Next Gopher Head Coach

Colorado State at Wyoming (2nd match of the series - rivalry) on right now on CBS Sports Network channel.

CSU up 24-8 currently.

Really like this Roddy guy CSU has. Would be interesting to see him play in the Big Ten, if Medved is the choice.

Really like this Roddy guy CSU has. Would be interesting to see him play in the Big Ten, if Medved is the choice.
Really impressive young man. Chose to stay at Breck for the academics instead of rolling over to the the basketball powers.

I'd be good with any of the names we've listed: Smith, Medved, Dutcher. I don't think Beilein is realistic. I really like the guy at Drake but I don't know how realistic that is. I have no idea on that Smart from Canadien basketball but his history there is ridiculously good.

I do feel as though it could easily end up being somebody that we haven't mentioned or will not mention. I've faith in Coyle that he'll find the guy.

I’m not even asking for nba talent. I want a guy the joins as a freshman and when he’s a junior he’s an all big ten player. I just feel like he doesn’t get people to improve when they are there. Whether that’s him, other coaches, having too nice of a faculty, I just don’t know.
Jordan Murphy, Nate Mason. I have been on the fire Pitino train for 2 years, but to say no players have gotten any better is silly. Even if they receive no coaching in 4 years, plenty of players will get better due to maturity, strength and conditioning, and practice time.

I wonder if Scott Nagy is worth a look. He stayed at SDSU too long and is 55. But he's really got Wright State rolling. He doesn't strike me as a dynamic recruiter, but he can clearly coach.

Jordan Murphy, Nate Mason. I have been on the fire Pitino train for 2 years, but to say no players have gotten any better is silly. Even if they receive no coaching in 4 years, plenty of players will get better due to maturity, strength and conditioning, and practice time.
He also got Mo Walker to drop like 50 pounds and play much better his senior year. I was very impresse with Pitino in year 1. Years 6-8? Not so much.

First you say that had not Lynch and Coffee being out Pitino likely had a sweet 16 team then say Pitino is not the guy. Which is it?. It can't be both. Are you saying those two being out was his fault?
That team had potential. Having one sweet 16 caliber team in 8 years isn't good enough. Especially when some of the other years are complete train wrecks. Pitino has not been able to get the train back on the track after it was derailed. Neither could Tubby. It's time to move on.

I wonder if Scott Nagy is worth a look. He stayed at SDSU too long and is 55. But he's really got Wright State rolling. He doesn't strike me as a dynamic recruiter, but he can clearly coach.
I've always been impressed with Nagy--from the time his teams came into Williams Arena and played like they knew what they were doing out there. He'd be a marked upgrade from Pitino coaching-wise for sure...but at this point it's not a matter of who'd be an upgrade, but what's the best choice among what looks like an impressive field of available talent. This is a good point in history to make a hire from that standpoint.

Really impressive young man. Chose to stay at Breck for the academics instead of rolling over to the the basketball powers.
Right. Still 2019 top boys high school athlete in the state. Could've played DI football or basketball for mid-majors, and probably walked-on for either Pitino or Fleck.

And maybe he'll come here yet.

With the new transfer rules, we basically become Colorado State/Utah State, right? :cool:
Pretty much setting up to be Utah St vs Colorado St for the MWC title, and the first right of refusal to be Minnesota's next head coach.

Boise lost by 2 at Nevada on Friday, play the second match today. So Boise may be a pretender, or perhaps Nevada will be coming on strong. They end their regular season at Colorado St and then home vs Utah St. San Diego still in the mix as well.

Colo St won last night, but by much closer than I figured it would be. Wyo closed it almost all the way later in the 2nd. But it's their top rivalry match, so no surprise.

Utah St's second game vs Fresno got postponed.

Right. Still 2019 top boys high school athlete in the state. Could've played DI football or basketball for mid-majors, and probably walked-on for either Pitino or Fleck.

Likely even better at football. Maybe he will come here. Suppose if that staff did he would come along. Not thinking that staff comes here as I think Pitino will be here.

We offered Roddy for basketball for sure and it was commitable. Wanted to play right away and Niko and staff were on him early.

I think both Medved and Smith have some interesting pieces that they could tote with them here to Mpls. Just makes that all the more intriguing.

Roddy already looks like Jordan Murphy.

How about Tim Miles, Minnesota is a much better job than Nebraska, he was successful at Colorado State.

How about Tim Miles, Minnesota is a much better job than Nebraska, he was successful at Colorado State.

Craig Smith was with Miles at Colorado State and the first two seasons at Nebraska. Smith took the USD job after the only year Nebraska made the tournament under Miles.

I'd rather give Smith a shot over Miles.

I've always been a big booster of his. What we're finding out now is how tough it is to win in Lincoln. Hoiberg is a very good coach and program builder.

I've always been a big booster of his. What we're finding out now is how tough it is to win in Lincoln. Hoiberg is a very good coach and program builder.
Hoiberg is 51-62 in conference, has not won anything and does short stop transfer building, nothing sustainable.

Even if we make a run to the sweet 16 i think Richard has to go.

No. I am saying it with the maroon hope that we finish with only one more loss.
OK. You're usually plugged in though, so thought you were saying you had heard that it was known he was not going to be let go this year, or something like that.

OK. You're usually plugged in though, so thought you were saying you had heard that it was known he was not going to be let go this year, or something like that.
not that plugged in and I have not heard he will be let go after this year. I did hear that if not for cover last year they would have made the move.

And then we got all these incredible transfers and everyone was like "final four baby!"

And then Pitino......

I am becoming more skeptical about Dutcher as compared to Medved and Smith as I think more about this. Medved and Smith proven they can create/build their own program and each has done it more than once. Dutcher has not.

I'm leaning more towards Smith over Medved but I really like both of their track records when you look at where they've been and what they've done.

not that plugged in and I have not heard he will be let go after this year. I did hear that if not for cover last year they would have made the move.

I think more than the economics of COVID possibly keeping Pitino alive after this year, is factor of no fans due to COVID. It is easier to pretend that the fanbase is still behind Pitino if you don't see 9,000 people at Williams with dead atmosphere for a game like tonight.

Top Bottom