Knuth No Longer with Team

I mean, based on everything we know about him, he most likely won't.

I don't mean to bash the kid, but if Kramer is ever playing significant snaps at QB that is not good.
I agree it's not good. Think it's manageable through game plan. Would be horrible if Sanford were here and not good with KC either. Not flexible enough. Until proven wrong I'm going to assume the new offensive brain trust can handle it.

A lot depends on how long extended means. A half, a game, or the last seven games? Big difference.

Chris Streveler did rather well after he left the Gophers. The same can be true of Jacob Knuth if he chooses wisely.

I agree it's not good. Think it's manageable through game plan. Would be horrible if Sanford were here and not good with KC either. Not flexible enough. Until proven wrong I'm going to assume the new offensive brain trust can handle it.

A lot depends on how long extended means. A half, a game, or the last seven games? Big difference.
I mean the reality is that most teams are in a rough spot if they lose their starting QB and the portal has made it even more likely that most teams will have an inexperienced backup.

Stockpiling QBs is not really an option anymore.

I mean he may not f things up in the sense that he won't turn the ball over a bunch, but if you need any semblance of a passing game, Kramer is not going to provide that.

Says who?

I mean, based on everything we know about him, he most likely won't.

I don't mean to bash the kid, but if Kramer is ever playing significant snaps at QB that is not good.

How do you know?

Chris Streveler did rather well after he left the Gophers. The same can be true of Jacob Knuth if he chooses wisely.
Gets lucky ...

I don't know that any player has much info they can derive much at all from about prospective outcomes and how it will play out for them.

That's not a knock on Chris, just saying you really don't know.

Something off about this thread. Usually everyone is in love with the backup QB but in this case we seem to be dismissing the backup and lamenting the loss of the 3rd stringer.

The reality in all this is if Athan stays healthy it won't really matter who the backup is for multiple seasons so chances are by the time we need another QB the other guys in the QB room will have changed significantly from where they are right now anyway.

Best case scenario all the QBs that get recruited are willing to work and wait for their shot. That just isn't really how it works anymore with the portal and the free transfer.

Yeah I don't know why everyone is assuming he can't throw. I certainly haven't seen enough of him to make that judgment. AK looked brutal his first couple games. I wouldn't judge Kramer from just a few passes he's thrown in mop-up duty.

Some posters are acting like Kramer is a linebacker gets reps at QB. Kramer obviously doesn't have the arm AK does (not many do), but he's serviceable. Tanner Morgan would be my comparison in terms of arm strength. Practice reports so far this season have Kramer looking really good, and making some big throws. Obviously you'd have to adjust the passing game some if AK is out, but you'd have to do that if Drew Viotto, or Jacob Knuth were under center as well. You can win a lot of games in the B1G with a veteran, game manager who doesn't commit turnovers. Iowa & Wisconsin do it seemingly every year.

Bad look for Knuth leaving in the middle of spring ball, IMO. Kramer isn’t really a B10 caliber QB he can caretake for a bit but nothing more than that. Glad to have him around but I’d hate to go into the teeth of the schedule with him under center. Hopefully, Votto or the legacy from Stillwater turn out to be ballers.
I prefer he leaves and give the reps to someone who wants to be here for the long haul.

Something off about this thread. Usually everyone is in love with the backup QB but in this case we seem to be dismissing the backup and lamenting the loss of the 3rd stringer.

The reality in all this is if Athan stays healthy it won't really matter who the backup is for multiple seasons so chances are by the time we need another QB the other guys in the QB room will have changed significantly from where they are right now anyway.

Best case scenario all the QBs that get recruited are willing to work and wait for their shot. That just isn't really how it works anymore with the portal and the free transfer.
Health is always an issue, that's why depth can be important.

We've had QB related injuries in multiple years in the Fleck era where the backup has had to come in for significant time.
2017: Rhoda/Croft split time (not injury related, I guess)
2018: Annexstad starts the season, is injured during Nebraska game, Morgan replaces him
2019: Morgan injured at end of Iowa game (unprepared Kramer finishes the game)
2020-2021: Morgan healthy through these seasons
2022: Morgan is in and out of the lineup with injuries, Kaliakmanis fills in, Kaliakmanis gets injured during bowl game

Could Athan stay healthy and the Gophers are fine? Sure. But the recency bias of the past season has some fans a bit nervous if the Greek Rifle goes down again.

Kramer sucks because he looked bad when asked to lead a 90 yard drive with 30 seconds left against Iowa two or three years ago. If only we still had Jacob Clark and his perfect bomb still, instead he is the backup at SW Missouri St or something…

We've had QB related injuries in multiple years in the Fleck era where the backup has had to come in for significant time.
2018: Annexstad starts the season, is injured during Nebraska game, Morgan replaces him
2022: Morgan is in and out of the lineup with injuries, Kaliakmanis fills in, Kaliakmanis gets injured during bowl game

Could Athan stay healthy and the Gophers are fine? Sure. But the recency bias of the past season has some fans a bit nervous if the Greek Rifle goes down again.
I get all that. I just think it is interesting that some are totally writing off Kramer as an option and lamenting the loss of the guy who was behind Kramer and potentially behind the guy behind Kramer according to some posts.

Perfect world you have a QB room stacked with viable options if the starter goes down ready to step in and run the team without missing a beat. You can probably count on one hand the number of teams that could actually say that about their QB room.

In his limited action here he hasn't made any decent downfield throws, and he couldn't really throw in HS. Maybe things have changed, but I find that unlikely. Maybe he will prove me wrong one day.
The high school comment might be a bad rap. I think his completion percentage was pretty good. Grant doesn't throw much so the numbers were not gaudy. But he got a Big Ten scholarship to play quarterback and was never asked to change positions.

Wow ... 2019 Iowa game. Morgan hurt and "unprepared" Kramer came in to finish the game .....

To refresh you, Kramer came in facing third down, about 20 seconds to play, and down five points ... from his own four-yard-line. He had two plays to win the game.

Unprepared? So was John Elway.

Tanner Morgan played football at the U five full years and missed a total of two plays at Iowa due to injury. The concussions came his sixth year.

I am just really surprised.

It wasn't until just now that I found out his name is pronounced with a hard "K". I had assumed wrongly.

The timing for many of these seems so weird. It’s not a surprise he was going to be a backup at best. If he wants to play, I get it. But why not transfer earlier so he can be in spring ball for his new team?
Not a good look for a QB to hold on to something too long, eh.

He landed one good one, Streveler.

Just refused to play him.
yes, the lying jackass said he couldnt throw and his hands were to fricking small. un fricking believable. But his running back he coined "Lightning in a bottle " that he redshirted then tried playing was a complete disaster like his tight end who he made qb.. lindner.

Gets lucky ...

I don't know that any player has much info they can derive much at all from about prospective outcomes and how it will play out for them.

That's not a knock on Chris, just saying you really don't know.
It is a gamble whether he stays or transfers.

IMHO, why not stick it out and secure a 4-year degree and take advantage of the developmental program? Transfer out as an upperclassman or a Grad QB more physically and mentally ready.

A lot of things can happen as a result of key injuries as we have seen with the RB Room. Opportunity knocks when you least expect it. Carpe diem.

Patience can be your best friend.

This is a little intellectually dishonest.

In Fleck's six seasons here, there have been two years that were impacted by any significant injury situation. 2018 and 2022.

2018 barely counts, as both guys had 0 career snaps prior to the season starting, so there was no issue of some experienced guy missing any significant time.

In the past four seasons under Fleck, there has been one guy (Morgan) make 41 starts and a second guy (Athan) make 5 starts. That's it. In today's day and age, that's quite amazing.

At one point, Tanner Morgan started 45 straight games over that past five seasons.

And prior to the 2017 (which we have already established no injury issues, just two QBs playing on a roster that was going through a coaching transition), Mitch Leidner started 37 of a possible 39 games, including 27 straight starts at one point.

So, removing 2017 from the equation - from 2014 through mid-2022, two Gopher QBs started 82 of a possible 84 games.

If anything, the stability the Gophers have enjoyed due to LACK of injury at the QB has me concerned we might be due for some issues.

Last edited:

In Fleck's six seasons here, there have been two years that were impacted by any significant injury situation. 2018 and 2022.

2018 barely counts, as both guys had 0 career snaps prior to the season starting, so there was no issue of some experienced guy missing any significant time.

In the past four seasons under Fleck, there has been one guy (Morgan) make 41 starts and a second guy (Athan) make 5 starts. That's it. In today's day and age, that's quite amazing.

At one point, Tanner Morgan started 45 straight games over that past five seasons.

And prior to the 2017 (which we have already established no injury issues, just two QBs playing on a roster that was going through a coaching transition), Mitch Leidner started 37 of a possible 39 games, including 27 straight starts at one point.

So, removing 2017 from the equation - from 2014 through mid-2022, two Gopher QBs started 82 of a possible 84 games.

If anything, the stability the Gophers have enjoyed due to LACK of injury at the QB has me concerned we might be due for some issues.
My point is that depth is a concern, as our top 2 QBs traded in and out due to injury at the end of last season.

Kind of makes my thought that the backup QB should get some game reps on occasion for PJ a bit less concerning. But, there is still those two games to worry about. :)

It might be wise to wait until the fall practices start to be enthused or despairing about the MN QB situation.
WI has a QB room that needs to be enlarged to fit all of them in.
Who knows what the situation will be when fall rolls around?

I mean the reality is that most teams are in a rough spot if they lose their starting QB and the portal has made it even more likely that most teams will have an inexperienced backup.

Stockpiling QBs is not really an option anymore.

Absolutely true. Maybe Ohio State can do that, but it isn't going to happen as much at Minnesota or Iowa. Let's see what happens with Wisconsin's QB room later on in the offseason.

This may be because Kaliakmanis hasn't really been the starter long enough to build up a large body of work which would be open to any and all fan criticism, unlike most starting QBs. On the other hand, the Gopher faithful actually have seen Kramer on the field in a Minnesota uniform. In Kramer's case, there may be a perception that he "can't throw" or "isn't much of a passer" based on the role he has played under Fleck as a wildcat QB (which is mainly a short-yardage situation runner). Also, someone pointed out that in his high school career Eden Prairie didn't throw the ball all that much. Not much tape of him flinging the football around.

Excellent point, very true.

Again, very true.

Last edited:

This may be because Athan hasn't really been the starter long enough to build up a large body of work that would be open to any and all fan criticism. On the other hand, the fans actually have seen Kramer on the field in a Minnesota uniform. In his case, there may be a perception that he "can't throw" or "isn't much of a passer" based on the role he played as a wildcat QB (mainly, a short-yardage situation runner). Also, someone pointed out that in his high school career Eden Prairie didn't throw the ball all that much. Not much tape of him flinging the ball around.

Excellent point, very true.

Again, very true.
I've said before and I'll say it again, Kramer was a game manager QB at Eden Prairie, and has seen specific roles while at the U. primarily as a Wildcat back. He may be criticized for his passing as noted in many posts, but until he has to sling the rock a meaningful number of times during a game (20-30) I continue to be very positive about him with the perceived new offensive scheme.. I'll never forget the HS game at Chanhassen at a State quarter-final against Lakeville in 10 degree temp, below zero wind chill, when he destroyed them with his running and passing 48-0. I don't think PJ will be missing much if Kramer has to replace the Illinois Rifleman due to an injury in a game.

I've said before and I'll say it again, Kramer was a game manager QB at Eden Prairie, and has seen specific roles while at the U. primarily as a Wildcat back. He may be criticized for his passing as noted in many posts, but until he has to sling the rock a meaningful number of times during a game (20-30) I continue to be very positive about him with the perceived new offensive scheme.. I'll never forget the HS game at Chanhassen at a State quarter-final against Lakeville in 10 degree temp, below zero wind chill, when he destroyed them with his running and passing 48-0. I don't think PJ will be missing much if Kramer has to replace the Illinois Rifleman due to an injury in a game.

I agree.

I trust the judgement of the coaches (despite the fact that a particular poster here thinks this is foolish). Fleck appears to see something he likes in Kramer, and Kramer seems to be a team player who does whatever is asked of him and always gives his all without complaint. He may have qualities that transcend raw athletic ability.

Kramer has always played on winning programs, first at Eden Prairie and now here at Minnesota.

I agree.

I trust the judgement of the coaches (despite the fact that a particular poster here thinks this is foolish). Fleck appears to see something he likes in Kramer, and Kramer seems to be a team player who does whatever is asked of him and always gives his all without complaint. He may have qualities that transcend raw athletic ability.

Kramer has always played on winning programs, first at Eden Prairie and now here at Minnesota.
I remember Mike Grant commenting, when Kramer committed to Gophs, that he was the best QB he had ever coached. Don't know who the comparison guys are/were, but that's worth considering.

I mean he may not f things up in the sense that he won't turn the ball over a bunch, but if you need any semblance of a passing game, Kramer is not going to provide that.
Why is do you think he can’t pass? I mean, I’ve never really seen him be asked to pass so how do we (you) know? You might be right, but you seem so convinced with little to no evidence to support this. Just curious, not trying to be snarky.

Come visit me at the graduate school, I will take you on in a pickup basketball game. You can meet my girl fiend, she probably can beat you.
Ya know, Tommyboy pretending to be a U of MN student who was just obsessed with Krystoff Kowalkowski is one of the funniest bits on Gopherhole.

Come visit me at "the graduate school". LOL.

Top Bottom