Knuth No Longer with Team

IMHO, Jacob Knuth got impatient.

Drew Viotto worked himself into an extraordinary situation by garnering away some third-string reps from Jacob Knuth. He can sit back and develop comfortably. This speaks volumes about Drew Viotto.

The Gophers appeared good at the QB position. Aaron Philo decommitting is not a big deal. They will get a replacement QB who wants to be a Gopher.

How long til the "start Kramer" crowd gets going? 1 bad game by AK?
I've been supportive of Cole for years noting his history at EP as a game manager in a run oriented system, to learning PJ's RPO over several years as a Sub and part time Wildcat back.. He has put on 15-20 pounds of muscle, has learned the new system, is tough as nails, an adequate passer and doesn't make mistakes. Given the Greek Rifleman's significant upside and multi year eligibility I expect he will be the starter, but I as I said in an earlier post, a more than satisfactory backup. Should Athan regress or have a very bad start vs a Nebby or UNC Cole can come in and pickup the team.

How long til the "start Kramer" crowd gets going? 1 bad game by AK?
I've been supportive of Cole for years noting his history at EP as a game manager in a run oriented system, to learning PJ's RPO over several years as a Sub and part time Wildcat back.. He has put on 15-20 pounds of muscle, has learned the new system, is tough as nails, an adequate passer and doesn't make mistakes. Given the Greek Rifleman's significant upside and eligibility I expect he will start, but Cole is available vs a Nebby or UNC if Athan struggles.

He did, but also had the starting WRs against backups.
If he has to come in for whatever reason, wouldn't he have the 1st string WR's? The point I've tried to make is Cole is an adequate #2, and if called upon either to start or replace #1 during a game due to injury or whatever, the risk is minimal as he is an outstanding game manager, even in an RPO system that he has learned over several years.

If he has to come in for whatever reason, wouldn't he have the 1st string WR's? The point I've tried to make is Cole is an adequate #2, and if called upon either to start or replace #1 during a game due to injury or whatever, the risk is minimal as he is an outstanding game manager, even in an RPO system that he has learned over several years.
Yes, he should be fine. What have you seen in actual game play that shows you he's an outstanding game manager?

Interesting to see Knuth still hasn’t found a landing spot, and there is no shortage of QBs available in the portal still.

Sorry, but I can't see a lot of posters clamoring for Kramer.
Correct.

Part of the reason backup QBs are possible is because people see a ceiling with the starter…the backup could have a higher ceiling?!?

Most people already feel they know the ceiling with Kramer.

For me it is probably a 6-8 regular season win type team that is dependent on everything but the QB to win games. He is too much of a known commodity for being a guy that gives you an unknown unlimited ceiling by putting.

AK was appealing to me last year because I thought I knew Morgan’s ceiling, but didn’t know AK’s.
Maybe AK’s is higher

Kramer is a capable backup, but not the type of commodity that starts a QB controversy

Correct.

Part of the reason backup QBs are possible is because people see a ceiling with the starter…the backup could have a higher ceiling?!?

Most people already feel they know the ceiling with Kramer.

For me it is probably a 6-8 regular season win type team that is dependent on everything but the QB to win games. He is too much of a known commodity for being a guy that gives you an unknown unlimited ceiling by putting.

AK was appealing to me last year because I thought I knew Morgan’s ceiling, but didn’t know AK’s.
Maybe AK’s is higher

Kramer is a capable backup, but not the type of commodity that starts a QB controversy
Oh, Athan's is definitely higher. I think his floor is as well. I feel he's going to be the difference maker in some games.

Oh, Athan's is definitely higher. I think his floor is as well. I feel he's going to be the difference maker in some games.
I think so too.

Which is why people wanted AK over TM. People have that idea in their head that AK could be the missing piece.

Even if AK plays mediocre in a couple games next year no one is sitting there going…if only we played Kramer we could take the next step.
If AK plays mediocre in a couple of games I will think…..if AK goes down we won’t really take a step back.

I think so too.

Which is why people wanted AK over TM. People have that idea in their head that AK could be the missing piece.

Even if AK plays mediocre in a couple games next year no one is sitting there going…if only we played Kramer we could take the next step.
If AK plays mediocre in a couple of games I will think…..if AK goes down we won’t really take a step back.
I sometimes wish they would have figured out how to use Kramer as an H-back.

I sometimes wish they would have figured out how to use Kramer as an H-back.
He has been used more and been more successful than what I ever expected out of him coming out of high school.

He was a pocket passer who didn’t throw much in high school. I was shocked he was a physical enough player to run all that wildcat. I never saw it at EP.

He has been used more and been more successful than what I ever expected out of him coming out of high school.

He was a pocket passer who didn’t throw much in high school. I was shocked he was a physical enough player to run all that wildcat. I never saw it at EP.
His sophomore year he started at EP at 5'10" and 160 pounds.

Interesting to see Knuth still hasn’t found a landing spot, and there is no shortage of QBs available in the portal still.
The abundance of transfer QBs in the portal is worthy of consideration first before entering the portal. Transfer QBs must show some proven goods to prospective teams.

Some players are more poised than others coming out of HS. It appears that Drew Viotto shows more readiness in practice overtaking Jacob Knuth.

IMHO, Jacob Knuth's transfer prospects would have improved had he remained on the team and continued to develop. Running the opposing team's offense will give him valuable reps. This requires patience and time.

The abundance of transfer QBs in the portal is worthy of consideration first before entering the portal. Transfer QBs must show some proven goods to prospective teams.

Some players are more poised than others coming out of HS. It appears that Drew Viotto shows more readiness in practice overtaking Jacob Knuth.

IMHO, Jacob Knuth's transfer prospects would have improved had he remained on the team and continued to develop. Running the opposing team's offense will give him valuable reps. This requires patience and time.
Or he did no want to be a little B behind the slow Canadian.

I wonder if he thought he'd be recruited like he was when he was in high school? I think there's a difference though in the attention you receive as a high schooler vs. the attention you receive in the portal having no playing experience.

First question I'd have...why did you quit in the middle of spring football? Why the choice to discard the practice reps to improve and the spring game tape to showcase your abilities? Why abandon your teammates mid stream?
Decision making is a pretty big part of being a leader and a quarterback.

First question I'd have...why did you quit in the middle of spring football? Why the choice to discard the practice reps to improve and the spring game tape to showcase your abilities? Why abandon your teammates mid stream?
Decision making is a pretty big part of being a leader and a quarterback.
Maybe to get his name out there sooner? Not sure.

I hate to see him go after all the excitement of his signing. The competition for the QB position must be intense.

He saw a crowded field and did not want to wait to start. This kid is a winner. I wish him luck.
Almost impossible to get excited about recruiting these days, unless it’s a transfer who will immediately start.

Almost impossible to get excited about recruiting these days, unless it’s a transfer who will immediately start.
We do not know how good a high school signee is until they show up and practice against other players. Star ratings aren't always as advertised.

Top Bottom