Next Gopher Head Coach

If we make it to the sweet 16 which is farther than we've been in 30 years I'll likely forget the 3 game skid in Jan/Feb and be happy with the team and coach.
This is some pretty shallow logic.

He should be considered based on his 8 year history, and the likelihood of good performance in the future.

Neither 3 games in January, or a 2 game run in March should be solely considered.

He should be considered based on his 8 year history, and the likelihood of good performance in the future.

Neither 3 games in January, or a 2 game run in March should be solely considered.
Forde is very tight with Rick Pitino from the LOUISVILLE era.

Well, Pat Forde did some research...21 coaches with uncomfortable situations...Richard isn’t on the list.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...a-basketball-john-calipari-jim-boeheim-status
If the Gophers get into the tournament...I don’t think he’ll get fired.
Which is different than have I seen enough to think he’s the answer.

The Gophers fired Tubby Smith after winning more in two less seasons than Pitino, and right after winning a game in the NCAA tournament. And I still agree that was the right move.

After 8 seasons we know what we have in Pitino. It's not good enough.

The Gophers fired Tubby Smith after winning more in two less seasons than Pitino, and right after winning a game in the NCAA tournament. And I still agree that was the right move.

Pitino hasn't hired his son as an assistant coach yet and had that assistant coach get a DUI.

I don't even think that's possible.

Your mom is some pretty shallow logic.

So if Coyle still refuses to pull the trigger does that change your opinion of him?

So if Coyle still refuses to pull the trigger does that change your opinion of him?

Yes. Changes my opinion of the entire athletic department. Of the “major” sports Pitino is the only coach I don’t have faith in.

Fleck, Motzko, Whalen, Hugh, Frost are all I coaches I believe in. Baseballand softball seem to be in good hands. Wrestling needs a new coach.

men’s basketball is a cornerstone of athletic departments and ours is crumbling.

If he were fired from Texas, you think he could do a better job here?
Is his seat hot? He's had a top 10 team national almost all year and they played short handed due to COVID in at least one loss.

Is his seat hot? He's had a top 10 team national almost all year and they played short handed due to COVID in at least one loss.
I have no idea. Just responding to his post.

At this point, I'd probably be okay/somewhat excited with a change. I think I have felt with all the budget cuts due to COVID that it was unlikely to happen after this season, so I've been wanting and hoping for the best season possible (as always). I was pretty excited after the early Big Ten wins over good teams. This rough stretch definitely has me a bit down, but I am still holding out hope that we can finish in strong fashion. If we defend our home court the rest of the way, we are going to end up with 7-8 ranked wins on the year. We will definitely make the tournament in that scenario.

That said, someone said last night that Coyle had the balls to make a move on Claeys after a 9-win year, so maybe even if we make the tournament with a .500ish Big Ten record, the AD could make a change. I guess we'll see when we get there. I'll be cheering for wins and a tourney run until then though.

Not any more. A year ago, we had a shot at him. That's dead now.

These are the names I saw from a friend that will be the top 4 if Pitino doesn't finish strong.

Craig Smith Utah State and South Dakota
Dennis Gates Cleveland State. (11-21 year 1 and 15-6 (15-3) this year
Anthony Grant Dayton (VCU, Alabama, Dayton)
Niko Medved (Furman, Drake, Colorado State)

These are the names I saw from a friend that will be the top 4 if Pitino doesn't finish strong.

Is this friend connected? Better yet, is he the shoeshine guy from Police Squad?

The only guy on that list that doesn't excite me is Grant. I'm sure he's a fine coach, but he feels like a retread to me. I have to admit favoring the guys with local ties. They're the most likely to stick around for a long time if all goes well.

That's a solid and reasonable list. I don't know if we could get Grant, but I do feel we could get the others. Gates is an interesting one to watch. Came as an assistant under Leonard Hamilton who's severely underrated as a coach. Besides that I don't know much about him.

Wouldn't want a coach from Cleveland State, those guys are always being violated by the NCAA.

Agree on Smith and Medved. Not sure what to think of Grant. He wasn't a total disaster at Alabama, but it was Pitino-esque. The Cleveland State guy would be down the list a ways. Much rather have Dutcher than him. And I think you have to at least start with a run at both Belein and Musselman.

Agree on Smith and Medved. Not sure what to think of Grant. He wasn't a total disaster at Alabama, but it was Pitino-esque. The Cleveland State guy would be down the list a ways. Much rather have Dutcher than him. And I think you have to at least start with a run at both Belein and Musselman.
Musselman isn't realistic. I don't see them paying $1.5 to buy him out and pay Pitino to leave. Belein would be good, but I'm not convinced he's all in anymore. Might be a Tubby Hire.

I would take any of the three except Grant. Cleveland State guy could be a diamond or another Pitino. He has a lot of assistant experience, but is only in 2nd year of HC experience.

Is this friend connected? Better yet, is he the shoeshine guy from Police Squad?

The only guy on that list that doesn't excite me is Grant. I'm sure he's a fine coach, but he feels like a retread to me. I have to admit favoring the guys with local ties. They're the most likely to stick around for a long time if all goes well.
A local guy might also be able to land some of the local talent leaving the state. I know the arguments and yes, we can find other ballers just as good from other states. Landing the local talent brings together the whole state behind the U and would play into attendance as well.

Names that have been bounced here except the Cleveland St coach.

I still would have Grant at the top of the list. Though I am starting to find Craig Smith more interesting.

Utah St with a big game tonight against Boise St. Will be flipping back and forth from the Gopher’s game to CBSSN to catch some of that.

Top Bottom