Next Gopher Head Coach

Well I would say some "good" news today. Johnson says he is open to playing another year of college basketball. he's not a perfect player but hes a good player, one I would sure like to have back. And Curry said "this is my last season playing college basketball". Curry has been nothing but a warrior and by all accounts a great teammate, but unfortunately injuries suck and he just doesn't have anymore at a B1G level.
Would love to have Johnson back if he's a fit in the new system

Never know with that free transfer rule. The current Arkansas roster wouldn't suck in the Big Ten if he brought them with. Guessing Arkansas wouldn't allow any part of that as its very greasy but...you know...COVID and what not.
In Musselman's contract that he can't bring any of his players with him unless they were previously recruited by Mn.

Colorado St @ Nevada is indeed on CBS Sports Network (the cable channel) at 8pm tonight.

If you're all in on Smith, might still be worth a watch, if you have an open enough mind! :cool:

Loyola-Chicago already won hugely today over SIU.

UNI plays Drake at 5pm on ESPN+ if you have that. Arch madness

Down goes Niko, to Nevada. Led most the game.
Lost on the road to a last second 3-pt, after leading a big portion of the game. Dissappointing ending.

CSU will need a big run for him to get any consideration. Still, an impressive job he has done there with this season clearly showing a major trend upward.

MVC semi-finals today on CBS sports network (cable channel):

1pm - Loyola-Chicago vs Ind St
4pm - Drake vs Missouri St

UNI forfeited the quarter-final match to Drake yesterday, due to covid.

Indiana loses again. Archie is probably done despite a $10 million buyout. But we're sweating $1.75. Lol.

Indiana loses again. Archie is probably done despite a $10 million buyout. But we're sweating $1.75. Lol.
Ridiculous and I really hope this is not going to affect Coyle. If we don't get a certain coach because of money issues, that's just so brutal. Unacceptable.

Bubble teams let out a collective sigh as Drake barely escaped Missouri State yesterday.

Will be #1 Loyola-Chicago vs #2 Drake for the MVC title, at 1pm today on CBS (main channel).

MWC tourney is set:
#1 SDSU, #2 Utah St, #3 Colo St, #4 Boise and #5 Nevada all get first round byes. Boise plays Nevada in the 2nd round, while the top three get first round winners.

Likely setting up a Smith vs Medved semi-final on Friday. Championship on Sat.

Horizon League semi-final:

Milwaukee vs Cleveland St - 530pm - ESPNU - tomorrow (Mon)

Milwaukee has won upsets the first two rounds to get to the semi-final, and will have several days of rest since last round's game.

One name I don't think I've read on any of threads:

would there be any interest in Travis Ford?

We played (and beat) St Louis early this year. He hasn't exactly set the A10 on fire at St Louis, but they've been pretty good. Just lost in the A10 semi-final yesterday to #1 seed St Bonny.

Lots of head coach experience, for sure. No idea if he'd have any interest at all.

Bubble teams let out a collective sigh as Drake barely escaped Missouri State yesterday.

Will be #1 Loyola-Chicago vs #2 Drake for the MVC title, at 1pm today on CBS (main channel).
In February Drake lost their best two players to injury - starting PG Roman Penn and leading scorer Shanquan Hemphill. Impressive that they're still rolling.

I do like the Drake coach.....but wonder if Coyle is comfortable pillaging his alma mater.

In February Drake lost their best two players to injury - starting PG Roman Penn and leading scorer Shanquan Hemphill. Impressive that they're still rolling.
Thanks, did not know that, don't follow the MVC.

MWC tourney is set:
#1 SDSU, #2 Utah St, #3 Colo St, #4 Boise and #5 Nevada all get first round byes. Boise plays Nevada in the 2nd round, while the top three get first round winners.

Likely setting up a Smith vs Medved semi-final on Friday. Championship on Sat.
Is Coyle just going to watch that all week.

Winner gets the Gophers job?

Dutcher
Smith
Niko
Leon Rice
Steve Alford

Nevada is still a pretty tough program. Muss left them in good shape. But they've definitely regressed in Alford's 2nd year. Again I just think the MWC is brutal.

Would we want a retread that was fired from both Iowa and UCLA? Though I'm not exactly sure why he was fired from UCLA, after three Sweet Sixteens. Crap ton of coaching experience: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Alford#Head_coaching_record

Last edited:

He went to UNI not Drake. Also, his son, Tucker, is a Drake commit for 2021.
Coyle went to Drake.

Coyle played football for Drake University, where he graduated with a bachelor’s degree in English in 1991. He earned his master's degree in teaching from Drake in 1992 and a master's degree in sports administration from Florida State University in 1993.

I do like the Drake coach.....but wonder if Coyle is comfortable pillaging his alma mater.
Thats one way to look at that. Another way to look at that is he is respecting Drake and their program by pursuing DeVries. I am really impressed with the job he is doing (25 wins so far) while playing without his best 2 players. I hope Coyle is pursuing him because he wants whats best for the Gopher program.

Yeah but he clearly has no interest in the Minnesota job.

It's ~109 miles from Williams Arena to the I-35 border. The thought of that alone, probably sends him into a panic attack.
How do you know that? I also like the Loyola of Chicago coach, Porter Moser.

How do you know that? I also like the Loyola of Chicago coach, Porter Moser.
Of course I don't.

It's just a little suspect to me that the guy literally won't leave the state of Iowa, unless it's right across the river in Creighton.

Of course I don't.

It's just a little suspect to me that the guy literally won't leave the state of Iowa, unless it's right across the river in Creighton.
He may leave for a Big 10 head coaching job. He may want to work under an AD who grew up in Iowa and graduated from Drake.

Top Bottom