Jerry Kill - New Mexico State

Let’s let Kill’s unfortunate remarks go. He is very loyal to his friends and he was upset that his team of coaches was not retained by the U.
Kill did an excellent job in building our program when others didn’t want the job. Let’s give him a round of applause when introduced and move on to the game.
No thanks. I really liked Kill as a coach when he was here, but he showed his true colors after he had to resign due to his own stubbornness. He has no one to blame but himself for how the Kill/Claeys era ended here, and he was the one who kept taking unnecessary shots at Fleck behind his back, not the other way around.

You could always find Denny Green on the high road, but you definitely won't find Jerry Kill there.

I think Kill was just pissed that Coyle, with president Kaler and Regents' blessing, scapegoated the entire situation on Claeys, in order to: i) get the guy they wanted, and ii) make it look like the University was taking a tough stance on what happened.
Claeys didn't help himself any with his comments on the situation either, although I think he knew he wasn't going to be coming back either way.

Claeys didn't help himself any with his comments on the situation either, although I think he knew he wasn't going to be coming back either way.
Really? I think he was completely blindsided. I think he thought he had won his job by winning the bowl game against Wash State.

Sure, in hindsight, it was basically a career-ending move to make the Tweet he did. At the time, I think he thought he was just doing the right thing in the sense of locker-room camaraderie and literally just supporting his players.

It gave Kaler and Coyle the ammo they wanted.

In the case of TC - I think it is very clear he was fired over character issues for the team and the publicity it brought. So, I can see where Kill would be angry that PJ is highlighting the fact that the culture needed to change - whether it needed to change or not - they needed to state this in the press. Seems like PJ didn't pad that fact to Kill and Jerry is butthurt over it. Frankly, I don't really care if Jerry's feelings are hurt. I actually feel worst for TC. TC was a good coach and his name is forever going to be linked to a 'gang rape'. At worse, he had lax control over recruiting but I suspect the U at its worse is still tame compared to what other schools are/were doing.

TC sleepwalked through the whole PR ordeal.

He couldn’t solve the problems, but he sure seemed disconnected / not HC like.

Just wait until he hires Patterson as his OC and Claeys as his DC!

I mean, that's just an O.K. Corral of ball coaches, right thar.
He has already hired his OC and DC guys and it’s not Claeys or Limegrover.
Tim Beck is his O Coordinator
Nate Dreilling - D Coordinator
Pitt State ties

Let’s let Kill’s unfortunate remarks go. He is very loyal to his friends and he was upset that his team of coaches was not retained by the U.
Kill did an excellent job in building our program when others didn’t want the job. Let’s give him a round of applause when introduced and move on to the game.
No thanks. "Unfortunate remarks" doesn't do justice to what Kill said. He threw the university, current coach, and team under the bus and then proceeded to drive the bus over them. An unfortunate remark is when you accidentally let something slip. Kill has repeatedly bashed both the U and the coaching staff here now. Its more sad than anything. Hope we beat them by 40 and use all 3 timeouts at the end of the game a la Kirk

In the case of TC - I think it is very clear he was fired over character issues for the team and the publicity it brought. So, I can see where Kill would be angry that PJ is highlighting the fact that the culture needed to change - whether it needed to change or not - they needed to state this in the press. Seems like PJ didn't pad that fact to Kill and Jerry is butthurt over it. Frankly, I don't really care if Jerry's feelings are hurt. I actually feel worst for TC. TC was a good coach and his name is forever going to be linked to a 'gang rape'. At worse, he had lax control over recruiting but I suspect the U at its worse is still tame compared to what other schools are/were doing.
I had the feeling Coyle wanted to get rid of Claeys even without the off the field stuff but that just made it easier.

I had the feeling Coyle wanted to get rid of Claeys even without the off the field stuff but that just made it easier.
I think it's obvious. Claeys is good DC, and he was a good HC for one year. But long-term he's not the guy anyone would want as the face of a big time P5 program.

Someone on GopherHole will need to set up a poll for predictions as to what the postgame handshake will consist of.....
If it’s like this years Iowa State game, there won’t be one. What a jerk!

I don't disagree with you - but the off the field stuff made it possible as the only excuse that he could feed the press given the on field performance. If you go back and look at that season: 9-4 overall which included an OT loss to #7PSU, lost by 7 to Iowa due to giving up 8pts in the 4th Q, lost to Nebraska (ranked #21 at the time) by 7 after giving up 7 in the 4th Q, and lost by 14 to the #9 Badgers giving up 21 in the 4th - which included the most epic QB collapse ever witnessed by this Gopher fan by ML. Then, he rallied the team with so many people missing to win the bowl game. I know after 2019, many Gopher fans will poo-poo this season - but that was one heckuva season. Outside of ML's epic collapse, that team was minutes away from a 1 loss season if things had closed out differently in a few games.

I’m a huge Kill fan and I’m happy for him. I hope he can stay healthy, he’s a hell of a football coach and person. He did a heck of a lot for Minnesota. Can’t help but root for him.

Wasn’t classy what he said regarding Fleck, but he’s going to stand up for his guys. He went through shit at Minnesota and made it a hell of a lot better. He didn’t have an AD like Mark Coyle.

I’m a huge Kill fan and I’m happy for him. I hope he can stay healthy, he’s a hell of a football coach and person. He did a heck of a lot for Minnesota. Can’t help but root for him.

Wasn’t classy what he said regarding Fleck, but he’s going to stand up for his guys. He went through shit at Minnesota and made it a hell of a lot better. He didn’t have an AD like Mark Coyle.
He wasn’t even talking to the last AD.

How much of this is replacement syndrome? Mason wasn't exactly fond of Brewster. This was prior to coaching a down.

This was clear. It's why Coyle got heat (deservedly so) for playing the whole culture card. He didn't want Claeys and he didn't have the decency to just be honest about why. I was always 100% cool with him not wanting Claeys, but to sort of hide behind a BS sexual assault allegation because he didn't have the integrity to be honest was a bad look (IMO).

This was clear. It's why Coyle got heat (deservedly so) for playing the whole culture card. He didn't want Claeys and he didn't have the decency to just be honest about why. I was always 100% cool with him not wanting Claeys, but to sort of hide behind a BS sexual assault allegation because he didn't have the integrity to be honest was a bad look (IMO).

100% this. It would be interesting to map out how this would play out today with the contrast of 'me too' offset by the new Title IX guidance where innocence and a sense of fairness is somewhat restored. Take TC's comments now in today's framework and it would be really hard to lay any dirt on him over the 'incident'. For me, I thought the process was completely unfair and stacked against the players which made me 100% okay with TC's handling of the situation and statements. I don't know if it would change the perceptions of others.

How much of this is replacement syndrome? Mason wasn't exactly fond of Brewster. This was prior to coaching a down.
Why would ANYONE be fond of Brewster? The guy was a clown.

Is Brewster the only former coach who has taken the high road recently?
What a guy!

I liked Jerry a lot. Was not a person who thought Claeys should have ever been named full time HC and glad the change was made. Didn't like Jerry losing his mind over Fleck being hired.

Fleck has taken the high road on this ever since, and Kill has not. According to what media members hint at, Jerry has been ripping Fleck since to recruits with some awful stuff.

I think Jerry will turn things around at NM State like he usually does. But my expectation for him off the field are higher than he's been able to hold himself to, and that reflects on yourself as a person.

During his press conference he called out TCU because they haven't paid him yet for being HC.
He said "They think I was going to do that for free?"

So somehow Jerry had a miscommunication on what his interim agreement would be. Very similar to the lack of knowledge Claeys had about his contract and how he messed up his chance to leverage the U for a multi-year deal.

That's a bit tacky on Kill to air that out in my book just days after leaving.

Why would ANYONE be fond of Brewster? The guy was a clown.
He failed as a HC, but he never said anything bad about the school afterwards, and as far as I can tell is a good TE coach / very good recruiter.

Not being a good HC doesn’t qualify as “clown” to me.

Failing is part of learning / growing.

Jerry hasn't really stuck anywhere since leaving the U. My guess is this is 3-5 years max. I appreciate what Kill did here, he inherited a complete mess (capability and culture). But, how he's since talked about us is unnecessary and childish. I still expect him to coach from the bus next year since he wont' step foot in our stadium... :rolleyes:

I don't disagree with you - but the off the field stuff made it possible as the only excuse that he could feed the press given the on field performance. If you go back and look at that season: 9-4 overall which included an OT loss to #7PSU, lost by 7 to Iowa due to giving up 8pts in the 4th Q, lost to Nebraska (ranked #21 at the time) by 7 after giving up 7 in the 4th Q, and lost by 14 to the #9 Badgers giving up 21 in the 4th - which included the most epic QB collapse ever witnessed by this Gopher fan by ML. Then, he rallied the team with so many people missing to win the bowl game. I know after 2019, many Gopher fans will poo-poo this season - but that was one heckuva season. Outside of ML's epic collapse, that team was minutes away from a 1 loss season if things had closed out differently in a few games.
I agree. I have always felt that season was overlooked by fans and media in terms of all the "what ifs" that made it close to a VERY good season. Capping it with an exciting win over a highly regarded WSU team in a great upset while missing players was also very impressive. In terms of those "what ifs" (that you describe well), I think that season stacks up well with the one we just completed. The big difference is the expectations were higher going into this season. That '16 season just barely missed out on being a very sneaky memorable success. Instead the big scandal hit, Claeys was fired, and all the attention turned to Fleck. So, 2016 is more easily forgotten than it maybe should be.

Jerry hasn't really stuck anywhere since leaving the U. My guess is this is 3-5 years max. I appreciate what Kill did here, he inherited a complete mess (capability and culture). But, how he's since talked about us is unnecessary and childish. I still expect him to coach from the bus next year since he wont' step foot in our stadium... :rolleyes:
Maybe New Mexico has a guy in mind that Jerry is bringing in / along ... Jerry is maybe there just to set the tone?

For New Mexico State .... that 's not a bad plan if that's the case.

It was an odd press-conference.
1. No mention of Rebecca Kill. He even said something to the effect of "I'll be out in the community. I go out to eat all the time. I don't have time to cook."

2. Said his health issues were behind him.

3. Took a jab at TCU for not paying him and still owing him money. "They think I was going to do that for free?"

4. Said that when he left MN he was offered jobs by Jim Harbaugh and Dabo Sweeney but ultimately went to work for Snyder at K-State. I just thought that was interesting and odd. Usually you don't brag about job offers.

5. Said "I have a chip on my shoulder. You counted the old man out but I'm back." Who counted him out? Who is his chip against?

It was an odd press-conference.
1. No mention of Rebecca Kill. He even said something to the effect of "I'll be out in the community. I go out to eat all the time. I don't have time to cook."

2. Said his health issues were behind him.

3. Took a jab at TCU for not paying him and still owing him money. "They think I was going to do that for free?"

4. Said that when he left MN he was offered jobs by Jim Harbaugh and Dabo Sweeney but ultimately went to work for Snyder at K-State. I just thought that was interesting and odd. Usually you don't brag about job offers.

5. Said "I have a chip on my shoulder. You counted the old man out but I'm back." Who counted him out? Who is his chip against?
If his wife isn't there, they getting him a driver?

I remember Jerry saying that was her job a lot of the time.

Kill keeps digging himself a deeper hole for himself. The way he talks it sounds like he is desperate for attention, wants people to think of him highly, and wants to be known as one of the best coaches around.

He clearly changed after he left Minnesota. His health issues prevented him from finishing to coach here and he is angry about it. Rebecca probably is trying to calm him down but he isn't listening to her and thus a strained marriage right now (my opinion, not fact).

Top Bottom