Jerry Kill - New Mexico State

It's pretty juvenile to call the police over a parking spot, in my opinion.
Problem is Bob, we don't know that this is true. If it is true, then yes, it is very juvenile. Rumors or people making up stories is pretty juvenile as well.

New Mexico State....weren't these guys the Mickey Mouse operation that couldn't get their away jerseys made up in time so the Gophers had to wear white at home?

With all the supply chain issues, Jerry may want to worry less about the reaction from the crowd & get his uniform order placed.....

Problem is Bob, we don't know that this is true. If it is true, then yes, it is very juvenile. Rumors or people making up stories is pretty juvenile as well.
Yeah, we're saying the same thing.

My response to the post was "my god, i hope it's true" because I thought it was funny.

My point was that hypothetically, if someone called the campus police over a parking spot, that would be juvenile. I didn't start the rumor. I didn't give any credence to the rumor. I have no idea if there is any truth to it.

New Mexico State....weren't these guys the Mickey Mouse operation that couldn't get their away jerseys made up in time so the Gophers had to wear white at home?

With all the supply chain issues, Jerry may want to worry less about the reaction from the crowd & get his uniform order placed.....

YES.

Watch this to see a Antoine Winfield Jr punt return for a TD.

I know this about Jerry's time in Minnesota...that parking spot was damn important to him!!
He brought it up in several conversations when he was coaching and shortly after leaving.
It was definitely in his contract.

I know this about Jerry's time in Minnesota...that parking spot was damn important to him!!
He brought it up in several conversations when he was coaching and shortly after leaving.
It was definitely in his contract.
Yep, Full disclosure I have been a ‘pill’ at places of employment. So, yeah I was piling on Jerry and regret it.

For what it is worth, both TCU and New Mexico State both listed Kill as married to his wife Rebecca and together they have two kids.

Congrats to JerryKill. You can't fault a guy who is passionate about coaching.

First order of business for Jerry Kill: FIX AGGIE VISION.

Does everyone in New Mexico have nice tans?

I'm wondering if Fleck already has the U of M media group building a 5 minute "Jerry Returns" video that will play prior to the game with the Jerry chants and Jerry-sota flags.

Taking the high road and giving Jerry a boatload of positive kudos just prior to the game is the kind recognition that would bother Jerry something fierce.

We all know Jerry would much sooner show up, be bitter, get booed, and be able to continue to live with anger and misery.
I think it will be classy for the U, Mark Coyle, and Joan Gabel to honor Jerry Kill's contribution to rebuilding the foundation of the football team, and for taking the mantle to get the Athletic Village moving. I think that he deserves the recognition despite the bad blood for all that has transpired, said, and misconstrued.

I think it will be classy for the U, Mark Coyle, and Joan Gabel to honor Jerry Kill's contribution to rebuilding the foundation of the football team, and for taking the mantle to get the Athletic Village moving. I think that he deserves the recognition despite the bad blood for all that has transpired, said, and misconstrued.
And it would also kinda make Kill look even worse in a way. He keeps acting like he was a victim, nobody liked him, etc. Yet he got a ton of praise when he came back.

First order of business is to make sure they keep the lights on in the basketball arena.

Bad mouthed the U. Dead.

B.S.

absolutely not....i say fleck runs it up on him (please dont keep it vanilla this one time) and we send Jerry back home on a greyhound bus with a sack lunch as a parting gift.

absolutely not....i say fleck runs it up on him (please dont keep it vanilla this one time) and we send Jerry back home on a greyhound bus with a sack lunch as a parting gift.
Yup. I hope fleck & the boys hang 50

I agree that in many ways Kill did more for U sports off the field than on it with his fundraising for the Athletic Village. But he was given the opportunity to continue that work when he quit coaching, and he said "No thanks."

So this seems weird though I can't put my finger on it as to exactly why. Has another school done something like this for a former coach returning as the coach of an opponent?

YES.

Watch this to see a Antoine Winfield Jr punt return for a TD.
I really question the advisability of what Winfield did on that punt return. It would probably have been better, analytics-wise, for Winfield to back away from the punt, let it roll ten yards after it hit the ground, then let NMS down it at our 15 yard line. Less chance for an error on the Gophers’ part. 😵‍💫🤯

I really question the advisability of what Winfield did on that punt return. It would probably have been better, analytics-wise, for Winfield to back away from the punt, let it roll ten yards after it hit the ground, then let NMS down it at our 15 yard line. Less chance for an error on the Gophers’ part. 😵‍💫🤯

Too funny. It’s hard to believe MN evolved from Winfield (one of my all time favorite players) housing a punt to Annexstad back there doing an aircraft handler routine watching the ball roll.

Do we think there will there be any sort of tribute video for his return next year?
He seemed to have beef with Coyle and the way Tracy Clayes was fired in 2016. Not think he likes PJ very much.
It's a change of culture thing.

Too funny. It’s hard to believe MN evolved from Winfield (one of my all time favorite players) housing a punt to Annexstad back there doing an aircraft handler routine watching the ball roll.
People talk about Tanner’s regression (which I think will be magically “cured” with KC as OC and Simon as co-OC), but less remarked upon is our clear regression, or loss of nerve, on punt and KO returns. I know of very few elite teams that choose never to return punts or KOs. I find it strange how we have abandoned the offensive potential of punt and KO return teams.

Maybe the analytics support never returning (or even fielding!) kicks, but the analytics don’t take account of what a great KO or punt return (a true explosive play) does to demoralize one’s opponent. I get that every kick return carries potential for mistakes and retrograde movement, but so does every throw in the passing game. But, subject to the “Bowling Green Exception,” do elite teams ever abandon the passing game because there is some statistical likelihood of a potential bad result on any given pass?🤷🏼‍♂️

We aren’t going to win the West by pursuing the title gingerly, on tip-toes. We’re going to win it by pursuing it with an all-out effort on offense, defense and special teams.

Last edited:

Kill is delusional re Minnesota. I see the perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone when we play them next year: 1. Shut Kill up and put him in his place and 2. Get Fleck motivated to crush an inferior non-conference opponent.

After that, I hope Kill finds peace professionally and personally. Sounds like he’s doing poorly on both fronts lately.
I see the perfect opportunity in the opposite direction. Kill wins, shuts Fleck fan boys / Kill haters up on here and shows PJ he needs to abandon Tresselball.

People talk about Tanner’s regression (which I think will be magically “cured” with KC as OC and Simon as co-OC), but less remarked upon is our clear regression, or loss of nerve, on punt and KO returns. I know of very few elite teams that choose never to return punts or KOs. I find it strange how we have abandoned the offensive potential of punt and KO return teams.

Maybe the analytics support never returning (or even fielding!) kicks, but the analytics don’t take account of what a great KO or punt return (a true explosive play) does to demoralize one’s opponent. I get that a kick return carries potential for mistakes and retrograde movement, but so does every throw in the passing game. And do elite teams abandon the passing game over fear of a potential bad result in any given pass? … Well, maybe I need to re-phrase that last question.

100%. There is risk reward calculation and looking back historically teams will lose a few muffs deep on their end at times but same logic applies to bringing extra defenders, or putting the ball in the air. Bad things can happen. Splash plays are an exciting part of the game, and beyond that the yards gained on field position are so important particularly with a constipated offensive philosophy. The only thing I can figure is they really don’t have a guy with sure hands that also has quicks on the team right now. That is concerning for me.

Maybe the analytics support never returning (or even fielding!) kicks, but the analytics don’t take account of what a great KO or punt return (a true explosive play) does to demoralize one’s opponent. I get that every kick return carries potential for mistakes and retrograde movement, but so does every throw in the passing game. And do elite teams abandon the passing game over fear of a potential bad result for any given pass? … 🤷🏼‍♂️
Good lord we need to move on from this KR thing. Clearly the staff trusted Irving to return kicks, because he was doing it early in the year, then had to stop doing it when all the injuries at RB happened and then returned to doing it for the Wisconsin game.

During that game, Wisconsin was actively trying to kick away from Irving and the Gophers were doing what they could to get the ball to him on kickoffs.

If we have some depth at RB next year again I would fully expect Irving to be back there returning kicks and running them out on a regular basis.

I was not bothered at all by the way we handled punt returns this year. We saw first hand what could happen when the returner has to move a ton to go try and catch the ball as we narrowly avoided a massive disaster right at the end of the first half. If we don't come up with the muffed punt, Wisconsin potentially adds to their lead and the game turns out very different.

I see the perfect opportunity in the opposite direction. Kill wins, shuts Fleck fan boys / Kill haters up on here and shows PJ he needs to abandon Tresselball.

Kill has some experience stealing games, IIRC. It’s hard to overstate how interested I am in this game for a lot of reasons. Pure entertainment.

Kill has some experience stealing games, IIRC. It’s hard to overstate how interested I am in this game for a lot of reasons. Pure entertainment.
Agreed, but I can't think of any games he "stole" with us. At NIU a signature win of his was against a 3-9 Gopher team.

Agreed, but I can't think of any games he "stole" with us. At NIU a signature win of his was against a 3-9 Gopher team.

Did we have any egregious losses against bad teams this year? I don’t expect that to happen again but even in 2019 the team played down to middling to bad competition. The guys may not be as “up” for this one as the coaches and Kill will probably pull out all the stops with nothing to lose.

Top Bottom