Next Gopher Head Coach

Here’s that video Flugaur posted. Worth the watch. Makes me want Gates, someone said he has no interest in Minnesota though. Hope that’s completely false. Seems pretty damn impressive.

Here’s that video Flugaur posted. Worth the watch. Makes me want Gates, someone said he has no interest in Minnesota though. Hope that’s completely false. Seems pretty damn impressive.

We'd be lucky to land this guy.

I think he's going to be our coach.

We'd be lucky to land this guy.

I think he's going to be our coach.
One thing about him: he grew up in the inner city, and he's seen some shit. He relates to what a lot of young guys are dealing with or have dealt with.

Musselman-homerun. If he wants it go get him.

Gates-best potential/highest ceiling outside of muss. Inexperienced as a head coach and maybe a guy that would bolt to FSU. But he’s a guy that has a vision/culture to build on for sure. And probably the best recruiter of the bunch. Much like fleck. Think he would do wonders sitting at a recruits dining room table with the family.

Medved-the one with the most connections within the MN high school coaches. Outside of the above two I think he and his staff would be the best in line at getting in state guys to stay home. And he has a pretty high ceiling but maybe a lower floor then some. For some reason, maybe just my gut, I like him more then smith roght now. Not that I have seen more then 3-4 games if there’s this season but love how hard his team works when on the floor. And he takes the job if offered

Smith-after muss I think he is the safest pick. In that I think he can build this program to middle of the big ten and has a lower floor. Just a steady coach that will get the job done but maybe never be able to put us towards the top 5 in the conference consistently. Again he takes job if offered

Dutcher-a lot like Smith. Low floor.Love that this is clearly his destination spot clearly stated in his contract. Knows how to coach and his life is 100% basketball.

This is my to 5 right now. I would be pretty excited for any of these coaches.

The more I hear about Gates the more it sounds like Boston College is the perfect fit for him. With his ACC experience and his wife already working at BC it seems he would have reasons to choose that job over ours. Sounds like they have a couple kids so I’m sure a situation where the family can all be together in one place would be preferable.

Not at all saying I’m against hiring him here or that I think he wouldn’t take this job if offered, just that the stars seem to be aligned between him and BC.

Gates would would work wonders for recruiting Chicago

I like all of the coaches that have been mentioned and I would rally behind any of them. Interest in Gopher basketball probably has never been lower in our state. Ideally we need a shot in the arm type hire that will get people excited. Fingers crossed that Coyle can pull it off and perhaps he has some boosters who are willing to fork over the cash to get someone! I'm just excited to see who gets the job!!!

Utah State with a (makeup) home game tonight vs Wyoming, 830pm on FS1. Wyoming is at the bottom of the "middle pack" in the league standings, but still a decent team. Should be a USU win.

Colo St is supposed to play a makeup at Nevada tomorrow, but Nevada just cancelled its game yesterday due to positive covid tests, so I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel tomorrow as well.

Gates's Cleveland St team takes on Wisc-Milwaukee in the Horizon semi-final on Monday, 530pm on ESPNU. Milwaukee won the first round ("play in") game, and then upset #2 Wright St in the quarter-final on Tues, so might be dangerous with plenty of rest inbetween.

Missouri Valley (for those who think those guys have a chance):

First round ("play in") games tonight: #7 UNI vs #10 ILL St 8pm ESPN+ (streaming only)
Tomorrow:
#1 Loyola vs 8Bradley/9SIU 11am ESPN+ (streaming only)
#2 Drake vs 7UNI/10ISU 5pm ESPN+ (streaming only)

I like all of the coaches that have been mentioned and I would rally behind any of them. Interest in Gopher basketball probably has never been lower in our state. Ideally we need a shot in the arm type hire that will get people excited. Fingers crossed that Coyle can pull it off and perhaps he has some boosters who are willing to fork over the cash to get someone! I'm just excited to see who gets the job!!!
This is good post, exactly my thoughts. Its amazing how far this team has fallen in the past few weeks. From potential S16, top 5 NCAA seed to 12th in the B1G. Pitino and/or the players have lost total control. At this point all of these guys have things we can rally behind and on the flip side all have things we might not love. Hopefully whoever it is turns out to be "the guy" and turns the program into a quality product year in and year out.

1.) Musselman
2.) Smith/Dutcher
3.) Moser

I’m personally not a fan of Gates just yet. At our current state of the program we aren’t in the position to take “chances” on an unproven coach. 2 years in a low level conference isn’t enough for me personally.

It’s going to be nice to see a team that has actual offensive flow. This high low/motion concept is so high school and proves lack of player ability/development. This is mostly on the coach. Pitino’s lack of development is the reasons he’s on his way out.

Side note: Can we please update the barn? It’s old and playing the history card isn’t a reason to be hesitant on this. At the very least let’s get a few new jeresy designs. Let’s scrap the old and look forward to something new. Very similar with what Fleck did. I love his jersey combos.

There were like 120 NCAA violations, but like 80 of them were letting the players use a car that some car dealer lent him. Every time one of the players drove it off campus, it was a new violation. Not giving the players cars, just having one they could use. I think the rest involved players selling their game tickets.

On the other hand UNC had a fake major for 20 years and that's totally fine.
giphy.gif

Musselman-homerun. If he wants it go get him.

Gates-best potential/highest ceiling outside of muss. Inexperienced as a head coach and maybe a guy that would bolt to FSU. But he’s a guy that has a vision/culture to build on for sure. And probably the best recruiter of the bunch. Much like fleck. Think he would do wonders sitting at a recruits dining room table with the family.

Medved-the one with the most connections within the MN high school coaches. Outside of the above two I think he and his staff would be the best in line at getting in state guys to stay home. And he has a pretty high ceiling but maybe a lower floor then some. For some reason, maybe just my gut, I like him more then smith roght now. Not that I have seen more then 3-4 games if there’s this season but love how hard his team works when on the floor. And he takes the job if offered

Smith-after muss I think he is the safest pick. In that I think he can build this program to middle of the big ten and has a lower floor. Just a steady coach that will get the job done but maybe never be able to put us towards the top 5 in the conference consistently. Again he takes job if offered

Dutcher-a lot like Smith. Low floor.Love that this is clearly his destination spot clearly stated in his contract. Knows how to coach and his life is 100% basketball.

This is my to 5 right now. I would be pretty excited for any of these coaches.
Low floor is bad, right?

1.) Musselman
2.) Smith/Dutcher
3.) Moser

I’m personally not a fan of Gates just yet. At our current state of the program we aren’t in the position to take “chances” on an unproven coach. 2 years in a low level conference isn’t enough for me personally.

It’s going to be nice to see a team that has actual offensive flow. This high low/motion concept is so high school and proves lack of player ability/development. This is mostly on the coach. Pitino’s lack of development is the reasons he’s on his way out.

Side note: Can we please update the barn? It’s old and playing the history card isn’t a reason to be hesitant on this. At the very least let’s get a few new jeresy designs. Let’s scrap the old and look forward to something new. Very similar with what Fleck did. I love his jersey combos.
I tend to agree on Gates, not yet proven, but seems like a real nice guy. That didn't workout for us this last time.

The more I hear about Gates the more it sounds like Boston College is the perfect fit for him. With his ACC experience and his wife already working at BC it seems he would have reasons to choose that job over ours. Sounds like they have a couple kids so I’m sure a situation where the family can all be together in one place would be preferable.

Not at all saying I’m against hiring him here or that I think he wouldn’t take this job if offered, just that the stars seem to be aligned between him and BC.
There is some BC podcast and I listened to the part about the coaching search and their guy said he thinks they'll hire Gates and he thought that'd be a great hire. Not sure why he'd come here unless his wife lands a job in Minneapolis. Not sure she'd want to leave an Associate AD job at a D1 school like BC.

There is some BC podcast and I listened to the part about the coaching search and their guy said he thinks they'll hire Gates and he thought that'd be a great hire. Not sure why he'd come here unless his wife lands a job in Minneapolis. Not sure she'd want to leave an Associate AD job at a D1 school like BC.
It does seem to be a natural fit. One way or another, I'm a Dennis Gates fan from here on in.

If you're looking at the facts and results, it is hard to ignore what Craig Smith has done when you compare him to a guy like Gates.

The buyout for Muss drops in May, can we wait that long?
https://watchstadium.com/arkansas-c...contract-salary-buyout-incentives-04-09-2019/

If Musselman leaves Arkansas, he’d owe Arkansas the following liquidated damages:
  • $5 million – Through April 30, 2021
  • $1.5 million – May 1, 2021 through April 30, 2022
  • $1 million – May 1, 2022 through April 30, 2024
  • $750,000 – May 1, 2024 through the end date of any extensions

Haven't seen any cancellations for Colo St at Nevada tonight. 8pm, but doesn't look like there is any TV.

Could check CBS Sports Network later to see if they picked it up last second, that's a usual channel for MWC games.

The buyout for Muss drops in May, can we wait that long?
https://watchstadium.com/arkansas-c...contract-salary-buyout-incentives-04-09-2019/

If Musselman leaves Arkansas, he’d owe Arkansas the following liquidated damages:
  • $5 million – Through April 30, 2021
  • $1.5 million – May 1, 2021 through April 30, 2022
  • $1 million – May 1, 2022 through April 30, 2024
  • $750,000 – May 1, 2024 through the end date of any extensions
Then wait until May. Tell he existing players that we have a great coach lined up and to wait. Mussy would be worth it. My guess is that 21-22 is not going to be pretty no matter who we hire.

Then wait until May. Tell he existing players that we have a great coach lined up and to wait. Mussy would be worth it. My guess is that 21-22 is not going to be pretty no matter who we hire.
Never know with that free transfer rule. The current Arkansas roster wouldn't suck in the Big Ten if he brought them with. Guessing Arkansas wouldn't allow any part of that as its very greasy but...you know...COVID and what not.

Well I would say some "good" news today. Johnson says he is open to playing another year of college basketball. he's not a perfect player but hes a good player, one I would sure like to have back. And Curry said "this is my last season playing college basketball". Curry has been nothing but a warrior and by all accounts a great teammate, but unfortunately injuries suck and he just doesn't have anymore at a B1G level.

Top Bottom