Jerry Kill - New Mexico State

He should bring Limey and TC onboard and make a reality show out of it. That’s where the real money is made.
No Limey - Tim Beck is his O Coordinator
Nate Dreilling - D Coordinator
Pitt State ties

Someone on GopherHole will need to set up a poll for predictions as to what the postgame handshake will consist of.....

Las Cruces is an interesting town and New Mexico State's campus has an old world charm.
Kill is a grown man who was able to seemingly control his seizures and fulfill both of his roles at TCU.
So why not give it a shot?
Who will be his DC? If it is Claeys that would be great fun.
Kill seems to have struck a nerve in some MN fans for being upset and speaking out about how Claeys was treated.
Kill did do some good things to wipe away the stain that Brewster left.
Can he control it / his health?

When he was here the story was that the only risk of the seizures were the falls from the seizures themselves.

Then when he quit he seemed to indicate he wasn’t taking his meds and he indicated his doctors told him he was risking more than just seizures if he didn’t take his meds.

Those were verify different stories.

I’m not convinced suddenly we know that Jerry is ok to go … even if he says so.

I think I am one of the few here that never really liked Kill. I always thought his only goal was to build a middle of the pack team, not an actual contender. I realize that since he has left, a lot of fans have now turned on him, but he had strong, strong support at the U and on this board for his whole coaching tenure. I think his accomplishments were highly inflated here because he cleaned up the Brewster mess, not because he actually accomplished a whole lot. Under Kill, our team had no identity, which makes recruiting hard in my opinion. This is the one thing that I really loved about the Mason teams - our OLine and run game was known throughout the nation. Because of Barber, Minnesota was mentioned on Sundays. If Mason had ever thought about coaching at the U beyond the next 2 years, he could have really built that into something.

So, for me, Kill was just sort of "blah". Brewster had a big personality at least and promised the recruiting edge (which came down to lowering character standards apparently). So, I was never a big fan of Kill because I always thought that so long as he made the team average, he would be here for as long as he wanted - which is basically what happened.

I am still not sold on PJ as I still see flashes of Brewster. But, the on the field performance has been pretty solid so I can't complain too much. He is the first coach that I actually feel is a true upgrade over Mason. This season is a perfect example - had we taken care of business vs. BG and Illinois, people would be super high on this program now. But, after getting sold a bad bill of goods with Brewster and Kill, people remain a bit more skeptical now.

As to Kill, enjoy your new job in the lower tier. Maybe the lowered expectations and lower stress is more fitting for his lifestyle. I don't think he will ever make it back up to the P5 level but that is probably not a life he would even choose at this point. I don't have any ill will towards him - he is just like that annoying co-worker that you don't miss when he finally moves on. Addition by subtraction.

I think I am one of the few here that never really liked Kill. I always thought his only goal was to build a middle of the pack team, not an actual contender. I realize that since he has left, a lot of fans have now turned on him, but he had strong, strong support at the U and on this board for his whole coaching tenure. I think his accomplishments were highly inflated here because he cleaned up the Brewster mess, not because he actually accomplished a whole lot. Under Kill, our team had no identity, which makes recruiting hard in my opinion. This is the one thing that I really loved about the Mason teams - our OLine and run game was known throughout the nation. Because of Barber, Minnesota was mentioned on Sundays. If Mason had ever thought about coaching at the U beyond the next 2 years, he could have really built that into something.

So, for me, Kill was just sort of "blah". Brewster had a big personality at least and promised the recruiting edge (which came down to lowering character standards apparently). So, I was never a big fan of Kill because I always thought that so long as he made the team average, he would be here for as long as he wanted - which is basically what happened.

I am still not sold on PJ as I still see flashes of Brewster. But, the on the field performance has been pretty solid so I can't complain too much. He is the first coach that I actually feel is a true upgrade over Mason. This season is a perfect example - had we taken care of business vs. BG and Illinois, people would be super high on this program now. But, after getting sold a bad bill of goods with Brewster and Kill, people remain a bit more skeptical now.

As to Kill, enjoy your new job in the lower tier. Maybe the lowered expectations and lower stress is more fitting for his lifestyle. I don't think he will ever make it back up to the P5 level but that is probably not a life he would even choose at this point. I don't have any ill will towards him - he is just like that annoying co-worker that you don't miss when he finally moves on. Addition by subtraction.
PJ is the best coach at the U in my lifetime and it's not close but I think you're minimizing the depths of the program prior to Kill's arrival. During Brew's run, we only won 25% of our Big 10 games. By the end of Kill/Claeys' time at the U, we were close to a .500 Big 10 team.

Taking a program from absolutely putrid to OK is a giant step. We wouldn't be where we are today if we made the wrong hire that year and we wouldn't have had a number of players who have helped us to this day.

Can he control it / his health?

When he was here the story was that the only risk of the seizures were the falls from the seizures themselves.

Then when he quit he seemed to indicate he wasn’t taking his meds and he indicated his doctors told him he was risking more than just seizures if he didn’t take his meds.

Those were verify different stories.

I’m not convinced suddenly we know that Jerry is ok to go … even if he says so.
Every seizure makes another seizure more likely.
Falling in a dangerous place, inability to drive a car, poor respiration can lead to permanently damaged brain etc.
I have no knowledge of Kill's seizure control or the side effects of his medicines. It just seems he was able to finction well enough to be made interim head coach and his new employer clearly thinks Kill can function as a HC.

Taking a program from absolutely putrid to OK is a giant step. We wouldn't be where we are today if we made the wrong hire that year and we wouldn't have had a number of players who have helped us to this day.
For me, the difference is between a perennial bottom feeder and team with some recent success. In the case of a perennial bottom feeder, it is a near impossible task. I terms of a team with at least some recent success, I don't think it is such a monumental task. Then again, I tend to look at total wins and bowl appearances - at the end of the day, I don't think many people look into the quality of the wins (B1G vs, OOC) as much as the number of the wins and bowl appearances. It matters in season, but in hindsight, I think a win becomes a win - so, Mason's padding is not punished in my book. For me, I really wish Brewster would have tried his best to retain Mason's staff and then just focused on the recruiting - if he would have stayed ZBS and not tried his spread, I think the fall off would have been minimal is any. Brew's main problem was coming in with no prior staff so he didn't have anyone to guide him on if his plans were feasible.

Let’s let Kill’s unfortunate remarks go. He is very loyal to his friends and he was upset that his team of coaches was not retained by the U.
Kill did an excellent job in building our program when others didn’t want the job. Let’s give him a round of applause when introduced and move on to the game.
I'd agree if he had just expressed his frustration after Claeys was fired but that's not what he did. He went out of his way to bash Fleck publicly several years after the fact. His character took a big hit after that IMO.

I loved Jerry Kill when he was the Gopher coach. I felt like he was an excellent coach at taking 2 and 3 star guys and getting them to NFL or near NFL levels. I also felt like if it weren't for his health, the team would have usually been in the 7-5 range with chances at conference division championships every few years. That all seemed really exciting compared to Brewster, and I also liked the huge improvements in academic success while he was coach.

I will always remember how awful I felt for him when he had to step down. I didn't want that to happen and I felt horrible for him personally because coaching was clearly a life's passion for him and he wasn't that old. I was prepared to stand and cheer loudly for him at any and all future visits by him for reunions or recognition at the bank.

But then along came all the petty stuff he pulled and said later. Sadly, that burned up all the good tidings and you can now count me among the people that "turned on him." I don't wish him failure or anything like that. I just feel like I misjudged him a bit and find him to be far more petty than I would have imagined. Bummer. Won't cheer against him personally, but don't feel like I should be "backing" him either.

Deep pocketed boosters, such as myself, are thrilled by the prospect of having such an esteemed ball coach prowl the sidelines at Aggie Memorial Stadium.
Just wait until he hires Patterson as his OC and Claeys as his DC!

I mean, that's just an O.K. Corral of ball coaches, right thar.

Someone on GopherHole will need to set up a poll for predictions as to what the postgame handshake will consist of.....

LEACH-F-U.gif

But really I suspect professional ... just because Jerry in his new position will feel like he should, and PJ generally does too.

Gotta set an example.

And seriously why waste time / focus on new mexico state / jerry?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...pj-fleck-minnesota-golden-gophers/2924275002/

"I just think sometimes ego gets carried away and when he went into Minnesota and treated the people the way he treated my guys, and telling them he had to go in and completely change the culture, it was a bad culture and bad people. He made it sound like we didn't know what we were doing and I took it personal," Kill said.

In the interview, Kill said he helped Fleck — a former assistant at Northern Illinois — get the job at Western Michigan. Fleck's rebuilding effort there, which culminated in a 13-1 record in 2016, earned him the job at Minnesota.

"You just don't treat people that have been with you and helped your career and you don't even talk to them once you get the job," Kill said.

"He changed a lot, I'll just be honest with you guys."

Kill and Fleck did talk once, after the latter assumed the job, but according to Kill their conversation "wasn't good." He said that's the last time he and Fleck spoke, adding "And it will be the last time."

"Do I still root for the Gophers? I do. Do I enjoy him running up and down the sidelines? No. Do I think that he's about the players? No. He's about himself... You think he thinks about the players? I just lost a lot of respect," Kill said.

"I guess maybe disappointment is the better way to put P.J., and disappointed on how he handled some things."

I think Kill was just pissed that Coyle, with president Kaler and Regents' blessing, scapegoated the entire situation on Claeys, in order to: i) get the guy they wanted, and ii) make it look like the University was taking a tough stance on what happened.

Last edited:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...pj-fleck-minnesota-golden-gophers/2924275002/

"I just think sometimes ego gets carried away and when he went into Minnesota and treated the people the way he treated my guys, and telling them he had to go in and completely change the culture, it was a bad culture and bad people. He made it sound like we didn't know what we were doing and I took it personal," Kill said.
Saying he wants to change the culture doesn't automatically mean the last culture was bad. Every new coach changes the culture to some extent.

Saying he wants to change the culture doesn't automatically mean the last culture was bad. Every knew coach changes the culture to some extent.
Yeah I think some folks took some stuff about that personally, and it wasn't about them...

And I kinda have trouble with the idea that Jerry takes off ... never comes back except to sell a book. And then gets pissy about his culture.

Bro... you left. What culture?

Top Bottom