Jerry Kill - New Mexico State

No one counted him out in any matter, he said himself he was retiring. Nobody had to count him as he said himself he was done.
Now this is mostly a semantics game that I have no interest in.

I think he's guessing that everyone just wrote him off and assumed he'd never be able to be a head coach again. I know I did. As you say, it just seemed like it was true.

I'm going to conclude that is reasonable, and leave it at that. Feel free to have the last word and/or disagree.

I took the "counting him out" line to mean that, after leaving MN, people were saying that his career was over - due to the health issues.

Hey, when he left MN, I certainly thought that he would never coach again - at least never have an active coaching role on the sidelines. Maybe a consultant type or analyst,

So I "counted him out" from that perspective.

I also have to assume that NMS would not hire a person with his health history unless they have a room full of doctors saying it's OK. given how risk-averse most organizations are, I just can't see a D1 school hiring a person unless they have some strong assurances that they are not facing any type of legal ramifications.

I took the "counting him out" line to mean that, after leaving MN, people were saying that his career was over - due to the health issues.

Hey, when he left MN, I certainly thought that he would never coach again - at least never have an active coaching role on the sidelines. Maybe a consultant type or analyst,

So I "counted him out" from that perspective.

I also have to assume that NMS would not hire a person with his health history unless they have a room full of doctors saying it's OK. given how risk-averse most organizations are, I just can't see a D1 school hiring a person unless they have some strong assurances that they are not facing any type of legal ramifications.
Legal ramifications? I would think the only ramification for the school would be losing your coach all of a sudden, like we did.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the time Jerry had the campus police called cuz of his parking spot being taken. He lost it that day and campus police chief Charlie laughed in his face.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the time Jerry had the campus police called cuz of his parking spot being taken. He lost it that day and campus police chief Charlie laughed in his face.
Did that really happen? That's hilarious.

For what it is worth, both TCU and New Mexico State both listed Kill as married to his wife Rebecca and together they have two kids.

Haven't watched the press conference and don't plan to but it would be odd for Kill not to mention Rebecca because he used to bring her up all the time. But obviously that doesn't have to mean anything in particular and would think if his bio still lists him as married then he almost certainly is.

Would be kind of interesting to know just how on board she is with all this though. She has seen what head coaching has done to him in the past and you would think would have to be a little nervous about him going back to it. But hey, maybe she really likes the paycheck and is willing to chance it :)

Kill's just pissed that Claeys was fired. Coyle was right to fire him. The last time we extended an assistant it was on the recommendation of "Carpetbagger Holtz", and we got stuck with Gudy-Guuuuuuuuenst.

There is 0% chance Kill did not know Minnesota was on the schedule. Should be called out on it. I can’t imagine any coach would take a job without looking at future schedules.
I am sure that you are probably right, but what would be the point of "calling him out" about it? He's probably just trying to defuse a potentially awkward conversation and keep the focus on his new job and his new team. (Not everybody eats those difficult conversations for breakfast.)

Then again, that makes absolutely zero sense. No one counted him out in any matter, he said himself he was retiring. Nobody had to count him as he said himself he was done.
Maybe behind the scenes he was pressured to retire and it rubbed him the wrong way

If that’s a true story he is even more juvenile than I thought he was

Not for calling, but for losing it

If that’s a true story he is even more juvenile than I thought he was

Not for calling, but for losing it
Who wants to visit Las Cruces, pick up a cheap used car at Casa de Autos, park it in Jerry's spot and set up a hidden camera? We can get it broadcast on Aggievision.

(I'm picturing Aggievision turning into a modern version of SCTV, focused on shenanigans surrounding the NMSU football team.)

It's pretty juvenile to call the police over a parking spot, in my opinion.
I mean calling the police and calling a parking attendant can be called the same thing but not the same thing

if he called 911 for it it might actually be a crime

Kill's just pissed that Claeys was fired. Coyle was right to fire him. The last time we extended an assistant it was on the recommendation of "Carpetbagger Holtz", and we got stuck with Gudy-Guuuuuuuuenst.
I have no problem with Coyle firing Claeys, how he did it was gross though.

I don't think any of us counted Jerry out. In fact, I think many of us figure he'll eventually be a part of every staff in college football before his career is over.
Even at his press conference where he quit someone from the U said they expected he would coach again.

Has the Aggievision production crew started building a set for the "Jerry Kill Show, brought to you by Casa De Autos" program yet? I'm assuming it will be a desert/mountain theme with earth colors, with some NMSU logos. I highly recommend a segment where Jerry can review a critical play with a clicker that puts the replay into forward and reverse rapidly, at his command.

Now this is mostly a semantics game that I have no interest in.

I think he's guessing that everyone just wrote him off and assumed he'd never be able to be a head coach again. I know I did. As you say, it just seemed like it was true.

I'm going to conclude that is reasonable, and leave it at that. Feel free to have the last word and/or disagree.
I agree. I think he was referring to counting him out as being a HC again and not just here in MN, but Nationally.

Lol, I think Jerry thinks he is more important than he really is. He is yesterdays news. If he really thinks he is going to get booed then he is admitting his tenure here was a failure which it was.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm wondering if Fleck already has the U of M media group building a 5 minute "Jerry Returns" video that will play prior to the game with the Jerry chants and Jerry-sota flags.

Taking the high road and giving Jerry a boatload of positive kudos just prior to the game is the kind recognition that would bother Jerry something fierce.

We all know Jerry would much sooner show up, be bitter, get booed, and be able to continue to live with anger and misery.

You know, I'm surprised New Mexico St agreed to hire Jerry with all of his own Jerry-sota marketing that was taking place.

Jerry-sota this, Jerry-sota that.

I'm not big into sloganeering. I want someone who can coach.

Top Bottom