Next Gopher Head Coach

In February Drake lost their best two players to injury - starting PG Roman Penn and leading scorer Shanquan Hemphill. Impressive that they're still rolling.
Indeed. Lost both to broken feet. Metatarsals were snapping like driftwood around Des Moines.

Last edited:

I just know a lot of people in general, including coaches are getting close to retirement at that age. I know there are plenty of exceptions, but I would be a little wary of hiring someone that old.
I have no respect for that logic.

I just don't like the scarcity mindset.

"The U can't afford this. The U can't afford that."

The optimist mindset thinks differently.
It's about dreaming and putting a vision out there.

If your vision starts with "Well, our coach can only be the 9th-11th best paid coach in the Big Ten" you are starting off with the wrong questions.

Your vision needs to be how to we set ourselves up to be a top 10 school every year, and then fill in the pieces from there.

20 years ago people would have said MN doesn't have the local talent so it's not worth trying.
Now you have enough talent to have this is a goal in mind.
Sure, you might come up short, but this "Hope to be an NCAA team" for the last 20 years is tiresome.

I'm tired of bubble watch every year.
If you are bubble every year for the majority of your thirty years, you aren't aiming high enough.

Gonzaga is not a bubble team every year.
Mark Few isn't the only guy who can coach basketball.

Just because we pay someone a big salary does not mean they will win big. There are guys that will win more than what we have for less than we paid. Can not see the U paying 3.5-4 million.
I want MN to win MUCH more that MN has in the past.

I just don't like the scarcity mindset.

"The U can't afford this. The U can't afford that."

The optimist mindset thinks differently.
It's about dreaming and putting a vision out there.

If your vision starts with "Well, our coach can only be the 9th-11th best paid coach in the Big Ten" you are starting off with the wrong questions.

Your vision needs to be how to we set ourselves up to be a top 10 school every year, and then fill in the pieces from there.

20 years ago people would have said MN doesn't have the local talent so it's not worth trying.
Now you have enough talent to have this is a goal in mind.
Sure, you might come up short, but this "Hope to be an NCAA team" for the last 20 years is tiresome.

I'm tired of bubble watch every year.
If you are bubble every year for the majority of your thirty years, you aren't aiming high enough.

Gonzaga is not a bubble team every year.
Mark Few isn't the only guy who can coach basketball.
Paying around the same or a bit more (plus buyouts) to replace RP is not a scarcity mind set.

I have been trying to watch more of these teams with potential next coaches so your SDSU/ARK/CLE ST/UT St etc. And there are obviously good things and bad things about each. Then I go back to our recent track record and think, well it cant be any worse so all these guys are great hires!

Gopher seeds in the B10 tourney the last few years 13-12-7-11 good for an average seed of 10.75. 3 weakling wednesday games
For comparison:
Rutgers--14-12-8-7--Average seed 10.25 2 weakling wednesday
Northwestern--10-14-13-12 Average seed 12.25 3 weakling wednesday
Penn St--7-10-6-11 Average seed 8.5 1 Weakling wednesday
Nebraska--4-13-14-14 Average 11.25 3 Weakling wednesday

I know I know, we have talked about needing to move on ad nauseum, but man some of these stats just are so depressing. Sure we arent Michigan St/Mich/Ohio St thats fine, but honestly, we have the most weakling wednesday appearances the last 4 years? our AVERAGE is finishing 11th place? There is no way even an average coach lets this happen.

I have been trying to watch more of these teams with potential next coaches so your SDSU/ARK/CLE ST/UT St etc. And there are obviously good things and bad things about each. Then I go back to our recent track record and think, well it cant be any worse so all these guys are great hires!

Gopher seeds in the B10 tourney the last few years 13-12-7-11 good for an average seed of 10.75. 3 weakling wednesday games
For comparison:
Rutgers--14-12-8-7--Average seed 10.25 2 weakling wednesday
Northwestern--10-14-13-12 Average seed 12.25 3 weakling wednesday
Penn St--7-10-6-11 Average seed 8.5 1 Weakling wednesday
Nebraska--4-13-14-14 Average 11.25 3 Weakling wednesday

I know I know, we have talked about needing to move on ad nauseum, but man some of these stats just are so depressing. Sure we arent Michigan St/Mich/Ohio St thats fine, but honestly, we have the most weakling wednesday appearances the last 4 years? our AVERAGE is finishing 11th place? There is no way even an average coach lets this happen.
Anything less than a home run hire is not a great hire.

Anything less than a home run hire is not a great hire.
Holy semantics.... A true home run hire is decided after we see results in the future. A lot of "home run" hires are ones that win the press conference. Hiring Craig Smith or Medved could be really "boring" hires, but their results will truly dictate whether they were a great hire. We could also hire Musselman and he could flop. Tubby was considered a home run hire at the time. Clem probably wasn't when he was? Sorry for the rant I just hate that term lol.

Justin Gaard was on the radio today essentially saying "we're on a budget". We need someone who will be happy being paid in the bottom level of the Big Ten.
Wonder what it would be like for public entities to live on a budget.

What is your definition a homerun in this situation? Did you consider RP a homerun when he was hired?
RP? Are you kidding? Similar to when Monson was hired, no one wanted the job. Watched it play out now for decades.

Definition - I agree it is difficult to define. What I dont want is for MN admin to go the inexpensive route. Again, if MN wants a big time program, hire for a big time program.

Holy semantics.... A true home run hire is decided after we see results in the future. A lot of "home run" hires are ones that win the press conference. Hiring Craig Smith or Medved could be really "boring" hires, but their results will truly dictate whether they were a great hire. We could also hire Musselman and he could flop. Tubby was considered a home run hire at the time. Clem probably wasn't when he was? Sorry for the rant I just hate that term lol.
So, which of the following, in your opinion, would be considered a home run hire at MN, when announced at the presser? Which would be considered a solid hire? Which would be considered at risky hire?

1. Beard
2. Musselman
3. Medved
4. Smith
5. Dutcher
6. Wright
7. Gates
8. Mike White
9. Belein
10. Miles

You've made a few comments like this. You do understand that this is not coming from taxpayer funding or the school's general budget, correct?

So, which of the following, in your opinion, would be considered a home run hire at MN, when announced at the presser? Which would be considered a solid hire? Which would be considered at risky hire?

1. Beard
2. Musselman
3. Medved
4. Smith
5. Dutcher
6. Wright
7. Gates
8. Mike White
9. Belein
10. Miles
I'm a Musselman all in guy. However, 1/2/5/6/9 would all be ticket sellers/home run guys here. Forget about 1/6 - those are not happening.

Of the rest, I'd say Smith or Gates could be really solid

Medved, could be good but lacks the resume IMO.

Miles- no way.

1. Beard
2. Musselman

Home Run Hires above!!!

Solid hires below.

3. Medved
4. Smith
5. Dutcher
6. Wright
7. Gates
8. Mike White

Mike White?
Where did his name come from?

9. Belein
10. Miles

Miles would be okay but viewed as a retread because of Nebraska.
Nice guy, though.
Beilein would be a bit of a questionable hire. Feels like when minor colleges pick up coaches beyond their prime.

Home Run Hires above!!!

Solid hires below.

Mike White?

Nice guy, though.
Beilein would be a bit of a questionable hire. Feels like when minor colleges pick up coaches beyond their prime.
You only hire Beilein if there is an assistant hire he has that would be a coach in waiting 5 years hence. We have to build continuity. Beilien is amazing. Just old.

1. Beard
2. Musselman
3. Medved
4. Smith
5. Dutcher
6. Wright
7. Gates
8. Mike White
9. Belein
10. Miles

Great question. Honestly on this list, I think all are an upgrade currently. I'll do tiers on my comfort level of them being successful here.

Tier 1: (Never happening for a variety of reason that are mostly not money related). They are top 5 coaches in the country at this time imo.
1. Beard
2. Wright

Tier 2: This group are all defensive guys who build systems and I trust in their ability to teach. I like Smith the most because of age, energy, winning at tough jobs, and price.
1. Musselman
2. Smith
3. Dutcher

Tier 3: This is a group who I think are good coaches and will need a little luck. My main lack of confidence in this group is their lack of experience/varied results.
1. Medved
2. Mike White
3. Gates

Tier 4:
1. Beilein: Great great teacher and coach, but his program takes time to build and develop. I also question his want and willingness to grind at this stage. He doesn't have much more to prove.
2. Miles: I think Miles is better than what his Nebraska record shows. I think he puts the U in Fran McCaffery/Iowa territory. It's fine and its maybe my initial goal, but I'd worry about a plateau with Miles. One thing he would do is find great assistants. His coaching tree is rather impressive.
I think Mike White or Miles are maybe the only two who don't win the press conference here with fans. With the media it's a different story.

You only hire Beilein if there is an assistant hire he has that would be a coach in waiting 5 years hence. We have to build continuity. Beilien is amazing. Just old.

Beilein has a son that took the job at Niagara a couple years ago but had to step down due to personal reasons, having him on staff and being his successor could potentially be a part of negotiations. May not be a factor but I guess something to keep in mind when considering him.

manderson's list is probably where i'm at in terms of a pecking order. Probably put Gates ahead of Medved but otherwise I think it's bang on the money.

Last edited:

Great question. Honestly on this list, I think all are an upgrade currently. I'll do tiers on my comfort level of them being successful here.

Tier 1: (Never happening for a variety of reason that are mostly not money related). They are top 5 coaches in the country at this time imo.
1. Beard
2. Wright

Tier 2: This group are all defensive guys who build systems and I trust in their ability to teach. I like Smith the most because of age, energy, winning at tough jobs, and price.
1. Musselman
2. Smith
3. Dutcher

Tier 3: This is a group who I think are good coaches and will need a little luck. My main lack of confidence in this group is their lack of experience/varied results.
1. Medved
2. Mike White
3. Gates

Tier 4:
1. Beilein: Great great teacher and coach, but his program takes time to build and develop. I also question his want and willingness to grind at this stage. He doesn't have much more to prove.
2. Miles: I think Miles is better than what his Nebraska record shows. I think he puts the U in Fran McCaffery/Iowa territory. It's fine and its maybe my initial goal, but I'd worry about a plateau with Miles. One thing he would do is find great assistants. His coaching tree is rather impressive.
I think Mike White or Miles are maybe the only two who don't win the press conference here with fans. With the media it's a different story.
agree pretty much with this, and interesting initial list but prob would have not bothered having Wright's name on list, and instead included Leon Rice. But all good otherwise.

1. Beard
2. Wright

1. Musselman
2. Smith
3. Dutcher

1. Medved
2. Mike White
3. Gates

Tier 4:

For me a home run would be to just get us on track to finish above .500 in B1G play every year. That would be leaps and bounds better than where we have been in recent memory. I honestly think any of the tiers of coaches that you listed can get us there. Of course we all want more than that but maybe we should think small....

For me a home run would be to just get us on track to finish above .500 in B1G play every year. That would be leaps and bounds better than where we have been in recent memory. I honestly think any of the tiers of coaches that you listed can get us there. Of course we all want more than that but maybe we should think small....

Agreed, it happens in incriments. I think you need to get to Iowa level first (Mediocre years, but then a couple top 10 years) and my ultimate goal would be like a Purdue. No matter who they lose, you know who they are and they will always be competitive.

What would be the justification for Medved over Smith?

Word on the street is he has plenty of energy though to walk his 2 dogs on a daily basis!

Home Run Hires above!!!

Solid hires below.

Mike White?

Nice guy, though.
There's nothing about Beilein's last few years at Michigan to suggest he was past his prime.

1. Beard
2. Wright

1. Musselman
2. Smith
3. Dutcher

1. Medved
2. Mike White
3. Gates

Tier 4:
Do you think Mike White is getting fired or wants out a year ahead of the firing squad?

If you’re going to bring up an apples and oranges analogy . . . . Do you know one private entity/business that would allow one of their most visible divisions/products to routinely finish in the 3rd and 4th quartiles year after year, and not find a way to address it?!?

If you’re going to bring up an apples and oranges analogy . . . . Do you know one private entity/business that would allow one of their most visible divisions/products to routinely finish in the 3rd and 4th quartiles year after year, and not find a way to address it?!?
Are you saying the Gophers are a tax write-off?

Top Bottom