Jerry Kill - New Mexico State

When did Fleck say this? He talked about changing the culture, which 99% of coaches do when taking a new job. I don't remember Fleck saying the 'culture was terrible' when he arrived.
Exactly, Fleck took the high road upon arrival. The fact is, the culture was kinda terrible when Fleck arrived.

Dude came back when he was selling his book and the crowd chanted

“JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!”

As for boos, every visiting team gets boos…
Yeah, if you listen to his press conference, it's pretty strange. He sounds like he has been spending many nights rehashing arguments (that never took place) in his head. It was such an odd tone for a a press conference where he was being introduced as a coach.

Kill is delusional re Minnesota. I see the perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone when we play them next year: 1. Shut Kill up and put him in his place and 2. Get Fleck motivated to crush an inferior non-conference opponent.

After that, I hope Kill finds peace professionally and personally. Sounds like he’s doing poorly on both fronts lately.

Kill is delusional re Minnesota. I see the perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone when we play them next year: 1. Shut Kill up and put him in his place and 2. Get Fleck motivated to crush an inferior non-conference opponent.

After that, I hope Kill finds peace professionally and personally. Sounds like he’s doing poorly on both fronts lately.
Honestly, I'm just kind of over his drama. It'll make that week kind of fun but I hope the Gophers just take care of business. I want them to smash them like they would any other inferior opponent.

I have a feeling our revamped offense won't play down to the competition in this non-conference game.

This is all a big joke. This time they really got us good. Don’t you guys see it?

WTF? Nobody counted him out. Far as I can tell, we all liked Country Jer during his time here. I know I did, and I hoped for the best in his post-coaching life. But now he's just a sorry, bitter old man hanging on at what is quite honestly the worst remote outpost of FBS football.

I wish him well, and I wish NMSU well, because I think they've been screwed over the years. But I'd love to see the Gophers crush them 84-3 next year.

I don't see how anybody on GH is thinking he was speaking about people in MN except for when a reporter asked him if he saw that he would be playing us next year. He responded that he didn't know until after he took the job and kinda smiled and said he would probably get boo'd. All of these quotes on here are being taken out of context and were responses to questions that were not about MN. I did see that he was donating his own money to jump start their fundraising and the comment he made about TCU not paying him yet was made because he also said that when he gets his money for stepping in for Patterson, he would also donate that to their fundraising campaign. I find it strange that so many people on GH are twisting his documented statements to fit their narrative.

I don't see how anybody on GH is thinking he was speaking about people in MN except for when a reporter asked him if he saw that he would be playing us next year. He responded that he didn't know until after he took the job and kinda smiled and said he would probably get boo'd. All of these quotes on here are being taken out of context and were responses to questions that were not about MN. I did see that he was donating his own money to jump start their fundraising and the comment he made about TCU not paying him yet was made because he also said that when he gets his money for stepping in for Patterson, he would also donate that to their fundraising campaign. I find it strange that so many people on GH are twisting his documented statements to fit their narrative.
Hi Jerry!

Dude! Don't mellow my harsh.

I don't think Jerry is "slamming" the U or anything ... but I don't think his comments are entirely random / unrelated either.

Who at their introductory conference mentions getting booed at some other place they didn't know they were playing?

Jerry has something rolling around in his head about the U.

He was supported like crazy when he left.
What does that have to do with "counting him out"?

Not saying he has any kind of valid gripe, but the two things aren't really in conflict at all.

Jerry has something rolling around in his head about the U.
There were very clearly conversations and phone calls that occurred that we don't know what was said and probably never will, that really gave him a bug up the ass about Coyle and Fleck, probably Kaler too.

It was an odd press-conference.
1. No mention of Rebecca Kill. He even said something to the effect of "I'll be out in the community. I go out to eat all the time. I don't have time to cook."

2. Said his health issues were behind him.

3. Took a jab at TCU for not paying him and still owing him money. "They think I was going to do that for free?"

4. Said that when he left MN he was offered jobs by Jim Harbaugh and Dabo Sweeney but ultimately went to work for Snyder at K-State. I just thought that was interesting and odd. Usually you don't brag about job offers.

5. Said "I have a chip on my shoulder. You counted the old man out but I'm back." Who counted him out? Who is his chip against?
#5 is weird, he has no right to have a chip on his shoulder, he wasn't fired by the U, he left because he couldn't handle it health wise. The U bent over backwards for him while he dealt with the health issues.

Probably refers to the time between when he left the U and now. My guess is that he has been actively trying to get back to being a head coach this whole time because he just can't handle not being the guy in charge of the football team. And teams probably weren't willing to hire him for that role because you know....he left the U since his health couldn't handle it.

#5 is weird, he has no right to have a chip on his shoulder, he wasn't fired by the U, he left because he couldn't handle it health wise. The U bent over backwards for him while he dealt with the health issues.

Probably refers to the time between when he left the U and now. My guess is that he has been actively trying to get back to being a head coach this whole time because he just can't handle not being the guy in charge of the football team. And teams probably weren't willing to hire him for that role because you know....he left the U since his health couldn't handle it.
I wonder if he hears about "well at Minnesota" when he goes job hunting ... understandably that would irk him. Not Minnesota's fault tho... couple that with walking away and saying he's not going to come back ... bad feelings.

Ulitmately I wonder if he wishes he hadn't left so suddenly / somewhare he realizes what he lost by doing so.

WTF is Kill talking about. He was supported like crazy when he left.

Yeah, everyone felt terrible for him.....I was no supporter of Kill for my own reasons but even I felt bad for him, having to give up his dream like that had to be very difficult. The U was super supportive of him up till the point he decided the U owed him some sort of token overlord position.

The only reason Kill will get booed at that game is if he spends the time leading up to the game saying he is going to get booed and talking trash about the U and his time there.

If he tries something different and goes with the high road the fans will give him a nice reception. Based on his recent track record though I am going to bet Kill will elect to take the low road and try to make it out like he was the victim here.

The only reason Kill will get booed at that game is if he spends the time leading up to the game saying he is going to get booed and talking trash about the U and his time there.

If he tries something different and goes with the high road the fans will give him a nice reception. Based on his recent track record though I am going to bet Kill will elect to take the low road and try to make it out like he was the victim here.
There will be boos.

But we booed Bowling Green too ... always some 'fun' boos.

That's a REALLY good write up.

I do wish it included Jerry's visit to the stadium after his retirement and the crowd chanting JERRY! It was a wonderful moment.

And then again he largely vanished from the scene / didn't visit ... by choice.

Last edited:

What does that have to do with "counting him out"?

Not saying he has any kind of valid gripe, but the two things aren't really in conflict at all.
Sure they are. "Counting him out" would mean the majority of people didn't think he could get it done, couldn't be successful, couldn't do the job. That's not even close to being true. Other than an idiot newspaper writer and maybe a few fans, who is he saying "you're wrong" to? The overwhelming majority of people supported him and whatever decision he wanted to make for his career and health. He's making this all into something it never was. And honestly, it's kinda an FU to the many fans that supported him through a difficult time.

Well I can say he is right about being counted out. I sure did, pretty shocked he would get another head coaching job with his health, but I'm no doctor, hopefully his health has greatly improved. Certainly looks slimmer, although he isn't getting any younger.

Well I can say he is right about being counted out. I sure did, pretty shocked he would get another head coaching job with his health, but I'm no doctor, hopefully his health has greatly improved. Certainly looks slimmer, although he isn't getting any younger.
New Mexico State is kinda perfect for him.

Smaller, it's not a great program, needs some structure (one might say could benefit from a culture change ...). It's a good fit for Jerry provide his health is ready for it.

Sure they are. "Counting him out" would mean the majority of people didn't think he could get it done, couldn't be successful, couldn't do the job.
You don't really think that's what the definition of "count him out" means??

It was referring entirely to the future and says absolutely nothing of the past.

I've never heard anyone use the phrase "well I'm counting him out" to mean "I don't think highly of his past performance".

The overwhelming majority of people supported him and whatever decision he wanted to make for his career and health.
Correct.

And then, they counted him out for any future head coaching jobs -- which at the time seemed perfectly reasonable, given his health.

Agreed

You don't really think that's what the definition of "count him out" means??

It was referring entirely to the future and says absolutely nothing of the past.

I've never heard anyone use the phrase "well I'm counting him out" to mean "I don't think highly of his past performance".

Correct.

And then, they counted him out for any future head coaching jobs -- which at the time seemed perfectly reasonable, given his health.
Then again, that makes absolutely zero sense. No one counted him out in any matter, he said himself he was retiring. Nobody had to count him as he said himself he was done.

Top Bottom