Jerry Kill - New Mexico State

Good lord we need to move on from this KR thing. Clearly the staff trusted Irving to return kicks, because he was doing it early in the year, then had to stop doing it when all the injuries at RB happened and then returned to doing it for the Wisconsin game.

During that game, Wisconsin was actively trying to kick away from Irving and the Gophers were doing what they could to get the ball to him on kickoffs.

If we have some depth at RB next year again I would fully expect Irving to be back there returning kicks and running them out on a regular basis.

I was not bothered at all by the way we handled punt returns this year. We saw first hand what could happen when the returner has to move a ton to go try and catch the ball as we narrowly avoided a massive disaster right at the end of the first half. If we don't come up with the muffed punt, Wisconsin potentially adds to their lead and the game turns out very different.

I think, in general, (and I am partially pulling this out of my posterior) analytics supports the notion most coaches are vastly too conservative, not the other way around. The analytics Iā€™ve seen mostly applies to passing on certain downs and distances, or going for it on fourth down, but may apply to PRs in terms of field position. It probably depends on how good the actual players are at executing. If the players arenā€™t capable than a different calculation. YMMV.

I really question the advisability of what Winfield did on that punt return. It would probably have been better, analytics-wise, for Winfield to back away from the punt, let it roll ten yards after it hit the ground, then let NMS down it at our 15 yard line. Less chance for an error on the Gophersā€™ part. šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ¤Æ
Post of the day!

Did we have any egregious losses against bad teams this year? I donā€™t expect that to happen again but even in 2019 the team played down to middling to bad competition. The guys may not be as ā€œupā€ for this one as the coaches and Kill will probably pull out all the stops with nothing to lose.
We had the loss to Illinois in '15. We were a Cobb fumble on our own goalline away from winning. But no realize signature wins and no glaring losses.

Good lord we need to move on from this KR thing. Clearly the staff trusted Irving to return kicks, because he was doing it early in the year, then had to stop doing it when all the injuries at RB happened and then returned to doing it for the Wisconsin game.

During that game, Wisconsin was actively trying to kick away from Irving and the Gophers were doing what they could to get the ball to him on kickoffs.

If we have some depth at RB next year again I would fully expect Irving to be back there returning kicks and running them out on a regular basis.

I was not bothered at all by the way we handled punt returns this year. We saw first hand what could happen when the returner has to move a ton to go try and catch the ball as we narrowly avoided a massive disaster right at the end of the first half. If we don't come up with the muffed punt, Wisconsin potentially adds to their lead and the game turns out very different.
Obviously, it is a choice by the coaches and specifically Fleck, not to risk it. But, don't talk about how we are going to be elite and then treat special teams as an opportunity to only avoid mistakes. There isn't a single team we played this year as afraid of making a mistake on special teams as the Gophers.

Can you imagine Saban at Alabama saying, "Well...we didn't think the risk of muffing a punt was worth the extra 10 yards the ball rolled." Everyone would completely lose their minds.

And if you want to argue we don't have the players that Alabama does, well of course that is true. Somehow everyone else we played found someone capable this season.

Don't just talk about being elite, act like it.

I think, in general, (and I am partially pulling this out of my posterior) analytics supports the notion most coaches are vastly too conservative, not the other way around. The analytics Iā€™ve seen mostly applies to passing on certain downs and distances, or going for it on fourth down, but may apply to PRs in terms of field position. It probably depends on how good the actual players are at executing. If the players arenā€™t capable than a different calculation. YMMV.

The above would agree with you

"There's not going to be many coaches my age [60] and with the epilepsy situation to get hired as a head coach,'' Kill said. "It's not like I was wanted all over the country. One school wanted me: New Mexico State.

"That's because the athletic director, Mario Moccia, believes in me, and the history for building up programs.''

He paused and said, "We have a long way to go here,'' stretching that "long'' with extra vowels.

That day in 2015, when Kill ended his tenure with the Gophers in its fifth season, it was announced as a retirement, not a resignation.

"I didn't think I would ever be back, for sure not as a head coach,'' Kill said. "The seizures had my memory messed up, everything messed up. I was so sick. I had nothing left in the gas tank.''

Pause. "That cost me a lot of things, but I wasn't going to cheat Minnesota. I left $8 million on the table, and the person I blame for that is myself.

"The doctors told me I had to change, that I had to try to stop controlling everything. I tried, but I failed. Offense, defense, recruiting, talking to donors. I couldn't stay out of it. I brought it on
myself.''
Pause. "I've never been the same since I left Minnesota.''..

"I'm healthy, I'm eating right, I've lost 25 pounds," Kill said. "And this time I'm not going to try to control everything. I've changed."

I feel like we heard a similar thing before.

Just hope it really is true. Hope the best for his health. Don't let this take years off your life, Jerry.

Interesting to see that 247 doesn't show a single commit in the 2022 class for Kill yet. Will be interesting to see what connections he can make to get a class in place.

"There's not going to be many coaches my age [60] and with the epilepsy situation to get hired as a head coach,'' Kill said. "It's not like I was wanted all over the country. One school wanted me: New Mexico State.

"That's because the athletic director, Mario Moccia, believes in me, and the history for building up programs.''

He paused and said, "We have a long way to go here,'' stretching that "long'' with extra vowels.

That day in 2015, when Kill ended his tenure with the Gophers in its fifth season, it was announced as a retirement, not a resignation.

"I didn't think I would ever be back, for sure not as a head coach,'' Kill said. "The seizures had my memory messed up, everything messed up. I was so sick. I had nothing left in the gas tank.''

Pause. "That cost me a lot of things, but I wasn't going to cheat Minnesota. I left $8 million on the table, and the person I blame for that is myself.

"The doctors told me I had to change, that I had to try to stop controlling everything. I tried, but I failed. Offense, defense, recruiting, talking to donors. I couldn't stay out of it. I brought it on
myself.''
Pause. "I've never been the same since I left Minnesota.''..

"I'm healthy, I'm eating right, I've lost 25 pounds," Kill said. "And this time I'm not going to try to control everything. I've changed."
So then what's with his comments about people counting him out? Sounds like he thought he was done at that point.

We had the loss to Illinois in '15. We were a Cobb fumble on our own goalline away from winning. But no realize signature wins and no glaring losses.
I think it was 2014. Lost 28-24 on a 4th quarter return of a Cobb fumble for a TD by Illinois. Miserable game. A tale of two halves from the defense (we looked terrible in the first half getting chewed up and spit out by Reilly O'Toole).

Interesting to see that 247 doesn't show a single commit in the 2022 class for Kill yet. Will be interesting to see what connections he can make to get a class in place.
Yeah, I am curious about what his recruiting looks like. He is pretty upper midwest specific, but I imagine he will probably get a lot of those Kansas jucos.

I do think it might be kind of difficult to get those MAC-caliber Illinois kids to skip a MAC school and go to New Jerrixco State.

I think it was 2014. Lost 28-24 on a 4th quarter return of a Cobb fumble for a TD by Illinois. Miserable game. A tale of two halves from the defense (we looked terrible in the first half getting chewed up and spit out by Reilly O'Toole).
Twas '14. Would have been the first 5 game B1G winning streak in decades.

So then what's with his comments about people counting him out? Sounds like he thought he was done at that point.

He did. The way he described it in Reusse's article, made it sound even worse then it did at the time he left. Wish he'd just admit the toll epilepsy has taken on him and just retire. If he flames out again how does that help his cause?

But here we are. Him trying to turn around New Mexico State and lead them back into a conference. While Gopher Hole has a 13 page thread, with 374 posts and 16,600+ views about a coach who left 6 years ago. Most of the posts talking about how much they don't care for him or are not interesting in what he says.

Not sure I understand. They hired a new coach and let him go?
What was gross about it?
The way Claeys had his name dragged through the mud was shameful. He obviously isn't cut out to be a B10 head coach and I wanted him gone as much as anyone, but Coyle handled it in an embarrassing fashion. I don't have much care for Jerry Kill at this point, but will always feel bad for Claeys.

The way Claeys had his name dragged through the mud was shameful. He obviously isn't cut out to be a B10 head coach and I wanted him gone as much as anyone, but Coyle handled it in an embarrassing fashion. I don't have much care for Jerry Kill at this point, but will always feel bad for Claeys.
Name dragged through the mud?
He was fired. AD didnā€™t say much about him. Said the program needed a culture change (it did) and he was right based on the fact 8-4 used to get people happy and now people are pissed.

it isnā€™t Coyleā€™s fault Claeys went on outside the lines and made TC look like an idiot

Yeah, I am curious about what his recruiting looks like. He is pretty upper midwest specific, but I imagine he will probably get a lot of those Kansas jucos.

I do think it might be kind of difficult to get those MAC-caliber Illinois kids to skip a MAC school and go to New Jerrixco State.
Well, the weather is nicer in Las Cruces. The average high in December is 58 degrees.
Other than it being extremely remote, it seems weird that they've never been able to get people to go there (even before the recent facilities problems). I've never been, but it seems like a place I would like to visit or live.

The move to a conference will help him with better schedule and competitive games, but still a terrible conference and will need 6 non-conference games to fill out the schedule.

New Mexico State
Jacksonville State
Liberty
Sam Houston State
UTEP
Florida International
Louisiana Tech

Still looking for 8th team.

The move to a conference will help him with better schedule and competitive games, but still a terrible conference and will need 6 non-conference games to fill out the schedule.

New Mexico State
Jacksonville State
Liberty
Sam Houston State
UTEP
Florida International
Louisiana Tech

You say terrible conference -- I say terribly winnable conference. NMSU is institutionally disadvantaged against most of those teams, but at least they aren't trying to fight uphill in the MW

You say terrible conference -- I say terribly winnable conference. NMSU is institutionally disadvantaged against most of those teams, but at least they aren't trying to fight uphill in the MW
They've been an independent. They played Alabama and Kentucky this year.

They've been an independent. They played Alabama and Kentucky this year.
I wasn't saying they've been in the MW -- but that is there most geographically logical home. At least with these other 6 teams they have a chance to win a conference title, which they wouldn't anywhere else.

New Mexico State
Jacksonville State
Liberty
Sam Houston State
UTEP
Florida International
Louisiana Tech

MTSU and WKU are still there. The MAC rejected them, and I don't think MTSU really wanted to go to the MAC.

MTSU is TNā€™s largest enrollment school. MAC said ā€˜nopeā€™. Hmmm

MTSU is TNā€™s largest enrollment school. MAC said ā€˜nopeā€™. Hmmm
MTSU has some potential:

-very close to Nashville
-lots of students as noted above
-OK weather, campus
-large pools of talent fairly close - Nashville, Memphis, Louisville, Atlanta, ect
-not very high admission standards
-stadium has good sight lines and is not tiny
-a very different program than nearby Vanderbilt, not seeking the same players, fans, ect
-good rival within reasonable distance in WKU

Name dragged through the mud?
He was fired. AD didnā€™t say much about him. Said the program needed a culture change (it did) and he was right based on the fact 8-4 used to get people happy and now people are pissed.

it isnā€™t Coyleā€™s fault Claeys went on outside the lines and made TC look like an idiot

They went 9-4 that season.

Top Bottom