Jordan Hinojosa - to North Dakota???

Let me tell you in 2011. You say he swears on twitter. I say: blue belt Brazilian jiu-jitsu; state 6A runner up, in FLORIDA: 2nd team all state: 1st team all Miami dade county: top Hispanic hs football player in Miami by local tv/radio station: early graduate and on hell of a model American....lol.
And u say he swears in 2011. So he's a pos in 2014. Guys you know him, a couple of you personally. I think maybe, just maybe he deserves a little, tiny bit of respect.

Let me tell you in 2011. You say he swears on twitter. I say: blue belt Brazilian jiu-jitsu; state 6A runner up, in FLORIDA: 2nd team all state: 1st team all Miami dade county: top Hispanic hs football player in Miami by local tv/radio station: early graduate and on hell of a model American....lol.
And u say he swears in 2011. So he's a pos in 2014. Guys you know him, a couple of you personally. I think maybe, just maybe he deserves a little, tiny bit of respect.

How about we all just let this thread die out of respect to Jordan and his father. there is no reason to sit here and speculate and try find a reason that we will never know. I get it's a dead season in the year, but this is just not the type of thing that's beneficial to anyone.

Not sure Jordan is being disrespected. I agree the thread needs to die. No one here, parents included, know the full story apparently. We should all wish Jordan well. Go Gophers!

The coaches are compliant to an outside standard that Minnesota agrees with so conveniently. And, we all applaud the upgrade in talent. It seems so SEC like. Over-sign and improve. Is that something that we really want?

College football is our country's fifth professional sport unfortunately. There's no going back.

How about we all just let this thread die out of respect to Jordan and his father. there is no reason to sit here and speculate and try find a reason that we will never know. I get it's a dead season in the year, but this is just not the type of thing that's beneficial to anyone.
Absolutely right. He is a kid and even being a scholarship player he has a right to some privacy.
I hope the rest of his career is great.

Absolutely right. He is a kid and even being a scholarship player he has a right to some privacy.
I hope the rest of his career is great.

Lets not forget that this thread would have died days ago if his own Dad hadn't started posting.

Who was the top Asian football player? How about the top Redskin football player?

If Gethemall wants to fix the internet and end all speculation, I am all for it. Until that happens, we get to speculate.

I don't know any of these people so I wont...but we get to if we want too.

My suggestion is walk away Gethemall. No parent ever won a fight defending their kid against fans.

Absolutely! I would expect any FAN of the TEAM to agree (sorry to go all 'wren-like' with the caps, but it seemed necessary).

I disagree 100%.

If they start paying the guys, I'd agree, until then, it's disgusting.

I disagree 100%.

If they start paying the guys, I'd agree, until then, it's disgusting.

So, Bob. You like the status quo. We get that. I even applaud that you have a point of view. But, change should occur in the arena of college sports and I think that taking away the scholarship status accomplishes more good than bad. First, it allows the college athlete to negotiate. When a student has classes to take and needs flexibility in the schedule to accomplish the necessary study to deeply understand a subject, you can not get that with the current situation. With information doubling every 9 months in most fields, how can a student develop full understanding if they can not participate in that knowledge creation? If they are in the weight room, in the video room, in meetings, on the practice field and conducting self drills, where does the student gain advanced study time. Yes, the student gets basic study in and can meet the grades, but where does advanced study come in under this scenario? It simply can not.

By moving to a pay for play model, the student can spend money independently and spend time more freely if given the opportunity for flexible scheduling.

Since I will always advocate for academics over sports, I would suggest the following.

All athletes need to try out for the team from the existing student body.
All students can compete or tryout for the paid job of representing the school.
Recruiting be banned.
Students get recruited for scheduling, ticket taking, and everything related to the management of the sport, including coaching and training.
Pay for full workers compensation.
If the television contract goes away as a result, no loss function.

So, Bob. You like the status quo. We get that. I even applaud that you have a point of view. But, change should occur in the arena of college sports and I think that taking away the scholarship status accomplishes more good than bad. First, it allows the college athlete to negotiate. When a student has classes to take and needs flexibility in the schedule to accomplish the necessary study to deeply understand a subject, you can not get that with the current situation. With information doubling every 9 months in most fields, how can a student develop full understanding if they can not participate in that knowledge creation? If they are in the weight room, in the video room, in meetings, on the practice field and conducting self drills, where does the student gain advanced study time. Yes, the student gets basic study in and can meet the grades, but where does advanced study come in under this scenario? It simply can not.

By moving to a pay for play model, the student can spend money independently and spend time more freely if given the opportunity for flexible scheduling.

Since I will always advocate for academics over sports, I would suggest the following.

Recruiting be banned.
Students get recruited for scheduling, ticket taking, and everything related to the management of the sport, including coaching and training.

None of this will ever happen

Recruiting be banned.

Dean, you have the solution to it all. In the meantime, let's have a beer.

You mean like a scholarship?

The same scholarship that could be pulled? Nope, I don't mean that.

If the scholarship would be pulled to open up scholarships, how much value does it really have?

If a kid is forced to transfer to a lesser school academically, boy, that scholarship is really paying off.

I'd agree it's worth something if schools don't oversign and cut, but if they can just cut and all of that, it's worthless.

If teams didn't cut, it still wouldn't be payment but it'd have some semblance of fairness.

This reminds me of something - about 20 yrs ago, I was covering a team in IA that went to the state finals in Volleyball. 3 girls on that team signed D1 scholarships. A year later, all 3 had left the school they signed with. I saw one of the girls the next summer, and asked her what happened. She said, "it was like a job. They wanted volleyball to be my entire life, and I wanted to get more out of college than just being a volleyball player."

That is D1 sports, and this a volleyball example - not a higher-profile, big-money sport like football. It is a BIG business (and in the case of the Gophers, a B1G business....).

If Dean wants to blow up the entire system and start over, more power to him - but at the risk of sounding cynical, I'm betting on the big money to win out. Don't forget, the big TV money helps keep the major D1 programs going.

And Dean - bleep the Oles - Auggies rule!

This reminds me of something - about 20 yrs ago, I was covering a team in IA that went to the state finals in Volleyball. 3 girls on that team signed D1 scholarships. A year later, all 3 had left the school they signed with. I saw one of the girls the next summer, and asked her what happened. She said, "it was like a job. They wanted volleyball to be my entire life, and I wanted to get more out of college than just being a volleyball player."

That is D1 sports, and this a volleyball example - not a higher-profile, big-money sport like football. It is a BIG business (and in the case of the Gophers, a B1G business....).

If Dean wants to blow up the entire system and start over, more power to him - but at the risk of sounding cynical, I'm betting on the big money to win out. Don't forget, the big TV money helps keep the major D1 programs going.

Random thoughts to follow:

The coaches are responding to financial incentives (huge ones in the case of football and basketball).

As long as their livelihood depends on winning they will push the players as hard as they can get away with. This only makes sense. If the social sciences professor was given a 5000 stipend to coach the tennis team they would be motivated almost solely by pride and dedication to the kids and might even have the kids best interest in mind.

Many professions put huge demands on their participants time. These athletes probably aren't used to working all the time, like many will be asked to do once they leave college. The cynical side of me says, too bad. If you want to laze with our pals then do it. If you want to do what it takes to win championships then do it.

Life ain't always fair.

Phhhhtttthh!

Top Bottom