Next Gopher Head Coach

The Gophers fired Tubby Smith after winning more in two less seasons than Pitino, and right after winning a game in the NCAA tournament. And I still agree that was the right move.

I honestly don't think it was. It was if they had someone in the hopper, but to have to reach like they did with Pitino tells me they didn't. They should have ridden Tubby out until they had someone in their sights that had a good chance at coming here. Also, firing a coach after winning a tourney game doesn't look good from the outside.

Names that have been bounced here except the Cleveland St coach.

I still would have Grant at the top of the list. Though I am starting to find Craig Smith more interesting.

Utah St with a big game tonight against Boise St. Will be flipping back and forth from the Gopher’s game to CBSSN to catch some of that.
I like Medved and Smith because they win everywhere they go.

I honestly don't think it was. It was if they had someone in the hopper, but to have to reach like they did with Pitino tells me they didn't. They should have ridden Tubby out until they had someone in their sights that had a good chance at coming here. Also, firing a coach after winning a tourney game doesn't look good from the outside.

I think Norwood overvalued himself and thought he could get his villa 7 guys. He obviously didn't have his value of connections correct.

Craig Smith or bust. Three stops and has won at each place. Sign me up. Being a local guy and currently at a MW school, would seem like he'd be easy to get.

I really f'n hate not having any real hope for the future for this program. If you're not going to win, at least have something/somebody you can have future hope for.

I am not gonna act like I’m an expert on this topic, but a name that I’m interested in would be Porter Moser of Loyola Chicago if we get a new coach. He led their team to a final four, has a great squad this year and coaches at a mid major in the heart of big ten territory so he should be familiar with the Midwest for recruiting. I haven’t heard his name mentioned at all so maybe he doesn’t wanna leave Loyola or is looking for a better gig than the U.

I am not gonna act like I’m an expert on this topic, but a name that I’m interested in would be Porter Moser of Loyola Chicago if we get a new coach. He led their team to a final four, has a great squad this year and coaches at a mid major in the heart of big ten territory so he should be familiar with the Midwest for recruiting. I haven’t heard his name mentioned at all so maybe he doesn’t wanna leave Loyola or is looking for a better gig than the U.
I don't know enough about him but would be interested in giving it a thought. The final 4 year is the only year they have made the tournament but a final 4 is a final 4.

Tubby's last two recruiting classes were Charles Buggs, Wally Ellenson, Alvin Ellis, and Alex Foster. He deserved to be fired just for that. We were going to be very bad, very quickly if Tubby kept his job.

Pitino's best coaching job was in year 1 when they won the NIT. He had the really bad year 3, then assembled his best teams for years 4 and 5. Much like Tubby in year 3, Pitino had a team in year 5 that could have gone deep into the tournament. Both of those teams ran into a bunch of bad luck, and neither coach really recovered after.

Tubby's last two recruiting classes were Charles Buggs, Wally Ellenson, Alvin Ellis, and Alex Foster. He deserved to be fired just for that. We were going to be very bad, very quickly if Tubby kept his job.

Pitino's best coaching job was in year 1 when they won the NIT. He had the really bad year 3, then assembled his best teams for years 4 and 5. Much like Tubby in year 3, Pitino had a team in year 5 that could have gone deep into the tournament. Both of those teams ran into a bunch of bad luck, and neither coach really recovered after.
It was time for Tubby to go. He had checked out on the recruiting front. The thing with Pitino was he was a high risk high reward type of hire. He was young, had worked with some of the best coaches around, and had a familiar name. If we didn't hire him someone would have.

Pitino has gotten personnel in place here that I think could have brought success. Amir Coffey, Daniel Oturu, Nate Mason, Jordan Murphy, Marcus Carr, etc. These teams should have been better than they were but it just hasn't worked out.

It all came out that Teague with the issue. He was a fraud. He probably was never going to have someone in the hopper.

Don't forget two unfilled scholarships. Different situation now because we have no clue how many spots we'll have to fill, but I'll be shocked if it's less than 3 more.

I would take him no question and feel real good about it.

My list....
1a Dave Joerger, not sure if he would be interested but kids love the NBA connections
1b Eric Musselman, see above

3 Craig Smith, Nico Medved, Brian Dutcher group

Probably doesn't fully eliminate Smith from being our next guy but sure sounds like he likes it out in Utah.
ZZZ. Many coaches have signed extensions and taken new jobs weeks later. Sometimes days.

ZZZ. Many coaches have signed extensions and taken new jobs weeks later. Sometimes days.
This. He has zero reason not to sign it. Even if he has an increased buyout, he knows that if he’s good enough, somebody will pay it.

Smith is a dead ringer for my bald, right-wing cousin who skunked me in cornhole that one time.

Is Minnesota a better basketball school than Arkansas? Why do people think he would leave Arkansas for this job? Is is those "Minnesota connections?"

About the only thing that could save Pitino now is Chet Holmgren making a Jimmy Chitwood speech. "I play, Coach stays. He goes, I go."

Looks like it would cost $775,000 to buy out the new deal for Smith. That isn't going to likely stop the Gophers if he is deemed the guy.

I will say, I think whoever the head coach is, I hope Dame Johnson and Thorson are on staff. Solid coaching in MN high school, know the area and have experience.

Top Bottom