Next Gopher Head Coach

Point taken, though. Still plenty of chances for wins. These games are going to determine the team's ultimate standing: at Nebraska; home against Purdue and Rutgers.
Is the game at Nebraska being re-scheduled?

Definitely think Richard would be disappointed to open his domicile door and see me. However, to my credit do feel i bring an engaging smile and legs that are worth a second look. The facial hair might be a problem.

After this season, will have made the dance 3 out of 5 seasons. Would have been 4 out of 5 if not for the injuries and also losing lynch in 17-18. If you get some time, check out how many tourney wins other big ten teams have the last 4 seasons. Coach Pitino does a nice job of growing a team throughout the season. Saw a lot of good things last night to build on despite the loss. Am excited about what the rest of the season has in store.
I'll bite...up until the last few minutes you'd be crazy if you said the team wasn't playing with a different intensity than they did the previous two games. They battled back from being down 9-0 but Rutgers forced some ugly possessions, scored down the stretch (a few I would say we couldn't have guarded much better), and made their free throws at a much higher % than usual. The gophers lost and its disappointing, but they went down fighting. Hats off to Rutgers they are a good team.

Weve gone down fighting a lot. The losses are building up for Richy pitino in big ten play. its really bad. REALLY BAD

I'll bite...up until the last few minutes you'd be crazy if you said the team wasn't playing with a different intensity than they did the previous two games. They battled back from being down 9-0 but Rutgers forced some ugly possessions, scored down the stretch (a few I would say we couldn't have guarded much better), and made their free throws at a much higher % than usual. The gophers lost and its disappointing, but they went down fighting. Hats off to Rutgers they are a good team.

Mrs. Pitino? :)

Weve gone down fighting a lot. The losses are building up for Richy pitino in big ten play. its really bad. REALLY BAD
Agree...down fighting a lot the last few seasons...this year rolling over and dying mostly. Last night was a fun game to watch up until the last few minutes. Not disagreeing with anyone on if its time to move on just mentioning that they played harder.

We're 1-5 since January 3rd and you're telling us how he's doing a nice job growing through the season and we finish strong.....

Surely January is the middle of the season. We still have 40% of the conference slate to go, plus however many BTT games we play.

What does Matta do for people? I guess I dont see it. Fell off later in his OSU days and hasnt coached for a few years. He had a couple really nice seasons but im not sure he gets the Oden/Conley/Sullinger caliber guys here. He is one of the ones mentioned here that I personally dont see as a great fit. Additionally, guessing he would want more money than others which im going to assume is going to be a factor.
Winning record in conference play in 16/17 seasons as head coach. Not all at Ohio state.
8 conference titles in 17 seasons in three different conferences at 3 different schools.

elite 8 at two different schools
Second round at three different schools
Second round or better in 11/17 seasons at three different schools
66% winning percentage in the big ten.

His worst two seasons as a head coach were when he had serious health problems and his second worst season would be pitino’s second best season and tubby’s best season in conference play (over .500)

I think that’s what Mattdoes for people

Great point! I have no idea why Coffey and Oturu didn't submit to the NBA draft directly out of high school.
You can’t coach height and athletic ability. Coffey went undrafted, so let’s not throw a parade for him. Plus it might have helped his dad was also a pro player.

Let’s assume on average the roster has 14 players a year on it. Let’s also assume 3 guys leave per year. That’s roughly 50 players that have been associated with the gophers while richard has been head coach. And the number is problem low, but way to point out 2 of them that I would argue would have been nba players regardless of where they played college.

You can’t coach height and athletic ability. Coffey went undrafted, so let’s not throw a parade for him. Plus it might have helped his dad was also a pro player.

Let’s assume on average the roster has 14 players a year on it. Let’s also assume 3 guys leave per year. That’s roughly 50 players that have been associated with the gophers while richard has been head coach. And the number is problem low, but way to point out 2 of them that I would argue would have been nba players regardless of where they played college.
I feel like I need to post this periodically. Clem Haskins averaged producing one NBA player per year during his Minnesota tenure. Of course that includes someone like Trevor Winter, who only had a cup of coffee in the League, but that's still better than never getting there.

That's a testament to his combination of talent evaluation, recruiting, and player development. If he can do that then, what can the right person do now with more HS talent being produced in the upper Midwest?

I feel like I need to post this periodically. Clem Haskins averaged producing one NBA player per year during his Minnesota tenure. Of course that includes someone like Trevor Winter, who only had a cup of coffee in the League, but that's still better than never getting there.

That's a testament to his combination of talent evaluation, recruiting, and player development. If he can do that then, what can the right person do now with more HS talent being produced in the upper Midwest?
I’m not even asking for nba talent. I want a guy the joins as a freshman and when he’s a junior he’s an all big ten player. I just feel like he doesn’t get people to improve when they are there. Whether that’s him, other coaches, having too nice of a faculty, I just don’t know.

I mean I'd rather have a coach that has a good team than a coach that gets guys into the NBA if its one or the other. Look at teams like Georgia or Washington recently. I'm sure there are other examples as well but I'm lazy to research. Put some guys into the NBA at HIGH picks and they suuuuuck. They sucked with those guys in most cases.

Is this English?

The thing is what people might not get is that Clem Haskins was an excellent basketball coach. The U completely ruined the basketball program here when they didn't stand behind him. That was the day this program was done. They have never recovered.

I agree though. The talent right in our own backyard is now very good. Just look at what the Big Ten has been the last few years. There is more basketball talent in the Midwest than ever before.

The thing is what people might not get is that Clem Haskins was an excellent basketball coach. The U completely ruined the basketball program here when they didn't stand behind him. That was the day this program was done. They have never recovered.

I agree though. The talent right in our own backyard is now very good. Just look at what the Big Ten has been the last few years. There is more basketball talent in the Midwest than ever before.
They should have stood behind him? Sorry, he deserved to be fired. It wasn't even remotely a close call.

Tubby nearly had it recovered. If Royce/Trevor don't get suspended in 2009/2010 that might have been a Sweet 16 team and changed his whole tenure. Perhaps the same for Richard and the 2017/2018 team with Reggie Lynch and then injuries to Coffey.

But it is what it is. This job is not as God awful as some here make it seem. The right coach can win here. Richard has been given enough chances. He's not that guy.

He's doing a really really good job. Pacific isn't a good job and the conference is tougher than people give it credit for. I think he's first in line for Zona once they can move off Miller.
GREAT POST. That is his dream job.

His health willing, I would be giddy if we got Matta. Did you know that the nickname of his high school in Hoopeston, IL is the Cornjerkers? I guess we know what the pastime in that small town was.
Incredible coach, serious health problems. Believe he has the 2nd highest winning % in Big 10 history. He would build a winner anywhere.

We'll see where the season ends. We are likely an 8 or 9 seed which i am happy with at this point. Could very well get on a hot streak coming up here and improve our seed. In 16-17 and 18-19 we were playing our best at season's end so have a history as well of finishing strong.
Look at the whole history of how seasons ended and total them up. Just do the last 5 conference games each year.

Clem was under .500 in the conference and cheated to win what he did.

Great coach. Best we have had in this program since the time I have been watching.

I really don't care to be honest if they wrote players papers. Every high level college ball player has this kind of stuff done for them, and if any of you think different, you haven't been around it much.

UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Syracuse, Ohio State, UConn, Duke

What do all of these have in common? They have cheated or been accused of it plenty. Never have they done much of anything to punish their program or coaches the way we did.

What else do they have in common? Winning, National titles, conference titles etc.

Probably the right call to let him go. But the hypocrisy accross the basketball world on this is stunning. And it is a fact that since that happened, this program has been mediocre to bad and never a real threat in the Big Ten.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The
Century

Great coach. Best we have had in this program since the time I have been watching.

I really don't care to be honest if they wrote players papers. Every high level college ball player has this kind of stuff done for them, and if any of you think different, you haven't been around it much.

What do all of these have in common? They have cheated or been accused of it plenty. Never have they done much of anything to punish their program or coaches the way we did.

What else do they have in common? Winning, National titles, conference titles etc.

Probably the right call to let him go. But the hypocrisy accross the basketball world on this is stunning. And it is a fact that since that happened, this program has been mediocre to bad and never a real threat in the Big Ten.
I have been in it for 60 years and not everyone does it. Tons of players, star players are extremely gifted students and great players that won conference titles and national titles. There are schools that do not allow it and coaches that do not allow it. They pursue those types of players. A relative of mine played at one of them as a high school valedictorian and said it was very rigorous . Because some, even many cheat does not mean they all do.

A tutor writing papers isn't a huge deal. But Clem had the chance to fall on the sword when he found out. He might have survived that. Instead he chose to cover it up, pay her off and then lie when asked about it. No school would have kept him after that. Get real.

We need to find a good pay for play coach. Daddy didn't teach Jr enough in this regard...

They should have stood behind him? Sorry, he deserved to be fired. It wasn't even remotely a close call.

Tubby nearly had it recovered. If Royce/Trevor don't get suspended in 2009/2010 that might have been a Sweet 16 team and changed his whole tenure. Perhaps the same for Richard and the 2017/2018 team with Reggie Lynch and then injuries to Coffey.

But it is what it is. This job is not as God awful as some here make it seem. The right coach can win here. Richard has been given enough chances. He's not that guy.
First you say that had not Lynch and Coffee being out Pitino likely had a sweet 16 team then say Pitino is not the guy. Which is it?. It can't be both. Are you saying those two being out was his fault?

Top Bottom