Next Gopher Head Coach

He may leave for a Big 10 head coaching job. He may want to work under an AD who grew up in Iowa and graduated from Drake.
Not impossible. I think MWC guys are better options.

Justin Gaard was on the radio today essentially saying "we're on a budget". We need someone who will be happy being paid in the bottom level of the Big Ten.

Justin Gaard was on the radio today essentially saying "we're on a budget". We need someone who will be happy being paid in the bottom level of the Big Ten.
:rolleyes:. There's no reason we can't pay what we paid Pitino and a bit more. This "we're so poor" talk is beyond annoying. Tubby was one of the 20 highest paid coaches in college basketball when he was here.

Coyle is going to get this figured out, at worst we are going to have Dutcher, Smith or Medved on a reasonable deal with escalators.

Again, is this inside information, pure speculation, or bitterness about his buddy being dismissed coming out as sour grapes?

I find it at least a little disingenuous because, really, who isn't on a budget? It's just that some are bigger than others.

Be creative in the structure of the deal. Give the new coaching staff a stake in attendance figures. You fill the seats, you get more pay. That'd drop the dollar amt of the guaranteed salary, which is what will be reported and what non-sports fans will complain about; it'll give some significant upside to the compensation package (produce a winner and you'll get paid); and make it an easier way to balance the athletic budget (large crowds equals more money).

Again, is this inside information, pure speculation, or bitterness about his buddy being dismissed coming out as sour grapes?

I find it at least a little disingenuous because, really, who isn't on a budget? It's just that some are bigger than others.
JG is a Pitino apologist and it's definitely sour grapes....The future of one of two revenue producing sports is at stake....Make sure you get your guy, the money should be there.

JG is a Pitino apologist and it's definitely sour grapes....The future of one of two revenue producing sports is at stake....Make sure you get your guy, the money should be there.
JG also said on the air that the U was lucky to have Jerry Kill.

:rolleyes:. There's no reason we can't pay what we paid Pitino and a bit more. This "we're so poor" talk is beyond annoying. Tubby was one of the 20 highest paid coaches in college basketball when he was here.

We probably will pay around that much, and that's still in the bottom 4 of the B1G.

Going to be awfully difficult to be good if you're not willing to pay someone what they're worth.
So this is a good time to see how committed Gabel is to the AD in getting the right coach on board who has what it takes to elevate the hoops program. Doyle needs her backing as well as resource to the $$$ bag.

JG doesn't know much more than any of us. The U could double Dutchers current base salary and offer the same package of incentives he currently has with better payouts. Done.

JG doesn't know much more than any of us. The U could double Dutchers current base salary and offer the same package of incentives he currently has with better payouts. Done.
Dutcher has a great resume, but do we want a 61 year old coach?

Just because we pay someone a big salary does not mean they will win big. There are guys that will win more than what we have for less than we paid. Can not see the U paying 3.5-4 million.

Why not? He could coach a long time. He’s only five years older than Musselman. Dutcher could coach 10+ years.
I just know a lot of people in general, including coaches are getting close to retirement at that age. I know there are plenty of exceptions, but I would be a little wary of hiring someone that old.

Just because we pay someone a big salary does not mean they will win big. There are guys that will win more than what we have for less than we paid. Can not see the U paying 3.5-4 million.
3 million with a giant annuity. :cool:

I have no concerns over Dutcher's age if he is the hire.

He's got at least 10+ years in him and if he's the coach we want him to be we'd be having success in year 4. Then ideally you've got 6+ years of Dutcher having his own program and success. He may get us going even in year 2 or 3 with use of the transfer portal. I wouldn't even rule out a decent year 1 if you're able to keep Robbins, Johnson, Mash, Gabe and a couple role guys while adding in transfers that are brought in (Dutcher has done a great job with transfers at SDSU).

Not impossible. I think MWC guys are better options.

I disagree, and here is why.

The MWC is a 2 and 3 star league. There are boatloads of 2 and 3 star players and if you get the right ones, and have the ability to coach, you can be successful in that league. The BIG is a different animal. In the BIG, you have to have 4 and 5 star players to contend for a conference championship or you are going to be out talented. If we are going to make a change, we need to bring in something that we can sell to the recruits. My first choices would be either Behlien or Muss, but after that I would go to Ryan Saunders. The reason for that is that he can sell that he knows what it takes to make it in the NBA and he can coach them to get there, because he's been there. He would need a strong assistant, like what Howard has at Michigan, to learn the ropes. We need to have something that the others don't have if we are going to turn it around.

3 million with a giant annuity. :cool:
Others have done it to the tune of 25 million. We will not do that and we do not need to. That gets done when boosters see how great someone is, after they have won. So many boosters have jumped ship in the past 8 years.

The one we have now lasted 8 long
The one we have now lasted 8 long years.
Why not a top bb school assistant with a good recruiting record. I can think of one I'm sure you can Few I mean too.

I disagree, and here is why.

The MWC is a 2 and 3 star league. There are boatloads of 2 and 3 star players and if you get the right ones, and have the ability to coach, you can be successful in that league. The BIG is a different animal. In the BIG, you have to have 4 and 5 star players to contend for a conference championship or you are going to be out talented. If we are going to make a change, we need to bring in something that we can sell to the recruits. My first choices would be either Behlien or Muss, but after that I would go to Ryan Saunders. The reason for that is that he can sell that he knows what it takes to make it in the NBA and he can coach them to get there, because he's been there. He would need a strong assistant, like what Howard has at Michigan, to learn the ropes. We need to have something that the others don't have if we are going to turn it around.
I get your point. My take is that even in the B1G it's not about having a bunch of 4 & 5 stars. With the impact of one & done, etc., the smartest coaches who are not coaching at Kentucky, Duke, UNC, are learning you need to try to get a 4 or 5 star (hopefully multiple), but complement that with a roster that you can rely on for 4 years and/or leverage the xfer portal, which so long as it remains as is, is the new fix-it-quick for any program. People need to get over the xfer portal as implying deficient recruiting, it's complementary. Chris Beard, Scott Drew, multiple other excellent coaches leverage it. I do agree strong staff is key. Even at Duke and elsewhere, they're starting to find out it gets difficult to manage their rosters with so little continuity. Gophers have some building blocks, Gabe, Robbins (if he'll stay) etc. This is how I would have looked at David Roddy. Heck, the more I watch him, he may be starter for Gophers. 6/5" but very long arms, strong, etc. Mistake-free for most part. I think he'd fit. As to MWC, it's a strong league at least 5+ teams deep. I wouldn't enjoy facing a few of those teams in NCAA tourney. . .

Why not a top bb school assistant with a good recruiting record. I can think of one I'm sure you can Few I mean too.
Because that's a total crap shoot. Power 5 schools rarely hire assistants with no HC experience for a reason.

Horizon League semi-final:

Milwaukee vs Cleveland St - 530pm - ESPNU - tomorrow (Mon)

Milwaukee has won upsets the first two rounds to get to the semi-final, and will have several days of rest since last round's game.
Thanks for the heads up! I hereby declare Monday basketball day at my house. Besides the Cleveland State tilt, it's senior night for my neice. She's closing in on 1,000 points in her HS career, and she might go over the top in this game.

The one we have now lasted 8 long years.
He lasted 8 years because he is young. “He’s learning. Give him time. He’ll grow into the job.” Etc
I disagree you can’t hire someone older.
Some people are old at 30...some never get old. It’s about the person.
This bs that coaches need five years to build a program is false. You can either coach or you can’t. It does not need to take 5 years to win and probably won’t happen if it hasn’t already.

Top Bottom