Knuth No Longer with Team

If he's listed at 3rd and Viotto is getting 3rd teams reps as well then why?
Anyone who transfers out seems to be declared to be suddenly lower on the depth chart than we thought 10 seconds before the report that they transferred ;)

In other news I've cooled on Knuth's recruitment.

Anyone who transfers out seems to be declared to be suddenly lower on the depth chart than we thought 10 seconds before the report that they transferred ;)

Just the latest example of why it is a waste of time to get invested in any player before they actually get a chance to play.

Just the latest example of why it is a waste of time to get invested in any player before they actually get a chance to play.
Yup....in these new times, one must dial back the invested/enthusiasm meter for college football and basketball recruits. I know I have.

Does anyone know how he was throwing? He appears to have all the physical traits, big, fast. Many politics in the QB position. Kramer will end up playing 1/2 the year, if AK injury history continues.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Kramer being #2 was like Kramer being listed #2 last year to start the season. He was the guy who PJ likes who would've come into the game if Tanner got hurt in game. If the injury was anything long-term than it would've been AK. I think that was the situation this year....if AK had gone down in-game, it would be Kramer, who is the safe backup. If it were more serious (God forbid) than it would've been Knuth (or Viotto?). Again, assuming Knuth didn't like that.

Wasn't Iowa recruiting him too? Odds that Gophers_4life's head explodes if he transfers there (or any other B1G team)?

Does anyone know how he was throwing? He appears to have all the physical traits, big, fast. Many politics in the QB position. Kramer will end up playing 1/2 the year, if AK injury history continues.
His injury history from getting hurt in the Syracuse game? Not sure that qualifies as an injury history or would make one think Athan is going to be injury prone.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Kramer being #2 was like Kramer being listed #2 last year to start the season. He was the guy who PJ likes who would've come into the game if Tanner got hurt in game. If the injury was anything long-term than it would've been AK. I think that was the situation this year....if AK had gone down in-game, it would be Kramer, who is the safe backup. If it were more serious (God forbid) than it would've been Knuth (or Viotto?). Again, assuming Knuth didn't like that.
Think we can all drive ourselves nuts trying to figure out what happened or we can just accept the fact that players without a clear path to playing time these days often transfer, especially at the QB position.

I know someone who knows the Knuths personally, I’ll try and find out what’s up with this punk.

I think he missed his whole senior year of high school......
Looking at his Gopher sports bio it looks like he missed time in his junior year, senior year was cancelled due to covid but appears he played the full abbreviated 6 game season in the spring.

Still not seeing enough to say he is injury prone the way Tommyboy was implying.

I'm sure you never inserted yourself into the politics of your son's football career?

Yikes. I’ll be the resident Debbie downer on this one. We’re all excited about Kaliakmanis but durability has already been a concern in a small number of starts, and he’ll presumedly be running a bit more than Morgan so fingers crossed. Respectfully, Kramer hasn’t looked like the same caliber passer to date as AK or TM. Viotto could be a surprise? No idea.

it will be interesting to watch Knuth’s career going forward. Hard to know if this was a fit, performance, or patience issue. Players are quick to jump ship for better or worse.

Looking at his Gopher sports bio it looks like he missed time in his junior year, senior year was cancelled due to covid but appears he played the full abbreviated 6 game season in the spring.
Oh no, not this again lol. Wasn't there an argument between two posters last year about whether or not he played a senior season, with someone saying it got cancelled and the other poster saying he played in the spring and was gatorade illinois player of the year as a senior?

Seemed to go on and on in some thread....

Yikes. I’ll be the resident Debbie downer on this one. We’re all excited about Kaliakmanis but durability has already been a concern in a small number of starts, and he’ll presumedly be running a bit more than Morgan so fingers crossed. Respectfully, Kramer hasn’t looked like the same caliber passer to date as AK or TM. Viotto could be a surprise? No idea.

it will be interesting to watch Knuth’s career going forward. Hard to know if this was a fit, performance, or patience issue. Players are quick to jump ship for better or worse.
Don't think you will find anyone that is glad to see Knuth go. Just the reality of the current college football landscape. Would be awesome if guys were content to keep working and wait their turn but it seems like those kind of players are going to be harder and harder to find.

Lots of teams in this same boat where if their starter goes down they have very limited experience in the backups. Just have to hope that Athan can stay healthy.

His injury history from getting hurt in the Syracuse game? Not sure that qualifies as an injury history or would make one think Athan is going to be injury prone.

Kind of a fluky injury which by definition are wierd. Standard tackle. Do we know if it was ankle or knee sprain? Hopefully just one of those things but spoiled by years of TM and Mitch.

For the record I am old enough to pull muscles scratching my back. Just wait guys lol

Kind of a fluky injury which by definition are wierd. Standard tackle. Do we know if it was ankle or knee sprain? Hopefully just one of those things but spoiled by years of TM and Mitch.

For the record I am old enough to pull muscles scratching my back. Just wait guys lol

Right there with you....have hit the age where muscles are sore for no apparent reason. :)

Doubt we will ever get specifics on exactly what happened to Athan injury wise, but the good news is he seems to be full go this spring so whatever it was it wasn't all that serious even though it looked bad at the time.

Do you really think Cole Kramer would beat ANY BIG team? I don’t. Really disappointed that Knuth left the team. Perhaps their was a conflict with the new QB coach.
I also think you learn some truths when you start practicing that we aren't privy to. I think Cole Kramer is a fine backup, but if you aren't beating out Cole Kramer for reps, you probably aren't going to be a starter.

I can't blame a kid, especially one who plays a position without substitutions, for going elsewhere.

Think of the Zack Annexstad situation. He stuck it out too long before he decided to transfer. Zack stuck it out and was a real team player. Jacob Knuth wants a reasonable chance to start sooner or be second in the depth chart. This won't happen with the Gophers.

On the other hand, the strangest things happen. Zack lost his starting job because of an injury and never got his starting job back.

Anyone who transfers out for playing time is doing so based on their own assessment of the competition. They are there every day at practice, in workouts, in position meetings, and listening to coaches.

We are in cyberspace, posting on a message board, reacting to crap that is on average 92.684% buffalo chips.

Trust the kids. They all know where they stand and what they need to do.

It always feels different to me when the coach announces that a player "isn't with the team anymore," rather than when a player announces that he has decided to enter the portal--even though the net effect is probably exactly the same. I feel better about the overall circumstances when a player announces his move, thanks his coaches and teammates and moves on to greener pastures; I feel different when the player is silent and the team announces his departure. Maybe Knuth had an off-field issue, though I seriously doubt that. He seems like the All American boy. Maybe he doesn't get along with the new QB coach. Or maybe, Viotto, who entered early--and who is supposed to have a cannon of an arm--was threatening to push Knuth from No. 3 to an unacceptable No. 4. Don't know; probably will never know.

Anyway, good luck to Knuth. He is a legitimate QB- Athlete and can really sling the long ball. Maybe he has trouble with the shorter sideline passes? I suspect he'll find a good new home and probably excel. Jackrabbits?

This might sound odd, but if the Gophers have reached the point at which good QB candidates leave for fear that it might be years before they see the field, and worry that there is legitimate young talent coming up behind, I'm fine with it (other than feeling sad for the QBs who leave). It means that our QB recruiting is becoming a consistent success. Let's hope that's what it is.

Barring injury to AK he was never going to play for years. Who knows what other QBs will be added by then.

Top Bottom