Jordan Hinojosa - to North Dakota???

Bob, Re: guys like Keise and Alipate - maybe those schollies were never pulled because Jerry didn't have the depth he wanted yet? Why pull scholarships if you don't have quality guys behind them? Maybe he is just now getting the program to the point where he feels like he can pull enough depth to replace other guys on the depth chart. This is obviously all conjecture, but just another angle to think about

I have no idea what happened, but I can't imagine that Alipate would have been higher on the depth chart than Hinojosa.

I'd guess that some of the other players who've had little to no on-field contributions who remain/ed on scholarship and with the team were brought on by the previous regime and this staff wants/ed to honor what the previous coaches had offered to them.

Guessing continues that they were also made aware of their increased chances of getting PT by moving elsewhere but chose instead to stay at the U on scholly to get their degree with the mutual agreement that they did everything they were asked to do en route to graduating.

So the theory now is that Kill feels more obligation and loyalty toward Brewster's recruits than his own? I think this thread needs to end.

I suppose it all gets down to this: what do the coaches mean by "not a good fit?"
Depending on how you take that, it could be schematic (you can't play the techniques we want); it could be physical (you're not big enough, strong enough, quick enough, etc); or it could have something to do with personalities (you don't work well with the coaches/other players).

Until Kill or one of the coaches go on the record (don't hold your breath), I doubt we'll ever know the whole story.

I suppose it all gets down to this: what do the coaches mean by "not a good fit?"
Depending on how you take that, it could be schematic (you can't play the techniques we want); it could be physical (you're not big enough, strong enough, quick enough, etc); or it could have something to do with personalities (you don't work well with the coaches/other players).

Until Kill or one of the coaches go on the record (don't hold your breath), I doubt we'll ever know the whole story.

I hope we never get the whole story, because it's more fun to read all of the speculation and opinions here on GH!!!

Did you guys think he could play? What about the ndsu blog? I promise this time, last post.

Did you guys think he could play? What about the ndsu blog? I promise this time, last post.

I don't pay attention to blogs from lower divisions. I appreciate your posting here, but without it this would be a non-story. A 3rd-string DT decides to switch to glorified high school football is not a big deal.

I really think Jordan can play. I honestly haven't read the ndsu blog, but those fans are nuttier than squirrel sh!t...so, whatever. You make great contributions to the 'Hole. Don't promise to not post again, your insights might be needed/appreciated in the future. Like you said before....."will continue to be an "M" man."

I thought / think he could play D1 football at Minnesota. I also thought your son was a fine young man from the little I chatted with him. I am not sure what happened - with coach Kill ability is only one factor - but I think Jordan has the ability. I hope you continue to post and let us know how Jordan is progressing. I am sure Jordan will be a winner in life and this is just a little setback he will laugh about when he is 40. Good luck to you both.

Just a clarification it was page 286 I believe on their BSville football recruiting thread, not 246. The insinuation by a resident nutjob (they are indeed clinically insane) was that gopher staff had told NDSU not to recruit him b/c he wasn't worth it. Must be true since it's on the internetz.

Again, I find all of this hard to swallow. As a recruit the kid was thought highly of by the gopher staff amongst some others around the country. Claeys thought highly enough of him to state that he'd possibly be somewhere in the rotation his first year here. FBS ready.

Getthemall, can you shed any more light. I understand nobody wants to burn bridges but the issue of pulling scholarships is a particularly delicate one in the gopherhole...

And yes, many of us thought he had good talent. We had one poster say he couldn't play at this level but these are usually knee-jerk circle the wagons around the program types.

is this guy still on the roster. it's not like he took it to Tumblr.

Guys, I never said Jordan was run off the team. What was said was he was not a fit in the defense. Once again, it's a business decision.

Star Tribune

getthemall
May 8, 14
5:48 pm
Why don't you tell the whole story, Joe? Maybe try some research? Jordan is "transferring," because he had his schoalorship pulled arbitrairily for no reason.

Well, which is it? They gave you a reason or it was pulled for no reason?

Star Tribune

getthemall
May 8, 14
5:48 pm
Why don't you tell the whole story, Joe? Maybe try some research? Jordan is "transferring," because he had his schoalorship pulled arbitrairily for no reason.

Funny. I suspect Joe did do some research and chose not to give the whole story as a courtesy to the kid. Dad should be careful what he asks for. Too many things don't add up here. Way way too many things.

With the length of this thread you would think a future NFL player was transferring...

Jordan and his dad seem like class guys, and I wish them nothing but the best. Now let's review the facts:

We oversigned by 3 last February. It was inevitable that 3 non-seniors were leaving one way or another. Cameron Wilson got a job (cough, cough), and Dexter Foreman had hip surgery and won't be able to play again (more coughing). Let's start an investigation with these guys as well....

So we still needed one player to move on. Since we signed 4 D-lineman, this was a likely spot. Jordan, despite being a JUCO transfer, didn't see any playing time last year. I'm not going to list out guys individually, but if you had to see one player move on, who would be a more likely candidate at this point? Point being, not many. Kill and his staff recruited him twice, but realized he wasn't going to be in the rotation after seeing him practice over the past year.

I think I will not attend DI football games next year. Maybe MIAC. Go Ole!

I guarantee that his scholie was not pulled for "no reason" and that Jerry Kill would do so to arbitrarily free up one. Guarantee it. He has very few requirements: go to class, show up for meetings and practice, stay out of trouble, give 100% six seconds at a time. End of story. If you can't do that, then you are a bad fit...for any program.

I think it's been clear for days that getthemall is not being 100% honest with us. Part of me doesn't blame him. In fact I can respect it somewhat, to me he's just sticking up for and protecting his son. But none of his story makes any sense, and this is not something Kill would do for no reason. It's pretty obvious Hinojosa did something off the field to upset Kill and the staff, bad enough to not want him around anymore. Yes, I'm giving Kill the benefit of the doubt, but he deserves it.

I connected to 247 sports and saw a connection to Jordan's twitter site. Not a pretty picture. I can swear like a sailor, but there were words in the tweets in 2011 that I would never use in any context. Yeah, there were a few good prayers to God. Also, many tawdry connections. But, that all ended when he arrived on campus. So, I think compliance in some areas like the twitterverse was compliant to U standards. But, I can not comment on other social media since I don't have access to it. Amazing what stays out on the web. A lesson for us all.

Yet, I don't think this issue is really about Jordan. It is about the player/university connection. That connection was severed. Why recruit somebody just to cut them at the end of year one. It seems like a terribly expensive waste of resources at a time when recruiting expenses at Minnesota seem to be exploding. To find replacements for Jordan costs the U tens of thousands of dollars per player. And, right now, we seem to be offering a dozen kids per hour and landing nobody. The artificial barrier of dropping a student just to stay in the 85 scholarship limit because Podunk U can't afford bubble gum is a ridiculous limit for the U. If we go above the limit should be the U's call and not the NCAA's. If we want to go up one year and down others, that should be up to Minnesota. And, this, my dear friends is why collusion and restraint of trade are so highly thought about as right now. The coaches are compliant to an outside standard that Minnesota agrees with so conveniently. And, we all applaud the upgrade in talent. It seems so SEC like. Over-sign and improve. Is that something that we really want?

I connected to 247 sports and saw a connection to Jordan's twitter site. Not a pretty picture. I can swear like a sailor, but there were words in the tweets in 2011 that I would never use in any context. Yeah, there were a few good prayers to God. Also, many tawdry connections. But, that all ended when he arrived on campus. So, I think compliance in some areas like the twitterverse was compliant to U standards. But, I can not comment on other social media since I don't have access to it. Amazing what stays out on the web. A lesson for us all.

Yet, I don't think this issue is really about Jordan. It is about the player/university connection. That connection was severed. Why recruit somebody just to cut them at the end of year one. It seems like a terribly expensive waste of resources at a time when recruiting expenses at Minnesota seem to be exploding. To find replacements for Jordan costs the U tens of thousands of dollars per player. And, right now, we seem to be offering a dozen kids per hour and landing nobody. The artificial barrier of dropping a student just to stay in the 85 scholarship limit because Podunk U can't afford bubble gum is a ridiculous limit for the U. If we go above the limit should be the U's call and not the NCAA's. If we want to go up one year and down others, that should be up to Minnesota. And, this, my dear friends is why collusion and restraint of trade are so highly thought about as right now. The coaches are compliant to an outside standard that Minnesota agrees with so conveniently. And, we all applaud the upgrade in talent. It seems so SEC like. Over-sign and improve. Is that something that we really want?

Absolutely! I would expect any FAN of the TEAM to agree (sorry to go all 'wren-like' with the caps, but it seemed necessary).

Funny. I suspect Joe did do some research and chose not to give the whole story as a courtesy to the kid. Dad should be careful what he asks for. Too many things don't add up here. Way way too many things.

That's kinda what I was thinking as well.

Top Bottom