Jerry Kill - New Mexico State

It was an odd press-conference.
1. No mention of Rebecca Kill. He even said something to the effect of "I'll be out in the community. I go out to eat all the time. I don't have time to cook."

2. Said his health issues were behind him.

3. Took a jab at TCU for not paying him and still owing him money. "They think I was going to do that for free?"

4. Said that when he left MN he was offered jobs by Jim Harbaugh and Dabo Sweeney but ultimately went to work for Snyder at K-State. I just thought that was interesting and odd. Usually you don't brag about job offers.

5. Said "I have a chip on my shoulder. You counted the old man out but I'm back." Who counted him out? Who is his chip against?
This guy is an odd duck, just can't get out of his own way. His ego seems to grow by the year, a real Walter White.

1. No mention of Rebecca Kill. He even said something to the effect of "I'll be out in the community. I go out to eat all the time. I don't have time to cook."

3. Took a jab at TCU for not paying him and still owing him money. "They think I was going to do that for free?"

4. Said that when he left MN he was offered jobs by Jim Harbaugh and Dabo Sweeney but ultimately went to work for Snyder at K-State. I just thought that was interesting and odd. Usually you don't brag about job offers.

5. Said "I have a chip on my shoulder. You counted the old man out but I'm back." Who counted him out? Who is his chip against?
If his wife is out of picture that is very sad.
I wonder if she just refused to follow him around anymore.

If his wife is out of picture that is very sad.
I wonder if she just refused to follow him around anymore.
I remember him talking about his wife having to watch him while he was sleeping or something like that and he couldn't do that to her anymore during his exit.

For some folks their job is who they are and ... they don't know how to be anything else.

I liked Jerry a lot. Was not a person who thought Claeys should have ever been named full time HC and glad the change was made. Didn't like Jerry losing his mind over Fleck being hired.

Fleck has taken the high road on this ever since
, and Kill has not. According to what media members hint at, Jerry has been ripping Fleck since to recruits with some awful stuff.

I think Jerry will turn things around at NM State like he usually does. But my expectation for him off the field are higher than he's been able to hold himself to, and that reflects on yourself as a person.

During his press conference he called out TCU because they haven't paid him yet for being HC.
He said "They think I was going to do that for free?"

So somehow Jerry had a miscommunication on what his interim agreement would be. Very similar to the lack of knowledge Claeys had about his contract and how he messed up his chance to leverage the U for a multi-year deal.

That's a bit tacky on Kill to air that out in my book just days after leaving.

Can understand why Kill's ego is pushing him to do this. Not happy about it. Doubt his wife is happy with it. Or that the epilepsy foundation pushed for it. Though they are probably happy about it.

The bolded parts? Fleck has indeed taken the high road after the initial days. Though talking about how terrible the culture was when he got here is what started the whole thing. "Not gonna comment on that" would have been the best response for all concerned.

The other? Claeys had zero leverage with the U. It was a "take it or leave it" deal when offered. But he probably had dreamed about being a Head Coach for his whole life. Maybe Beth Gioetz could have saved him but doubt it. Once Coyle got the job he was gone period.

Would have been better if he turned it down and left. Might not have had the problems, or record, that he got in '16 but everybody could have lived with it. Certainly won't get all the "he's too fat to be the face of Gopher football" complaints anymore either.

Can understand why Kill's ego is pushing him to do this. Not happy about it. Doubt his wife is happy with it. Or that the epilepsy foundation pushed for it. Though they are probably happy about it.

The bolded parts? Fleck has indeed taken the high road after the initial days. Though talking about how terrible the culture was when he got here is what started the whole thing. "Not gonna comment on that" would have been the best response for all concerned.

The other? Claeys had zero leverage with the U. It was a "take it or leave it" deal when offered. But he probably had dreamed about being a Head Coach for his whole life. Maybe Beth Gioetz could have saved him but doubt it. Once Coyle got the job he was gone period.

Would have been better if he turned it down and left. Might not have had the problems, or record, that he got in '16 but everybody could have lived with it. Certainly won't get all the "he's too fat to be the face of Gopher football" complaints anymore either.

When did Fleck say this? He talked about changing the culture, which 99% of coaches do when taking a new job. I don't remember Fleck saying the 'culture was terrible' when he arrived.

Kill will turn it around as they join a conference and don't multiple P5 teams each year. They might miss those game checks however.

Kill will turn it around as they join a conference and don't multiple P5 teams each year. They might miss those game checks however.
I'm not sure those schools can even afford to operate without payday games ...

When did Fleck say this? He talked about changing the culture, which 99% of coaches do when taking a new job. I don't remember Fleck saying the 'culture was terrible' when he arrived.
Good point. That is what he said. However nearly all the media interpreted to mean the culture was bad when he got here.

Which is why he's said a couple of times at least, with a smile on his "Can I talk about culture".

Let’s let Kill’s unfortunate remarks go. He is very loyal to his friends and he was upset that his team of coaches was not retained by the U.
Kill did an excellent job in building our program when others didn’t want the job. Let’s give him a round of applause when introduced and move on to the game.
No thanks. I really liked Kill as a coach when he was here, but he showed his true colors after he had to resign due to his own stubbornness. He has no one to blame but himself for how the Kill/Claeys era ended here, and he was the one who kept taking unnecessary shots at Fleck behind his back, not the other way around.

You could always find Denny Green on the high road, but you definitely won't find Jerry Kill there.
Jerry kill showed himself to be a petty, bitter, immature individual.

he didn’t become that after he quit. He has always been that guy.

I still appreciate what he did for the program though. Mason elevated the program to mediocrity and Brewster almost took it back the abyss of the Late 80s and early to mid 90s

And the culture did need to change. We have gone from elated at 8-5 with loss in bowl game to people wanting coordinators fired for the same season

Fleck has changed expectations and culture for the better

Is he talking to epilepsy there? wtf man

oddly, Kill was the Gophers coach the last time I attended a game in person- 9/12/2015 @ Colorado St

I liked Jerry a lot. Was not a person who thought Claeys should have ever been named full time HC and glad the change was made. Didn't like Jerry losing his mind over Fleck being hired.

Fleck has taken the high road on this ever since, and Kill has not. According to what media members hint at, Jerry has been ripping Fleck since to recruits with some awful stuff.

I think Jerry will turn things around at NM State like he usually does. But my expectation for him off the field are higher than he's been able to hold himself to, and that reflects on yourself as a person.

During his press conference he called out TCU because they haven't paid him yet for being HC.
He said "They think I was going to do that for free?"

So somehow Jerry had a miscommunication on what his interim agreement would be. Very similar to the lack of knowledge Claeys had about his contract and how he messed up his chance to leverage the U for a multi-year deal.

That's a bit tacky on Kill to air that out in my book just days after leaving.

Loose lips/social impropriety could be signs he's losing it. This could be an entertaining if somewhat sad ride the next few years.

He did the whole “I guess I’m a bad coach” song and dance thing here at times which was mildly irritating but airing dirty laundry with PJ’s private life and payroll issues with his former employer is a whole different level. Hire an attorney or agent guys. Good grief.

Yeah, the press conference was strange. Honestly, he doesn't seem to be in a good head space. For a guy who is being introduced to a new program, he seems bitter, down, and just off.

I don't like the things Kill said about the program after he left but I hope things are alright with him.

Pretty sure he didn't say that. I'm pretty sure he said something like "I changed the culture". As a result, the change can be good, bad or different. Kill took offense to being accused of instilling a bad culture. I think Kill overall improved the culture from Brewster. Although his tactic of having players not meeting his demands, to wear the pink/brown (whatever) jersey, indicating they were a golden loafer (or something like that), was poor form in my opinion. I think the culture under Claeys probably became more lax and probably deteriorated, but I could be wrong.

ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. since 2000 the boys have been impacted at emporia state, southern illinois, northern illinois, minnesota, kansas state, rutgers, back at southern illinois, virginia tech, tcu and now potentially new mexico state. ol' jer' does this because this is his calling. he's a fix it guy. new mexico state needs fixin' and rebecca may give the green light because the boys need to be turned into men.
OMG! What the hell is wrong with me. Saw the OP, shook my head, and thought, "Not even going to click on it." Now--a whole week later--the frick'n lightbulb went on and I thought, "How could you forget, you dumb ass?" Immediately clicked and started scrolling and now I have been rewarded. Thank you, Go4!!! (Once again)

Brewster exited with a heck of a lot more class than Jerry did. Brew may be an awful HC, but I will always have more respect for him as a man than Jerry.
I agree
Worse coach, better presentation of himself for sure. Classier guy

I agree
Worse coach, better presentation of himself for sure. Classier guy
Yeah, and people hate Brew now because he dreamed too big. I get it, he failed and it's easy to make fun of now. But I have way more respect for a guy that like Brew than the forever pessimist/cynic/etc.

He wanted the Gophers to go to the Rose Bowl. He was excited and passionate about it and he was a little corny. He just wasn't a great coach. There are worse things in the world.

I actually feel kind of sad for him. In a short span of time, he has gone from coaching a Big Ten school to success to this. I still admire the Killer but he seems to be going to route of a few coaches who just couldn't hang it up after very successful careers. What can he realistically prove in a job like this that will have any national significance?

I actually feel kind of sad for him. In a short span of time, he has gone from coaching a Big Ten school to success to this. I still admire the Killer but he seems to be going to route of a few coaches who just couldn't hang it up after very successful careers. What can he realistically prove in a job like this that will have any national significance?
He needs football. Looks like it’s all he has at this point. I hope he does well.

Bah, he is a millionaire with a girlfriend half his age. Don’t waste any time feeling bad for him.

Brewster exited with a heck of a lot more class than Jerry did. Brew may be an awful HC, but I will always have more respect for him as a man than Jerry.
I don't actually blame Brewster - over-estimating your abilities is required to make it in this world. The fault for Brewster is in the AD for falling for the song and dance. I still remember the reaction on here when he was hired - it was a 'who?' reaction but then hoping for the best believing the AD knew what he was doing - he didn't.

I think part of this is that the AD didn't require Brewster to declare who was committed to joining his staff - I go the impression that Brewster was just as surprised by being hired as the rest of us so of course he was caught flat footed with having to pull together his staff.

This may not be a popular opinion, but give Brewster TC as assistant head coach and I think he would have done the same if not better than Kill. By the end of his tenure, he got the offense figured out a bit better but just failed in the 'running a program' aspect as he was learning on the job without and experienced team of assistants.

WTF is Kill talking about. He was supported like crazy when he left.

Top Bottom