Jordan Hinojosa - to North Dakota???

Given how he's defended here when it comes to the local media, it's strange how Kill doesnt get the benefit of the doubt in this matter. Nothing would surprise me and this could be a complete black mark on this coaching staff, but wasn't there "more to the story" when Barker up and quit?

Do coaching staffs routinely tell parents and not the 21 year old kid? Weird from the outside

If so, did parents tell coaching staff in January not to tell son because they wanted to tell him?

The coaching staff agreed to "pretend" the kid had a future here until his parents told him? Weird from the outside

Was the coaching staff surprised the kid whose parents knew in January he was not going to be a part of the program showed up for spring practice in March? Very weird from the outside

Do coaching staffs routinely let 21 year old kids participate in spring practice when the the coaching staff knows the kid is gone at the end of May? Unbelievably weird from the outside

Don't coaching staffs let players that will be on the team in the fall take the majority (ALL!!!) of the reps during spring practice? UND or Iowa State aren't scouting talent at the practices or spring game. Completely unbelievably totally weird from the outside

Maybe all those are yes.

Where are Marcus and Doogie?

Agree on all accounts. There is more to the story than we will ever know.

Also very weird that they'd decide to run off a kid they'd recruited essentially twice after only a year in the program who may still have room to contribute, and from a talent rich area when this same staff has had a number of players stay on scholarship for years even though everyone knew they had no shot at playing since they were consistently buried on the depth chart. This situation is completely out of character when you can point to kids at other spots that we all know won't play and likely can't even help on ST still on the team

FWIW Ryan Burns said there were some off the field issues. Didn't specify at all though.

Not to throw more on the fire, but this is what usually results in a scholie "getting pulled". If you go to class, show up for meetings and practice, and stay out of trouble...your scholarship at Minnesota will be honored. Otherwise, not.

There's a disturbingly large number of people on this board that seem all too giddy to jump on this staff in the defense of a single player who apparently had some off the field issues (see I can spread rumors too). If his scholarship was pulled for unethical reasons, it will lead every newscast so we should just relax.

Here's my uneducated guess based upon the little amount of facts we've been presented with: Coach Miller was always higher on Jordan than the rest of the staff - after Miller left, he became buried on the depth chart - something happened off-the-field to give the current staff cause to pull the scholarship.

Guys, sorry. Just have a lot of disappointment in my heart. I loved MN. Loved the blog. Hell, I loved Kill and Miller. I know Jordan did too. I'm suffering because Jordan is. That's all. As you guys see I barely post but do read all the time. As time goes, he and myself will heal.

I'm kind of pissed too to be honest. I've been saying for a while now that something doesn't add up with Jordan. The kid was recruited not once, but twice by Kill so the notion that he was Brewster recruit is incorrect. He's small for a Big-10 DT, but that's why guys get into the S/C Program & get bigger. Plus, Claey's loves smaller, active DT's. In Spring ball, with so many DT's injured Jordan got leap-frogged by a 250lb walk-on so I wasn't buying that he was too small either. Then of course there's what us fans can see with our own eyes, the Spring games where Jordan actually got to play & shined in both cases. No legal problems? No academic problems? Just doesn't add up. I'm hearing Jordan's HS Coach at Miami Central was shady & misrepresented the players he had to colleges, but again Kill recruited Jordan TWICE, once from his good friend down in Kansas Juco ball.

What can you say to your son at this point other than "Life's not fair"? I'm not particularly spiritual but this could very well be a case of his destiny or fate or whatever lying elsewhere & in a few years he might be saying "If it wasn't for getting shafted at Minnesota, I never would have ended up here". Best of luck to Jordan & yourself, sorry it didn't work out.

I am with you maximus. This is a very bizarre situation indeed. I don't believe for a second that Kill wouldn't let Jordan know immediately. I got to believe he is classier than that. EIther way it is really too bad, was really pulling for Jordan.

I'm not saying there aren't two sides to every story, but I think you're naive if you think Kill & his staff are angels. This is a cut throat business, don't let the "ah schucks" act fool you.

Gopherprof,
Do u have a problem. I have not insulted anyone yet you come here and insult me. Is there a problem?
You misunderstood. I'm saying that your word should be good enough in this instance.

As is often the case, you only get one side of the story which is typically the player's. The coaching staff usually will not and should not go into details about any troubles with a player. Therefore, it is not fair to judge/blame Coach Kill based on evidence that comes from one side. In most of these cases, we will probably never really know what transpired.

I have talked to parents of several players and have only heard good things about Kill & Co. It would be one thing if there was a mass exodus of players from the program but that is not the case. I fully expect to have at least of couple of disgruntled players each year given that they have over a hundred on the squad. Therefore, I really don’t worry about this particular situation. Hopefully, things work out for the kid and everyone just moves on.

Go Gophers!

Agree on all accounts. There is more to the story than we will ever know.

Agreed. FTR - even tho GopherProf and I have had our differences, I'm quite sure no disrespect was meant to anyone other than me. I'm not challenging getthemall's identity or his belief - but GopherProf's "proof" that it is true because his dad said so is where I have issues here.

I was sent home from a school trip once for good reason, but my Dad will still defend that fact that I did nothing wrong. Why? Because the school didn't release the full details to him and he believes what I told him. Too many things here don't add up IMO. What I do know for sure is I wish Jordan well.

As is often the case, you only get one side of the story which is typically the player's. The coaching staff usually will not and should not go into details about any troubles with a player. Therefore, it is not fair to judge/blame Coach Kill based on evidence that comes from one side. In most of these cases, we will probably never really know what transpired.

I have talked to parents of several players and have only heard good things about Kill & Co. It would be one thing if there was a mass exodus of players from the program but that is not the case. I fully expect to have at least of couple of disgruntled players each year given that they have over a hundred on the squad. Therefore, I really don’t worry about this particular situation. Hopefully, things work out for the kid and everyone just moves on.

Go Gophers!
I don't disagree that we're only getting one side here, but that doesn't dispute basic facts. If a parent to a player is saying he got a letter that his son's scholarship had been pulled, why on earth is anyone saying "I don't believe that for a second"? You don't believe what, exactly? Certain things either are or they aren't. Because a fact disrupts your preconceived notion of a person you have no relationship with at all, you simply deny its reality?

Now, why he got his scholarship pulled is a more subjective argument, and something where having the staff's perspective would help. But that he did seems beyond dispute unless, as someone else said, this is an elaborate multi-year ruse.

I was sent home from a school trip once for good reason, but my Dad will still defend that fact that I did nothing wrong. Why? Because the school didn't release the full details to him and he believes what I told him.
Two different points. What you initially denied was that he was "run off the team" at all. As if that event simply didn't happen.

To use your analogy, that would be akin to denying that you were sent home at all.

I'm not saying there aren't two sides to every story, but I think you're naive if you think Kill & his staff are angels. This is a cut throat business, don't let the "ah schucks" act fool you.

trust me I know its cut throat, but surely kill had the decency to talk to the player about this situation directly, he has most likely had to do this before, why be all shady about it now? Aww shucks or not, I dont think Kill is afraid to have a one on one meeting over a hard situation. I am simply skeptical to believe every word from getthemall as being a verbatim retelling of the story (sorry Mr. Hinojosa, but I'm skeptical by nature about information from the internet.) . Maybe look into the mirror as to who is being naive...

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

Guys, I never said Jordan was run off the team. What was said was he was not a fit in the defense. Once again, it's a business decision. I don't know who Ryan Burns is but Jordan had no off the field problems. If that was the case, everyone would have known on here because I remember seeing post about off the field problems about a WR. Jordan has no off the field issues. That's like saying irreconcilable differences. Remember these coaches have a lot of pressure. I asked Coach not to tell him. Jordan went to JUCO in KS. From there to MN, always living MN. So to tell him he lost it, it wouldn't be good IMO. I wanted him to bust his arse in spring and play the spring game so he can be seen. Jordan was small at 6'3 280, ok I'll take it. But they put a walk on weighing 260 ahead of him in DLine. I'm here to protect Jordan. I've known this since January and came on because people were saying things that are not true. But I may talk till blue in the face and it won't change the situation. I know my son has talent. But once again I might not know everything. But from what I know internally and externally, Jordan does not have off the field issues.

I was sent home from a school trip once for good reason, but my Dad will still defend that fact that I did nothing wrong. Why? Because the school didn't release the full details to him and he believes what I told him. Too many things here don't add up IMO. What I do know for sure is I wish Jordan well.

This seems like the perfect time and place to confess to the world what got you sent home on this trip!

Two different points. What you initially denied was that he was "run off the team" at all. As if that event simply didn't happen.

To use your analogy, that would be akin to denying that you were sent home at all.

To me being "run off the team" in the context of this thread implies certain things along the lines of being forced to leave for no good reason (i.e. we have better players). Like new coaches are often said to do upon arrival. In contrast I would consider someone who is forced to leave for good reasons (i.e. off-field issues, academics, etc.) to be "kicked off the team". Pretty sure you are the only one who thought I was saying the Gophers didn't pull his scholly. Context man - should be second nature for a professor.

This seems like the perfect time and place to confess to the world what got you sent home on this trip!

Can't. My Dad might read this. I've said too much already. Word.

I don't disagree that we're only getting one side here, but that doesn't dispute basic facts. If a parent to a player is saying he got a letter that his son's scholarship had been pulled, why on earth is anyone saying "I don't believe that for a second"? You don't believe what, exactly? Certain things either are or they aren't. Because a fact disrupts your preconceived notion of a person you have no relationship with at all, you simply deny its reality?

Now, why he got his scholarship pulled is a more subjective argument, and something where having the staff's perspective would help. But that he did seems beyond dispute unless, as someone else said, this is an elaborate multi-year ruse.

I don't think that's anyone's issue with getthemall's story. I will not pretend to know what happened, but it is certainly something that is worth discussing.

Spoofin asked "how do we know he was ran off the team" and you seem to imply that it is an absolute fact that he was "run off the team" because his father said so. Spoofin did not say "how do you know that he is no longer on the team", that could be an absolute fact. His statement was not questioning an absolute fact, it was questioning getthemall's story of HOW it came to be that Jordan is no longer on the team.

I have no issue with the idea that Jerry Kill might pull scholarships. I am completely against it, but I'm not going to pretend that I know Jerry Kill enough to say he would or would not do this. However, I do know that he did not pull Moses Alipate's scholarship. I do know that he did not pull Victor Kiese's scholarship. These guys were not even recruited by Kill and they had ZERO chance of playing. . .it seems bizarre that a coach willing to pull scholarships would not pull theirs.

It is more than bizarre if Kill did not tell Jordan. Regardless of what his father wanted, Jordan is a grown up and should have been told in January, the idea that he would not tell him and then he would go through spring ball is beyond bizarre. I'm not saying it did or did not happen, but if Jerry Kill listened to Mr. Getthemall and didn't tell him, it's pure lunacy.

This kind of discussion is not getting to the "why" and it is not based on the idea that ole Jer is a saint. It's questioning the story of how it came to be that Jordan Hinojosa is no longer a member of the team.

I appreciate your clearing up, Mr. Hinojosa, that although your son lost his scholarship, he wasn't "run off" the team. I didn't like to see people conflating the two.

I don't know what happened behind closed doors, and I don't want to speculate. I just wish Jordan good luck. Beat the Coyotes, or whoever.

Maybe I'm crazy, but isn't having your scholarship pulled because "you're not a fit" the definition of being run off the team? The question is if that is in fact what happened.

We're getting one side of a three-sided story (at minimum) so we cannot and likely will not ever really know what happened though clues sometimes leak out over time if one listens and reads closely enough.

Maybe he was Bill Miller's kid and now the champion is gone.

Maybe Jordan isn't telling his dad the full truth.

Maybe Kill thinks the current and incoming DTs are better and there really isn't a spot. Hard to swallow, but anything is possible.

One thing I found interesting in Mr. Hinojosas postings is that he mentioned Jordan "could have fought it" but why bother if not wanted.

It is very odd that apparently Jordan was in the dark but his scholarship does run through the school year. Maybe he was on double-secret probation and they could use him in practice. Maybe kill honored the request by a parent to not tell the player. Who knows?.

Losing one's scholarship isn't the same as being dismissed from the team. There are lots of young men paying their own way.

I'm not saying he should have stayed, or that I would have expected him to, but the answer to your question is no. Losing a scholarship is not the same as being run off.

Maybe the reason guys like Alipate didn't lose their scholarship is because Kill didn't recruit them and he though it'd be unfair. They signed on with someone else and it's not their fault their coach got fired. With Jordan, I'm sure there's an agreement that when you sign on to play with Kill you do things a certain way, in the classroom, on the field, and off the field. While I appreciate Jordan's dad posting on here, he's going to be a bit biased towards his son and I don't fault him for that. Clearly there's more to the story here. I can't see this being a case of Jordan doing everything he's been asked but the staff still not feeling he should get a scholarship. I'm guessing there was a disagreement in playing time, scheme fit, workouts, a classroom issue, etc. I'm sure Jordan's dad will disagree with my post, but we're only getting one side of the story here.

Maybe Sid will ask some "hard-hitting" questions on the situation on Sunday's Sports Huddle. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm crazy, but isn't having your scholarship pulled because "you're not a fit" the definition of being run off the team? The question is if that is in fact what happened.

We're getting one side of a three-sided story (at minimum) so we cannot and likely will not ever really know what happened though clues sometimes leak out over time if one listens and reads closely enough.

Maybe he was Bill Miller's kid and now the champion is gone.

Maybe Jordan isn't telling his dad the full truth.

Maybe Kill thinks the current and incoming DTs are better and there really isn't a spot. Hard to swallow, but anything is possible.

One thing I found interesting in Mr. Hinojosas postings is that he mentioned Jordan "could have fought it" but why bother if not wanted.

It is very odd that apparently Jordan was in the dark but his scholarship does run through the school year. Maybe he was on double-secret probation and they could use him in practice. Maybe kill honored the request by a parent to not tell the player. Who knows?.

This is a difficult situation and what is true and not true may never be fully understood. Surprisingly, there are three things that hasn't been discussed here that probably should be. The first is the following comment from getthemall:

Guys, I never said Jordan was run off the team. What was said was he was not a fit in the defense. Once again, it's a business decision. I don't know who Ryan Burns is but Jordan had no off the field problems. If that was the case, everyone would have known on here because I remember seeing post about off the field problems about a WR. Jordan has no off the field issues. That's like saying irreconcilable differences. Remember these coaches have a lot of pressure. I asked Coach not to tell him. Jordan went to JUCO in KS. From there to MN, always living MN. So to tell him he lost it, it wouldn't be good IMO. I wanted him to bust his arse in spring and play the spring game so he can be seen. Jordan was small at 6'3 280, ok I'll take it. But they put a walk on weighing 260 ahead of him in DLine. I'm here to protect Jordan. I've known this since January and came on because people were saying things that are not true. But I may talk till blue in the face and it won't change the situation. I know my son has talent. But once again I might not know everything. But from what I know internally and externally, Jordan does not have off the field issues.

The walk-on mentioned above is most likely Robert Ndondo-Lay from Winona State. Kill has always stated that walk-ons will play ahead of scholarship players if they are better. I believe Robert is a speed defensive end who preformed very well in the spring game. They do like this guy! The good news is that Kill is recruiting and attracting excellent walk-ons. That may or may not have the reason for Jordan's downfall but never the less, it is painful for Jordan.

The second and third point has to with the rules in regards to scholarship players. Nobody so far has talked about what they are for the Big Ten and Minnesota yet. I remember when Jerry first arrive here he said he wasn't going to do what Alvarez did at Wisconsin, i.e basically, quickly replace almost all of the previous scholarship players with his own players. I don't know if this was because of Big Ten and/or Wisconsin rules, political considerations, or the potential impact of doing this on APR. The point is that Kill recognized that he inherited players that did not meet Division 1/Big Ten standards. Some of these players transferred while others chose to remain with the program. Why didn't Kill take away some of these scholarships? You tell me.

The second part of this is about what are the scholarship rules. I remember it being discussed here that all the Big Ten schools other than Purdue and Minnesota had rules that the scholarships were awarded for four years. Supposedly, Purdue and Minnesota would be moving in the future to the same rules as the rest of the Big Ten. Also, the difference in these rules between the Big Ten and the SEC has always been a bone of contention as being an unfair advantage for the SEC.

I am sure if I am right on all of this, but I would like to see a broader discussion here on what the rules are for scholarships. We all could be enlightened.

This is what was said in the NDSU Blog:

Why is that?

He have 2 or 3 years eligibility left?
Gopher coaches advised against it. Sounds like a very good kid and hard worker though.

Bob, Re: guys like Keise and Alipate - maybe those schollies were never pulled because Jerry didn't have the depth he wanted yet? Why pull scholarships if you don't have quality guys behind them? Maybe he is just now getting the program to the point where he feels like he can pull enough depth to replace other guys on the depth chart. This is obviously all conjecture, but just another angle to think about

Top Bottom