Official 2011 Gopher Fall Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

WESTconsin..

HA!

Normally his drawl would bother me.. But it has grown on me, tremendously. =D

First Day of Camp opens tomorrow.

woohoo.jpg

Attachments

• woohoo.jpg
    woohoo.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2

Hats off to the Band Members who showed up.

anyone going to watch the first fall practice today at 3:55pm?

it is at gibson-nagurski correct? where is the best place to park either on or near campus when going to gibson-nagurski to watch the open practices?

thanks for any/all help, etc.

I'm heading out there, but I'm not sure about the parking situation either. I plan on getting there a little early to cruise around and take a look. Sorry that I couldn't help you more, but it should be a fun day!

Parking

it is at gibson-nagurski correct? where is the best place to park either on or near campus when going to gibson-nagurski to watch the open practices?

thanks for any/all help, etc.

The good news is that school is out so there should be a fair amount of street parking available. Pay parking is available two or three blocks south of the football complex (one block north of University Avenue).

If you root around enough you can find a place on the side streets, or just bring a sh-t pot full of quarters.:)

Yeah, that's my biggest concern whenever I tried to plan to make a practice was parking. I'd just suggest finding a sidestreet.

I can't make it.. Working both jobs today. Tues/Wed are my mornings off, so I was hoping to make a practice either of those two days.. but looks like they are afternoon practices both those days.

The only 'practice' I'll make is the Saturday one at TheBank. I'll also try to be there for the scrimmage, too.

I wanted to come over after work, but does anybody know how long practice goes until?

Gophers open practice with several open positions

Not really. Of course, Kill and staff would like to have everyone (especially his players) believe that, but outside of maybe CB2 (Carter/Vereen) and DE2 (Garin, KGM, Simpson, etc.) pretty much all of the spots are set. I would also argue WR2 might be open depending on Green's health.

dpdoll, outside of the two positions you listed

give us your starting lineups since there are no other questions. Thanks

Not really. Of course, Kill and staff would like to have everyone (especially his players) believe that, but outside of maybe CB2 (Carter/Vereen) and DE2 (Garin, KGM, Simpson, etc.) pretty much all of the spots are set. I would also argue WR2 might be open depending on Green's health.

As Dp said most spots really are set for the most part. Right Tackle will be a battle though between Gjere & Campion, back up RB is up in the air still, BOTH DE spots are open (Wilhite is a liability against the run), #2 CB + nickle-back are up for grabs & the SS spot could go a number of ways unless Manuel has suddenly grasped the schemes.

As Dp said most spots really are set for the most part. Right Tackle will be a battle though between Gjere & Campion, back up RB is up in the air still, BOTH DE spots are open (Wilhite is a liability against the run), #2 CB + nickle-back are up for grabs & the SS spot could go a number of ways unless Manuel has suddenly grasped the schemes.

I forgot kicker....we have 4 on the roster & we need a new punt returner.

Gjere or Ferguson or Campion. Who you got?
Is Beal for real?
Who will play the other corner?

It is also about playing time!

Coach Kill wants to be able to substitute a lot more than Brewster ever did. He wants to wear the other team down so that the Gophers will be the strongest team during the fourth quarter. Therefore being able to show that they can count on you will get you playing time even though you may not start.

I have to disagree with DP on this one. Other than Staudamire, I think the other 3 DB spots are open competition (not convinced Royston will be back 100%). I think you have 4 fighting for 3 LB positions and not sure if DE is set beyond Wilhite. This all may be a mute point as I understand Claeys likes to rotate a lot of guys in and out so everyone should get PT.
On offense, looking for WR #2 and #3 and RT. As back-ups, think they need to find who will be primary back up to Bennett and who is #2 QB.

Photos are up on the Gopher Football Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150280398107943.356288.6129582942&type=1

Also on Goldengophergridiron.com: http://www.goldengophergridiron.com/news_article/show/99223?referrer_id

Per Marcus's twitter:
Not much news from first day of fall camp. But offensive lineman Brooks Michel is out for yr with a concussion. He will redshirt.

Starting center Ryan Wynn missed practice because of a death in the family

Shortell had some nice deep throws, especially one to Keise who made a diving one-hand catch going out of bounds. Keise was best WR today.

Gjere or Ferguson or Campion. Who you got?
Is Beal for real?
Who will play the other corner?

The odds are loooong on Ferguson at least for this year. Gjere if he can get healthy is the long term solution, but Campion could grab the bull by the horns, especially if Gjere can't lick the injury bug.

Beal for real? Sounds like he's the man & having 4 starter-quality LB's to rotate the 3 spots & match up according to situation is a nice luxury, who starts is not important.

Other corner? Who knows but isn't it nice to have options? Carter, Vereen & Bouie have all looked good at times, Henderson can play a little & Montgomery, while a true-Freshman is talented. That's a lot of depth/talent at CB by Gopher standards & things look good for the next few years.

Top Bottom