Next Gopher Head Coach

Pitino has had no plan and he does not know how to build a program. I would hire anybody, that is how bad I think he is. Look at his record and look at the decisions he has made over the past 8 years.

In terms of relationships the first thing he did when he arrived was alienate the HS coaches association. He is not a relationship builder. He get's out worked because he's never had to work his entire life.

I think you have a fair argument regarding Pitinos relationship with MND1, but how’d he alienate the HS coaches association right away? If you feel Pitino alienated them then what type of relationship do you think Tubby had with them?
Plenty to rip Pitino for, just don’t think that is a major part. I’d agree in a lack of establishing a culture and style of play as great evidence for not building a program for sure.

Maybe he is on the list and Coyle will have his options. There just seems to be a little bit of a hunch with the Cleveland State guy. Greg Flugaur is a guy on Twitter that is pretty tied in and gets information. His list of candidates is:

Medved
Smith
Gates
Anderson

That makes be believe that Coyle already knows where he will be looking and who is realistic.
I see Greg Flugaur says the list has grown to seven names. He's going to post an update elsewhere at noon today, in case anyone has access and would like to report back. ;)

I see Greg Flugaur says the list has grown to seven names. He's going to post an update elsewhere at noon today, in case anyone has access and would like to report back. ;)
I just read Eric Musselman's bio. No doubt he's the best thing that could happen to our dead basketball program. Fleck & Musselman. What a winning combination. Fans would absolutely love it.
I think this is the Home Run Combo for Coyle. Not sure it can happen as Arkansas might be willing to pay.

I thought of another name since Tim Miles has been brought up a few times...what about Tom Crean? Didn't work out at Indiana but he went to the final 4 with Marquette.

San Diego St easily handles Boise last night, in SD. Rematch tomorrow.

Utah St gets a tough Nevada squad at home tonight.

I just read Eric Musselman's bio. No doubt he's the best thing that could happen to our dead basketball program. Fleck & Musselman. What a winning combination. Fans would absolutely love it.
Muss isnt happening, last year was the year to make it happen if it was ever going to.

Can someone provide a good reason why a Musselman type coach would come here? What makes Minnesota an attractive job?

I'd be happy with Dutcher or Musselman, but I think people way overrate the "dad" angle. Sometimes a man likes to walk his own path in life and not step in his father's footprints.

San Diego St easily handles Boise last night, in SD. Rematch tomorrow.

Utah St gets a tough Nevada squad at home tonight.

SDSU-Boise went to OT, so I don't know how you say they "easily handled" them. It was a dominant OT for sure.

I think at this point I don't want anyone who has a famous dad. Niko is my guy!

SDSU-Boise went to OT, so I don't know how you say they "easily handled" them. It was a dominant OT for sure.
I did not look at the game, at all. I lazily looked at the score.

Seems odd that a game that goes to OT, would then be lost by 12? But, it happens I guess.

I thought of another name since Tim Miles has been brought up a few times...what about Tom Crean? Didn't work out at Indiana but he went to the final 4 with Marquette.
Minnesota doesn't get good enough recruits to "crean" them.

Can someone provide a good reason why a Musselman type coach would come here? What makes Minnesota an attractive job?

The only thing attractive about it is that it is in the best basketball conference in the country. That and I suppose you could point to the ever increasing quality of recruits from our state.

Other than that, our fan base is apathetic, haven't won for nearly 25 years, and it's cold as hell with a University sitting the middle of an area now known for lawlessness and political upheavel.

I can tell you why Musselman might.

His dad coached the Gophers and the Timberwolves. He grew up around Minnesota basketball.

He has posted about finding his Dad's famous warmup routine which was a staple at Gopher game in the mid 70's. He even employed it at Nevada!

He has also used "RTB" to encourage his current team. He clearly is linked to Minnesota.

And if we could get him, we should.

I can tell you why Musselman might.

His dad coached the Gophers and the Timberwolves. He grew up around Minnesota basketball.

He has posted about finding his Dad's famous warmup routine which was a staple at Gopher game in the mid 70's. He even employed it at Nevada!

He has also used "RTB" to encourage his current team. He clearly is linked to Minnesota.

And if we could get him, we should.
I think that there are more than a few boosters who might throw into the pot to get him....

I can sell it, and if I can sell it, Coyle can sell it.
  • Big Ten. Enough said. The best conference in the country and the best coaching fraternity in the country. The chance to be considered the best of the best.
  • A great city to live in and raise children in. Ask the Pitinos. Ask the Flecks. Ask any of the 2.5-plus million people who choose to call this their home.
  • A unique combination of one of the consensus best basketball venues in the country and new, top-notch training facilities.
  • One of only two D1 programs in the state, which has been producing more and more basketball talent all the time. The right coach would be a hungry wolf in a field of sheep.

I can sell it, and if I can sell it, Coyle can sell it.
  • Big Ten. Enough said. The best conference in the country and the best coaching fraternity in the country. The chance to be considered the best of the best.
  • A great city to live in and raise children in. Ask the Pitinos. Ask the Flecks. Ask any of the 2.5-plus million people who choose to call this their home.
  • A unique combination of one of the consensus best basketball venues in the country and new, top-notch training facilities.
  • One of only two D1 programs in the state, which has been producing more and more basketball talent all the time. The right coach would be a hungry wolf in a field of sheep.
Also.....

an easy act to follow

The only thing attractive about it is that it is in the best basketball conference in the country. That and I suppose you could point to the ever increasing quality of recruits from our state.

Other than that, our fan base is apathetic, haven't won for nearly 25 years, and it's cold as hell with a University sitting the middle of an area now known for lawlessness and political upheavel.
Wow - do you live here? There is a lot more to "sell" than that. Get to live in one of the top metropolitan areas in the country, rather than a college town. Great restaurants. Great music. Great recruiting base. Amazing fan base that will rally with any sign of a pulse. One of the top budgets in the country (see people whining about this all the time, but with the Big Ten Network and simply being a Power 5 program there is a great budget). Great place to live - just look at all the former Gophers, Vikings, TWolves, etc that live here after their career ends. Airline hub.

This isn't just to your reply which I more or less agree with but for everyone else:

I'm not confident at all. Minnesota is a shit job.

I did not look at the game, at all. I lazily looked at the score.

Seems odd that a game that goes to OT, would then be lost by 12? But, it happens I guess.

Weird game. SDSU dominated the first half, BSU dominated the second half, SDSU dominated the OT. It was like 3 mini games.

Weird game. SDSU dominated the first half, BSU dominated the second half, SDSU dominated the OT. It was like 3 mini games.
Very interested in Utah St tonight. They dropped both to Boise, though they were much better games until the very end.

What about Tom Crean?

Crean is currently in year three of a six-year deal at Georgia paying him $3.2 million/year. If he left after this season, he would owe Georgia a $3.6 million buyout.

So, highly doubtful.

Top Bottom