Next Gopher Head Coach

In case some of you don't get why Musselman is the correct choice:

You caught me in the moment. For a time there I was a Freshman in the student section. But this is not something that can be repeated. It's like a remake of a classic movie which never meets expectations. Musselman's not going to bring that back as he's also not going to wear those ugly plaid flare pants and wide collar jacket his dad wore. Just Sayin'

I want a former player that is a coach and tied in to the AAU system here. I would like to see Ben Johnson as a serious candidate.

What Pitino says are the challenges at MN for the bball program. Starts at 42 min then RP answers at 43, but the set up is good, so start at 42.

(edit) some of my favorite quotes:

MN has a DECENT tradition, I wouldn't say it's great
The local fans get upset when you land one of the best in-state kids but don't land the rest, that is one of the challenges of coaching at MN

RP said they didn't get about 10% of the MN kids. You have got to be kidding. He clearly has missed on more than 10%; a couple of years they didn't any MN kids. I am sure Gaard is hoping Pitino doesn't lose his job. And a couple of kids should not have been recruited at all i.e. Hurt and Omersa.

I'd be happy with Dutcher or Musselman, but I think people way overrate the "dad" angle. Sometimes a man likes to walk his own path in life and not step in his father's footprints.

It seems that Brian Dutcher DOES want to step into his father's footprints... even included a sizeable lower buyout only for the University of Minnesota in his recent contract.

I want a former player that is a coach and tied in to the AAU system here. I would like to see Ben Johnson as a serious candidate.
I sort of agree... although I'm not sure Ben Johnson is ready to step into a head coaching job in the B1G. My dream scenario would be to bring in Brian Dutcher to stabilize the program. Since he is 61, Dutcher isn't really a long-term answer for the school. If Dutcher could bring along someone like Johnson, sort of as a heir apparrent... I think that'd make an ideal solution.

Last edited:

Decided to look up how we compare to Wisconsin for the 5 and 4 stars recruits since internet era (2000 according to 247). It was very interesting when you see the talent they have gotten relative to the success of their teams.

5 stars: WI 2 MN 1

4 stars: WI 15 MN 12

So WI landed 1 extra 5 star and 3 extra 4 stars.

Should 4 extra players equate to such a massive difference in team success?
Great post!

The only thing attractive about it is that it is in the best basketball conference in the country. That and I suppose you could point to the ever increasing quality of recruits from our state.

Other than that, our fan base is apathetic, haven't won for nearly 25 years, and it's cold as hell with a University sitting the middle of an area now known for lawlessness and political upheavel.
Ya, who would want to coach at the U and live in the Twin Cities? Fleck must be an aberration.

so Much depends how what coach comes here....
Carr and curry are 100% gone either way.

Johnson is probably close to 100% as well. Although I would love to see him come back.

Robbins and Maschburn. Again depends on who they bring in. But I think for both these guys, unless they just don’t feel like they will click with the new hire, it will be hard for either of them to walk away from starting spots for a big ten teams. So as long as we make the right hire I think they both stay.

Gach I just don’t think will have a lot of options for himself unless he transfers down. but I would put him as gone roght now.

Ihnen, tre, and gabe are all back.

Freeman and Mitchell.I think both of these guys are back as well. Although I could see freeman transferring closer to home and looking for more minutes.

Recruits.
Phouto is gone
Thompson....assuming the next coach honors the offer. Will stay committed
Two players i do not want to lose due to a new coach are Mashburn and Mitchell. Hopefully they stay after the coaching change.

Curious as to what makes you think he is a good coach ?

It can't be his 102-158 career NBA coaching record.

Minnesota really has a thing with coaches kids who are coaching now.

Pitino, Saunders, Zimmer, Kubiak, Gardenhire, Bickerstaff, Musselman, Turner, the list goes on and on.

Does Coyle do this on his own or can we hope he consults with former Gophers that choose to live here after their playing days?
If I am the AD, before I start calling coaches, I get Trent Tucker, Damian Johnson, Trevor Mbakwe, Kendall Shell, Blake Hoffarber, Jamal Abu Shamala and some of the others that I can't remember right now, all in a room and have a discussion. Get Ben Johnson on the call too, just in case he wants to come back on the staff. Jarvis Johnson and Dre Hollins might be too close to the situation, but would have some insights worth listening to also.

I have been a Niko Medved fan, but I like the Dutcher with a 5+ year contract and Ben Johnson as the heir apparent assistant. Dutcher seemed to have that plan at San Diego, so he should know how to deal with his successor on staff.
bonus to that would be having Jim around town and on the local radio stations more. He is still sharp and full of knowledge about the college game

I di
You caught me in the moment. For a time there I was a Freshman in the student section. But this is not something that can be repeated. It's like a remake of a classic movie which never meets expectations. Musselman's not going to bring that back as he's also not going to wear those ugly plaid flare pants and wide collar jacket his dad wore. Just Sayin'

I disagree, put a winning product on the court and see what happens, people will come in droves. It's just been so dam long since this program has taken a step forward, it wears on a guy. The only division 1 basketball team in the state and we can't put up a decent product. Richard Pitino has to go, he is not getting the job done, Gezzzzzzzzzzzzzz look at all the in state talent that has gone elsewhere to play. if he would have gotten just a few of those guys who knows, the next one to leave and play somewhere else is Chet Holmgren, what the hell!! I also like the prospect of Eric Musselman as the head coach but I don't know if he would come here.

Does Coyle do this on his own or can we hope he consults with former Gophers that choose to live here after their playing days?
If I am the AD, before I start calling coaches, I get Trent Tucker, Damian Johnson, Trevor Mbakwe, Kendall Shell, Blake Hoffarber, Jamal Abu Shamala and some of the others that I can't remember right now, all in a room and have a discussion. Get Ben Johnson on the call too, just in case he wants to come back on the staff. Jarvis Johnson and Dre Hollins might be too close to the situation, but would have some insights worth listening to also.

I have been a Niko Medved fan, but I like the Dutcher with a 5+ year contract and Ben Johnson as the heir apparent assistant. Dutcher seemed to have that plan at San Diego, so he should know how to deal with his successor on staff.
bonus to that would be having Jim around town and on the local radio stations more. He is still sharp and full of knowledge about the college game
I'm all for Ben Johnson being on the staff of whoever the next coach is. But I think that Dutcher needing a "coach in waiting" is silly. He could easily be here 10 years.

Decided to look up how we compare to Wisconsin for the 5 and 4 stars recruits since internet era (2000 according to 247). It was very interesting when you see the talent they have gotten relative to the success of their teams.

5 stars: WI 2 MN 1

4 stars: WI 15 MN 12

So WI landed 1 extra 5 star and 3 extra 4 stars.

Should 4 extra players equate to such a massive difference in team success?
Hmmm.......BADGER said MN has recruited better than WI.

Hmmm.......BADGER said MN has recruited better than WI.
Now your lying again. My exact words are in the posts. From 2013 to now we recruited better than UW and UVA some years, worse others and comparable others. Does not matter, they evaluate better and develop better and play defense. Back to stalking and lying.

Coyle seems to hire coaches on his own just fine. Also Ben’s a good dude, but why do you think he’s an up and comer and great coach? He was on a staff that missed on a ton of MN recruits and that didn’t play defense too. I get Pitino is the main culprit of that most likely but not like Xavier has been tearing it up since he went there?

Why is there always a obsession with Minnesota connections, talking to former players, having former players on staff. It is not like they won big but yet they will help hire or work on staff.

I get hoping that a connection will help you get someone you normally maybe wouldn’t, but I’m with you on some of the names being dropped on here.

We need a coach that cheats. It’s the only times we’ve been relevant.

When we get a coach there really isn’t a player on this roster other than Robbins that it would be a big deal if they left. That’s assuming Carr goes pro

Musselman would wear the maroon and golf striped pants of his dad’s!

Didn't want to start a new thread, but the roster turnover that is necessary after this year is glaring and that really weighs on me in this coaching search. We're going to need to find a bunch of players this Spring. I worry about guys who have not coached at a high major making big mistakes here and/or not having the contacts necessary to find enough guys who can play. I'll say it again that I don't think it's likely we can get Musselman because guys just don't leave power 5 for power 5 very often anymore, BUT the situation we're in is perfect for him. He's great with transfers and roster changes.

Top Bottom