max Shortell through fall camp. Kill even said after practice Tuesday that Shortell needs to be ready to play. Whether that is in the Sept. 3 season opener at Southern California, he wouldn't say.

Marcus is using comparative conjecture here, imply that Shortell's rapid development in fall camp is somehow more impressive than Gray's equally challenging move to full time quarterback after what amounts to a four year vacation from the position. The truth is both performances are noteworthy in their own right, as unheralded true freshmen quarterback recruits are not typically the type to make a huge splash in fall camp and rise all the way to #2 on the depth chart without much resistance and a former blue-chip prospect with other-worldly athleticism making the leap back to his original position after years of mismanagement are impressive feats. I haven't read a quote from Kill in any context that suggests he feels Shortell's work in camp is somehow more impressive and if some fans and media believe he has a quarterback controversy on his hands, Kill isn't aware of it. For further evidence, look at the full quotes from Kill on his quarterbacks:

"We'll have to see how [Gray] progresses. That's something I can't answer. The best news we have is that the freshman is progressing very well. Shortell had a very good practice last night, and he had a very good practice today. He's going to have to be available. And he knows that. We're not asking for miracles. Anything MarQueis does good and what he struggles on, that's our fault, that's my fault. You're talking about a kid who has played receiver for two years, who hasn't played quarterback for four years. And we're going to go line him up against USC. I imagine his mind has got a lot on it right now."

This is not some underhanded motivational technique on Kill's part to force Q into working harder, as Shortell -- the reserve QB -- has to be ready by the season opener much like any back-up player would. Moreover, Kill and the coaching staff freely admit that they've loaded a lot on Gray's mind by throwing every different type of blitz, coverage and defensive alignment at him in practice, all while the offensive staff keeps adding information for him to digest:

"He's learning all of the increments. He's learning to get the signals from the sideline. He's learning when they rock a safety down and what to do. Shoot, they can't do that in pro football in two weeks. And those guys are getting paid a million dollars, more than a million dollars. What's that guy getting paid for the Vikings? What's (rookie quarterback Christian) Ponder getting paid for the Vikings? He's getting paid a lot of money, and he can't figure out what coverage is and all that stuff that's happening."

Matt Limegrover agees and defended his starting quarterback to the media after practice, as reported by 1500ESPN's Dana Wessel:

"That poor kid, he is seeing the history of football on defense. And we keep adding, because we need to figure out what we are going to be good at. He is trying to figure it out on the run."

For his part, Gray admits that his accuracy problems are the result of not getting his feet set, an issue that would require much practice time in the offseason to correct on its own, let alone on top of all the additional nuances of the position Q is attempting to learn via crash course. Still, there are several factors at play here that many are ignoring in the faux-controversy du jour. One, Shortell has struggles of his own in fall camp and makes his share of mistakes, which folks are seemingly ignoring. Two, Gray has a full six months of film and playbook preparation on Max and was the most mentally prepared quarterback coming out of spring practice. Three, and this is most critical, Gray's ability to scramble and run the zone-read are likely better than Shortell's ability to move the offense through the air, all things considered.

These are types of situations that form when the previous staff refuses to play their star quarterback recruit at the position for two years: at a spot where game experience is absolutely critical, Gray is feeling his way in the dark.​

There's no controversy in Week 1. But I'm sure if Gray does struggle through the first few weeks and Max is out there ballin in practice, he might get a look. I'm not too worried about it, since neither guy has done a single thing in a game yet.

There's no controversy in Week 1. But I'm sure if Gray does struggle through the first few weeks and Max is out there ballin in practice, he might get a look. I'm not too worried about it, since neither guy has done a single thing in a game yet.
This is how I feel too. I'd say there is no controversy for weeks 1 or 2 at least (since NMSU is HORRID and the Gophers should win even an ugly game).

Much like he is doing for the team. Kill is lowering expectations at the QB position.

Is Kill just playing mind games with SC so that they spend some time preparing for Shortell and making them less prepared for Q?

Here's what is going to happen. Kill will take a page right out of Forest Gump. It will be: " Run Q Run" !! The will be some flare passes, some quick outs, delays over the middle to Lair, swing passes and bubble screens. I would be surprised if he throws a deep post, stop and go, sideline and up, or a streak route. Boys, it is going to be like watching a young Ricky Fogge playing. Everybody relax and have a Fresca. Jeez, half you guys would make a cup of coffee nervous.:eek:

Q will be fine

Here's what is going to happen. Kill will take a page right out of Forest Gump. It will be: " Run Q Run" !! The will be some flare passes, some quick outs, delays over the middle to Lair, swing passes and bubble screens. I would be surprised if he throws a deep post, stop and go, sideline and up, or a streak route. Boys, it is going to be like watching a young Ricky Fogge playing. Everybody relax and have a Fresca. Jeez, half you guys would make a cup of coffee nervous.:eek:

I agree

The last two years the majority of people have wanted MarQueis to be QB1, media included, now that he's there they all want a true freshman to start ahead of him.

THE MAN HAS YET TO PLAY A GAME AT QB.

Everyone is being overly critical of what they have seen in MarQueis at practice. Let's not forget that MarQueis' best attribute is negated in practice. The threat of running will open things up as the defense will more than likely have to dedicate a LB/DB to him, thus softening the coverage.

To quote Allen Iverson, Practice, we're talking about Practice. This isn't a game, it's practice.

Here's a novel idea: hold judgement until he plays in a couple games.

Kill's name was brought up early in the process by a number of sources. I thought he'd never be considered because of his past health concerns. His brother apparently had the same concerns.

Nowadays a coach working without a signed contract is almost commonplace. I wonder how Kill's contract will reflect his past health problems and if this is one area that the lawyers are arguing over.

ruppertflywheel said:

+1 good post

That's a good point, in practice, Gray isn't going to be doing a lot of running, but he will in games. Having a QB who is a credible run threat really opens things up. We'll probably see a fair amount of play action if we can get the opponent focused on the run.

I don't like fresca... What should I do?

Here's a novel idea: hold judgement until he plays in a couple games.

NONSENSE...bench Gray. And when Max gets in there, BENCH HIM TOO!

FIRE KILL! And FIRE the next guy too! BENCH BENCH BENCH....FIRE FIRE FIRE!!!

All blame lies on the feet of Nils Hasselmo!

Great article. I was thinking the other day.. I'll get to see the USC/Gopher game before having to pay rent. Never in my life have I ever been so excited about paying rent.

per Sid:

"Shortell produces

One thing Jerry Kill and his Gophers football staff can thank former coach Tim Brewster and his coaches for is recruiting freshman Max Shortell, who was ranked the 21st-best quarterback in the country and the fifth-best football player in the state of Kansas by Rivals.com.

To date Shortell, who is the second-team quarterback behind MarQueis Gray, has lived up to all of his recruiting buildup.

"First of all, it's hard to recruit 6-6, and he's 225 pounds and he moves much better than I thought he would, to be honest with you," Kill said the other day. "He's been able to handle the heat of competition and that's in him all the time, too, because I want to find out if he can handle it and handle the pressure.

"It's hard to learn quarterback. And if his steps don't go the right way, the wrong way or whatever, he's hearing about it. And he's handled it well. He studies the game, he works hard at it, and again he's got 'want to.'

"And if you take a kid who has 'want to' and wants to put the extra time in at quarterback, you better put the extra time in. If he wants to do it, he can do it. I think his arm is a little bit tired. We've thrown a ton of balls now, a ton of balls, but I've been pleased with his progress to this point."

Shortell must be pretty good because Michigan, with great scouting reports on him, tried hard to get him to change his mind and become a Wolverine.

Fortunately, he enrolled in summer school and kept his commitment to the Gophers despite pressure from Ann Arbor."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/128430213.html

Go Gophers!!

Attachments

• thorcuaccomicmarvel.jpg
    thorcuaccomicmarvel.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 22

That horse manure pile must getting awfully big at the end of Fall practice. Or so you hope.

From Sid:

"New situation for Gray

When Gophers quarterback MarQueis Gray lines up against the Southern California defense Saturday, it will be the first time he has started under center since the fifth game of his senior year in high school, in the fall of 2007 in Indianapolis.

What a tough position for Gray to be in. But I'll tell you that with his great ability to scramble, he will play a part in some upset victories this year. As a high school senior, he was rated the third-best dual-threat quarterback in the country by Rivals.com and the seventh-best QB overall.

The big question is how much the lack of experience as a college quarterback will hinder him. But visiting with him, you see he has all kinds of confidence, and he has had a good fall practice.

"It's only pressure if I allow it to be pressure," said Gray, a receiver last year. "You just go out there and have fun, that's all a team can do, and if they do that, then great things can happen.

"One thing I have to do as a quarterback is take it one day at a time and don't worry about the little things, just have fun with it. The coaches will see what's wrong with me and we'll correct it. Other than that? Just have fun."

Gray likes what he sees in coach Jerry Kill's offense. "It's a lot more spread, zone-read type offense," he said. "The quarterback is running a lot, so we have to be in great condition to do so. I see myself running the ball a lot, but if the time comes I'd like to stay in the pocket and stick to throwing. But if I have to run, then I'm going to run."

Gray caught 42 passes for 587 yards and five touchdowns last year and he said he enjoyed being a receiver. But he added: "I'm back to the position that I love and been playing all my life, so I'm just happy playing quarterback."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/128536303.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom